Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14945144 times)

TSCOLAN, Vgkid and 190 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #17500 on: October 03, 2018, 10:51:10 pm »
Someone needs to reset his settings to default then  >:D
Someone needs to stop being a sheep then  >:D
Baaa Baaa  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17501 on: October 03, 2018, 11:07:50 pm »
Also cue tggzzz saying it isn't page 700

Usually I like it when people are ahead of me, but I'll make an exception in this case.

This week I've been helping my daughter move 150 miles west from London, by hiring a pantechnicon. (Enterprise called it a large van).
Daughter helped by breaking her elbow on Friday.

While I've driven double decker busses, antique tractors, and strangely asymmetric lorry chassis, that pantechnicon was the largest thing I've driven on a public highway. Amazingly we found ideal parking spaces at both ends.

Time to decompress, until tomorrow.

:wtf: How fecking big was this large van? You must have a HGV license then as buses can be driven on a normal car license but vans and trucks upto 3 tons can also be driven on a normal license, anything bigger requires HGV.  I've driven double decker buses before, I did my apprenticeship with the National Bus Company when they used to nationalised and they varied from 27ft to 36ft long and weighed in at 8 tons and yet the breakdown truck was a converted AEC Matador with a shortened coach body on it, weighed 7.75 tons but because it was a lorry, I was not allowed to drive it without a HGV  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17502 on: October 03, 2018, 11:20:59 pm »

Bloody dangerous being a sheep around here, what with all the Aussies and Kiwis around...

" Australia! Where the the men are men, and the sheep are nervous. "
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #17503 on: October 03, 2018, 11:26:15 pm »
Damn....you didn't take the bait.   and I was willing to concede that philly has never had professional football.

when I was in college they took local bartenders and schoolteachers off the street and put them on the field.  hell.....they even made a movie about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincible_(2006_film)

that was about the same time they had an old geezer quarterback with two broke knees.  (roman gabriel)

it was a sad time for the city of brotherly love, but at least we had the broad street bullies.

I was similarly conceding that while the Pens had a number of world class professional Hockey Players; IMO, they never had professional management. I'm still not sure I believe they do...

The lack of a basketball franchise was longtime a sore point for all peez-borg-ers; especially Oakland and Duquesne. They even made a film about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fish_That_Saved_Pittsburgh   :-DD

We won't talk about tore up from the floor up old QBs still limping out onto the field. *CoughBradshawCough*  ;)

But (bringing it back to TEA)... the city's obsession with feetsball was what gave me my very first paying gig in electronics... I got a job through my AV Dept ( that I also worked at during school study halls) managing the on-field communications gear for the football team. I learned a LOT about wired and later wireless telephony from that gig; and I learned the importance of having the right tools for the job. I still have the Weller TC201/TC202 they gave me in the back of my tool-chest, and and the Ungar heat-shrink gun (which has been resurrected at least a dozen times) is still part of my everyday setup even today. It's just too useful; I keep it in a quick-draw holster under my bench right next to my Weller GT7.

mnem
*Ch-ch-ch-cha-a-ange-e-e-s...*

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17504 on: October 03, 2018, 11:31:18 pm »

Usually I like it when people are ahead of me, but I'll make an exception in this case.

This week I've been helping my daughter move 150 miles west from London, by hiring a pantechnicon. (Enterprise called it a large van).

While I've driven double decker busses, antique tractors, and strangely asymmetric lorry chassis, that pantechnicon was the largest thing I've driven on a public highway. Amazingly we found ideal parking spaces at both ends.

:wtf: How fecking big was this large van? You must have a HGV license then as buses can be driven on a normal car license but vans and trucks upto 3 tons can also be driven on a normal license, anything bigger requires HGV.  I've driven double decker buses before, I did my apprenticeship with the National Bus Company when they used to nationalised and they varied from 27ft to 36ft long and weighed in at 8 tons and yet the breakdown truck was a converted AEC Matador with a shortened coach body on it, weighed 7.75 tons but because it was a lorry, I was not allowed to drive it without a HGV  :wtf:

If you have an EU class B license, which is what most car drivers hold, you can drive up to a 3.5 tonne vehicle, if you have a class C1 (technically an HGV class) you can drive up to 7.5 tonnes. If you are a British driver and passed a UK manual car test before 1st Jan 97 you get class C1 'grandfathered' onto your license as the UK driving categories used to include that. (There are some other minor classes grandfathered in as well ).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17505 on: October 03, 2018, 11:34:11 pm »

Bloody dangerous being a sheep around here, what with all the Aussies and Kiwis around...

Date Night in Oz

Ummmm...

mnem

I got nuthin'.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:36:24 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #17506 on: October 03, 2018, 11:42:16 pm »

mnem
I couldn't think of anything pithy to put down here.

mnem

I got nuthin'.

Ha, never thought I'd see the day when our resident dwagon ran out of breath !  :-DD

C'mon mnem, you must have something.  :scared:

Turned plumber for the arvo, gotta fix a pump.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:44:24 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #17507 on: October 04, 2018, 12:24:37 am »

:wtf: How fecking big was this large van?

https://www.enterprise.co.uk/en/car-hire/vehicles/uk/vans/large-van.html

You must have a HGV license then as buses can be driven on a normal car license but vans and trucks upto 3 tons can also be driven on a normal license, anything bigger requires HGV.  I've driven double decker buses before, I did my apprenticeship with the National Bus Company when they used to nationalised and they varied from 27ft to 36ft long and weighed in at 8 tons and yet the breakdown truck was a converted AEC Matador with a shortened coach body on it, weighed 7.75 tons but because it was a lorry, I was not allowed to drive it without a HGV  :wtf:

Ah, but you haven't spotted the escape clause, viz "...on a public highway".

The total tuition I was given for the big vehicles lasted ~10 minutes (much less for the tractors). In fact I doubt anybody knew how to drive the tractors; certainly I never got an explanation for what many of the pedals did :)

A major part of the tuition for the last double decker I drove was, when putting it storage at the end of the day, be very careful when applying the (air) brakes: too vigorous and the antenna hits the roof.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:32:57 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17508 on: October 04, 2018, 12:25:33 am »

s/Australia/Wales/
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17509 on: October 04, 2018, 12:29:40 am »
If you are a British driver and passed a UK manual car test before 1st Jan 97 you get class C1 'grandfathered' onto your license as the UK driving categories used to include that. (There are some other minor classes grandfathered in as well ).

My driving licence is in the form of a pink piece of paper without a photograph, valid until 4 years after statutory retirement age.

I explicitly checked with Enterprise and read the regulations, and as far as I can tell it was acceptable.

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17510 on: October 04, 2018, 12:53:58 am »
I bought a very special resistance decade , a parts unit...
Not much of a teardown , no cover , and parts missing.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #17511 on: October 04, 2018, 01:54:51 am »
Not much of a teardown , no cover , and parts missing.

Ah, so it's the buildup variety.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17512 on: October 04, 2018, 03:02:31 am »
mnem
mnem

I got nuthin'.
Ha, never thought I'd see the day when our resident dwagon ran out of breath !  :-DD

Nothing I'd dare say in polite company... *puts on best Steve Irwin voice* nerr ayv'n the comp'ny oi 'ave 'e-yar.    ;)

In my defense, I've been workin' muh tail scales off today trying to catch up for the last two weeks I've been sick with the creeping crud.  :P

If you have an EU class B license, which is what most car drivers hold, you can drive up to a 3.5 tonne vehicle, if you have a class C1 (technically an HGV class) you can drive up to 7.5 tonnes. If you are a British driver and passed a UK manual car test before 1st Jan 97 you get class C1 'grandfathered' onto your license as the UK driving categories used to include that. (There are some other minor classes grandfathered in as well ).

https://www.uhaul.com/Truck-Rentals/26ft-Moving-Truck/

Over here we can rent and drive one of these on a regular class C license; they're 34 feet long, 22K GVWR. I have USAA insurance; they're one of the last carriers that automatically covers U-Haul rentals, so none of that extra coverage BS.

Gonna be getting another one here before long...

mnem
Wife: "It BETTER be just ONE..."  >:(
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 03:06:14 am by mnementh »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17513 on: October 04, 2018, 03:34:26 am »
mnem
mnem

I got nuthin'.

Nothing I'd dare say in polite company... *puts on best Steve Irwin voice* nerr ayv'n the comp'ny oi 'ave 'e-yar.    ;)

In my defense, I've been workin' muh tail scales off today trying to catch up for the last two weeks I've been sick with the creeping crud.  :P

mnem
Wife: "It BETTER be just ONE..."  >:(
Ah, the creeping crud !  :scared:
What do dwagons take for that to get their huff and puff back ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17514 on: October 04, 2018, 03:48:35 am »
Iron & coal. It's good for our flame.  ;)

Dr. Von Drago: "Take two horsehoes and burn down a mountain; or at least a small hillock. Repeat as needed to restoke."

mnem: "Horsehoes...  :P  they taste like pony feet."

Dr. Von Drago: "Fine; wash them down with a horse."

mnem: "Mmmmm... "

mnem
"Hey... that's a double dose of iron. I'll get better twice as fast."

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17515 on: October 04, 2018, 04:07:52 am »

Dr. Von Drago: "Take two horsehoes and burn down a mountain; or at least a small hillock. Repeat as needed to restoke."

mnem: "Horsehoes...  :P  they taste like pony feet."

mnem
Ah, good to see you feeling better already !  :)

Coal I can understand but I thought you'd gargle with Naptha or similar but hey yeah I s'pose the iron fortifies the backbone.  :phew:

The rest of us just take a spoon full of cement and harden up.  :P
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:55:53 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17516 on: October 04, 2018, 05:52:51 am »
If you are a British driver and passed a UK manual car test before 1st Jan 97 you get class C1 'grandfathered' onto your license as the UK driving categories used to include that. (There are some other minor classes grandfathered in as well ).

My driving licence is in the form of a pink piece of paper without a photograph, valid until 4 years after statutory retirement age.

Pink?  My UK licence, which was issued in 1979, is a piece of green paper and also has no photo... claims to expire in 2031.   After getting a WA state license in 1986, it's been gathering dust.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17517 on: October 04, 2018, 06:45:31 am »

I explicitly checked with Enterprise and read the regulations, and as far as I can tell it was acceptable.
Yeh, mine is the new card type and also expires after 4 years past official retiring age, Dec 2019. I assume that means that we will have to be assessed and past another test then, as I seem to recall that was the plan to ensure us old codgers aren't going to drive on the wrong track of dual carriageways etc [emoji23]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17518 on: October 04, 2018, 06:48:46 am »
I lost mine about two years ago :-DD.

Really need to get that sorted in case I get nicked.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17519 on: October 04, 2018, 06:52:30 am »

mnem: "Horsehoes...  [emoji14]  they taste like pony feet."

mnem
Ah, good to see you feeling better already !  :)

Coal I can understand but I thought you'd gargle with Naptha or similar but hey yeah I s'pose the iron fortifies the backbone.  :phew:

The rest of us just take a spoon full of cement and harden up.  [emoji14]
Either way, we all need to keep out the rain, it stops cement from hardening up and puts dwagons fire out or at least causes them to emit steam instead of fire. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji91]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17520 on: October 04, 2018, 06:55:03 am »
I lost mine about two years ago :-DD.

Really need to get that sorted in case I get nicked.
Yeh, if you're moving soon and plan to hire a van, you'll need it for that as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17521 on: October 04, 2018, 07:00:21 am »
I just borrow my sisters horse box. Thats covered under my C1 license (I used to move kit around a lot in a 7.5 ton).

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17522 on: October 04, 2018, 08:06:22 am »
Your lucky then, my SWMBO would not allow anything from a horse box inside the house because of smells and fleas etc., Hmm, I wonder if that includes me  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17523 on: October 04, 2018, 08:13:07 am »
@bd139
Member dazz1 contacted me about a scope as his PM3217 is concerning him.
Would you care to share some pearls of wisdom about them ?
TIA
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17524 on: October 04, 2018, 08:25:34 am »
@bd139
Member dazz1 contacted me about a scope as his PM3217 is concerning him.
Would you care to share some pearls of wisdom about them ?
TIA

Yep go for it  :-+

Your lucky then, my SWMBO would not allow anything from a horse box inside the house because of smells and fleas etc., Hmm, I wonder if that includes me  :-DD

My sister is a clean freak. The horse box is cleaner than her house.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf