Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14949111 times)

klab, BravoV, Robert763 and 217 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #61925 on: June 27, 2020, 12:20:27 am »

.....snip

so he can't be that ignorant or he would have gone out of business, or knowing how gungho a lot of your fellow ex countrymen are, he'd have been shot or had his arse sued by now.

He's Canadian and I think he's in Vancover, B.C.

There is of course another very probable possibility... that he's one of the "chainsaw mechanic" electronics repair school; fully cognizant of the 9th Law and uses it to drive his business model.

The kind who looks for and replaces those faulty caps one at a time as they fail and charges for every iteration of that repair cycle that falls outside of his warranty promise. Then when the customer doesn't want to pay a THIRD time to replace a capacitor that's part of a "service kit" which ALL should've been done at once, he keeps it on mechanic's lein and fixes the thing right for resale. 

mnem
:bullshit:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 12:21:59 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61926 on: June 27, 2020, 12:50:35 am »
What ever, I always enjoy his videos and he has many talents as Med has pointed out. I suppose we all have our weak points and maybe his is caps?, Oh and err of course the inner workings of an oscilloscope I understand  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #61927 on: June 27, 2020, 01:03:09 am »
Big money, big money! It's MegaTEA time. :popcorn:

MegaTEA: Major Economic Grief Acquisition TEA.  This scenario is characterised by the high cost of purchasing a single piece of kit.  It can also be extended to include those purchases where additional accessories need to be purchased for the primary unit to be able to perform to the best of its capabilities.  While the actual financial value involved can vary, the key characteristic is that the subject's reaction to the idea of spending that amount is an immediate and resounding "NO!" followed by a period of reflection, revisiting and rationalisation that results in pulling the trigger.  Risk factors are essentially the same for any TEA acquisition, but at a much higher level.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 01:04:48 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61928 on: June 27, 2020, 01:04:44 am »

Sew... I spent the afternoon being a sewing machine mechanic. This is a "blind-stitch" machine; it's used to make "invisible" stitched hems in clothing & drapery.

Very little repair; mostly cleaning and making presentable. Had a buggered-up spring for the knee-lever that took half an hour to sort. New light bulb, now it appears to be ready for service. I can see that all the mechanism works and runs very smooth; same with the motor & clutch. :-+

Date on the motor indicates it was made circa 1977 by The Center Sewing Machine Manufacturing Co LTD of Tokyo; it appears to be a clone of the US Stitchline 718-2 BlindStitch machine made at that time. I have my suspicions that it may have been made by the same factory who made them for US Stitchline... there was a lot of that going on at the time. The RELSEW label is pretty obviously trying to sound like CONSEW, another reputable name brand in the industry. They even tried to make the plaque in the same style as CONSEW used.

Anyways... I see a US vendor selling the 718-2 for $950 just the head; I think I'll post for CAD$400 to move this one quick.

Now on to the Juki...

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:59:02 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #61929 on: June 27, 2020, 01:06:24 am »
Looking to stitch someone up, eh?     ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #61930 on: June 27, 2020, 01:08:50 am »
Gee whiz, the 4th of July isn't until next week and already it sounds like WW3 out there with illegal fireworks. :o  I guess it's to break out from the extended isolation.   :-//  Can't wait to hear it next Saturday.  ;D

I believe that was the day we put you Brits on formal notice.  :P :P :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #61931 on: June 27, 2020, 01:09:51 am »
As if I can talk.

I found a treadmill on the footpath 3 doors down once.  Looked like a decent machine, so I hauled it onto the back patio.  After some time, I finally got around to checking it out and fixed it for less than $20 of parts.  I moved it on for $400 through Gumtree.

I suppose in one way, I did give them the run around.   :D

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61932 on: June 27, 2020, 01:11:04 am »
Looking to stitch someone up, eh?     ;D

*bah-dump-bump... tssshhht!*

Well, I figured I might be able to pay for my new CReality 3DP and maybe the RC transmitter... stop feeling guilty about those frivolous expenditures.  :palm:

mnem
Who am I kidding...? I'm just gonna go 'scope shopping!  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61933 on: June 27, 2020, 02:37:49 am »
Oh, FFS... SMF is fukkin' with my head AGAIN.  |O

mnem
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:53:42 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61934 on: June 27, 2020, 02:52:24 am »
Quote from: bitseeker on Today at 10:48:47
Big money, big money! It's MegaTEA time. :popcorn:

MegaTEA: Major Economic Grief Acquisition TEA.  This scenario is characterised by the high cost of purchasing a single piece of kit.  It can also be extended to include those purchases where additional accessories need to be purchased for the primary unit to be able to perform to the best of its capabilities.  While the actual financial value involved can vary, the key characteristic is that the subject's reaction to the idea of spending that amount is an immediate and resounding "NO!" followed by a period of reflection, revisiting and rationalisation that results in pulling the trigger.  Risk factors are essentially the same for any TEA acquisition, but at a much higher level.
Well crap, I am having a MegaTEA moment with my Fluke 8502A and HP 3478A during my reflection to get both of them calibrated and get parts to fix the fluke where it gets all features I wanted.

Any suggestions because I don't have Test equipement to calibrate my bench DMMs and I want find anyone in Canada who is willing to get my benchies calibrated without being ruined by this cost.

One lab has quoted 240 CAD for fluke and 135 CAD for my HP. :scared:   
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 02:55:52 am by TorinoFermic »

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #61935 on: June 27, 2020, 02:55:22 am »
Have you seen the full glossary (and other juicy tidbits) in the original post of this thread?

Careful ... you might find yourself nodding to the majority of those entries right off the bat!

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61936 on: June 27, 2020, 03:33:49 am »
Ah yes, my Fluke 8502A is giving me a case of ESD ( DC and Ohms only at this moment ) and I am constantly trying contact the seller at https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=375420 but so far, he hasn't replied for more than 1 week.  |O
Any options for that ?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61937 on: June 27, 2020, 08:41:13 am »
Gee whiz, the 4th of July isn't until next week and already it sounds like WW3 out there with illegal fireworks. :o  I guess it's to break out from the extended isolation.   :-//  Can't wait to hear it next Saturday.  ;D

I believe that was the day we put you Brits on formal notice.  :P :P :-DD

Don't hold your breath but very soon it looks likely that we'll be BACK as the 51st State  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61938 on: June 27, 2020, 09:00:25 am »
The best state  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #61939 on: June 27, 2020, 09:18:01 am »
If that happens what will you do with the queens, kings, earls, dukes, sirs, and knights? Toss them in the harbor with the tea?  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61940 on: June 27, 2020, 09:42:21 am »
I have no problems with drowning the whole lot.  8)

We’re already chucking their statues in the sea at the moment  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #61941 on: June 27, 2020, 10:06:55 am »
Tossing statues is happening here too. Columbus is a prime target. There's even individuals who want the city of Columbus, Ohio to change it's name. Any statue related to the Confederacy is also a target. And even some want any reference to the confederacy removed from West Point. Like it or not it's an important part of our history and many confederate officers graduated from West Point.

These idiots want to wipe and forget history. Problem is....those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. 

One thing I do agree with. Many southern states still had in part of their state flag or in whole the confederate flag and displayed them on government property. That flag has no business as part of current government and the argument was that it was part of their "heritage" which is BS. Want to fly it on private property? No problem, that's your right.

And believe it or not if you want to fly the Nazi flag on your property it's perfectly legal and protected. 

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61942 on: June 27, 2020, 10:15:30 am »
Completely agree. Erasing all negative symbology from history tends to have the opposite of the desired outcome over time. Humans instinctively do the same things over and over again without reminders not to.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #61943 on: June 27, 2020, 10:36:34 am »
You only have to look to Germany, who appears to be setting the example of how to acknowledge history and its wrongs.
In Aus, our indigenous peoples are doing particularly badly. A simple solution isn't obvious to me.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #61944 on: June 27, 2020, 10:58:32 am »
The best state  :-DD

If you live in the State of De Nile you get wet feet  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #61945 on: June 27, 2020, 10:59:45 am »
I think we all NEED one of these  ;D  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000176232299.html

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, BU508A, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61946 on: June 27, 2020, 11:04:35 am »
The distributed inductance and capacitance is killing me inside  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61947 on: June 27, 2020, 11:05:28 am »
You only have to look to Germany, who appears to be setting the example of how to acknowledge history and its wrongs.
In Aus, our indigenous peoples are doing particularly badly. A simple solution isn't obvious to me.

Err, AfD and the pockets of nazis are still proving difficult I understand.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61948 on: June 27, 2020, 11:10:34 am »

Err, AfD and the pockets of nazis are still proving difficult I understand.

I guess we have to remain aware and conscious of the dark side of human nature, and do our part from preventing it from spinning out of control.  Things can get really intensely bad if we're not careful.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, mansaxel

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #61949 on: June 27, 2020, 11:19:03 am »
Tossing statues is happening here too. Columbus is a prime target. There's even individuals who want the city of Columbus, Ohio to change it's name. Any statue related to the Confederacy is also a target. And even some want any reference to the confederacy removed from West Point. Like it or not it's an important part of our history and many confederate officers graduated from West Point.

These idiots want to wipe and forget history. Problem is....those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. 

One thing I do agree with. Many southern states still had in part of their state flag or in whole the confederate flag and displayed them on government property. That flag has no business as part of current government and the argument was that it was part of their "heritage" which is BS. Want to fly it on private property? No problem, that's your right.

And believe it or not if you want to fly the Nazi flag on your property it's perfectly legal and protected.

Yeah, let's just rewrite history, so we can go ahead and make all the same mistakes again, and pretend we didn't know.   :palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, TorinoFermic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf