Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15183088 times)

SingleBitError and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #72550 on: October 18, 2020, 10:45:57 pm »
Car Electronics is also Electronics, and about the t-shirt... we know what it is... but the wife thinks it are the nazca lines  :-DD

HOLY FUCKING ASSCRACKERS!!! A tony vid where he's actually USING his TE!!! :-DD

mnem
*passes out from the shock*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline LootMaster

• Regular Contributor

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72552 on: October 18, 2020, 11:30:32 pm »
Tonight on As the 3DP Churns...

mnem
On every 3d printer there should be a sign: "It'll fit next time"

In all honesty... I got most of my revision-ing done in the first few parts. Since then, it's been running pretty close to nonstop for days now. *knock on wood*

The nosepieces were the ball-buster; once I got to actually printing, I was still fighting layer adhesion issues. But those first three partial prints still allowed me to revise text location and resize the LED opening to allow for squish; I actually managed 3 revisions in one afternoon before the successful (but too short by 10mm) print in the back. I'm going to take the piss on that one and blame the preceding week of for me not noticing that it was too small in the Z axis until I had the actual part in my hand.  :palm:

That said... the nosepieces take ~7.5 hours each; so those 3 failed prints and one bonehead fail all in one afternoon actually saved me more than a day and ~$6 wasted filament.  :-// After that, the two on the right came out exactly how I wanted them.  :-+

Here you can see my progression in designing the tailpiece; the first version in back suffered some cosmetic bunge due to orientation, and it didn't actually muffle anything at all. But having it in hand DID give me the idea for what would become the final product; that channel on the bottom was originally added as an afterthought, but after chopping the ass off the piece in Fusion, what remained became an actual muffler that works.

The part on the left was the first version of the successful part; I did some cosmetic refinement (mostly reworking the fillets so they match the nosepieces and adding a tube for the LED mount) in the part on the right but the biggest improvement came from just reorienting the piece. I originally printed it foot down, figuring that would work better for the filament bridging necessary to make the slots in the muffler, and I was concerned that the support material might pull the slots apart. The bridging in the slots turned out a bit stringy, but the supports did behave. Most noticeably, the ceiling area inside the part had lots of nasty stringing, plus the finish pattern in the top is really obtrusive.

The part on the right is mostly just reoriented to print on the butt of the piece; this greatly improved the quality of the slots, making straight bridging and clean slats which are only a few lines wide with excellent layer adhesion. More importantly, the ceiling became a sidewall in the print, so no stringing... and the ugly pattern that was on the top gets nicely massaged away by the sandstone finish of the Build-Tak. Best of all, the new design and this orientation makes what was a 11.5 hour print now a 5.5 hour print.  :-+

So at this point... it's just a matter of making 6 copies of the two pieces, and doing the modding of the actual PSUs. Nice, boring fiddly-bits work.  ;D

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:43:30 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #72553 on: October 18, 2020, 11:43:34 pm »
Technical reason is license control but it’s quite handy as you can run your personal finance spreadsheet anywhere which is mostly what I use mine for. It’s good enough that I’m sitting on my laptop and the sheet is up on my desktop and I can see myself editing on the other machine.

Main thing is the value proposition. MS 365 family is damn cheap at £56 a year. That’s 6 users full desktop and mobile office and 1Tb OneDrive per person. Works on 5 devices per person.

Real reason is it'd cost me more than that a year pissing around trying to get something 100x as inferior working. And I'm getting tired of self-flaggelation when it comes to productivity.
License control isn't relevant as they are or were free apps. Optional sign-in to sync your documents is fine but requiring it before you can open a local Word document is just typical cloud nonsense. Microsoft is obviously very keen on inducting everyone into The Hive, and more conventional alternatives are intentionally made unattractive so they can technically claim no ones forcing you to commit. When the price becomes non-monetary things go to shit. I just want to pay and be left alone.

Don't start about productivity. This level of integration and supposed "it just works" means M365 can and does break in many new and creative ways which weren't a problem before.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #72555 on: October 19, 2020, 12:10:32 am »
Just wondering what a room might actually look like when properly white-balanced.

Not being on site makes it kinda hard.  Nowhere near perfect, but I think this is close....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, syau, tonyalbus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #72556 on: October 19, 2020, 12:12:38 am »
Wait, the white balance in med's pics is that fucked up???  :o

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #72557 on: October 19, 2020, 12:14:43 am »
There's a few of us who suspect as much  ... though Papa Smurf will no doubt vehemently deny it.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, 0culus

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #72558 on: October 19, 2020, 12:17:28 am »
Sorry Med ... I promise I will stop now.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72559 on: October 19, 2020, 12:28:56 am »
All done and everything tested and working. Bench 1 will be the last area to be done when I muster the courage.  :-DD   

I'll pray for you; looks like Master-Level TETRIS when workday does roll around to that corner.  :scared:

I had a '55 Nomad came in that color... I painted it satin black.

mnem
 ;)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72560 on: October 19, 2020, 12:44:02 am »

Based on previous form: Liar!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline LootMaster

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72561 on: October 19, 2020, 12:51:01 am »
Notice the ashtray on both sides of the scope spot?

Theres also a coffee holder on both sides, with dedicated spill proof and stainless steel mugs. Blue for me, Pink for the other guy.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:55:25 am by LootMaster »

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #72562 on: October 19, 2020, 01:10:05 am »
And large electricity bill  :-DD

Forgot to mention. I have SINNED hard. I bought a non-RPN calculator. A TI-85. Forgive me.

damnation PUSH
eternal PUSH
POP
POP
()()()()() :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72563 on: October 19, 2020, 01:18:34 am »
I did some shopping at one of the local hock shops on my way to work for the first of a run of evening shifts and fed the addiction:      HeathKit IT - 3121 semiconductor curve tracer...   

https://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/heath/schematics/heathkit_schema_it3121.pdf

mnem
 :popcorn:

Thanks!  I found a chunk of the manual on another site but it didn't have the diagram.  I haven't tried out the IT-3121 yet.  It's going to have to wait for the weekend and I'll roll that into the Tektronix 7000 series plugin evaluation thing I need get back to.  However, I have been having fun with the power analyzer.  This morning, I looped the coffee maker and the toaster oven through it and it was fun watching them go through their cycles.  The coffee maker standby and idle currents have a surprisingly bad power factor.  I'm pretty confident the power analyzer's working fine which is good since it was final sale.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72564 on: October 19, 2020, 01:21:44 am »

Forgot to mention. I have SINNED hard. I bought a non-RPN calculator. A TI-85. Forgive me.

why do you taunt me?

as swmbo taught me to say .......   "pull the other one."

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72565 on: October 19, 2020, 01:56:04 am »
Just wondering what a room might actually look like when properly white-balanced.

Not being on site makes it kinda hard.  Nowhere near perfect, but I think this is close....

Cute.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #72566 on: October 19, 2020, 01:57:29 am »

Based on previous form: Liar!

::)

I promise I will try....   at least on the topic of his wall colour.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #72567 on: October 19, 2020, 01:58:43 am »
At least Med appreciated the effort.   ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72568 on: October 19, 2020, 02:04:36 am »

And at least you recognize that the curtains are brown......not pink.  |O ;D

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72569 on: October 19, 2020, 02:21:28 am »
A ground lead would not make any difference with the 1422-D capacitor, there is nothing to connect it to. One side of the capacitor is connected to the case (the third terminal is for athe 115pF range) which is driven at 4kHz with the meter I'm using.
When I get round to setting my small lathe up I'll male a better one.
What is the interior diameter of the copper sleeve? I'm asking because I wonder whether 4/13 would fit. Those are shielded banana plugs with a 13mm (I.D.) shield and BNC adaptors of that type are fairly common over here.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72570 on: October 19, 2020, 02:28:53 am »
I did some shopping at one of the local hock shops on my way to work for the first of a run of evening shifts and fed the addiction:      HeathKit IT - 3121 semiconductor curve tracer...   

https://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/heath/schematics/heathkit_schema_it3121.pdf

mnem
 :popcorn:

Thanks!  I found a chunk of the manual on another site but it didn't have the diagram.  I haven't tried out the IT-3121 yet.  It's going to have to wait for the weekend and I'll roll that into the Tektronix 7000 series plugin evaluation thing I need get back to.  However, I have been having fun with the power analyzer.  This morning, I looped the coffee maker and the toaster oven through it and it was fun watching them go through their cycles.  The coffee maker standby and idle currents have a surprisingly bad power factor.  I'm pretty confident the power analyzer's working fine which is good since it was final sale.

I may have to mug you for that HeathKit. 

mnem
>:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72571 on: October 19, 2020, 02:36:40 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/pre-emptive-capacitor-change-on-beloved-laptop/

may I have opinions.

Since you asked for an opinion I'll give you mine. You've been on the Blog less than 2 weeks, have under 40 posts, have pissed off a few folks, and are already on Simon's radar. I think a reassessment of your style is in order. Tone it down a bit because you're coming across as a jerk.  |O

So.....given that we always encourage additional participants to our band of lunatics. Prove me wrong in my first impression. Ball in your court.   
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:42:30 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72572 on: October 19, 2020, 02:37:14 am »

why do you taunt me?

My mother taught me: "If at first you don't succeed, suck something else!" :o

mnem
mom had no truck with repression.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #72573 on: October 19, 2020, 02:42:13 am »

why do you taunt me?

My mother taught me: "If at first you don't succeed, suck something else!" :o

mnem
mom had no truck with repression.

If at first you don't fricasee...fry, fry the hen!  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72574 on: October 19, 2020, 02:44:00 am »

And at least you recognize that the curtains are brown......not pink.  |O ;D

Hey, you posted the picture with pink curtains, don't go blaming everybody else!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf