Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14929537 times)

Kosmic, Wolfgang and 80 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #59850 on: May 30, 2020, 03:00:31 pm »
Yep windows 7 is quite frankly “fucking horrid” now.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #59851 on: May 30, 2020, 03:06:39 pm »
Bench power supply / supplies and a Suitable current limiting resistor. They can have 20v drop across them easily.

Measure V across diode to get voltage drop and measure V across R to get whether or not the diode is fucked.

OK, what size current limiting resistor should I start with?

I would work on current first so stick a 1k resistor and ammeter in series and slowly ramp up the supply voltage until it reads 2mA or so in the right direction. It probably won’t do a lot until at least 10-20V.

Try it on a good diode first to make sure it works.

OK, thanks. In order to get those two HV boards out to check the resistors I have to unsolder all that wiring.  :wtf: :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #59852 on: May 30, 2020, 03:08:02 pm »
I’ve found this as well, but the last time I said anything to that effect I got dogpiled for using/suggesting folks use “contaminated” IPA. So now I just keep my mouth shut, and keep a spray bottle of each on the bench.  ;)

mnem
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Oh no, are you feeling feverish, have a headache, loss of taste and smell? You must be suffering from CVD19 (sounds of a klaxon horn going off to alert everyone). This is not the mnem that all know and love, can't be, keeping mouth shut  :palm: >:D Get well soon please old buddy, its discord day today  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Ehhh... I keep my mouth shut about a LOT of things; YOU HAVE NO IDEA how hard it is sometimes.  >:D 

mnem
Old age has taught me to choose my battles; there's more than enough misery to go around without grabbing for more. :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59853 on: May 30, 2020, 03:12:22 pm »
I've always remembered and applied a concept from James Clavell's "Noble House". A character in that novel, a lady executive has the objective to have “drop dead money”. The “drop dead money” is that amount of money that she calculates she needs so that she would have the freedom and the luxury to tell anyone to “drop dead” without worrying about her financial security.
Financial independence is something often discussed with friends. It can be a difficult balance. It's tempting to work towards the drop dead point with all your might except that if you were to drop dead beforehand, it's been all for nought and you may not have spent your time wisely. Finding the balance between now and future can be a challenge, although not continuously dealing with the now due to a lack of resources or unwise use of available resources is a great first step.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59854 on: May 30, 2020, 03:15:20 pm »
@ BU508A: Condolences from the Dwagon's Cave as well, my friend.

mnem
"Time is a man's most precious resource; the one thing you can't buy, beg, borrow or steal." ~me

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59855 on: May 30, 2020, 03:22:16 pm »
Today I did the hot air gun repair to the 4503 meter and I'm very pleased to report that it worked a treat, suspect joints that under a microscope appeared to be flawed on the component side of the board (2 layer board) where perfect on the solder side and after treating the top of those joints with rosin and gently warming with the hot air gun, the joints flowed nicely. However, there were 2 slight casualties, 2 polyester caps 22nF each used as HF filters had their outer cases slightly blistered, but still work OK. I'll get these replaced soon with new ones arrive.

The residual 9Meg that resistance ranges were seeing has now completely been cured and the meter calibrated and is in complete agreement my other meters, "winner winner chicken dinner" as Dave would say. The photos below show it in resistance range with open leads and also measuring 4 x 10M resistors soldered together quickly to test the meters capability.
You can use Kapton tape to shield surrounding components.
Yes I could, I have some but the caps were some of the suspected bad joints that I needed to reflow from the top side and no way of getting on iron tip in there without actually touching them and other items.

Alternately, you can use the silicone rubber mat they give you for changing the tips on your MetCal as a heat shield; I've done it many times.  :-+

Yeah, you've learned here the hard lesson of hot-air rework: Attack one problem at a time. Trying to get two birds with one stone often leads to eating burned feathers instead.  :-DD

mnem
I can mix metaphors with the best worst of 'em...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59856 on: May 30, 2020, 03:27:06 pm »
   Incoming, hopefully arriving soon is another AVO model 8, Mk5, complete with all leads, manual and also a clamp on amp probe, a bit grubby but it will clean up nicely. Seller is a retired electrical engineer having a clear out to save his son from having it to do when the time comes, in other words a pre SK sale. This will bring my tally of Avo model 8's upto 3. It wont get used all that much, but at the price it would be rude not to and I'm sure that one day these fine lovable meters will escalate in value. :-+

The attached photo is not actual meter, but it is however the same.

Whatcha doin' widdat hot-glue gun & clock gears there, Spec...? And you have it upside-down so it makes the AVO smiley-face... N0000000000000!!!!

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59857 on: May 30, 2020, 03:31:09 pm »
I've always remembered and applied a concept from James Clavell's "Noble House". A character in that novel, a lady executive has the objective to have “drop dead money”. The “drop dead money” is that amount of money that she calculates she needs so that she would have the freedom and the luxury to tell anyone to “drop dead” without worrying about her financial security.
Financial independence is something often discussed with friends. It can be a difficult balance. It's tempting to work towards the drop dead point with all your might except that if you were to drop dead beforehand, it's been all for nought and you may not have spent your time wisely. Finding the balance between now and future can be a challenge, although not continuously dealing with the now due to a lack of resources or unwise use of available resources is a great first step.

Also your ex wife might try and steal it before you get there  >:(

That’s all I’m going to say on that matter.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59858 on: May 30, 2020, 03:34:00 pm »
The Fluke 8125A .. looks pretty nice for age... not sure but from the 70's like me... omg that 50 years??

https://youtu.be/ko6Quk2e-F8

Yes i did open it.. :))

That is a thing of beauty, Tony. Proper military-grade bulldozer-chic right there. ;)

Don't forget to look for and evict any RIFAs and suspect tants... IIRC from another teardown, these have both.

mnem
 :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59859 on: May 30, 2020, 03:39:22 pm »
Yep windows 7 is quite frankly “fucking horrid” now.
No! Windows 7 is perfect and Windows 10 is a shit show. Those are the rules of the internet. Saying anything else will invoke the mob and a lot of fist shaking.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59860 on: May 30, 2020, 03:40:22 pm »
My first law is simply: time is the only currency worth considering.
I've found that having some other currencies massively helps with having a say over the ultimate currency, although you can easily get lost gathering those other currencies.

Yeah; the concept of "Fu** you money" has been around a lot longer than that novel.  ;)  How much that is greatly depends on the person involved, and how attached they are to their personal comforts and their "things". :-+

mnem
"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose; nothin' ain't worth nuthin, but it's free..."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 03:43:48 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59861 on: May 30, 2020, 03:43:27 pm »
Yes, it's Saturday. I'll be on Discord at approx 2130 UTC.
I'll do my best to be there and harangue you as usual, buddy. I know how you need your regular dose of aggravation to feel alive.  :-DD

mnem
 >:D

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #59862 on: May 30, 2020, 03:43:41 pm »
Why not just current limit the source?  :-//

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59863 on: May 30, 2020, 03:48:23 pm »
And for those thinking that those drawers contained nothing but crap, one held these gems inside:      I even have an idea where to store the remaining 6 cabinets. ;D

Fuuuuuuu... That's a £1000 worth of AD549s!  (Where's the gobsmacked emoji?)

Page 1140: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/28475/

Here ya go, C:   

mnem
"Very helpful... very helpful indeed." Chibila thought to himself...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #59864 on: May 30, 2020, 03:48:48 pm »
Bench power supply / supplies and a Suitable current limiting resistor. They can have 20v drop across them easily.

Measure V across diode to get voltage drop and measure V across R to get whether or not the diode is fucked.

I would work on current first so stick a 1k resistor and ammeter in series and slowly ramp up the supply voltage until it reads 2mA or so in the right direction. It probably won’t do a lot until at least 10-20V.

OK, thanks. In order to get those two HV boards out to check the resistors I have to unsolder all that wiring.  :wtf: :palm:

Update....and QService in Greece has 7 of them in stock in case they are bad....or I fubar them.  :-DD

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #59865 on: May 30, 2020, 03:51:42 pm »
Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning ...  :phew:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59866 on: May 30, 2020, 03:52:04 pm »
I'll do my best to be there and harangue you as usual, buddy. I know how you need your regular dose of aggravation to feel alive.  :-DD

mnem

mnem
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 03:54:09 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59867 on: May 30, 2020, 04:02:12 pm »
Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning ...  :phew:   

mnem
 :clap:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 04:07:10 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59868 on: May 30, 2020, 04:11:07 pm »
Bench power supply / supplies and a Suitable current limiting resistor. They can have 20v drop across them easily. Measure V across diode to get voltage drop and measure V across R to get whether or not the diode is fucked.

Yup. That's because they aren't really a single diode, but a long chain of them encapsulated in epoxy.  |O

mnem
 :-/O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59869 on: May 30, 2020, 04:11:33 pm »

Update....and QService in Greece has 7 of them in stock in case they are bad....or I fubar them.  :-DD

Worth looking at hvstuff.com as well: http://hvstuff.com/high-voltage-diodes-and-rectifiers

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #59870 on: May 30, 2020, 04:12:24 pm »
Bench power supply / supplies and a Suitable current limiting resistor. They can have 20v drop across them easily. Measure V across diode to get voltage drop and measure V across R to get whether or not the diode is fucked.

Yup. That's because they aren't really a single diode, but a long chain of them encapsulated in epoxy.  |O

mnem
 :-/O

Yea, I figured it was something like that.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #59871 on: May 30, 2020, 04:56:44 pm »

mnem

I either said something incredibly stupid or I produced the Columbus' egg. I honnestly can't figure out which one from your reaction :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59872 on: May 30, 2020, 05:20:55 pm »
I just spotted what for all the world looks like a 87V while closing the hatch on the Dragon capsule. Looks like they they were using it in the ohms range or continuity mode. Maybe some kind of check to ensure the door's sealed and seated properly? Quite curious.

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 07:42:45 pm by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59873 on: May 30, 2020, 05:30:59 pm »
And for those thinking that those drawers contained nothing but crap, one held these gems inside:      I even have an idea where to store the remaining 6 cabinets. ;D

Fuuuuuuu... That's a £1000 worth of AD549s!  (Where's the gobsmacked emoji?)

Page 1140: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/28475/

Here ya go, C:   

mnem
"Very helpful... very helpful indeed." Chibila thought to himself...

Previous post amended.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59874 on: May 30, 2020, 05:37:18 pm »

mnem

mnem

I either said something incredibly stupid or I produced the Columbus' egg. I honestly can't figure out which one from your reaction :-DD

It was the juxtaposition of your post directly under mine which I found amusing; so I decided to give you what (in that context) it seemed you were asking for: to current-limit the aggravation at the source.:-DD

So yes, you did in a way "produce the Columbus' egg"; you shut up the dwagon, at least for a moment.   >:D

mnem

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf