Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15127354 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #90475 on: May 11, 2021, 08:56:06 am »
Checking on the arrivals for Stanstead Airport I notice there was a fairly rare Antonov 124-100 coming in this evening from Istanbul and it was touch and go if I'd be able to get a shot or two of it before the sun went down, and here is one, bathed in the evening golden sunlight, another 5 minutes and the light had gone completely.

I'll bet the Russians would love to get the one and only AN-225 back from the Ukrainians even though it got recently bent up a bit from a landing accident.

That was a -124, unless the -225 has had an accident I haven't heard about!  :-//
I have also seen the 225 on the ground loading at Manston a few years ago and also watched it climb out from there.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:58:42 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #90476 on: May 11, 2021, 08:57:26 am »
OK, let's have fun with TEA!
Today: checking the reference frequency output of my radio clock (not converted to OCXO version):

Feed its output and the 10MHz GPSDO reference into a pair of these:

The signal generators are set to 100MHz output (multiply the 10MHz input by ten), and the 100MHz outputs are in turn fed to this contraption:

It's a 90* phase shifted coupler and two mixers. These convert the difference of the two 100MHz signals to a nice I/Q signal (at DC).
One can show this on a scope in XY mode:

Or use the frequency counter to see the residual difference frequency (times ten):

Here one can see some TCXO PWM control residue as side peaks of the 10MHz output:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:59:25 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker, BU508A, med6753, 1Ghz, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, DC1MC, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #90477 on: May 11, 2021, 09:04:08 am »
Now reduce the Span right down.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90478 on: May 11, 2021, 09:05:03 am »
A few days ago I posted a picture here of the Russian Spitfire from Hangar 11 collection, and it has now been published in the Daily Mail as this link shows more details and photos of it being flown for an air 2 air photoshoot and I got help push this lovely old war bird back into its hangar on its return.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9563659/Wrecked-Russia-1945-loaned-Red-Army-Spitfire-2million-makeover.html#readerCommentsCommand-message-field
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #90479 on: May 11, 2021, 10:36:44 am »
OK, let's have fun with TEA!
Today: checking the reference frequency output of my radio clock (not converted to OCXO version):

Feed its output and the 10MHz GPSDO reference into a pair of these:

The signal generators are set to 100MHz output (multiply the 10MHz input by ten), and the 100MHz outputs are in turn fed to this contraption:

It's a 90* phase shifted coupler and two mixers. These convert the difference of the two 100MHz signals to a nice I/Q signal (at DC).
One can show this on a scope in XY mode:

Or use the frequency counter to see the residual difference frequency (times ten):

Here one can see some TCXO PWM control residue as side peaks of the 10MHz output:

Love those Anritsu's too!!..
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90480 on: May 11, 2021, 10:49:43 am »
Of course USPS can't do what they are chartered to do. Ergo, deliver packages on time. The 6BY8 tube has been sitting at Newark, NJ distribution center since May 8th. Was supposed to be delivered today. Not happening. It dropped into a black hole.  :palm:

Assholes  |O (Count up how many times I've said that  :-DD)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #90481 on: May 11, 2021, 11:08:01 am »
Look what the wife gave me :)))))

Love the LaMetric...

its a bluetooth speaker and display weather and stuff..
nice app the add also custom things... cool  8)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, 1Ghz, mnementh, capt bullshot, ch_scr, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90482 on: May 11, 2021, 11:09:41 am »
Enjoy and Happy Birthday! :-D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #90483 on: May 11, 2021, 11:12:37 am »
Yum, have a good one Tony.  :clap:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #90484 on: May 11, 2021, 11:15:34 am »
Of course USPS can't do what they are chartered to do. Ergo, deliver packages on time. The 6BY8 tube has been sitting at Newark, NJ distribution center since May 8th. Was supposed to be delivered today. Not happening. It dropped into a black hole.  :palm:

DeJoy not giving you de joy?  :-\

He's saving the USPS from bankruptcy - you best be glad it even exists!

I'm ordering anything I can from Amazon or an Amazon seller. I ordered a female to female N adapter Saturday. It arrived the next day from (presumably) from a warehouse locally delivered by an Amazon van. Of all the things they would stock they had that part there. And delivered on Sunday!
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #90485 on: May 11, 2021, 11:20:53 am »

I'm ordering anything I can from Amazon or an Amazon seller. I ordered a female to female N adapter Saturday. It arrived the next day from (presumably) from a warehouse locally delivered by an Amazon van. Of all the things they would stock they had that part there. And delivered on Sunday!

And by slavishly using Amazon for more and more you (I include us all here) are slowly seeing the end of any chance of small local retails survival and even mid to large wholesale/retail suppliers. This shitstorm started a long while ago with Costoco etal and Amazon is the evolution of the model of decimate and dominate as a corporate plan.  :--
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90486 on: May 11, 2021, 11:25:31 am »
And by slavishly using Amazon for more and more you (I include us all here) are slowly seeing the end of any chance of small local retails survival and even mid to large wholesale/retail suppliers. This shitstorm started a long while ago with Costoco etal and Amazon is the evolution of the model of decimate and dominate as a corporate plan.  :--

What do you want me to do about it.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90487 on: May 11, 2021, 11:28:06 am »

DeJoy is an idiot. He proved he has no clue as to what goes on in what he is supposed to manage.

USPS will jump through hoops if it's an Amazon package including delivering on Sunday. I've seen them in action and I suspect Amazon dings them if they are late. But any other package is "when we feel like it"

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90488 on: May 11, 2021, 11:29:09 am »

Like all of us we should consider what it is doing to our communities that is all. Anything specialty retail is going or has gone the way of the Dodo and mid level is heading that way.

It doesn't mean don't use them just think if what you are ordering. Cutting out local whenever you can is ultimately cutting your own throat.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #90489 on: May 11, 2021, 11:33:57 am »
May Odin give me insight what's going on with Ethereum right now ...

Through the roof, and transaction fees also sky high.
Someone is apparently shifting assets and buying like crazy.

(don't get me wrong, I am not complaining ...)

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #90490 on: May 11, 2021, 11:38:40 am »
(don't get me wrong, I am not complaining ...)

Don't forget to sell at the right time ;)
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90491 on: May 11, 2021, 11:39:09 am »

Like all of us we should consider what it is doing to our communities that is all. Anything specialty retail is going or has gone the way of the Dodo and mid level is heading that way.

It doesn't mean don't use them just think if what you are ordering. Cutting out local whenever you can is ultimately cutting your own throat.

Let's be honest here there are a few factors that are affecting local communities:

1. Migration of first world countries to service industries.
2. 90% of retail purchases are unnecessary lumps of conspicuous consumption and that is dying off in favour of necessity and experiences.
3. Neatly moving on to entertainment and experience have replaced the desire to own things.
4. Local businesses as a rule offer the worst experience, service and support unless they are very niche and most of those are doing online trading now because a singular local area doesn't have enough customers to sustain business.

Quite frankly everyone's living a pipe dream of local being best. It's a lie and a cunning piece of marketing.

Your community is more than local businesses. It's parks, sports, recreation, social interactions, events and leisure and we're being sold a lie by a dying sector that it's about local businesses selling tat that no one wants or needs any more.

Loom smashers can stay in the last century thanks.

Edit: We're all getting old here as a rule and remember the old days with rose-tinted glasses but looking objectively the whole line of thinking which our lives started on, pre-internet mostly, is obsolete. We gained so much since then and killed off our isolationist territorial tendencies which I think are really what drives "local is best". That and the desire to show status through ownership which again was just a post-war boom marketing scheme that we were sold no more valid than a useless chunk of rock stuck to a woman's finger being sign of love. It's dead. That whole world is gone. Thank fuck. It was horrible and stupid.

Also we're just a bunch of monkeys on a rock floating in space. Locality is a matter of perspective. Change is inevitable.

Sorry rant over.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:52:20 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, mindcrime, BILLPOD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90492 on: May 11, 2021, 11:39:10 am »
This one is for Saskia:

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90493 on: May 11, 2021, 11:50:47 am »

Let's be honest here there are a few factors that are affecting local communities:

2. 90% of retail purchases are unnecessary lumps of conspicuous consumption and that is dying off in favour of necessity and experiences.
3. Neatly moving on to entertainment and experience have replaced the desire to own things.
4. Local businesses as a rule offer the worst experience, service and support unless they are very niche and most of those are doing online trading now because a singular local area doesn't have enough customers to sustain business.

Quite frankly everyone's living a pipe dream of local being best. It's a lie and a cunning piece of marketing.

Your community is more than local businesses. It's parks, sports, recreation, social interactions, events and leisure and we're being sold a lie by a dying sector that it's about local businesses selling tat that no one wants or needs any more.

Edit: We're all getting old here as a rule and remember the old days with rose-tinted glasses but looking objectively the whole line of thinking which our lives started on, pre-internet mostly, is obsolete. We gained so much since then and killed off our isolationist territorial tendencies which I think are really what drives "local is best". That and the desire to show status through ownership which again was just a post-war boom marketing scheme that we were sold no more valid than a useless chunk of rock stuck to a woman's finger being sign of love. It's dead. That whole world is gone. Thank fuck. It was horrible and stupid.

Also we're just a bunch of monkeys on a rock floating in space. Locality is a matter of perspective...

Sorry rant over.

Seeing a bunch of shopping malls bulldozed over and returned to a natural state wouldn't bother me in the least. In fact, I welcome it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90494 on: May 11, 2021, 11:52:58 am »

2. 90% of retail purchases are unnecessary lumps of conspicuous consumption and that is dying off in favour of necessity.
3. Entertainment and experience have replaced things.

Quite frankly everyone's living a pipe dream of local being best.

Local Businesses and in particular Small Business were among the largest employers. I think the decline and direction is likely irreversible at least in Country Oz and at minimum I need to have freighted in from Melbourne raw materials due to this dumbing down of retail to Big Box style stores not carrying what is needed.

If we take Electronic components then what was here 6 or 7 years ago was a 'reasonablely' run by a Lady Engineer Store with a great idea of what her customers needed including a mix of the usual E-Toys and PC gear to keep the component side viable. She retired and  the low cost PC making entity that brought her business fucked it totally in two years due mainly to NFI and the rise of Evilbay/Amazon for a lot of what they used to carry. I now have a poor attempt at an Electronics store 2 1/2 hours away which certainly isn't worth the drive to be disappointed.

The lack of quality support be it repair or service of goods is also screwing us over as the solution becomes junk it and buy another 2-3 year solution for the least possible $ from Evilbay/Amazon.

Living in a major Capital I suggest you are out of touch with small retail and community as the jobs in YOUR area are certainly more likely to be Service or Government ones. We unlike you do not have same or even next day delivery and fortunately so far AmazonOz sucks Donkey Balls.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90495 on: May 11, 2021, 12:10:15 pm »

Also we're just a bunch of monkeys on a rock floating in space. Locality is a matter of perspective. Change is inevitable.

Sorry rant over.

Seeing a bunch of shopping malls bulldozed over and returned to a natural state wouldn't bother me in the least. In fact, I welcome it.

I was going to the local mall three times a week to walk several miles inside. Now that it's warmer I'll go to a local park. But in that mall - is nearly NOTHING now. If there was a store that sold N to N adapters I'd probably have purchased one inside. There used to be - Radio Shack - but it has been gone for years. Not sure if even they would have had that adapter in the little drawers.

I'd say it's ~ 90% empty except for J.C. Penney and a few more stores, They are trying to get entertainment and services going in there to "save" it. They got a Sea Quest, a hobby car racing club, a small 5D theater, a church of all things (open one day a week  :P ). I can't understand how they can keep they whole thing open when there is so little inside. Otherwise it's a place fit for the YT crowd that documents failing malls. The point is I'm going to a local shopping center but they provide nothing I need!

Amazon is providing a service. They are doing a good job or I (or others) wouldn't order things from them. They employ people. They deliver on Sunday. Sorry but the world is changing (has it ever NOT changed?).

As Dylan wrote "Better learn how to swim or you'll sink like a stone. The times they are a 'chang-ing"

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90496 on: May 11, 2021, 12:53:42 pm »
Local Businesses and in particular Small Business were among the largest employers. I think the decline and direction is likely irreversible at least in Country Oz and at minimum I need to have freighted in from Melbourne raw materials due to this dumbing down of retail to Big Box style stores not carrying what is needed.

And that was a really terrible thing. The majority of small businesses are run like personality cults for the business owners and the employees are usually paid absolute rock bottom minimum wage while being repetitively screwed. I know - I worked for a couple of them, so did my mother. In fact my mother worked for the stereotypical small business here for many years which was a radio repair shop. Getting paid reliably and actually surviving is surprisingly difficult.

If we take Electronic components then what was here 6 or 7 years ago was a 'reasonablely' run by a Lady Engineer Store with a great idea of what her customers needed including a mix of the usual E-Toys and PC gear to keep the component side viable. She retired and  the low cost PC making entity that brought her business fucked it totally in two years due mainly to NFI and the rise of Evilbay/Amazon for a lot of what they used to carry. I now have a poor attempt at an Electronics store 2 1/2 hours away which certainly isn't worth the drive to be disappointed.

Well that's a fine example of what I'm suggesting is the outcome. We had the same evolution here. Firstly there were the numerous independent electronics shops, which abused their staff and customers. Then they were replaced with minor chains like Maplin, which abused their staff and ripped off their customers. They they were commoditised along with the hardware into larger retail chains (Argos, Currys here) as the requirements for parts and repair declined. Initially they abused their customers and everyone went to Amazon who didn't. The difference is that those larger chains are going down the crapper if they don't have an excellent delivery and support service. So there's basically Argos and Amazon left now because you're right - it's not worth a 2.5 hour drive to be disappointed when someone can deliver it to you within a couple of days. And thanks to distance selling regulations coming in across the globe, if it's a steaming pile of crap, you can send it back without fuss or cost or having to argue with some grumpy curmudgeon in a shop who tells you to piss off.

What has happened really is a progression of customer service and delivery convenience.

The lack of quality support be it repair or service of goods is also screwing us over as the solution becomes junk it and buy another 2-3 year solution for the least possible $ from Evilbay/Amazon.

There are diminishing returns on buying the cheapest item out there. But people are stupid and fall for that one all the time. That's easy to leverage on probabilistic returns.

Living in a major Capital I suggest you are out of touch with small retail and community as the jobs in YOUR area are certainly more likely to be Service or Government ones. We unlike you do not have same or even next day delivery and fortunately so far AmazonOz sucks Donkey Balls.

I've lived for many years in the middle of nowhere here and got involved in the local communities. I spent my teenage years knocking around on farms and riding horses etc. There was fuck all else to do. In fact it was not much fun when you had to walk 4 miles to go to the nearest town to go through the bins on the industrial estate looking for things you could strip components out of or getting mugged by the hybrid mutant Post Office/Tandy were had. The nearest retail store (Maplin/Cirkit at the time) was an unsurmountable obstacle. The small retail outlets died in the 1980s because as mentioned there wasn't enough business to sustain them. Everyone left.

So a few weeks ago I took a drive out that way just to "go and see" and the shops are still gone apart from the odd Spar. There are new estates popping up everywhere. They have supermarkets. They have fibre. They have amazon vans driving around. They are building new schools. They have people in them again. Without that infrastructure they'd still be dead and dying places but we're seeing new communities. Granted some farts are complaining about this but fuck them as well.

As for same/next day delivery you're probably around 10 years behind us in the UK at the moment. Amazon sucked pretty hard here back then. In 2013 or so, we started to get an improvement in service as they added more logistics hubs here. Then in 2015 or so it got pretty good. In fact my father, living in the middle of nowhere on the border of Essex and Suffolk, could get next day Amazon deliveries reliably. Now in cities, we have same day delivery and nearly entire country coverage next day. I understand the US is the same now as well. AU has some unique logistics challenges as it's basically a hula-hoop when it comes to what the country really looks like (the middle bit is pretty shit) but in time they will be resolved.

Don't look at the situation, look at the progression and see where it's going.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 12:56:31 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, BILLPOD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90497 on: May 11, 2021, 01:06:28 pm »

Oh yes definitely that.

We have some behemoth shopping centres here and they are progressively dying. No one wants to drive all the way to one on the off chance that a retail outfit might actually have some stock of something you're not sure if you want or not. Financial pressures have done away with that thinking for most people and anyone with any money left is sensible enough not to spend it in one.

My personal hell is this temple of conspicuous consumption: https://bluewater.co.uk/our-business/about-us . My ex-wife would religiously drag me around there before Christmas to do all the "Christmas shopping" which involved suffering for 5-6 hours buying stuff at full sticker price, dragging it all around with 2 kids at the time, getting fucked for some overpriced garbage for food and then crawling home with a smoking credit card and wondering how the hell to pay it all off. Now everyone gets a Christmas card, apart from the kids who mostly just want cash (bank transfer) or Amazon gift card (email) because then they don't have to got to the ridiculous temple of indulgence to kneel before the gods of retail while being shafted up the arsehole.

And even that place was better than the local electronics, clothes and general goods stores I've experienced.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 01:08:08 pm by bd139 »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90498 on: May 11, 2021, 01:09:49 pm »
Amazon is a Cancer and tells you it is the cure for that Cancer all in one breath. I call BS that it is a solution other than just the next level of corporate Rape for $ and control. There is NO service other than replacement with this sort of seller and it does promote buy it now for a 2-3 year solution for bottom $ because of that. They are helping feed consumption and junk it as a way of life.

Funny you should mention low paid jobs in retail Amazon are among the worst offenders in the USA for how to mistreat employees so don't hold them up as a corporate saint because they are not! They don't employee people in small towns they take jobs away from those small towns and are the antithesis of anything resembling 'community'.

Tarring ALL specialty retails as being X, Y or Z for behavior or an EXCUSE to default to Amazon/Evilbay before even considering local is WHY the decline.

I am two hours from the nearest town of 100k people. Amazon delivery vans are now and will always be a pipedream. Your idea of country is based on the UK if I go to the State Capital that is over 1/2 way across England this State alone is 170% the size of England.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #90499 on: May 11, 2021, 01:11:36 pm »

Oh yes definitely that.

We have some behemoth shopping centres here and they are progressively dying. No one wants to drive all the way to one on the off chance that a retail outfit might actually have some stock of something you're not sure if you want or not. Financial pressures have done away with that thinking for most people and anyone with any money left is sensible enough not to spend it in one.

My personal hell is this temple of conspicuous consumption: https://bluewater.co.uk/our-business/about-us . My ex-wife would religiously drag me around there for the day before Christmas to do all the "Christmas shopping" which involved suffering for 5-6 hours buying stuff at full sticker price, dragging it all around with 2 kids at the time, getting fucked for some overpriced garbage for food and then crawling home with a smoking credit card and wondering how the hell to pay it all off. Now everyone gets a Christmas card, apart from the kids who mostly just want cash (bank transfer) or Amazon gift card (email) because then they don't have to got to the ridiculous temple of indulgence to kneel before the gods of retail while being shafted up the arsehole.

The trend here was that a mall was built and major retailers moved in. Then a few years later a "fancier" mall was built nearby and the major retailers moved to that one and let the other mall whither and die. It's happened several times in this local area and there's excess retail space unoccupied. And this was happening long before Amazon was a wet dream in Jeff's shorts. So Amazon is not the cause. Too many malls and an insufficient customer base to support them. 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf