Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15137931 times)

TERRA Operative and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25625 on: February 18, 2019, 06:50:22 am »
very noisy common area, lights and massive amounts of wiring for the rest of the house flow through here..worst spot ever. dishwasher, oven,microwave, fridge, AC unit right outside, those big ass 220 lines, all within 10 feet. Also my incoming power line voltage is a bit higher than normal @ 126VAC, so maybe Ill run it from my UPS and kill the incoming power tomorrow just to see how clean it can get...Sounds fun anyway, Ill just have to send the family out shopping or some fun errand.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:55:14 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #25626 on: February 18, 2019, 06:55:58 am »
All you need now is a wiseass TinkerDwagon to come and weld some pipe right next to it... really liven things up.  :-DD

mnem
I need less Mexican flavor.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #25627 on: February 18, 2019, 07:16:19 am »
With my apprentice volt-nuttery - my laptop adds 10uV to the 3458 at 10GOhm, similar some led lights smpsu. Ground loops, lots of fun in the uV region!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #25628 on: February 18, 2019, 07:30:39 am »
Inverted18650, I mentioned PSU 'cause you said you hadn't opened her up.

With an older precision instrument, condition of the PSU would be the first thing I'd check then go ahead and see if it meets spec. Often rebuilding old CRO's just getting the PSU exactly to spec brings the calibration back into line to where it should be.
Learnt long ago to check the PSU first.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #25629 on: February 18, 2019, 07:36:13 am »
In Other News... The ToolDwagon needs TOOL ADVICE!

Okay... this is an area where I have no experience. I have lots of experience with traditional body work, and I have an idea about how these should work... but zero practical knowledge. Does anybody here know anything about paintless dent repair tools? Do these little lever and hot-glue gadgets actually work? What first-time pitfalls top avoid?

mnem
 :-//
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25630 on: February 18, 2019, 07:59:16 am »
With my apprentice volt-nuttery - my laptop adds 10uV to the 3458 at 10GOhm, similar some led lights smpsu. Ground loops, lots of fun in the uV region!

Yep, LED bulbs generate a surprising amount of RF interference. I can hear it on the Police/Fire scanner on weak stations around 155MHz. The back ground noise suddenly increases by several db turning the light on.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:06:08 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25631 on: February 18, 2019, 09:05:53 am »

Okay... this is an area where I have no experience. I have lots of experience with traditional body work, and I have an idea about how these should work... but zero practical knowledge. Does anybody here know anything about paintless dent repair tools? Do these little lever and hot-glue gadgets actually work? What first-time pitfalls top avoid?

mnem
While I have zero personal knowledge of them, I can only assume that they do indeed work and well as over here there are many companies who offer this service from mobile vans and have been doing so a for a few years now.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25632 on: February 18, 2019, 09:15:18 am »
My father used to do it with a kettle and a plunger.

Edit: and a roll up sticking out of the corner of his mouth. I suggest a healthy replacement of that though such as a toothpick.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25633 on: February 18, 2019, 09:33:37 am »

mnem

Eastwood sells a kit. I'm sure you're familiar with them. Generally sell good stuff.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-paintless-dent-removal-kit.html

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25634 on: February 18, 2019, 09:41:43 am »
This thread....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/does-instruments-have-feelings/

This movie....

That's exactly us. Rather than toasters it's old test equipment. The next time someone asks me to explain my hobby I'll tell them to go watch that movie. I think this should be in our glossary.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #25635 on: February 18, 2019, 09:48:00 am »
Seriously  :wtf: UTube??? Never seen this level of copyright BS before.  :horse:

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25636 on: February 18, 2019, 09:51:19 am »
 :wtf: That's freaking ridiculous.  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25637 on: February 18, 2019, 09:54:02 am »
Yeah I get the same. Regional block list strikes.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25638 on: February 18, 2019, 09:58:26 am »
Lasso seems to have form for random copyright strikes. Just crazy youtube didn't block the obviously commercial movie to all. Will just have to play proxy games later  :horse:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25639 on: February 18, 2019, 10:05:33 am »
Due to the a positive result and totally blowing my budget last TEAvening I have a couple of other items finishing tomorrow I was going to look at that I really really 'want' and today in random evilbay search mode up comes an absolute steal for something with no bidders I really really 'need' finishing an hour earlier :scared:

Wondering if I can take up Breatharianisim for the next few weeks even Beans will be off the budget  :o

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25640 on: February 18, 2019, 10:20:05 am »
Due to the a positive result and totally blowing my budget last TEAvening I have a couple of other items finishing tomorrow I was going to look at that I really really 'want' and today in random evilbay search mode up comes an absolute steal for something with no bidders I really really 'need' finishing an hour earlier :scared:

Wondering if I can take up Breatharianisim for the next few weeks even Beans will be off the budget  :o
There's always instant noodles! Alternatively, you can try getting hit by a car, that stopped me from buying test equipment for a while.  |O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25641 on: February 18, 2019, 10:24:37 am »
If I got hit by a car it'd make it worse as I'd be in hospital on ebay all day  :-DD

More seriously, hope you are ok :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25642 on: February 18, 2019, 10:48:47 am »
Seriously  :wtf: UTube??? Never seen this level of copyright BS before.  :horse:

Just get yourself a cheap arse VPN with the ability to hide your true location and even lets you decide where you want to be shown as located which can be almost any country in the world and gets around the copyright problems as well giving a peace of mind that you can't be tracked on the web. It works, I have watched the movie.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25643 on: February 18, 2019, 11:04:05 am »
Just get a decent ISP that doesn't block all the torrent sites (Zen here) and torrent the damn thing.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25644 on: February 18, 2019, 11:15:45 am »
Thought torrent were being outlawed because of copyright laws being broken??

Yeah I get the same. Regional block list strikes.

So what are saying here then? Are you with Zen and still getting regional blocks? I got blocked and I'm with Virgin but I fired up my VPN system, I was able to watch it but a while later I got a message from Microsoft saying that they detected some unusual activity on my account and asked to verify if that was me, if not they would investigate it further to prevent unauthorised use of my ID? The location of said activity was Canada (Montreal) which is where I set my VPN up for  :palm: :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25645 on: February 18, 2019, 11:53:34 am »
You can't outlaw torrents without taking the internet out entirely. They run on DHTs and peer to peer communications. Basically you can legislate everything away but you can't break the technology without taking society and business with it.

You get regional blocks as they are done at YouTube's end. Basically it knows my IP is in the UK. If you VPN your source IP is in a different country. That's all you're circumventing here. Your cookie footprint and all those signed in MS and Google accounts still identify you so the VPN bit is entirely pointless.

That's also what tripped MS's system as initially you were seen to be in the UK and then suddenly Canada so their IDS said "hey perhaps that's not him as it takes longer than that to get to canada".

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25646 on: February 18, 2019, 12:12:23 pm »
The Muppets in charge here 'banned' about 8 or 10 of the bigger Torrent sites so you just need to find todays unbanned proxy and off you go again. Not really even annoying just pointless on their part.

Geoblocking of content was one of the bigger reasons for Aussies to get VPN's as we get slugged a premium for paid online content (Netflix etc) and these days our so called Newspapers are putting up local paywalls so time for me to look at VPN's again.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25647 on: February 18, 2019, 12:26:56 pm »
Only our big ISPs do that. The small ones and business suppliers are still unfiltered. Fortunately.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25649 on: February 18, 2019, 12:48:42 pm »
Yeah, that's what we had a couple of years ago which is what prompted my reply to bd. I used to use torrents for loads of things before and then bang zilch.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf