Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15297377 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #92225 on: June 11, 2021, 02:44:28 pm »

Even when the brain is suitably coffee dosed CRT terminology for the various voltages/supplies gets confusing.
Say with a valve CRO we can have at least 2 rails that can be considered as HV but only one if it's a solid state CRO.
CRT voltages also often are referred to as HV but really HT or EHT is a better differentiation when it's typically -2KV or more but then there's what only can correctly called PDA, inverted from the EHT and now a positive voltage generated by treblers, or quintuplers.
IMO they should always be referred to correctly and can to some degree be differentiated by where they are used in a CRO. Anything to do with the CRT should be called EHT or PDA whereas the much lower supplies for the general scope circuitry are mostly LV except for those used for plate drive which IMO are the only HV in a CRO.

Yeah it can be confusing and one might argue about this all day but they are each very different voltages for very different purposes and should be referred to without the chance of ambiguity.
HV
EHT
PDA
 :P  :horse:

You can call it whatever you like. I call it "HV", Tek calls it "HV". Good enough for me.  :-* :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #92226 on: June 11, 2021, 02:53:25 pm »
Found some cool stuff on my local ebay..

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #92227 on: June 11, 2021, 03:01:10 pm »
Im'o gonn' come mug you for all that yummy RG316.   :-DD

mnem
>:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92228 on: June 11, 2021, 03:03:22 pm »
...As soon as you add bluetooth, you add someone else's undocumented software. Which will fuck you. |O

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075R13CV5

Case in point... today's modding project. Y'all may remember me talking aboot lobotomizing Alexa from my "Smart" dock; well, as you can see, the stoopit dock hack went deliciously, aside from the fact of having to get a different BT amplifier board that actually fits inside the space. :-\

A little exploratory surgery, add some nice silicone power wires to the new BT PCB, and heat/screw a m3 stud into one of the screw holes for the Alexa-infested OEM BT speaker PCB and then a 10mm standoff. Added a self-adhesive Stepper Driver cooler just cuz it was handy, then a JST-SH socket scrounged from a scrap PCB for the speakers and Yes! It all works. As soon as power is applied it goes into pairing mode, and nice simple Windows-like tones for "Pairing", "Paired" and "Connected" modes... no unintelligible voice prompts in Chinese or worse, heavily accented Chinglish, etc... w00t!

Button it all up, put the Doobie Bros station on Prime Music and actually, sound is pretty damned good (as always, for something this small  ::)). And because it sits in a corner by my bed, I even get some of the rear-facing right channel sound reflected back at me!  :-+

Then, I put the tablet in the dock and... it automatically disconnects the BT.  :palm: I can then go and reconnect the BT while it's on the dock but... as soon as I pick it up off the dock, the tablet disconnects again. What. The. FUCK!!!

*Directed at fucking Lenovo* Why in the world would you morons ever think I want this behavior...?

And worse, why would you make it so I can't turn it off...? |O

I mean, it's not like this is a deal-breaker... it's just... fuck!!! It turns what would otherwise be an awesome little speaker into a cringe.

Every. fucking. time. you use it.   

And there's no good reason for them to have written extra software to change the default behavior of Android here, except something stoopit for the Alexa integration. And that is not a good reason. :rant:

mnem
fucking bitches...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 03:30:07 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: med6753, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92229 on: June 11, 2021, 04:39:59 pm »
One scope from HP's first all purpose digital series must be allowed, or ...  :-//
I mean, from the pre floppy era.   :-)

Anyway, I had to rescue this 54504 400 Mhz guy with handbooks and in perfect shape for about 175 Euros including shipping.

First start: fan running, black screen
Second start: scope running ... into some kind of error after a while and asking for restart
Third start: scope running, all self tests passed

Voltage measurement seems to be a bit low. Shoud be 500 mV but shows 485mV.

1) I wonder, if RAM/battery might need replacement

2) What would be a matching probe within a reasonable budget?
Maybe it was a mistake to grab a 400Mhz model with an input capacity of 7pF, as most cheap probes starts with 10pF compensation.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 04:42:14 pm by Peter_O »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, kj7e, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #92230 on: June 11, 2021, 05:20:02 pm »
Very nice over-engineering project. It includes CNCing plywood, 3D-printing, machining, soldering and sometimes silent cursing.  :-DD

Enjoy!
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #92231 on: June 11, 2021, 06:23:35 pm »
Tomorrow the battle resumes with a vengeance as I go toe-to-toe with the Type 547 again. I will be testing tubes in the Type 535A so I wanted to make sure it's in good nick (It is).

One way or another I will conquer the PSU issue.  :-+

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 06:28:55 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, tonyalbus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #92232 on: June 11, 2021, 06:57:27 pm »
Ever tried to do some 'actual electronic' Soldering with a Gas iron? Not an experience I ever want to have again before you get to the dangers of carrying Butane in a  vehicle in the Aussie climate or go near a plane to travel with one.

Yes, with a red hot poker, heated on the gas hob. Not recently, fortunately.

Well, I finally found my first soldering iron again - that red hot poker.

When I first heated it up again, the green Cu flame was rather pretty.

And a pleasant red when excessively hot :)

Of course, back then I never encountered ground planes. If I had, then I would have had to use this 840g one...

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:40:59 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92233 on: June 11, 2021, 07:31:49 pm »
Very nice over-engineering project. It includes CNCing plywood, 3D-printing, machining, soldering and sometimes silent cursing.  :-DD

Enjoy!
A very interesting video, thanks for sharing it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: gamalot

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #92234 on: June 11, 2021, 07:41:19 pm »
Do I need to send you some connectors now? When you say 'internal interconnects' SMA PCB jacks would be probably ok - together with some SMA cables? But RCA? puh-leeze!

In any case, depending on how refined I make my design, I might need as many as 20 or more plug and socket pairs.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92235 on: June 11, 2021, 08:06:51 pm »
And now for something completely different, as you might know, there is a little something going on in Cornwall UK, called the G7 Summit and there is one nation that will more than likely be lecturing the other member nations about the need to tackle climate change, just a shame that they don't lead by example, who is it, why it's the USA, who else. There has been an insane amount of transatlantic flights undertaken by hoards of C17's and C5's and presidential planes along with the relocations of loads of KC135, Hercules and Ospreys into Newquay, Brize Norton, Stanstead, Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Fairford and Northolt. I'd hate to think about the carbon footprint of that operation so far, which has one more airport to add to its list on Sunday, Heathrow, when the President departs for NATO meetings and the First Lady returns to the White House.

That said, it has been a dream for my son and I with all the photographic opportunities. Wednesday we were at Mildenhall hoping to catch a busy day of operations, but we were disappointed as it was in a lockdown in preparations for the arrival of AF1 and support aircraft amid a massive security operation all around the airfield with photographers lining the road outside the base being moved on by police. That said, however, there were 2 locations we were allowed in, not ideal as it meant shooting through a chain link fence but for those interested people here are a couple of photos I managed to get after waiting around for almost 10 hours.

I will be trying to get some better shots of these departing Heathrow on Sunday if we can find a location that we will be allowed to shoot from.  :palm:

After Sunday, all of those aircraft movements and support flights on the C5's and C17's will be reversed again in order to return all the cars, helicopters etc, back where they came from.

I'm sure they're all going to talk about how everyone else needs to reduce their carbon footprint after burning tons of jet fuel to get there and back.

Did you see the Government of Canada plane that brought Justin "Now is not the time to travel" Trudeau there?

Rules for thee but not for mee on all sides at that shindig, that's for sure.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #92236 on: June 11, 2021, 08:27:34 pm »
Something not quite as overengineered.

A bike suited for our tinkerdwagon ...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 08:29:50 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, wolfy007, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92237 on: June 11, 2021, 08:33:43 pm »
not much going on except sheeeeetloads of work ..

inquired regarding a Xilinx Versal board. My boss told me to go out and explore options for obtaining it.
Requested a quote for a nice training system for my machine translation system.
Should have the quote for a DGX-A100 sometime next week.

Currently working on integration into other systems. My QA-system built on a single server did manage to munch through 60 translations per second for 7 hours straight.

100% success rate, no translation errors. Quite happy there.

Preparing roll out for about 50 000 translation clients for employee desktops and notebooks. Will work out the Azure stuff later on.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92238 on: June 11, 2021, 08:41:10 pm »
got an interesting thingie on the bench.

I dropped a mainboard by mistake. Eff my luck. One of the main SMD caps (120 u 35V) tore off. It left the pads undamaged.

Unfortunately I do not have my scope, kapton tape, microscope, rework stuff with me, just a TS100 (lead battery powered) which I used to attach a radial 120u cap.
The board starts up for about 30 seconds, goes thru self test and then powers down. So I am wondering: what else broke. Could be that the BGA CPU package suffered, could be that the cap I soldered in is not up to specs.

I got a replacement SMD 120u low ESR cap from Panasonic and I will try to solder it to the pad when I have my rework equipment with me. With the battery powered TS100 I just cannot do it. Will probably need some solder paste, flux, cleaning of pads and hot air while protecting the rest of the board with kapton tape.

Bloody hell.

In other news, fixed a Vectrex game console (manufactured in 1982). Controller and sound functional again.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92239 on: June 11, 2021, 09:47:26 pm »
Do I need to send you some connectors now? When you say 'internal interconnects' SMA PCB jacks would be probably ok - together with some SMA cables? But RCA? puh-leeze!

In any case, depending on how refined I make my design, I might need as many as 20 or more plug and socket pairs.

When I make multiple copies of a board, or need cheap interconnects for external or internal connections, there's two very economical and convenient resources many people don't know aboot:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cctv+pigtail

These 5.5mm x 2.1mm coaxial DC power pigtail pairs are crazy cheap for what you get; typically $10-20 for 10 pairs. They come with 22-16ga wires, in red/black or plain black sheath, with or without 1/4 turn locks. There are also variants with screw terminal blocks on male/female pairs of Coaxial DC connectors; you'll see them as well in the above search.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lipo+Balance+extension

When I need lots of inexpensive, easily human-handled interconnects between PCBs inside a project box, one of my favorite sources is LiPo balance extension cables. These usually come in 5-10 packs for $10-20, in 3-7 conductor versions with 150mm-250mm length, premade with JST-XH socket on one end and plug on the other. The nice part is decent-heavy 22ga silicone wires which are a joy to work with, as they don't melt away like bubble-gum if you dare to solder the wires directly.  :-+

If you can spare the time to strip the wires off the socket, they can go straight to a PCB and solder the other end. Or cut the socket end off and crimp a new JST-XH plug to make a plug-plug interconnect in half the time. Or just cut the extension in half and solder wires directly to the board at both ends with or without ferrules or whatever other strain relief as you see fit. ;)

Cheers,

mnem
'lectronic Legos... ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:49:00 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, URI

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #92240 on: June 11, 2021, 09:51:58 pm »

Even when the brain is suitably coffee dosed CRT terminology for the various voltages/supplies gets confusing.
Say with a valve CRO we can have at least 2 rails that can be considered as HV but only one if it's a solid state CRO.
CRT voltages also often are referred to as HV but really HT or EHT is a better differentiation when it's typically -2KV or more but then there's what only can correctly called PDA, inverted from the EHT and now a positive voltage generated by treblers, or quintuplers.
IMO they should always be referred to correctly and can to some degree be differentiated by where they are used in a CRO. Anything to do with the CRT should be called EHT or PDA whereas the much lower supplies for the general scope circuitry are mostly LV except for those used for plate drive which IMO are the only HV in a CRO.

Yeah it can be confusing and one might argue about this all day but they are each very different voltages for very different purposes and should be referred to without the chance of ambiguity.
HV
EHT
PDA

You can call it whatever you like. I call it "HV", Tek calls it "HV". Good enough for me.  :-* :-DD
Tek and you are correct in regard to yesteryear century CRO's but today we should better differentiate between the different classes of voltages we encounter in equipment.

And back in them days of Teks legacy valve CRO's every power rail was HV and few if any of those legacy toobe scopes had PDA as their low BW didn't require it.
Then only the level of zap varies whereas a solid state CRO only has HV for plate drive and typically less than 200V and EHT at a totally different level of zap and opposite polarity WRT ground plus a PDA too !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92241 on: June 11, 2021, 09:54:04 pm »

Something not quite as overengineered. A bike suited for our tinkerdwagon ...

I built far worse in my youth.  >:D

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92242 on: June 11, 2021, 09:58:13 pm »

HV
EHT
PDA

Tek and you are correct in regard to yesteryear century CRO's but today we should better differentiate between the different classes of voltages we encounter in equipment.

And back in them days of Teks legacy valve CRO's every power rail was HV and few if any of those legacy toobe scopes had PDA as their low BW didn't require it.
Then only the level of zap varies whereas a solid state CRO only has HV for plate drive and typically less than 200V and EHT at a totally different level of zap and opposite polarity WRT ground plus a PDA too !

Funny, it all hurts the same hooked up to yer nutsack!!!  :-DD

mnem
"oooh... foreplay..." she said. >:D

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #92243 on: June 11, 2021, 11:37:39 pm »

I built far worse in my youth.  >:D

mnem

Somebody's been watching "Mad Max" movies again...

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #92244 on: June 12, 2021, 02:06:32 am »

HV
EHT
PDA

Funny, it all hurts the same hooked up to yer nutsack!!!  :-DD

mnem
"oooh... foreplay..." she said. >:D

Then, stop peeing on electric fences .....  >:D >:D >:D >:D

-agitatingly
-- Why does spell check want to change that to titillatingly?  Totally inappropriate for this crowd  |O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92245 on: June 12, 2021, 03:06:41 am »
No, perfectly appropriate to this highly inappropriate crowd.  :-DD

mnem
also, no. >:D

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #92246 on: June 12, 2021, 03:31:08 am »
Sickos  :-DD

Latest Parametric Model GT2 rack and pinion generator ::)

edit also sample Nixie Wannabe blades.

And showing major manual dexterity holding a bodged 0603 LED in place while aligning the blades with electrical tape curtains and shooting the shot with the other hand ..... Need to reduce the cut speed a little to improve the edge quality also maybe a single engrave text line might give better clarity. V1 done and more experimenting to do.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 07:45:49 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92247 on: June 12, 2021, 07:47:09 am »
And now for something completely different, as you might know, there is a little something going on in Cornwall UK, called the G7 Summit and there is one nation that will more than likely be lecturing the other member nations about the need to tackle climate change, just a shame that they don't lead by example, who is it, why it's the USA, who else. There has been an insane amount of transatlantic flights undertaken by hoards of C17's and C5's and presidential planes along with the relocations of loads of KC135, Hercules and Ospreys into Newquay, Brize Norton, Stanstead, Mildenhall, Lakenheath, Fairford and Northolt. I'd hate to think about the carbon footprint of that operation so far, which has one more airport to add to its list on Sunday, Heathrow, when the President departs for NATO meetings and the First Lady returns to the White House.

That said, it has been a dream for my son and I with all the photographic opportunities. Wednesday we were at Mildenhall hoping to catch a busy day of operations, but we were disappointed as it was in a lockdown in preparations for the arrival of AF1 and support aircraft amid a massive security operation all around the airfield with photographers lining the road outside the base being moved on by police. That said, however, there were 2 locations we were allowed in, not ideal as it meant shooting through a chain link fence but for those interested people here are a couple of photos I managed to get after waiting around for almost 10 hours.

I will be trying to get some better shots of these departing Heathrow on Sunday if we can find a location that we will be allowed to shoot from.  :palm:

After Sunday, all of those aircraft movements and support flights on the C5's and C17's will be reversed again in order to return all the cars, helicopters etc, back where they came from.

I'm sure they're all going to talk about how everyone else needs to reduce their carbon footprint after burning tons of jet fuel to get there and back.

Did you see the Government of Canada plane that brought Justin "Now is not the time to travel" Trudeau there?

Rules for thee but not for mee on all sides at that shindig, that's for sure.
No I never saw any other planes, only the USA ones. I think that all the other heads of state flew directly into Newquay airport and also accepted the transportation to and from the various locations that we provided them while they are here.

Its only Biden that has been invited by the Queen for afternoon tea at Windsor Castle on Sunday before he heads of for NATO talks so as a result he has had to have so many plane movements to minimize his exposure on the ground so to speak. The USA is also the only nation to have military bases here in the UK, hence his visit to RAF Mildenhall in order to address many of the staff from other bases at the same time.

But you're right, it is all about one rule for them and their wealthy mates and another for me and thee. :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92248 on: June 12, 2021, 07:57:44 am »
I didn't see them all doing a 10 day quarrantine in a designated hotel on arrival either  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92249 on: June 12, 2021, 08:07:58 am »
The leaders never did, although there is I understand regular live tests being conducted at the meeting. Those that had their securty staff sent over certainly did as Bidens team were flown into Stanstead, all 32 of them, 2 weeks ago.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf