Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14929992 times)

707dave, tggzzz, Kosmic and 245 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #53750 on: March 27, 2020, 09:30:57 pm »
It was amazing. Best thing I’ve eaten all week  :-DD. Uber eats is still functioning correctly fortunately  :phew:

Do they deliver across the pond?  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #53751 on: March 27, 2020, 09:32:43 pm »
Aaaaand BOOM:

(Attachment Link)

PostMord handed the package over 5 minutes ago. Things work.

PostMord? Didn't they send your order by FedEx?

Yes, but PostMord was last mile. I was truly baffled by this trick. Other than that, Tuesday to Friday is OK, especially in these times. 

And I forgot to order 10K resistors. Next time I'm in town (coming week) I'll stop by at Elfa and get some. Price is horrible, of course, but they'll have them.

And, which is why I pulled the trigger on this order, I can now build my balancing amplifier cards, almost (damn 10K resistors), once I take care to not only guess what the silk screen on the cards points to, but also measure what goes where, and fit resistors as they were supposed to sit, not where the silkscreen says. Protip: once you've squeezed components too close, it pays to nudge the symbols on the silkscreen layer so you can tell which label belongs to which component outline...  Still, for being my first-ever PCB built through the "shipping KiCAD Gerbers to someone" method, it's remarkably useful and correct.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:40:24 pm by mansaxel »

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53752 on: March 27, 2020, 10:38:02 pm »
Yes, but PostMord was last mile. I was truly baffled by this trick. Other than that, Tuesday to Friday is OK, especially in these times. 

Odd. Maybe PostMord are helping them out.

My Mouser order has only just changed to "in shipping", so maybe they are short staffed at the warehouse.

And I forgot to order 10K resistors. Next time I'm in town (coming week) I'll stop by at Elfa and get some. Price is horrible, of course, but they'll have them.

Give them a call first to check that the Solna shop is open. Last time I was on their site they said that opening hours for the shop were cut back due to staff shortages.

Alternatively, if you're just looking for standard through hole 1% metal film 1/4 watt resistors, I have plenty of them in 10K if you need some for the cost of a beer.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53753 on: March 27, 2020, 10:40:08 pm »
I'm not keeping up, have other fora, and real life is a bit crazy

is everybody in here OK??
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53754 on: March 27, 2020, 10:51:53 pm »
So far, so good I think. I haven't noticed anyone suddenly going missing at least.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #53755 on: March 27, 2020, 11:00:25 pm »
   ...And we're back in business.

mnem
*fettle... fettle... tinker-fettle... *
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53756 on: March 27, 2020, 11:02:00 pm »
Yeah, we're all fi<gurk>
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, WastelandTek, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53757 on: March 27, 2020, 11:25:40 pm »
Med turned his Fluke into a Bluke. I think that’s the only victim so far since you last checked in  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, Specmaster, beanflying, nixiefreqq

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #53758 on: March 27, 2020, 11:38:04 pm »
Martin.M is conspicuous by his absence however he has been keeping his eye on us and last activity was a couple of days back.  :phew:

Maybe he's just broken from shifting his triple nickels around.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #53759 on: March 27, 2020, 11:43:55 pm »

Odd. Maybe PostMord are helping them out.

My Mouser order has only just changed to "in shipping", so maybe they are short staffed at the warehouse.

Yes. Entirely possible. On both maybes.

Give them a call first to check that the Solna shop is open. Last time I was on their site they said that opening hours for the shop were cut back due to staff shortages.

Alternatively, if you're just looking for standard through hole 1% metal film 1/4 watt resistors, I have plenty of them in 10K if you need some for the cost of a beer.

Thanks for the offer. Yes, I saw that on the web site too.  I'll take a peek in the component dungeon at work first; since I'll have to go in anyway and do some fiber patching, and get some network devices connected so I can configure them remotely.  I'll PM you if my search turns up empty.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53760 on: March 28, 2020, 01:08:27 am »
hey oculus

don't i still owe you some 3440 display boards?

or did you find a local source?

with all the wacky stuff goin' on these days it is easy to lose track of life's real priorities....... TE, cat litter, and chocolate hob nobs. 

(but i did make it to wal mart today and got 40lbs of cat litter)
free range primate

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #53761 on: March 28, 2020, 01:45:45 am »

A test print was fired off and dinner arrived courtesy Charcoal Grill in Twickenham. Fuck the diet tonight. I need protein and carbs!!!!!!!!!  :-DD

Dude, that shit looks like you printed it off using the Ender...

The ebay scammer is back btw, reported a couple of his listings for HP3458 etc, user name bannyfp or something.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53762 on: March 28, 2020, 01:53:14 am »
Need a bigger lab, this is almost perfect, but not anywhere near ideal if you collect boat anchors  :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: klab

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #53763 on: March 28, 2020, 01:58:04 am »
Need a bigger lab, this is almost perfect, but not anywhere near ideal if you collect boat anchors  :-DD

"This guy are sick"

He's clearly collecting bats in the belfry rather than boat anchors...

EDIT: Ugh, I clearly need to go to bed, before I decide that drilling holes for shelves at 2:30am is acceptable behaviour...   :=\
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:14:29 am by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53764 on: March 28, 2020, 02:28:15 am »
(but i did make it to wal mart today and got 40lbs of cat litter)

Lordy, you're going to need a big bottle of chilli sauce to make that lot palatable.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mr. Scram, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53765 on: March 28, 2020, 02:40:04 am »
"This guy are sick"

Hey, don't knock Colin Furze. Any bloke who builds a jet powered bicycle is alright by me.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #53766 on: March 28, 2020, 03:15:40 am »
Measure twice, model once, check the model, cut once twice  :palm:

The idea to make a nice 90 degree vertical fence to replace the rubbish injection molded one was ok overall execution 2/10.....

EDIT: A little while later MK2 now 9/10  :-+
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:03:31 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #53767 on: March 28, 2020, 03:28:25 am »

Nah, one of those decommissioned missile silos you can occasionally find coming up for sale here in the states. People turn them into dwellings. Definitely "fixer-upper" though.  :-/O

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #53768 on: March 28, 2020, 03:39:40 am »
Sort of test equipment -
It's grey, very heavy and extremely flat

It's a surface plate! (for some reason I can't load photos at present - imagine grey granite block 12x9x3 inches - 30kg!)

Re other matters
My ham club asked me to do a presentation on Books of interest to Hams, because of covid - the meeting was cancelled - instead
 we put the slides (pdf) up on the clubs website and I gave the presentation over the local 2m repeater, lots of jokes re 2m distancing and the only 'contact' sport still allowed! It was quite good as lots of other hams from the city joined in, including some who are pretty immobile.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 04:08:10 am by VK5RC »
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, beanflying

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53769 on: March 28, 2020, 03:49:22 am »
Groceries...

So... I needed a LED strip for my 3D printer. And a fix for a heatsink that fell off the heated bed MOSFET. Oh, and laundry detergent.  :-DD The 0.100" pin header was just cuz.  >:D And as usual... Amazon wanted my business, so there they were with next day delivery. Who am I to say no...? :-//

300mm x 6mm COB LED strip is actually quite excellent for ~US$4.50 via Amazon; it appears to have no ballast resistors of any sort, so a CC driver or regulated DC & ~10W+ ballast resistor is the way to go. It's rated 12V/800mA; at 10.5 volts it just turns on. At 12.0V it draws 620mA; at 12.1V 770mA, at 12.2V 910mA. Brightness is quite good at 620mA; that's where I'd set my drive current to decrease the likelihood of a shorted element.

0.100" Pin headers... Ehhh, they're like bread. Not really interesting until you don't have any. :-DD I have a project where I'll PROBABLY need some; so I added them to my quick list. 48 strips of my most commonly used types for ~US$11. I know... still expensive... when you're used to getting them for pennies as leftovers from work BOMs... but about as cheap as you'll get these small quantities anywhere next day to your door.  :-+

What I thought y'all would be most interested in though is these little MOSFET PCBs. This whole MESS cost me just under CAD$17, or about US$12.

They claim they're good for use on 24V-powered printers up to 25A draw and will work w2ith pretty much any of the popular 3DP controllers. It uses a YMP200N08Q MOSFET; several site on alibaba list it as equivalent to IRFP2907 & HY4008 (PDFs below) 80V/200A switching MOSFET. :-// It has indicator LEDs for power & PWM; it's designed to take the heated bed output of the FET on your RAMPS or similar 3DP controller board (typically at 12V or 24V) and use it to trigger this big beast. It rectifies the signal through a bridge, then to an opto-isolator; then through a a few resistors to tame the signal to the typical ~10 volts these brutes can handle across the gate.

I see them as cheap pass-element building blocks; easily mounted at a DC load and controlled remotely by pretty much anything, but designed to be fast enough for PWM power switching.   8)

mnem
Good thing I only really NEED one of these... I'll probably test one or two to failure.  >:D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:03:13 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53770 on: March 28, 2020, 04:12:56 am »

Perfect for your survivors tho... all they have to do when you die is prop you up in your wheelie chair & pour it all full of concrete through the stairwell. At our typical rate of pack-rattage, should take 5-8yards. :-DD

mnem
Who wants to be an archaeological discovery in 300 years...? >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53771 on: March 28, 2020, 04:28:30 am »
"This guy are sick"

Hey, don't knock Colin Furze. Any bloke who builds a jet powered bicycle is alright by me.  :-+

Aye, and he's turned his particular brand of batshit crazy into a multimillion-dollar concern. How many of us can claim the same...? ;)

mnem
"Crazy Like a Fox" - Phrase, colloq-See Colin Furze.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 04:42:18 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #53772 on: March 28, 2020, 05:52:54 am »
I've been experimenting with using MATLAB plus the Instrument Control Toolbox as a computational companion (via GPIB) to my 8566B. So far, so good. I used Dick Benson's little application (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/68906-spectrum-analysis-with-the-hp-8568b-8566b) as a starting point to add other types of measurements using the RF toolbox. So far, so good. Tonight I got an occupied bandwidth measurement to work (at least, it gives reasonable numbers). I don't have a modern SA with these features to compare against.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: cjuried, mnementh, Mortymore, Kosmic

Offline Sam Spastic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53773 on: March 28, 2020, 07:06:56 am »
Is it channels 60 and 61? That would be 4G/LTE?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 07:12:59 am by Sam Spastic »
An old fart.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Sam Spastic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53774 on: March 28, 2020, 07:40:00 am »
What tics me off is FCC sold TV channels to cell phone service providers. So now the stations have to be repacked. Expensive! Then re-scanned every few weeks while the stations move to their new positions. 

I cut cable and satellite when the bill went over $100. 40+ free digital channels, so not looking back.  Have Hulu and Netflix to keep wife and kids happy.

200 Mbit fiber internet so everybody can stream what they want.

I mostly watch Prime Time and the big tv will record my shows.  NO TIVO.
An old fart.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf