Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14937630 times)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63400 on: July 15, 2020, 07:00:50 pm »
technically you are no longer EU  :-DD :-DD

Unban them and enjoy your freedom !

The NiCads I had are probably toast by now due to old age and not adhereing to optimum storage conditions. sorry.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63401 on: July 15, 2020, 07:08:24 pm »
Random question. Decided I’m doing a full restoration on this fluke 8050A when it arrives. Factory condition or bust. Probably the latter but we’ll see.

That means I need to source some NiCd batteries. Does anyone know anyone in the UK that still stocks them?

Yes, Amazon, Rapid Electronics and Mouser stock them, but as always it depends on what types they are.

Had some decent luck with TME. Not so much with eBay (some geezer shipped me NiMH equivalent  ::) )

Ahha good idea with TME. Cheaper on there and get it shipped to UK than pay for RS  :palm:

Yeah was worried about NiMh subs. Lots of bad juju on eBay.

The NiCads I had are probably toast by now due to old age and not adhereing to optimum storage conditions. sorry.

Good point. I agree that they should have banned the things but only for consumer shit that ends up in landfill.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63402 on: July 15, 2020, 07:12:03 pm »
working on my High End audiophool music streamer.
I found a Streacom aluminium case for low bucks (170€), the seller included a mainboard, CPU, RAM, power supply, plus a slot in Blue Ray and a slot in DVD drive. Also offered an Audio Card (Asus Xonar) with a 192 kHz Burr Brown DAC for 40€...

Now I am waiting for the mini-PCI-E to PCI-E riser/extender card. As soon as I have that the music server should be finalized.
yay.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63403 on: July 15, 2020, 07:15:49 pm »

... ravaging fair maidens on multiple continents.  The nationalist nativists just don't get what they're missing! :D

Here, they're so incompatible with the rest of the population that they're importing wives from mostly Thailand, in order to get someone to rule over, since of course the husband shall rule his wife, etc ad infinitum idiot-babble.

They better develop an appreciation for south asian geography then. They can try that with a Meo girl.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63404 on: July 15, 2020, 07:25:35 pm »

The SAR pilots are the most risk-adverse people I know because they have seen so much going wrong.
Murphy never sleeps, so play safe. Having fun is oine thing, being plain silly is another.
Err, must I remind you of the Mannheim incident? SAR helicopter crew tried to play games and crashed at the foot of the tower taking several meters of the tip with them.
It was fully lighted. The inofficial take is that one of them wanted to step onto the platform.

When was that ?
No games. The pilot did not see the tower in bad weather (3AM).
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernmeldeturm_Mannheim#Hubschrauberabsturz_in_Mannheim_1994
The tower lighting was renewed and the tip of the tower was painted in white/red.
From the place where I lived then (same house, 2 floors up), I had that tower's upmost part in full view. Looked at it about 20min before and had not a visibility problem. Then I left on feet towards a nearby nightclub , which closed at 3AM in order to pick a friend up and walk her home or my place. When I was there, the sirens became many. When we arrived, I needed some time to comprehend fully what they were talking about, until I looked out of the window.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63405 on: July 15, 2020, 07:50:26 pm »
friend of mine was an SAR pilot. he did not come to university one night. We learned that he did not notice the hundreds KV line when trying to air lift someone out of an emergency situation. Everybody else on that chopper survived. RIP.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63406 on: July 15, 2020, 07:51:19 pm »
Random question. Decided I’m doing a full restoration on this fluke 8050A when it arrives. Factory condition or bust. Probably the latter but we’ll see.

That means I need to source some NiCd batteries. Does anyone know anyone in the UK that still stocks them?

Yes, Amazon, Rapid Electronics and Mouser stock them, but as always it depends on what types they are.

Had some decent luck with TME. Not so much with eBay (some geezer shipped me NiMH equivalent  ::) )

Ahha good idea with TME. Cheaper on there and get it shipped to UK than pay for RS  :palm:

Good point. I agree that they should have banned the things but only for consumer shit that ends up in landfill.
The list of technical achievements which are eradicated by the wellmeaning fools becomes longer every day. With the demise of the incandescent bulb in the EU they gave the last little nudge to many components of our grid. In the absence of stabilizing ohmic loads, the harmonic effects become more destructive. In the 80s and 90s, power failures caused by burning medium-high voltage cables were a rare thing. They have become commonplace.
But it is with battery systems where one can see how the industry is complicit in this. The idea on their side was that banning NiCad would drive everyone to their Li-systems. You can see the same with battery chemistries which weren't environmentally outlawed. Take the extremely long-term storage capable magnesium cell - gone. To get sufficient performance, a battery pack made of two types of Li-cells had to be created.
And the NiMH lose performance faster than a NiCad which is treated properly (either kept buffered at all time or properly discharged).

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, Saskia

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63407 on: July 15, 2020, 08:17:58 pm »
for those following along at home.

our own version of Odysseus (med) arrived on schedule in gettysburg.

he departed with a small amount of plunder and is currently wandering the battlefield before setting off to his homeland.

upon his return we hope for songs or poems about his encounters with one eyed giants and sirens in pennsylvania.

I just rolled in at home. Did a quick 25 cent in car only tour of the battlefield then bonsai dash home. Due to nixiefreqq's generosity I am now sweating like a pig after hauling all the loot up the stairs.  :phew: Stacked on the kitchen counter. I'll take pix and describe what it all is after I cool off. 

Didn't see any sirens or one eyed giants but did encounter some smelly truckers at a gas/coffee/snack/piss stop. I guess if you're on the road all the time who cares if you stink?  :P :-DD   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63408 on: July 15, 2020, 08:18:29 pm »
todays score...      Big meter with temp sensor and C en Transitor options.. just because is was cheap and new.

Mmmhmmm... tempting, as it's only CAD$34 with next-day Prime: https://www.amazon.ca/Multimeter-Electrical-Resistance-Transistors-Temperature/dp/B07C3JXV5S

But I just ordered one of these for Thrifting trips, because I got tired of the AN8008 probes stabbing me in the leg: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072DXFDTV/

I like that it is Auto/Manual ranging, true RMS, and has REL mode. Also, it runs on 2 AAA batteries, and is designed so you can't close it unless the switch is in OFF position.  :-+

Since it was only $18, I HAD TO add one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07YCLJK46/   

I've been missing my Ungar Heat-shrink gun a lot; I use a small heat gun for a lot of tasks. We'll see if this little cheapie can actually be serviceable.  :-+

And one of these to make the minimum for free next-day shipping  >:D :   https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0897948CB/

We'll see how I like it compared to my ThermoPro; 2-second read time is a pretty bold promise, and they claim the entire thing can be washed under the faucet. I also had problems with the ThermoPro being hard to use because of buttons so close together; we'll see if this layout is more user-friendly.

All told, ~USD$40; so average USD$13-14 per piece. Shipped. Next Day.  :o

mnem
  :-DMM

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:21:33 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63409 on: July 15, 2020, 08:22:57 pm »
for those following along at home.

our own version of Odysseus (med) arrived on schedule in gettysburg.

he departed with a small amount of plunder and is currently wandering the battlefield before setting off to his homeland.

upon his return we hope for songs or poems about his encounters with one eyed giants and sirens in pennsylvania.

I just rolled in at home. Did a quick 25 cent in car only tour of the battlefield then bonsai dash home. Due to nixiefreqq's generosity I am now sweating like a pig after hauling all the loot up the stairs.  :phew: Stacked on the kitchen counter. I'll take pix and describe what it all is after I cool off. 

Didn't see any sirens or one eyed giants but did encounter some smelly truckers at a gas/coffee/snack/piss stop. I guess if you're on the road all the time who cares if you stink?  :P :-DD   

glad to see you made it back ok.   also glad you checked in.  otherwise people might think your visit ended differently.

free range primate

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63410 on: July 15, 2020, 08:25:33 pm »
todays score...      Big meter with temp sensor and C en Transitor options.. just because is was cheap and new.

Mmmhmmm... tempting, as it's only CAD$34 with next-day Prime: https://www.amazon.ca/Multimeter-Electrical-Resistance-Transistors-Temperature/dp/B07C3JXV5S

But I just ordered one of these for Thrifting trips, because I got tired of the AN8008 probes stabbing me in the leg: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072DXFDTV/

I like that it is Auto/Manual ranging, true RMS, and has REL mode. Also, it runs on 2 AAA batteries, and is designed so you can't close it unless the switch is in OFF position.  :-+

Since it was only $18, I HAD TO add one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07YCLJK46/   

I've been missing my Ungar Heat-shrink gun a lot; I use a small heat gun for a lot of tasks. We'll see if this little cheapie can actually be serviceable.  :-+

And one of these to make the minimum for free next-day shipping  >:D :   https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0897948CB/

We'll see how I like it compared to my ThermoPro; 2-second read time is a pretty bold promise, and they claim the entire thing can be washed under the faucet. I also had problems with the ThermoPro being hard to use because of buttons so close together; we'll see if this layout is more user-friendly.

All told, ~USD$40; so average USD$13-14 per piece. Shipped. Next Day.  :o

mnem

I’ve got one of those heat guns. Works pretty well. Don’t leave it running for more than a couple of minutes though or it starts smelling pretty nasty  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63411 on: July 15, 2020, 08:31:20 pm »

Tenergy still does NiCd; they're all over Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nicd&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Also found this rando RC pack which may or may not be NOS, may or may not be subbed with rando NiMH when shipped: https://www.amazon.com/Volt-NiCd-Battery-Tamiya-Connector/dp/B01MQ4326S

Good hunting!

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63412 on: July 15, 2020, 08:38:33 pm »
I found a Streacom aluminium case for low bucks (170€), the seller included a mainboard, CPU, RAM, power supply, plus a slot in Blue Ray and a slot in DVD drive. Also offered an Audio Card (Asus Xonar) with a 192 kHz Burr Brown DAC for 40€...

Now I am waiting for the mini-PCI-E to PCI-E riser/extender card. As soon as I have that the music server should be finalized.
yay.

Why not just flash some random Java-powered BluRay player with Android/CentOS/Pi? It'll have the drive, Ethernet, RCAs, digital COAX/TosLink and HDMI and usually WiFi as well...  :o

mnem
 >:D

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63413 on: July 15, 2020, 08:45:06 pm »
Because someone asked on Discord for what I want my power supply converted to three-phase:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Hochspannungs-Netzgerat-HNCs-10000-180pos/274422869470

For example, for that.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63414 on: July 15, 2020, 08:45:52 pm »
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07YCLJK46/  I've been missing my Ungar Heat-shrink gun a lot; I use a small heat gun for a lot of tasks. We'll see if this little cheapie can actually be serviceable.  :-+
mnem
I’ve got one of those heat guns. Works pretty well. Don’t leave it running for more than a couple of minutes though or it starts smelling pretty nasty  :-DD
Yeah; I've looked at them before and the warnings about runtime were what put me off.
Also they pretty prominently state it is made of ABS, hence those warnings and YOUR warning. :-DD I figured worst case, only out $12; if I'm lucky, a little AL foil tape/Kapton tape abuse around the heater and nozzle should ameliorate that considerably.

Did you get the two-speed/dual-switch model like mine? Is it Hi/Lo or Hot/Cool air out?

mnem
 :bullshit:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:49:33 pm by mnementh »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #63415 on: July 15, 2020, 08:47:59 pm »

Www.batteriesplus.co.UK. Painless transactions for some tagged sub-C NiCds.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:52:22 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63416 on: July 15, 2020, 08:54:24 pm »

yay.

Why not just flash some random Java-powered BluRay player with Android/CentOS/Pi? It'll have the drive, Ethernet, RCAs, digital COAX/TosLink and HDMI and usually WiFi as well...  :o

mnem

cuz old non-technical folks with buttloads of moolah pay appropriately for an out of the box version with an easy to use UI that they can hook up to their audiophoolery system (as long as it has gold plated cinch jacks and a burr-brown or Wolfson 192 kHz DAC ?

And fixing those units for my buddy left me with a whole shitload of test gear that I only need to put together to make it work outta the box ?
as we tried this on some audiophoolery stereo set and the results were great to splendid I do not see any reason to change course from commodity hw to  some stuff that I need to sw fix first and then pray that it works when I can install the other stuff in a couple of minutes and sell it with 300% profit ?
(Hint: I have the sw suite for the home built commodity gizmo and it works fine. The secret lies in the integration, and that is finished.)
I am a bloody conservative and if I can get paid for what I do I'll gladly accept the green backs.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:58:22 pm by Saskia »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63417 on: July 15, 2020, 09:04:02 pm »
OK, just a quick pix of the haul then I'm going to go relax.

Continental Specialists 5001 Counter
B&K 1820 Counter
HP 5326B Counter/DVM
HP 5248L Counter with 5253B Frequency Converter
Tek 561B with 3A74 and 3B4 plug-ins
A box of spare parts

I guess I have now joined the vintage HP nixie counter crew. :-+  I'll do a teardown of each as I get the chance. The guy who gave nixiefreqq a hard time concerning the 561B and whether the receiver was "vetted" or "competent" is a hypocrite. That scope was badly stored in a damp area. There is so much corrosion on the plug-in slides that they screech when you pull them out. And some components have obvious mildew on them. If this scope "ran when parked" I'll bet it doesn't now. And I may not ever get the plug-ins working. The 561B itself will be spare parts and I'll probably swap that CRT (if good) with mine. We'll see.

It was great meeting a fellow blog member and I can't thank nixiefreqq enough.  :-+ :-+ :-+     
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, Saskia, tonyalbus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63418 on: July 15, 2020, 09:12:03 pm »
Another alert for continental Europe or anyone wanting it really:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP-Logic-Dart/193567956951

If nobody goes for it, I might even take it in as a spare.

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63419 on: July 15, 2020, 09:14:07 pm »
 :-X I am sure it will sell.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63420 on: July 15, 2020, 09:15:45 pm »
working on my High End audiophool music streamer. I found a Streacom aluminium case for low bucks (170€), the seller included a mainboard, CPU, RAM, power supply, plus a slot in Blue Ray and a slot in DVD drive. Also offered an Audio Card (Asus Xonar) with a 192 kHz Burr Brown DAC for 40€... Now I am waiting for the mini-PCI-E to PCI-E riser/extender card. As soon as I have that the music server should be finalized.
yay.

mnem
cuz old non-technical folks with buttloads of moolah pay appropriately for an out of the box version with an easy to use UI that they can hook up to their audiophoolery system (as long as it has gold plated cinch jacks and a burr-brown or Wolfson 192 kHz DAC ?

And fixing those units for my buddy left me with a whole shitload of test gear that I only need to put together to make it work outta the box ?
as we tried this on some audiophoolery stereo set and the results were great to splendid I do not see any reason to change course from commodity hw to  some stuff that I need to sw fix first and then pray that it works when I can install the other stuff in a couple of minutes and sell it with 300% profit ?
(Hint: I have the sw suite for the home built commodity gizmo and it works fine. The secret lies in the integration, and that is finished.)
I am a bloody conservative and if I can get paid for what I do I'll gladly accept the green backs.

Ahhh... I see. I was under the impression this was a "for a friend" type deal, not a commercial venture. I have no issue with those; I am self-employed as well. Currently I'm in the process of restoring 2 industrial sewing machines to flip in similar manner.  ;)

What I take issue with is the corrupt, self-destructive way capitalism and "conservatism" are practiced in the US right now. These people are NOT in any way conservative; they are rabid extremist right-wing nutjobs with a "burn it all down" agenda, and they are trying to make that extreme the mainstream.  |O

It's no surprise Obama won by a landslide; he's the first real conservative we had in the White House since Nancy Reagan. And he had to run as a Dem to get there. :palm:

mnem
/soapbox

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63421 on: July 15, 2020, 09:22:40 pm »
[RANDOM MODE]

Ya know... it's a strange sign of the times when these are there because the wife & kids keep putting them there rather than for the USUAL reason one would see this.  ???

[/RANDOM MODE]

mnem
 :o

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63422 on: July 15, 2020, 09:25:08 pm »
this friend of mine is my audiophoolery dealer from 35 years ago. We spent lots of nights in his basement listening to music on his home designed high end stuff. He's the one I got my threshold power amp from.

He had to finish 2 of those things and could not get the stuff to work.
We resolved that issue, designed the next gen of that player, and I was left with lots of parts that I threw together for the next gen player. Did some integration, were finished by the end of last week, and now I am building one for myself from those prototype parts and other stuff I had lying around. Got the appropriate case for that, and it will integrate just fine.
Just got a new low power CPU for it, too (25€ for a 4150T 35W ...) which means I am seriously downgrading from my PoC version which had an i5 8500 and a z370 ITX board.

The next version should be able to do 7.1 in high end with integrated DAC and digital optical / coax output plus video play back in high end quality. can't do it in a slim form factor, anymore, cuz I need those 2 slots to fit the special AV hw.

Anyway, the parts for the high end version are not cheap (Oh, we use only the finest baby frogs, dew-picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and sealed in a succulent, Swiss, quintuple-smooth, treble-milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose). And the results are very appealing.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63423 on: July 15, 2020, 09:27:03 pm »

Www.batteriesplus.co.UK. Painless transactions for some tagged sub-C NiCds.

I've used them before, a longish time ago.  Long enough ago that I can't remember if there was anything particularly good about using them, but not so long that I'd have forgotten if there was anything bad about them. So, that's a rather half-hearted recommendation for them; and it should be made clear that the half-heartedness is entirely down to caution about my half-memory not about the vendor.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63424 on: July 15, 2020, 09:33:08 pm »
Anyway, the parts for the high end version are not cheap (Oh, we use only the finest baby frogs, dew-picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and sealed in a succulent, Swiss, quintuple-smooth, treble-milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose). And the results are very appealing.

... that is then gently nestled into tissue paper, right next to the Spring Surprise.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf