Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14976837 times)

Vince and 145 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #83950 on: February 26, 2021, 06:50:30 pm »
@Zucca, sorry, eyeing something like this.
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?action=parkItem&id=315648788

@SilverSolder you forgot the Trannies. Over here you must include the d for diverse ...
 :palm:
( I have nothing at all against trans- oder intersexuals. Anybody should be able to live their life the way they want to. But they should not emboss their choices on anybody else and make them mandatory ...)

when I once mentioned "handicapped" that redhead started yelling at me, so I said that I was legally handicapped so I was absolutely free to use that word and that she should eat her tongue and stop discriminating against me ....

We will not be friends.

I would have liked to be the fly on the wall for that conversation.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #83951 on: February 26, 2021, 06:53:46 pm »

@SilverSolder you forgot the Trannies. Over here you must include the d for diverse ...
( I have nothing at all against trans- oder intersexuals. Anybody should be able to live their life the way they want to. But they should not emboss their choices on anybody else and make them mandatory ...)

when I once mentioned "handicapped" that redhead started yelling at me, so I said that I was legally handicapped so I was absolutely free to use that word and that she should eat her tongue and stop discriminating against me ....

We will not be friends.

So, your German has been improved over night? :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83952 on: February 26, 2021, 06:59:41 pm »

We will not be friends.

So, your German has been improved over night? :D

If he could manage the transmogrification into a fly, I don't think it's that great a step to go one further and make it a German speaking fly.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, jlo

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #83953 on: February 26, 2021, 07:02:21 pm »

Having a few friends from the "trans-*" world I can promise you that it's not them making the fuss, they've got enough problems with some people's attitude towards them without actively drawing attention to their status. The people who make all the noise are the sort who want to be seen as "right on" for reasons of virtue signalling to all the other "right on" types. The same kind of people that I believe one fella called Jesus once referred to as "whitewashed sepulchres"...
I think you got me totally wrong here. I know many personally. Inter as well as trans as well as gay as well as lesbian. So, why should I eff around about their "condition" (for lack of a better word ...)
To be blunt, I don't give 2 shits of a fuck if they are trans or whatever. I will treat them with respect as long as I am treated with respect. I will gladly enter discussions on a multitude of topics with them. Their personal choices (even if caused by gender dysphoria) are their own, and they will have to shoulder the consequences. Or (looking at intersexed persons) they have to cope with the fact, that their parents forcibly assigned them to one or the other sex, and now have to cope with that. All I can offer are my sympathies.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #83954 on: February 26, 2021, 07:36:15 pm »

Having a few friends from the "trans-*" world I can promise you that it's not them making the fuss, they've got enough problems with some people's attitude towards them without actively drawing attention to their status. The people who make all the noise are the sort who want to be seen as "right on" for reasons of virtue signalling to all the other "right on" types. The same kind of people that I believe one fella called Jesus once referred to as "whitewashed sepulchres"...
I think you got me totally wrong here. I know many personally. Inter as well as trans as well as gay as well as lesbian. So, why should I eff around about their "condition" (for lack of a better word ...)
To be blunt, I don't give 2 shits of a fuck if they are trans or whatever. I will treat them with respect as long as I am treated with respect. I will gladly enter discussions on a multitude of topics with them. Their personal choices (even if caused by gender dysphoria) are their own, and they will have to shoulder the consequences. Or (looking at intersexed persons) they have to cope with the fact, that their parents forcibly assigned them to one or the other sex, and now have to cope with that. All I can offer are my sympathies.

I think @Cerebus did get you.  The way I read it, his comment was targeting your "local redhead" and not you.

"Live, and let Live!"  I totally agree with treating people with respect.  I know a husband-husband couple who are quite upstanding and treat everyone with respect.  I respect them for that.  One of them is also a mountain biker and one of the best bike mechanics I know; I'll ride bikes with him any day (knowing the humour of this crowd, I qualify ride with bikes).

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83955 on: February 26, 2021, 07:37:16 pm »

No, perhaps I didn't make my intent clear enough. I wasn't addressing your attitude, which seems fine to me. It was the "emboss their choices on anybody else and make them mandatory" bit, which in my experience isn't done by the affected folks but by others (like your redhead) who like to impress their views onto the rest of the world.

Edit: Al beat me to it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83956 on: February 26, 2021, 07:40:31 pm »
Comedy note on that. A former colleague of mine is a transsexual and the HR team had a presentation on equality and didn’t know and she corrected them on a few things rather hilariously and told them to stop signalling on behalf of her  :-DD

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #83957 on: February 26, 2021, 07:43:55 pm »

So I haven't met any person of whatever sex and orientation yet who felt discriminated by our good ol' Pre-Genderized German language. To me this appears to be a thing of a strange minded minority forcing that language rape on the majority. I also believe this minority isn't made of discriminated by gender people but rather some kind of posers that pull the right strings on some muppets. So, as long as the broad mass doesn't complain to much, it'll just happen. I chose to ignore it, I won't change my language and I chose not to be disgusted when reading or listening that new speech (though it's disgusting). Same I did with the "Rechtschreibreform" (change of spelling) back then, I just continue to use the old spelling. Anyhow, I'm quite disgusted by seeing some TV news and newspapers adapting that genderized stuff.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:48:04 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #83958 on: February 26, 2021, 07:46:35 pm »

Still on the uphill side. :palm: It's this house; I didn't get this much accumulation in over a year at the other place. This also explains why my indoor allergies have been kicking my arse so much worse this winter. :P

mnem
I'll be baaack...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #83959 on: February 26, 2021, 07:50:38 pm »

We will not be friends.

Of course you won't be friends. You are pointing out that her job (and possibly her attitudes and raison d'etre) are politically correctness run wild.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #83960 on: February 26, 2021, 07:56:05 pm »

Still on the uphill side. :palm: It's this house; I didn't get this much accumulation in over a year at the other place. This also explains why my indoor allergies have been kicking my arse so much worse this winter. :P

mnem
I'll be baaack...

Time to fix the vacuum as well?  Scope creep happens not only at work....  That sort of thing is why I feel like I never get anything done at home, including acquiring TE.

By chance, does the new house have a lot of carpet?  That might be the likely culprit.  Forced-air heating might be a factor as well.

Maybe the computer issue is a blessing in disguise by providing clues to take care of your allergies becoming worse.  Hoping for you the chance to reduce the allergies!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83961 on: February 26, 2021, 07:59:20 pm »
Got a TDR1502 (not working for parts) for small money some days ago.
I selected this against a (more expensive) working one, as the working had no cover and seemed to have been kicked around more. And a working one would lack the fun of repair...  :-+

First thing was removing the chart recorder. And it had ugly goo all around where once the rubber drum transported the paper  :scared:
1182616-0
So I had to disassemble the whole chart recorder and clean up the mess. I measuredestimated the size to 14mm diameter, so I ordered silicone tube with 6/10 and 10/14mm diameter to try a cheap repair first (I know a service that rebuilds rubber drums, but this is not the cheapest solution).

I dismantled the TDR and the dead PB battery was removed. After I found a dead capacitor, the unit powered up, but no backlight. Inverter was humming and I measured 0V after removing the display and let it run on the bench, so the EL foil is dead.
The rest seem to work OK, after cleaning I reassembled it.

Today I got the silicone tube and I cut one piece each and  washed it carefully. After drying, I assembled the silicone to the shaft and trimmed it with a sharp cutter to the correct length. Reassembling everything, I assured the drum will transport the paper. Some gorilla had broken the knob to fix the module to the TDR, so I printed a replacement.

1182620-1

Installing it to the TDR and throwing the power switch, I waited for some magic smoke, but nothing happened.  :-+
So I used a 2m 6.56167979ft BNC cable and pressed the print button. Paper was slowly ejected...

1182624-2

:-+  :-+  :-+

1182628-3

So the only remaining problem is the backlight, will buy a new EL sheet and try to attach it to the display. Or I have to get a diffusor from a broken flat screen and try with LEDs.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #83962 on: February 26, 2021, 08:10:23 pm »
Got a TDR1502 (not working for parts) for small money some days ago.

Congrats, looks like you made a good catch. It's a really interesting and useful instrument. So e.g. one can discover RG58 labelled BNC cables that are 60 Ohms instead of 50, or discover that suspiciously looking  RG178 is actually RG179 ...
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83963 on: February 26, 2021, 08:17:49 pm »
Very nice.

Ideal for damp hamfest coax then  :popcorn:

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83964 on: February 26, 2021, 08:57:31 pm »
oh crap....my hp 8569b boatanchor spectrum analyzer was borked.

everything was 30 dB down from where it should be.   got lucky and tracked the problem to a 22 Ghz 50 ohm transmission line relay.

both the NC and NO ports were open all the time even though you could hear the relay clicking when energized.

found one on ebay ($18) and was emboldened when its status came up as "out for delivery" this morning.  pulled the wonky one out and drilled a 3/32 hole in its port side about half way up.  (kept the vacuum cleaner nozzle right on the bit to capture the chips).  looked inside and realized my luck.  2mm lower and the bit would have chewed into some of the working parts!  squirted some contact cleaner in and then exercised the relay a couple of dozen times.  damned if it did not come good! 

stuck it back in place and now my SA is back to normal.   walked up out of the basement and found the new relay on the porch. (it also tests good).

then checked my email and my old boss now in florida informed me that he put 4 relays in the mail and they should arrive tuesday.  (he is a not just a doodler like me......he is a microwave wizzard).

what the hell am i gonna' do with 5 spare relays?   

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139, beanflying, Kosmic

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #83965 on: February 26, 2021, 09:01:28 pm »
what the hell am i gonna' do with 5 spare relays?
:-DD
What a fortunate problem !  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83966 on: February 26, 2021, 09:14:20 pm »
found a couple of components ...

Fractral Design Define Nano ITX case
500 W Bequiet SFX PSU
Fujitsu D3634 Mainboard (mini-ITX industrial
32 GB RAM
i5-8400 6core
240GB 2260 NVME SSD
plus, I still have either a 1660 TI or a 2060 to throw in ...

all that is missing is the bloody io shield.

Anybody in need of a small PC ?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83967 on: February 26, 2021, 09:19:10 pm »
Snip-
"so I said that I was legally handicapped"
Snip-
Shit, what the fuck did you do then for the authorities to do that?   :-DD

Makes mental note to oneself that Germany should be reported to the ECJ for human rights abuse
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83968 on: February 26, 2021, 09:54:56 pm »
sorry, my English is far from perfect, my murican barely recognizable.

I am handicapped due to childhood abuse and it took a legal battle with the authorities to get the official status of a handicapped person.

Just to be abused during childhood is not enough, you have to sue the state to at least be recognized as handicapped (which somewhat protects your employment status, i.e. they cannot fire you easily)

:P

And yes, feel free to report this state to the ECJ for human rights abuse.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83969 on: February 26, 2021, 09:57:13 pm »
just wanted to play a quick game of Battletech ...
and found out that it is a 35 GB download.

WTF ...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83970 on: February 26, 2021, 10:46:24 pm »
sorry, my English is far from perfect, my murican barely recognizable.

I am handicapped due to childhood abuse and it took a legal battle with the authorities to get the official status of a handicapped person.

Just to be abused during childhood is not enough, you have to sue the state to at least be recognized as handicapped (which somewhat protects your employment status, i.e. they cannot fire you easily)

:P

And yes, feel free to report this state to the ECJ for human rights abuse.

Sorry, I didn’t  mean it that way, I was thinking outside the box, like the government had you kneecapped etc. As a legal form of punishment etc. I didn’t mean to drag up your passed suffering. 🤭
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #83971 on: February 26, 2021, 10:48:55 pm »
   Still on the uphill side. :palm:

It's this house; I didn't get this much accumulation in over a year at the other place. This also explains why my indoor allergies have been kicking my arse so much worse this winter. :P

mnem
I'll be baaack...

Time to fix the vacuum as well?  Scope creep happens not only at work....  That sort of thing is why I feel like I never get anything done at home, including acquiring TE.

By chance, does the new house have a lot of carpet?  That might be the likely culprit.  Forced-air heating might be a factor as well.

Maybe the computer issue is a blessing in disguise by providing clues to take care of your allergies becoming worse.  Hoping for you the chance to reduce the allergies!

No, I fixxored the dirtsucker a couple weeks ago as the house had reached critical mass and you know... spring cleaning, etc. Good thing; I've been using it heavily to clean my little crudpuppy out. Has required disassembling pretty much everything with a fan on it.

I'm on the downhill side... things are going back together now. Reseated all cables, RAM, NVMe drives and tested it with my old video card and it came up with the RAID provisioning tab in BIOS. Looked horrible plugged into the old TV on the side table; 1080i is not easy on the eyes.

My usual solution for this issue is to put the CPU up on bricks to get it up off the floor; but I did that already and it's still sucking dust like a Hoover. I think maybe I'll reverse the fans on both rads so it pulls downdraft through the top of the case (it has a electrostatic filter there) and blows out through the rear case fan and front cover instead of pulling in through it.

Now cleaning my 2080 Super and its radiator; then we'll see aboot redirecting the airflow.

mnem
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 10:51:14 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83972 on: February 26, 2021, 10:49:41 pm »

We will not be friends.

There is definitely a continuum when it comes to sensitivity to gender related issues:

Insensitive (prejudiced)  -->  Normal  -->  Oversensitive (Apophenia, Pareidolia)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83973 on: February 26, 2021, 11:18:49 pm »
There is a new video from Marco Reps.
Topic today: a 8.5 digit voltmeter from CERN

Finally got around to watching that this evening and it’s quite impressive. Definitely beyond my budget and skills but the interesting take home is the usage of Grafana and Jupyter Notebook. Thanks for posting  :-+

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83974 on: February 26, 2021, 11:24:58 pm »
I was a bit disappointed, because I was hoping that the folks at CERN had come up with some non-obvious refinements of the state of the art rather than just throwing money at the problem (e.g. expensive ADC, expensive thermal control).

My takeaway was "You can do successful vapour-phase reflow that easily?". I literally hit eBay immediately afterward to see if I could find an easy source of Galden thermofluid.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf