Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14938874 times)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #80450 on: January 23, 2021, 09:49:22 am »
I was never much for wearing a watch. I have one or two sitting in a drawer with dead batteries that were given a gifts. Don't even know what brand they are but they certainly ain't Seiko or Rolex. And as soon as I started carrying a cell...either dumb or smart....it just made wearing a watch completely redundant.

And under the category of you can never figure out the female species. She's been busting my stones about making these trips to pick up TE during a weekday when she's not here. My response was simple....didn't think you'd be interested in being stuck in the car for 3 hours or so.
Her response: "Oh, so being together while we make a road trip is not interesting? After all, with this covid stuff we really can't do much else other than sit home". Somehow they always gotcha no matter what you do. Never try to out think them. It's a losing battle.

So I guess from now on I'll have a navigator with me.  :o :-DD

Better that than a nagivator.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80451 on: January 23, 2021, 09:52:34 am »
that's an argument impossible for a male to win.

Funny, after she completely trashed my reasons for not taking her she said the same thing. It's a conspiracy.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #80452 on: January 23, 2021, 09:55:12 am »
Mike, you must know the rules by now...

1. The female always makes the rules.

2. The rules are subject to change by the female at any time without prior
notification.

3. No male can possibly know all the rules. Attempts to document the rules
are not permitted.

4. If the female suspects that the male may know some or all of the rules,
she must immediately change one or more of the rules.

5. The female is never wrong.

6. If the female is wrong, it is because of an egregarious misunderstanding
which was the direct result of something the male did, said, did not do,
or did not say.

7. If rule 6 is invoked, the male must apologize immediately for having
been the cause of the misunderstanding without any clues from the female
as to what he did to have caused the misunderstanding. See rule 13.

8. The female may change her mind at any time for any reason or no reason
at all.

9. The male is never permitted to change his mind or under circumstances
without the express written consent of the female which is given only in
cases where the female wanted him to change his mind but gave no
indication of that wish. See rules 6, 7, 12, and 13.

10. The female has the right to be angry or upset for any reason, real or
imagined, at any time and under any circumstance which in her sole
judgement she deems appropriate. The male is not to be given any sign of
the root cause of the female's being angry or pset. The female may,
however, give false or misleading reasons to see if the male is paying
attention. See rule 13.

11. The male must remain calm at all times, unless the female wants him to
be angry or upset.

12. Under no circumstances may the female give the male any clue or
indication whether or why she wants him to be angry or upset.

13. The male is expected to read the mind of the female at all times.
Failure to do so will result in punishments and penalties imposed at the
sole discretion of the female.

14. The female may, at any time and for any reason, resurrect any past
incident without regard to temporal or spacial distance, and modify,
enlarge, embellish, of wholly reconstruct it in order to demonstrate to
the male that he is now or has in the past been wrong, insensitive,
pig-headed, dense, deceitful, and/or oafish.

15. The female may use her interpretation of any past occurrence to
illustrate the ways in which the male has failed to accord her the
consideration, respect, devotion, or material possessions, he has
bestowed on other females, domestic pets or barnyard animals, sports
teams, automobiles, motorcycles, boats, aircraft, or coworkers. Such
illustrations are non-rebuttable.

16. If the female is experiencing PMS, Post-PMS, or Pre-PMS, the female is
permitted to exhibit any manner of behaviors she wishes without regard to
logical consistency or accepted norms of human behavior.

17. Any act, deed, word, expression, statement, utterance, thought,
opinion, or belief by the male is subject to the sole, subjective
interpretation of the female, other external factors not-withstanding.
Alibis, excuses, explanations, defenses, reasons, extenuations, or
rationalizations will not be entertained. Abject please for mercy
and forgiveness are acceptable under some circumstances,
especially when accompanied by tangible evidence of contrition.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, med6753, mnementh, capt bullshot, Saskia

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80453 on: January 23, 2021, 09:57:33 am »
I designed the dial for a Timex Expedition back in 1997 still have a couple, on NIB that was my licence payment (I still have the copyright).
My daily wear watch for the last 20 odd years is a Breitling Aerospace with leather strap. This was bought before they became a fasion watch and it's the smaller thin case not the huge ugly things the later ones became.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:37:52 am by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80454 on: January 23, 2021, 10:15:00 am »

Pat, of course I know the rules. But they always seem to have a surprise up their skirt.  :-DD

To wit.....you can never anticipate all....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80455 on: January 23, 2021, 10:15:39 am »
Heyho colleagues in the UK,

anybody willing to grab that active keysight probe for me and send it over to Germany ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keysight-N2795A-1GHz-Active-Probe-Excellent-Condition/383909749386

(yes, I actually WANT it)

I'd be happy to receive and post it on, but the listing looks a bit dodgy to me. Low feedback, no TE sold, nothing sold in last year  and description seems odd.

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80456 on: January 23, 2021, 10:23:20 am »
Yup. smartPwn is the ultimate pocketwatch.  :o

mnem
For good or evil...

Until the battery goes.

Perhaps surprisingly I’ve not run out of battery on the phone (or watch). Get two days out of each quite happily and charging them isn’t much of a bother. When I sit down and do my admin and finances crap daily I just pop them on at the desk for a bit. I’m on day two on my phone at the moment and it’s at 39% still.

I have to say that the Casio F91W is probably the best watch out there though. It keeps time well enough, it’s waterproof, battery lasts as long as the watch does, alarm actually works, it’s cheap and fairly difficult to nuke. I think they did such a good job of that watch that you can’t really beat it without making something lurid or conspicuous and I’m not into that stuff.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #80457 on: January 23, 2021, 10:25:07 am »
Urrrggghh... biohazardous hockey pucks. Those are best enjoyed as I'm doing right now... from the other side of a computer screen. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

Pray tell, because I'm actually curious, which part of the watch wearing life cycle is the most pressing biohazard?

Any band be it ring or watch is always a drag in hazard to anyone who plays with rotating mechanical devices, Metallic bands and Electrical are an obvious nono.

I'm well aware of these issues; watches and some work (kitchen, electrical, mechanical, medical) is an obvious no-no (and beekeeping, according to Tautech).

My reasoning is that I want something that is a detached-from-computing situational awareness device, and the analog-face watch is just enough of context for that.  My wedding band is suspended from a piece of string around my neck except for formal dress occasions (when I'm wearing a tie or bowtie, basically)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80458 on: January 23, 2021, 10:31:10 am »
Hand the current generation an analog clock and ask them to tell you what time it is. It's amazing that many of them can't.

Want real hilarity: give them a rotary phone and ask then to dial a number including the area code.  :P :-DD 

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #80459 on: January 23, 2021, 10:35:52 am »
A bargain at £1000 (or offer!)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-TELEQUIPMENT-OSCILLOSCOPE-MARCONI-COMPUTERS/193860357939

Scope, scrotty multimeters, scrotty siggen, 100MHz counter.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80460 on: January 23, 2021, 10:42:59 am »
So today I started looking at repairing the Racal Dana 9917A that I recently bought (€20 - Non working). The instrument is just displaying all zeros and doesn't respond to any input signals. After checking the voltage rails and the OCXO (all good), I took the lazymans method and checked the board with the thermal camera. There's 2x 74LS196 (four stage ripple counters) running at a toasty 45 to 50°C. This seems a tad high for a part that according to the datasheet pulls less than 100mW. The second suspect is Q18, a ZTX550 transistor that creates V-ref for the ASIC. It's running at over 50°C but suprisingly is still producing the correct voltages. Unfotunately this could point to the ASIC having issues, which is game over for these devices. I'll swap all three components out, but I fear this is an ex-counter.

Any suggestions welcome.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #80461 on: January 23, 2021, 10:46:18 am »
Hand the current generation an analog clock and ask them to tell you what time it is. It's amazing that many of them can't.

Want real hilarity: give them a rotary phone and ask then to dial a number including the area code.  :P :-DD

My children know how to do both. Analog face watch reading is taught in school, and I've taken care of the phones part. One of my extensions from the PABX at home has a Grandstream ATA box that not only will do pulse dialling, it is configurable for that spiritual equivalent of RPN calculators, the Swedish rotary dial system, in which 0 is the first digit.  I've got a button-equipped pulse-dialling phone at the bench, a rotary in the garage, and an external connection box for field telephones if I so desire.

Any year now, I'm going to finish my 1PPS->1PPminute central watch drive system and then there's going to be analog faces in more places at home; I've got two rather large display units waiting to get used.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80462 on: January 23, 2021, 10:51:48 am »
So today I started looking at repairing the Racal Dana 9917A that I recently bought (€20 - Non working). The instrument is just displaying all zeros and doesn't respond to any input signals. After checking the voltage rails and the OCXO (all good), I took the lazymans method and checked the board with the thermal camera. There's 2x 74LS196 (four stage ripple counters) running at a toasty 45 to 50°C. This seems a tad high for a part that according to the datasheet pulls less than 100mW. The second suspect is Q18, a ZTX550 transistor that creates V-ref for the ASIC. It's running at over 50°C but suprisingly is still producing the correct voltages. Unfotunately this could point to the ASIC having issues, which is game over for these devices. I'll swap all three components out, but I fear this is an ex-counter.

Any suggestions welcome.

McBryce.

Service manual here but will have to sign up and download: http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=5588

On this series of counters the 5MHz reference output is multiplied up to 10MHz to drive the ASIC. Probe around and see if 10MHz is appearing on any pins. You can also check this if it has a 1Mhz output on the back which is also derived from the ASIC. That should divide the problem between it being an issue with the Input conditioning, the reference circuit or the ASIC. If it doesn’t do anything in “test” mode then I’d suspect the reference multiplier or ASIC is duff.

50 degrees isn’t that hot. They do run warm.

I did some mods on an older 9915 to get a reference working. Probably same circuit still. The didn’t change a lot! https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/repairing-off-frequency-racal-9442-ocxo/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:53:32 am by bd139 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80463 on: January 23, 2021, 10:54:55 am »
A bargain at £1000 (or offer!)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-TELEQUIPMENT-OSCILLOSCOPE-MARCONI-COMPUTERS/193860357939

Scope, scrotty multimeters, scrotty siggen, 100MHz counter.

My offer for £1 was rejected  :-DD

As I was writing the above post about Racal counters, something clicked inside me and I’ve got itchy test gear fingers. Off to eBay...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:02:24 am by bd139 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80464 on: January 23, 2021, 11:01:09 am »
My everyday wristwatch (since 12 years now) is a Traser H3 BD PRO Blue:

I do really like it when I'm waking up in the middle of the night and want to know which time is it.
 Very good readable in the dark and no match to the usual phosphorescent markings.

Mine has also the blackened stainless steel bracelet.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #80465 on: January 23, 2021, 11:06:05 am »

Just ask them why they dial a number :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #80466 on: January 23, 2021, 11:28:13 am »

Pat, of course I know the rules. But they always seem to have a surprise up their skirt.  :-DD

To wit.....you can never anticipate all....

Isn't that just volume one?  (Of an unknown number)

-Pat

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #80467 on: January 23, 2021, 11:30:37 am »
I managed to bolt together the last of the Studer mixer (even though I've got a few modules to recap, and "some" (as in quite a few) switches to replace.  I also took the opportunity to repair a potentiometer knob that had gotten beat up in my very infrequent touring. Elfa Distrelec stocks the right Elma part, even if they did not have all the cap colours I need.

Once the desk was together and operating reasonably well, I could assess the microphone, and more importantly, determine whether my job of swapping a 3-pin Diodenstecker for a XLR connector was correct.  I am happy to report that the microphone sounds as good as can be expected; it is hum free (which means that it is likely to be 200Ω or so source Z and I got the balanced connection right) and there is lots of level and punch.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80468 on: January 23, 2021, 11:36:51 am »

Any suggestions welcome.

McBryce.

Service manual here but will have to sign up and download: http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=5588

On this series of counters the 5MHz reference output is multiplied up to 10MHz to drive the ASIC. Probe around and see if 10MHz is appearing on any pins. You can also check this if it has a 1Mhz output on the back which is also derived from the ASIC. That should divide the problem between it being an issue with the Input conditioning, the reference circuit or the ASIC. If it doesn’t do anything in “test” mode then I’d suspect the reference multiplier or ASIC is duff.

I did some mods on an older 9915 to get a reference working. Probably same circuit still. The didn’t change a lot! https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/repairing-off-frequency-racal-9442-ocxo/

The 10MHz is present on pin 5 (input) of the ASIC, as is the 10kHz output on Pin 7 of the ASIC. I've decided that it's probably not a signal conditioning issue as the issue occurs on all channels and they all have seperate conditioning circuits. The Check function turns on the MHz LED as if it's made a measurement, but the display remains all zeros.

I have the schematics already, but thanks for the link.

McBryce.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80469 on: January 23, 2021, 11:47:07 am »

Any suggestions welcome.

McBryce.

Free here: http://ftb.ko4bb.com/manuals/24.132.203.74/Racal_Dana_9917_Frequency_counter_Service_Manual.pdf
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80470 on: January 23, 2021, 12:21:01 pm »

Any suggestions welcome.

McBryce.

PM me with your email address and I'll email the service manual to you, I have it here, its about 5Mb long.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: McBryce

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80471 on: January 23, 2021, 12:44:16 pm »
Well as it happens I'm a bit of watch collector and most of my collect consists of Accurist watches and more recently I have started to collect Citizen watches but only the ones with Eco-Drive and Atomic time keeping, apart from the first Citizen watch I ever got which was a present from SWMBO. I also still have the very first watch that I purchased at the age of 16, that is a Sekonda Automatic with 29 Jewels and that watch is now looking a bit worse for wear as the gold plating has almost been worn away and as you can see from the photo below, it is still going well and have never had a problem with it in 55 years other, the bracelet no longer fits me.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80472 on: January 23, 2021, 12:49:26 pm »
I've collected Breitling* automatic watches for years. I never leave the house without a watch. They're not for telling the time, they are jewellery. I also have a working Bulova Accutron Spaceview, just because it was the first watch with electronics inside :)

McBryce.

* If you think you need to hide the prices of your TEA acquisitions from SWMBO, try collecting watches!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80473 on: January 23, 2021, 12:53:26 pm »
Some cheap tzzzzzttt:
Baby scope doo doo do do do do:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-214-storage-oscilloscope-portable-old-plug-untested/174600325097

It will probably go for silly money like those kit ones that were local to me.
It also has the strangest looking "old tipe three pin plug" I've ever seen, as the seller states.  :-DD

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80474 on: January 23, 2021, 12:55:16 pm »
I've collected Breitling* automatic watches for years. I never leave the house without a watch. They're not for telling the time, they are jewellery. I also have a working Bulova Accutron Spaceview, just because it was the first watch with electronics inside :)

McBryce.

* If you think you need to hide the prices of your TEA acquisitions from SWMBO, try collecting watches!

Hell you aren't kidding, none of mine are as expensive as yours, the most expensive one I have, was about £800 and I kept it out of sight for years before she saw it and as I hadn't had any parcels delivered at the time for ages, told her it was an old one that I had for years.  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf