Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14955282 times)

dazz1, Vince, shakalnokturn and 87 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #69600 on: September 16, 2020, 09:29:58 pm »
hmmmmm.  who just said:

"Bitch, imo break my foot off in yo ass if you jinx me."

karma.  do not mess with karma.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #69601 on: September 16, 2020, 09:34:34 pm »
@med:

fixing those 2 tweeters is 130 € each.

The 2 crossovers, if I send them in: 250€. I guess I'll just source the parts ...

The woofer: have to ask how much my friend wants for reconing and recentering.
but tbh I think the crossover is dead as the tweeter fuse was blown in this speaker and the capacitors are well beyond EOL (about 15 years).

Bloody hell.
2 MKTs 70 uF, 250V, 5%, 2 MKPs 4.2 uF, 250V, 1 MKT 56 uF 250V per crossover.

All somewhat unobtainium.
This does not at all match the drawing I got for this crossover ...

Thinking of: 2 MKPs 68uF, 2 MKPs 4,2 uF, 1 MKP 56uF.

Does it matter if you substitute MKTs with MKPs ? 2x 68 uF seems to be not too far off the beam when looking at the schematic which states 130 for the woofer ...

I need to call the manufacturer.

also, those larger caps are 20 € a piece.
I am starting to think: why bother and just send it in for service and spit out the 125€ incl. parts ...

Now I hate that I do not have an LCR meter right here next to me.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69602 on: September 16, 2020, 09:40:15 pm »
Similar. I did consider hauling my arse up to Brum to pick up that Telequipment CT71 curve tracer but after running the fuel numbers through my calculator I stopped looking at it when it went above 20 quid. It ended at 185 which is quite frankly insane.

When I made the 8 hour round trip to Gettysburg in July it was just about $50 USD in gas. Plus a toll which I forget how much. Considering what I got (The 2 HP counters, B&K counter,  and a Type 561B) it was worth it.

Edit....Dummy me. I got to meet Nixiefreqq.  :-DD

and i can confirm that med's avatar is 99% accurate.  (put a pink floyd t shirt on papa smurf and you could not tell them apart).
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69603 on: September 16, 2020, 09:45:53 pm »
@bd139,

Saw this and thought you might appreciate it  :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69604 on: September 16, 2020, 09:51:46 pm »
Hahahahaha thank you  :-DD

One down, 20 million to go  8)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69605 on: September 16, 2020, 09:52:59 pm »
@med:

fixing those 2 tweeters is 130 € each.

The 2 crossovers, if I send them in: 250€. I guess I'll just source the parts ...

The woofer: have to ask how much my friend wants for reconing and recentering.
but tbh I think the crossover is dead as the tweeter fuse was blown in this speaker and the capacitors are well beyond EOL (about 15 years).

Bloody hell.
2 MKTs 70 uF, 250V, 5%, 2 MKPs 4.2 uF, 250V, 1 MKT 56 uF 250V per crossover.

All somewhat unobtainium.
This does not at all match the drawing I got for this crossover ...

Thinking of: 2 MKPs 68uF, 2 MKPs 4,2 uF, 1 MKP 56uF.

Does it matter if you substitute MKTs with MKPs ? 2x 68 uF seems to be not too far off the beam when looking at the schematic which states 130 for the woofer ...

I need to call the manufacturer.

also, those larger caps are 20 € a piece.
I am starting to think: why bother and just send it in for service and spit out the 125€ incl. parts ...

Now I hate that I do not have an LCR meter right here next to me.

Those horrid crossover networks is why I’m designing a fully active system and doing the filtering upstream. Still trying to work out where I can get nice cabinets.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #69606 on: September 16, 2020, 10:19:31 pm »
seems that the intertechnik capacitors are prone to failure. Hrmpf. I'll swap them out first.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #69607 on: September 16, 2020, 10:30:56 pm »
So bd... when are you moving to Cambridge...?  :-DD

Last I heard he had seen sense, and was thinking of somewhere with a noticeable amount of ink (any/all colours) on a 1:50000 OS map :)

Cambridge is a fun place (or was when I was there in the 80s). But the countryside is dismal, perhaps a smaller version of Saskatchewan.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69608 on: September 16, 2020, 10:35:25 pm »
Urrrkkk... just slipped & fell down the stairs on my way back down after moving a shelf unit up to the bedroom. Think I broke a toe.  :-\

Ouch.

There's a significant difference between breaking a bone and buggering a joint. Bones heal. Soft tissue doesn't. I've done both.

Find walking boots with wooden (i.e. stiff) sole, but don't sleep in them in case the foot swells :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69609 on: September 16, 2020, 10:41:33 pm »
So bd... when are you moving to Cambridge...?  :-DD

Last I heard he had seen sense, and was thinking of somewhere with a noticeable amount of ink (any/all colours) on a 1:50000 OS map :)

Cambridge is a fun place (or was when I was there in the 80s). But the countryside is dismal, perhaps a smaller version of Saskatchewan.

Correct ;)

They replaced all the fun things in Cambridge with traffic and community support officers. Attempts to recreate good memories there usually result in one or the other scuppering the master plan.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69610 on: September 16, 2020, 10:42:26 pm »
Yes in the Cattle Market. 20 years ago they had all sorts of stuff. Then the MOD changed the disposal process and it all went a bit weird. Heard a rumour that one of the owners/managers whatever got locked up for dodgy dealing. The burn down in the cattle market fire a few years ago.

I remember H Gee's in Mill Rd in the 80s.

I bought a meter there ti use as my Landie's fuel guage. Fun to think of fuel capacity being measured in Roentgens/hour :)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69611 on: September 16, 2020, 10:46:33 pm »
Attempts to recreate good memories there usually result in one or the other scuppering the master plan.

Never attempt to "go back".

You are now a different person, and you can't recreate your past. Cue the lyrics to the theme tune of "Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads".

The best outcome is that you remember what compelled you to leave in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:52:03 pm by tggzzz »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69612 on: September 16, 2020, 10:55:54 pm »
Yes I’ve learned that these days. Took enough years to work it out  :-DD

What compelled me to leave was lack of cash which restricted choice to living in the badlands  :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #69613 on: September 16, 2020, 11:01:37 pm »
@bd139,

Extra crispy!

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69614 on: September 17, 2020, 12:37:53 am »
Some brief test equipment repair before bed:  My Agilent U1242A bailed out on me the other day when I went to do some work on the car.  Not a problem, I grabbed another DMM (throw back to the post I made about how I think having more than one is absolutely necessary) and did most of what I needed to get done.

Most likely culprit is the batteries but this is my most frequently used DMM since I got it several months ago and I don’t recall seeing a warning indicator come on.

1068272-0

And there.  Third terminal from the left.

1068276-1

Frig.  Frig.  Frig.   I thought GPs were supposed to be good about not leaking. I don’t know if they’re original to the meter or installed at its last calibration or not since Keysight ships new handheld gear with them.  Luckily it didn’t get bad before I found it and I was able to lightly run over the junk on the contacts with a small flathead screwdriver and get it off.

1068280-2

A new set of batteries later and the cover screwed back down and I have a happy U1242A again which means I’m happy again.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69615 on: September 17, 2020, 01:07:07 am »
Frig.  Frig.  Frig.   I thought GPs were supposed to be good about not leaking. ...

They are, leastways I've never had a problem with them. I have, however, a sneaking suspicion that they have gained a good enough reputation, and a high enough profile, that someone may have started counterfeiting them. My latest batch of GPs, bought from a different source than I usually get them from, have exhibited suspiciously low capacity.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #69616 on: September 17, 2020, 01:39:00 am »
On Driving, 2 hours each way is about my limit these days. I used to do regular runs from the south coast to Yorkshire hitting Anchor Surplus, M&B Radio, John's Radio and a radio rally. All gone now (well technically Anchor are still trading but not what they used to be and no TE).
About 18 months ago I did a run up to Edinburgh, not picking up, delivering. I'd put a Schaffner transient generator on ebay as "collection only". It was 3 6U 19" cases each about 30-40kg. So it sold for £2500 and they buyer wanted it delivered |O. I said £0.60 a mile each way plus cost of a hotel for the night and they said OK :palm:
I did OK on the deal overall. The Fiat Croma 150hp  turbo diesel averaged 55 MPG on the run. Profit on the unit was pretty good. I'd bought it on ebay for 99p including a dual remote controlled variac, High speed highvoltage relays, 6' rack, Shaffner voltage pick-up clamp, bunch of quality coaxial cables, etc which I kept  >:D.

I've driven to Aachen in Germany, no not to visit Helmut Singer, to pick up a gas turbine engine, one of my other hobbies is small jet engines. I did visit Singer while I was there and picked up a couple of heavy items from his clearance list and some geiger counters agin in heavy boxes. Not surised singer went bust, his prices were far too high.

Yeah... that's exactly the kind of deal I was talkin' aboot. But you know...

I don't run into those deals near as often since I stopped bein' the guy who'd      at the drop of a hat... you think there might be a correlation there...?  :-DD

mnem
Carpe' Diem/Crappe' Diem - flip sides of the same coin. ~me
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69617 on: September 17, 2020, 01:49:01 am »
@bd139,

Y'all missed the photo op 5 minutes later...  >:D

mnem
Oh.... goood meds...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69618 on: September 17, 2020, 02:28:08 am »
@mnem get better soon

Thanks dearheart... and all the rest of y'all well-wishin' the tore-up ol' dwagon.  :-+

I Found a few Vicodin, taught my son how to do a co-phalangeal "Buddy" tape splint, plopped my sorry achin' arse in the couch and nodded off while watching Fullmetal Alchemist with him. Overall, I think the good outweighed the bad.

Every experience is a learning opportunity. ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:33:29 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69619 on: September 17, 2020, 02:32:03 am »
hmmmmm.  who just said:   "Bitch, imo break my foot off in yo ass if you jinx me."   karma.  do not mess with karma.   

Karma? Sweet girl; dated her all through college. Twice.  >:D

mnem
Married her the second time. :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #69620 on: September 17, 2020, 02:52:51 am »
@mnem get better soon

Thanks dearheart... and all the rest of y'all well-wishin' the tore-up ol' dwagon.  :-+

I Found a few Vicodin, taught my son how to do a co-phalangeal "Buddy" tape splint, plopped my sorry achin' arse in the couch and nodded off while watching Fullmetal Alchemist with him. Overall, I think the good outweighed the bad.

Every experience is a learning opportunity. ;)

mnem

Get well quick mnem, they shoot horses don't they....injured dwagons are next !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69621 on: September 17, 2020, 03:13:17 am »

I'm 99% positive this is exactly what happened; it took 2 days to get to me once sent. That is why I was trying to call eBay Customer Support; a problem like this would take but a jiffy with someone on the phone as their records should show I paid for eBay GSP but didn't get it. They may or may not even involve the seller in a dispute process as a result.

But since January, every coprolite entity in the world has been taking advantage of the COVID fustercluck to eviscerate customer service; I guess I should not be surprised at this development. :palm:

Since fleaBay is playing absentee landlord here, I guess I'm going to have to go to PayPal and climb their support structure; they probably still have a direct line to fleaBay support. Hopefully PP still has people on the phones.

mnem

"This is PayPal support, how may I help you?"....skip....pop
"This is PayPal support, how may I help you?"....skip....pop
"This is PayPal support, how may I help you?"....skip....pop...   
:P :P :-DD
I decided to try the     first; I've messaged AllTest a scan of the FEDEX invoice, explained politely that I already paid for eBay GSP which includes all duty and tariffs, and and asked him to make it right.   We'll see what happens next.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Welp, some progress; not sure if it's positive.

First off, fleaBay has changed the way they deal with phone support, but evidently they do still have it. You have to actually bother to go through their maze of customer support articles (I checked out one about eBay Global Shipping), and at the bottom you will find a link to "Call Me" at the number registered to your account.

I guess this is to weed out the wingnuts & douchebags who can't read (or can't be bothered to read) a short article and just want to call and bitch eBay out for whatever reason, whether real or imagined. I suspect it does at least cut down on the number of drunks & stoners they have to fend off.   :P

Anyhoo... I contacted the seller, and after a couple days of conversation, he tells me it was due to me me sending a request for total and asking if there was any way he could offer a repeat customer discount. He claims that somehow this automagically booted me off the eBay GST program.  ::)

When I checked out through my dashboard, the eBay checkout specifically stated I was paying for eBay GSP, and that there would be no further charges for duty, HST, etc. It even gave me a breakdown of shipping, duty and local sales tax that I was paying for. |O

So... I went through eBay's Support pages, clicked on the link, and in approx 12 minutes, I received a call back from a woman with a thick Paki accent, who confirmed my identity and took my information, and then waited patiently while I explained what had happened, and that I had no idea how to proceed since it was now more than a month after the transaction concluded.

She explained that I would receive an eMail from them shortly, and that they would do an investigation and let me know their determination.

Not sure how I feel about this in general; I really don't have time for this petty BS right now. But at least I did SOMETHING to resolve it, so it'll stop niggling at me.  :-//

mnem
*toddles off to do some schoolwork with the daughter unit*

AllTest Shipping Hoopla Update:

I thought I was toddling off to ded, but I just received a You've got money! jingle from PayPal. I thought we'd reached an impasse in our discussion, but Jody at AllTest refunded me the difference between the shipping portion of the eBay GSP bill and what he charged me for just shipping; US$26. As that is only about $7 less than the FEDEX bill, I decided best to give him the benefit of the doubt & just chalk it all up to miscommunication.  :-//

TL/DR: I am now a happy repeat customer again! w00t! w00t! Alltest w00t!   :-+

mnem
"Would you rather be right, or would you rather be happy...?"

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #69622 on: September 17, 2020, 03:59:32 am »

Edit: footnote. Never live in Nottingham City area. Total fucking shit hole of a place.

I spent Easter 2011 in Nottingham. I've been worse places. Actually went back 2018 during our Interrail family trip because it was a convenient stop between York and Bletchley Park. 

Milton Keynes, OTOH. That's an incomprehensible "town". Since the target for the day after was the Turing shrine and Bletchley proper is too small for hotels I'd done some research on perhaps staying in MK.  Which has no center. And probably requires a introductory course for visiting like some places I've worked, where you weren't allowed to be alone anywhere unless you'd taken a full day's course in getting out... Conclusion: We found a hotel 25 meters from Nottingham Central station, and went to "Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem" for dinner.

Now, I do understand the urge to not recreate the old worst city/suburb experiences for the new people of the 50s and 60s. Let's say they did not succeed everywhere.

And as a matter of fact, while we in Sweden were mostly untouched by that regrettable city renovation pre-phase event of 1939-45, our planners felt we had to keep up with the aftermath and tore down a lot of old houses in the 50s to make room for malls, offices and concrete, too. Some of it was good, some less so. But we've got our Neubauten / New Cities!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 04:01:50 am by mansaxel »

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69623 on: September 17, 2020, 06:14:27 am »

You know, every time I get an eMail from AutoDesk/Fusion360, it's to tell me about more features they're taking away. As they still refuse to offer a reasonably-priced nonprofit/personal use subscription, I'm beginning to wonder how long before all that's left is the advertising.  :palm:

mnem
Stick a fork in me, I'm done.

that is exactly why I moved to FreeCAD.
I'm definitively missing SolidWorks but as home user the license is too expensive.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69624 on: September 17, 2020, 06:33:57 am »

Edit: footnote. Never live in Nottingham City area. Total fucking shit hole of a place.

I spent Easter 2011 in Nottingham. I've been worse places. Actually went back 2018 during our Interrail family trip because it was a convenient stop between York and Bletchley Park. 

You must be one of those people who the pianos falling out of the sky usually miss  :-DD

So today I wake up to iOS 14 which I can’t actually find any notable differences other than widgets which I don’t actually give a fuck about.   :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf