Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14933488 times)

rvalente, Vince, opabob and 213 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #80425 on: January 22, 2021, 10:13:02 pm »
Does anybody see something useful in this collection of TE, I thinking of visiting the gentleman:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/elektronik-bauteile-kabel-messgeraete-oszilloskope/1639707846-168-8262

Cheers,
DC1MC

EDIT: Some pictures

In the first picture in the listing I see a Tektronix 106 Square Wave generator and an HP 6515A 0-1600V power supply; can't discern what the 2 poer supplies below it in the stack are.  There are also a couple of GenRad decade boxes.

More HP power supplies and signal generators in the second pic - the top right being a 3314A function generator.

A bunch more power supplies in the third - HP and Power Designs; all are well regarded.

In the 8th pic, it looks like an LCR meter (HP 4274 or 4275) at the left on the bottom shelf, can't place the one next to it; perhaps some kind of signal generator.  Next to that is an HP 8640 signal generator.

A bunch of Kepco power supplies in the 14th image, and a Tek constant amplitude sine wave generator at bottom left.

I see a LOT of useful things there.

-Pat

Down at the bottom of the second picture, there is also a Fluke DMM; not quite a 8060A, but looks similar.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #80426 on: January 22, 2021, 10:15:52 pm »
Mine fell to bits like all Timex watches do. First the plastic ring fell off and then the strap dissolved. Haven’t worn a watch since then until recently.

Ditto. Used to wear ironMan exclusively; they were the only sanely-priced watch that could stand up to rough & tumble motorhead dwagon boi. Dropped them like a shit biscuit when they became a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Chinese factory that used to produce for them and the mineral glass went away in favor of easily-scratched plastic. :palm:

Moved to Casio's Mountain-fucker product line for a while... until they got steroid-abuse and grew like a hockey puck strapped to your wrist.  ::) Then I started wearing the Databanks and when I grew up, moved to Fossil's BLUE Stainless Steel diver's watch... still have a few of those in the bottom of the back drawer; but they went bye-bye in favor of my Misfit Shine body-erg-counter. Have had aboot a dozen of those now; not interested in any of their later offerings whatsoever, aside from the Command my wife got me a few years ago, which is still a marvel of personal robotics, IMO.

mnem
*which-it watchett*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #80427 on: January 22, 2021, 10:23:13 pm »
Mine fell to bits like all timex watches do. First the plastic ring fell off and then the strap dissolved.

Haven’t worn a watch since then until recently.

I used to wear a lot of Timex watches; Ironman models for this wanna-be-ironman (didn't do any longer than olympic distance though).
Standard practice was to replace the strap after a couple of months (pre-emptively before the original dissolved) with a nylon & velcro strap.
The nice thing was you could actually wear them in water.

Switched to Polar when Timex went all cheap.  The Polar was good for about five years, then I have not worn a watch since.
The cell phone tells me the time now; along with way too much other stuff that I would rather avoid  :scared:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80428 on: January 22, 2021, 10:28:24 pm »
Yup. smartPwn is the ultimate pocketwatch.  :o

mnem
For good or evil...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80429 on: January 22, 2021, 10:30:22 pm »
Oh, and it looks like a pair of Tek TM-500 series current probes next to the Keithleys in photo 10, along with some HP amplifiers on the left and function generators on the bottom right under the Tek 1A5 plug in.

-Pat

Too bad, I just convinced the better half to make a trip there and the good man took the listing down, probably someone gave him an offer he can't refuse,  |O

That's a bummer.   :'(

-Pat

Awww... schazzbott! I was thinking the answer really was more like "What in there isn't useful..." ;)

But... odds are someone bought the lot, and we'll start seein' it all in dribs & drabs over the next few weeks/months...   :P

mnem
*toddles off to do somethin'... even if it's wrong*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80430 on: January 22, 2021, 10:38:30 pm »

mnem
For good or evil...

Extrapolating that, I got given a basic fruit watch by work. This was their attempt to suggest we should use it to get fit and healthy rather than sit down all day developing DVT which working on their shit. At least they pretend they care. Seems to be a reasonable stick to beat yourself with so far and tells you to get off your fat arse and go for a piss or a walk around occasionally. Walked about 100km this month so far. I’m wondering how long it takes for me to break it.

I have of course installed an RPN calculator app on it  8)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80431 on: January 22, 2021, 11:00:57 pm »
Oh, and it looks like a pair of Tek TM-500 series current probes next to the Keithleys in photo 10, along with some HP amplifiers on the left and function generators on the bottom right under the Tek 1A5 plug in.

-Pat

Too bad, I just convinced the better half to make a trip there and the good man took the listing down, probably someone gave him an offer he can't refuse,  |O

-Pat

Awww... schazzbott! I was thinking the answer really was more like "What in there isn't useful..." ;)

But... odds are someone bought the lot, and we'll start seein' it all in dribs & drabs over the next few weeks/months...   :P

mnem

I hope one of the members here took them, like Mr. IceTea and his truck ;), too bad I wanted that Boonies mV-merter.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #80432 on: January 23, 2021, 12:38:25 am »

mnem
For good or evil...

Extrapolating that, I got given a basic fruit watch by work.

<snip>

I've looked at the fruit-watch concept, and concluded that -- to me -- battery intervals less than 1 year are unacceptable, or at least very impractical.

My daily driver, presently, is a rather old Citizen Navihawk, given to me by my father. I've had it serviced and I'm quite happy with it.

I also have a Seiko SKX007 (automatic, diver's) on a NATO strap. It is in need of a new movement, I'm afraid. If my supply of round tuits gets enough of a refill, it'll get a visit to the watchmaker and goes back to being my 24/7 companion, with the Navihawk getting demoted to travel watch (it displays UTC and one or two other time zones simultaneously).  The Seiko has enough glow-in-the-dark material that it actually works. And I can read it without glasses.

My wife got me a dress watch, a Holzkern made from wood, which I'm wearing on special occasions.

I have of course installed an RPN calculator app on it  8)

I can say, from personal experience, that the DM42 beats every app.  >:D (my phones and computers all have RPN calcs installed, of course.) I must confess to being raised on algebraic calculators, and being a math illiterate, RPN is both confusing and unfamiliar, but I'm getting good results, and forcing myself to do more calculations with it.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80433 on: January 23, 2021, 01:16:42 am »
We call it "Gartenhäusle".

My poor grasp of German coming to the fore here. Is that "-le" a diminutive ending, like "-let" would be in English? So an English semi-translation would be 'Garden-Houselet', a 'little' house in the garden, yes? I've not (consciously) seen "-le" as a diminutive before, although I'd recognise "-chen", as in Kännchen (little pot) and Kätzchen (little cat, kitten) as a diminutive.

Yes, it is a diminutive.

Haus - Häuschen (High German) - Häusle (Swabian German) - Hüüsli (Swiss German)

Gartenhäuschen - Gartenhäusle - a little house or a shed in the garden
Also Säule = small female pig (diminutive of 'Sau')

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80434 on: January 23, 2021, 01:51:11 am »

My poor grasp of German coming to the fore here. Is that "-le" a diminutive ending, like "-let" would be in English? So an English semi-translation would be 'Garden-Houselet', a 'little' house in the garden, yes? I've not (consciously) seen "-le" as a diminutive before, although I'd recognise "-chen", as in Kännchen (little pot) and Kätzchen (little cat, kitten) as a diminutive.

Yes, it is a diminutive.

Also Säule = small female pig (diminutive of 'Sau')

Yes.
And a "ein um Hilfe rufendes kleines Schwein" is a "Notrufsäule"     :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, mansaxel

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80435 on: January 23, 2021, 02:01:08 am »
I also have a Seiko SKX007 (automatic, diver's) on a NATO strap. It is in need of a new movement, I'm afraid. If my supply of round tuits gets enough of a refill, it'll get a visit to the watchmaker and goes back to being my 24/7 companion, with the Navihawk getting demoted to travel watch (it displays UTC and one or two other time zones simultaneously).  The Seiko has enough glow-in-the-dark material that it actually works. And I can read it without glasses.

I've got a Seiko with a 7T62 movement, don't remember the overall watch model number, but it's got a titanium case and strap and a decent, but not sapphire, crystal face. Incredibly tough as I'm not gentle with it, I've had it 15-20 years, and it still looks almost as good as new. It gets worn whenever I go out and lives in a bowl with my keys and loose change when I'm in the house. It was picked up from Argos as 'end of line' stock for around £60 with a previous retail price closer to £300, so also satisfies the skinflint in me. I check it against my GPS disciplined NTP server a few times a year. I've never done the proper Allen Deviation that a proto-timenut ought to have done. However I have kept a rough mental track of how it performs and over the time I've had it it gains a very consistent ~20 seconds a year, which is 0.6 ppm, which I think is pretty amazing for a quartz wristwatch.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80436 on: January 23, 2021, 03:06:20 am »

Yes, it is a diminutive.

Ahh, High German, so I've been hanging around with posh Germans eh?  What do you call the dialect that you learn down the docks? That's probably more fitting for me to adopt.  :)

I thought "high" Germans sounded like this:-

Mann, das ist gute Scheiße! ;D

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #80437 on: January 23, 2021, 03:35:31 am »
I've looked at the fruit-watch concept, and concluded that -- to me -- battery intervals less than 1 year are unacceptable, or at least very impractical.

My daily driver, presently, is a rather old Citizen Navihawk, given to me by my father. I've had it serviced and I'm quite happy with it.

My wife got me a dress watch, a Holzkern made from wood, which I'm wearing on special occasions.

I started down the automatic watch rabbit hole a few years ago and now have several Seikos and Orients.  The blue 'Save the Ocean' turtle was the gateway drug (that dial is stunning in the sunlight), and the orange 'Nemo' turtle is the one I've been wearing a lot recently.

And you're right - the Seikos have great lume.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80438 on: January 23, 2021, 03:50:14 am »
Urrrggghh... biohazardous hockey pucks. Those are best enjoyed as I'm doing right now... from the other side of a computer screen. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #80439 on: January 23, 2021, 06:05:22 am »
I am with Rado and Xemex but I almost never wear a wristwatch.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #80440 on: January 23, 2021, 06:34:15 am »

-Pat

-Pat

mnem

I hope one of the members here took them, like Mr. IceTea and his truck ;), too bad I wanted that Boonies mV-merter.

Much to my dismay: wasn't me.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #80441 on: January 23, 2021, 07:57:05 am »

And a "ein um Hilfe rufendes kleines Schwein" is a "Notrufsäule"     :-DD

I had to picture-google that, to confirm my suspicion. Jawohl, 'ne echte Flachwitzle!

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #80442 on: January 23, 2021, 08:04:43 am »
Urrrggghh... biohazardous hockey pucks. Those are best enjoyed as I'm doing right now... from the other side of a computer screen. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

Pray tell, because I'm actually curious, which part of the watch wearing life cycle is the most pressing biohazard?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #80443 on: January 23, 2021, 08:07:48 am »
Personal hazard if you keep beehives as the hot bum little buggers don't like sweaty watch straps....but you only make that mistake once !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80444 on: January 23, 2021, 08:34:04 am »
Heyho colleagues in the UK,

anybody willing to grab that active keysight probe for me and send it over to Germany ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keysight-N2795A-1GHz-Active-Probe-Excellent-Condition/383909749386

(yes, I actually WANT it)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:36:30 am by Saskia »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #80445 on: January 23, 2021, 09:10:40 am »

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

Pray tell, because I'm actually curious, which part of the watch wearing life cycle is the most pressing biohazard?

Any band be it ring or watch is always a drag in hazard to anyone who plays with rotating mechanical devices, Metallic bands and Electrical are an obvious nono.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #80446 on: January 23, 2021, 09:25:19 am »
Does anybody see something useful in this collection of TE, I thinking of visiting the gentleman:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/elektronik-bauteile-kabel-messgeraete-oszilloskope/1639707846-168-8262

Cheers,
DC1MC

Too bad, it's all gone. Only rather non-interesting stuff at rather high prices left ...
Sorry you didn't get anything, it would have been a 120km trip from my place so I might have joined you.

Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80447 on: January 23, 2021, 09:30:39 am »

mnem
For good or evil...

Until the battery goes.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80448 on: January 23, 2021, 09:47:06 am »
I was never much for wearing a watch. I have one or two sitting in a drawer with dead batteries that were given a gifts. Don't even know what brand they are but they certainly ain't Seiko or Rolex. And as soon as I started carrying a cell...either dumb or smart....it just made wearing a watch completely redundant.

And under the category of you can never figure out the female species. She's been busting my stones about making these trips to pick up TE during a weekday when she's not here. My response was simple....didn't think you'd be interested in being stuck in the car for 3 hours or so.
Her response: "Oh, so being together while we make a road trip is not interesting? After all, with this covid stuff we really can't do much else other than sit home". Somehow they always gotcha no matter what you do. Never try to out think them. It's a losing battle.

So I guess from now on I'll have a navigator with me.  :o :-DD   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80449 on: January 23, 2021, 09:48:54 am »
that's an argument impossible for a male to win.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, capt bullshot

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf