Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14940343 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29050 on: April 10, 2019, 08:34:42 pm »
Looks brand new.  :-+ What chemical took the "10" off?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29051 on: April 10, 2019, 08:35:44 pm »
s/Bo\ Derek/Christina\ Hendricks/

>:D

And where are YOU in all that sandwich...?  :-DD

Hendricks definitely has that smolder...  And a redhead. Loved her in Firefly. All the best kinds of trouble...  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29052 on: April 10, 2019, 08:50:09 pm »

Hendricks definitely has that smolder...  And a redhead. Loved her in Firefly. All the best kinds of trouble...  >:D

mnem

A buxom bat shit crazy red head. Must resist.  |O  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29053 on: April 10, 2019, 08:54:28 pm »
Looks brand new.  :-+ What chemical took the "10" off?

A plastic spudger designed to work on mobile phones from an iFixit tool kit and copious amounts of antibacterial kitchen cleaner :)

Never thought of that. I am clearly the ham in the middle  :-DD

Firely is religion in this house. In fact I'm sitting here with a firefly T-shirt on  :o

Edit: as much of a selfie as I'll ever do. T-shirt neatly fits in with the other comments made :D

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:56:38 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29054 on: April 10, 2019, 09:11:36 pm »
A very nice 453 has appeared on eBay UK.  Buyer collects. 180 mile round trip for me. Worth it. I will fight anyone to the death on that one, if I don't spend all my moolah at Kempton

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29055 on: April 10, 2019, 09:21:26 pm »
Troubleshooting (another) Anritsu MS8604A (8GHz SA). Tracked the problem to the front assembly, display probably. All the time I was working on it, a small bothered me. Couldn't quite pinpoint it but...

:wtf: is that ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29056 on: April 10, 2019, 09:32:21 pm »
Could it be tin whiskers?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29057 on: April 10, 2019, 09:34:07 pm »
Another power meter joins the collection. 432A, but most importantly, this one came with a 478A thermistor mount. I also got the special old style line cord for the 431B, which enjoyed a successful power up with no dramatics.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29058 on: April 10, 2019, 09:35:10 pm »

Edit: as much of a selfie as I'll ever do. T-shirt neatly fits in with the other comments made :D

:-//
 :bullshit:

Just might fit mnem a lot better.  :P  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29059 on: April 10, 2019, 09:37:14 pm »
I am considering it actually.

I've got a semi sketched out bench design I'm working on at the moment which may replace the Ikea thing I have at the moment. What with some criticism free freedom I can get another 3 feet of width you see :D

Some inspiration comes from here: https://stevenjohnson.com/workbenchphotos.htm

Wood + varnish + brass will come into it of course. It's better for the mind than metal and cheap laminates.
What are you going with, the 1946 type?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29060 on: April 10, 2019, 09:38:54 pm »
All done and cleaned.  Measuring an SLA there. Got rid of the 10. You can see some of it still at an angle but not enough to be bothersome. Looks like the original owner actually varnished the entire panel after labelling it so I might dismantle it in the future and go over it again with a light coat of varnish as well.

The shit scary thing is I had to scrape the label residue off the meter face with a flat blade screwdriver which is difficult as hell to do without scratching anything.
That really does look nice, of course if that does end up being screwed beneath a shelf, it will get used far more then if you have to dig it out each time you want it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29061 on: April 10, 2019, 09:43:38 pm »
I am considering it actually.

I've got a semi sketched out bench design I'm working on at the moment which may replace the Ikea thing I have at the moment. What with some criticism free freedom I can get another 3 feet of width you see :D

Some inspiration comes from here: https://stevenjohnson.com/workbenchphotos.htm

Wood + varnish + brass will come into it of course. It's better for the mind than metal and cheap laminates.
What are you going with, the 1946 type?

Yes. Although it'll end up looking like the 1970 one  :-DD

That really does look nice, of course if that does end up being screwed beneath a shelf, it will get used far more then if you have to dig it out each time you want it.

Yeah that was one of the cool things about it. I'm starting to do a few valvey things here and there (currently after a heathkit SB-102 as well) so it'll be useful for that.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29062 on: April 10, 2019, 09:45:25 pm »
Never had a PayPal account and never will. For Ebay purchases I use a specific credit card. If things go south with the transaction I simply call the credit card company and let them duke it out.   :-//

It's all about layers. I only use paypal with my credit card  :-DD

Edit: also Paypal UK office is walking distance from me. And there's a whoooole load of dog shit between here and there  :-DD
As an old established and trusted PP customer, I have many ways of using PP but my favorite way is to pay after delivery which means that I get 2 weeks free credit from them. If I use my Credit card, debit card or bank account or use any balance I have from my sales, I have no option but to pay them there and then, so more often then not I use the pay after option, allows my money to say in the savings account a bit longer, earning those few vital pennies more interest for me.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29063 on: April 10, 2019, 09:51:42 pm »

Yes. Although it'll end up looking like the 1970 one  :-DD

Yeah that was one of the cool things about it. I'm starting to do a few valvey things here and there (currently after a heathkit SB-102 as well) so it'll be useful for that.
What 1970 one, I didn't find one in the book.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29064 on: April 10, 2019, 09:53:47 pm »
Link above rather than the book

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29065 on: April 10, 2019, 09:56:46 pm »

mnem

A buxom bat shit crazy red head. Must resist.  |O  ;D

Why?  :-//

:-//
 :bullshit:

Just might fit mnem a lot better.  :P  :-DD

mnem
*original Browncoat-dwagon*
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:58:25 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29066 on: April 10, 2019, 09:58:06 pm »
Replaced the Mosfet on the A109 today and everything was working fine for a few minutes then the protection relay clicked on, sound switched off and the input LEDs all flashed on/off which I think is a fault signal. Checked on the heatsinks and they were really warm and the Mosfet that failed and a new one installed was way to hot to touch for long, the other 3 were also very hot. Removed all fets, tested and they all tested OK so re-installed and tested the speaker terminals for the presence of DC and the left channel has a slow creep upto 3.5V before the protection relay cuts in. Back to diagnostics again  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29067 on: April 10, 2019, 09:59:14 pm »
Gah hate repairs like that. Good luck  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29068 on: April 10, 2019, 10:11:51 pm »

An SB-102?  :wtf: I thought you were done playing ham.  :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29069 on: April 10, 2019, 10:15:32 pm »
Only the communicating with people bit. While there's people to mug, I'm still going to refurb stuff for my own enjoyment and sell it for a premium to pay for the test gear addiction :-DD

Also VHF SSTV, APRS, WSPR and futzing with microwave bands are still on. None of those require interacting with humans :D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29070 on: April 10, 2019, 10:17:21 pm »
Only the communicating with people bit. While there's people to mug, I'm still going to refurb stuff for my own enjoyment and sell it for a premium to pay for the test gear addiction :-DD

Also VHF SSTV, APRS, WSPR and futzing with microwave bands are still on. None of those require interacting with humans :D

Oh OK. Gotcha. Carry on.  :-+ :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29071 on: April 10, 2019, 10:30:57 pm »
Replaced the Mosfet on the A109 today and everything was working fine for a few minutes then the protection relay clicked on, sound switched off and the input LEDs all flashed on/off which I think is a fault signal. Checked on the heatsinks and they were really warm and the Mosfet that failed and a new one installed was way to hot to touch for long, the other 3 were also very hot. Removed all fets, tested and they all tested OK so re-installed and tested the speaker terminals for the presence of DC and the left channel has a slow creep upto 3.5V before the protection relay cuts in. Back to diagnostics again  :palm:

Desolder and lift the gate legs of all the FETs, power up with 100Ω resistors in place of the speakers. It may be easier to cut a slot in the pad to isolate the gate; if you do this, make the slot thin enough to easily bridge with solder when you're done diag-ing. If voltage creeps up on the outputs, then you have a FET leaking at operating voltage. Design of the amplifier determines whether that will be the source or drain of the FET; but you'll be able to identify the leaky FET by looking for the same voltage as at the speaker terminals.

If you're lucky, the new parts are okay and its some semi in the next stage up or even the one before that; these are often ICs but may be discrete. You'll be able to find the culprit by tracing back from the similarly creeping voltage on the gate pads of the finals; this is usually because the original failure cascaded excessive voltage up the amplifier stages.

Yeah, it's a total PITA. There's a reason most repair shops stopped fixing those damned things; hard to justify charging for hours of diag time on a stereo that can be replaced for $200-300 with new speakers and remote.

mnem
*tzzt*

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29072 on: April 10, 2019, 10:46:50 pm »
Don't disagree, but for me its all about the satisfaction of a job well done and as long as I can flip it at the end and recoup my expenses then it's a win for me, kept me busy, increased my knowledge and exercised the old grey matter, at my age, thats important as I certainly don't want to lose the ability to think straight  :-+ :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29073 on: April 10, 2019, 10:58:37 pm »
Agreed; that's why I was passing on the hard-won knowledge of years spent fixing car stereo amps and bookshelf units like yours for fun & profit. This is the diag process I developed myself; it may be good, it may be bad... but it kept us in fuel and campground fees for several years when it was my primary source of income.  >:D

Hope it helps you find the burnt bean that's stinking up your chili.  :-+

mnem

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:25:07 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29074 on: April 10, 2019, 11:07:05 pm »
And on that matter, this book, chapter "The Importance Of Fixing":

https://doc.xdevs.com/doc/_Books/Jim_Williams_The_Art_and_Science_of_Analog_Circuit_Design.pdf

(book contains pizza and tek guts)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf