Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14957857 times)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #90375 on: May 09, 2021, 11:59:23 pm »
I'm not even going to attempt to catch up on this thread, but thought I'd drop in to say howdy.

I resemble that remark. :-DD

Good to see you, Oculus! Sounds like you've been having lots of Tek fun.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90376 on: May 10, 2021, 12:10:03 am »
I'm seeking opinions please. I'm looking at replacing my SSHD drive in my EliteBook with a proper SSD, and I'm thinking about this one Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-76E500B-EU-Solid-State/dp/B078WQT6S6/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=SSD+500GB&qid=1620478878&sr=8-4

Its the only that comes with a 5-year warranty on it, the others are 3 year and some don't state what they are. Anyone ever had to call on a warranty claim with Samsung before? If so, how was that experience?

We’ve got over a hundred of these drives and later ones in laptops and desktops. I’ve used them for about ten years. Never had to do a warranty claim - they are absolutely rock solid.

I like Samsung SSD, too. I have a 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe and an 860 EVO 500 GB SATA in my laptop. I recently put an 860 EVO 1TB in a friend's laptop.

No experience with Samsung warranty claims (knock on wood).

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90377 on: May 10, 2021, 01:00:42 am »
TEA archive script running again. I've added ability to start from a page offset this time so if it craps itself I can restart it. Reading page 2106 now...

I was going to implement retry logic but as it goes down for 3 days at a time I think that is probably a wasted effort  :palm:

I'm continuing to update my copy as well. It'd be interesting, once it's all in a db, to be able to view it as actual discussion threads, since quoted posts link back to their original. The tricky bit is if someone refers to a post recently or immediately above theirs without quoting it.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90378 on: May 10, 2021, 01:08:00 am »
My truck wouldn’t turn over in the shopping mall parking lot the other day...

Yeah, my cars refuse to do tricks, too, no matter how vigorously I command them. :-DD

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Anyways, I went looking for a Simpson or Triplett VOM to permanently put in the truck’s toolkit and found this Triplett 630 with case and leads so it’s all self contained which is great locally and picked it up:

The idea there is to leave the VOM permanently in the truck and not have to worry about batteries, either the truck or in a DMM, in order to troubleshoot car problems and to have on hand for field use.  This should fit the bill perfectly.

Nice find! Not needing batteries for V and A measurements is definitely a plus for keeping in the car. :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #90379 on: May 10, 2021, 01:23:37 am »
I never thought I'd ever say this but I wish my 547 issues were tants.  |O :-DD
I had this thought pop into my mind (it is a lonely child😂)
'once a philosopher twice a pervert'  Voltaire.
I've done my one 500 series Tek😁

Seriously though - good hunting, Rob
PS Mine had a shorted low voltage psu cap and a blown tube rectifier.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #90380 on: May 10, 2021, 01:28:45 am »
TEA archive script running again. I've added ability to start from a page offset this time so if it craps itself I can restart it. Reading page 2106 now...

I was going to implement retry logic but as it goes down for 3 days at a time I think that is probably a wasted effort  :palm:

I'm continuing to update my copy as well. It'd be interesting, once it's all in a db, to be able to view it as actual discussion threads, since quoted posts link back to their original. The tricky bit is if someone refers to a post recently or immediately above theirs without quoting it.

Part of the benefit and also a problem with SMF is the linear discussion model. I used to hate nested quote styles of list servers for prolonged discussion as you had to filter out the quoted bits in your face to get to the new bit. Just to confuse it some more along with not quoting I also snip conversations and in particular pictures from quotes as having to stream past reposted pics is IMO bad practice/netiquette  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #90381 on: May 10, 2021, 01:33:50 am »

Yeah, my cars refuse to do tricks, too, no matter how vigorously I command them. :-DD

Anyways, I went looking for a Simpson or Triplett VOM to permanently put in the truck’s toolkit and found this Triplett 630 with case and leads so it’s all self contained which is great locally and picked it up:

The idea there is to leave the VOM permanently in the truck and not have to worry about batteries, either the truck or in a DMM, in order to troubleshoot car problems and to have on hand for field use.  This should fit the bill perfectly.

Nice find! Not needing batteries for V and A measurements is definitely a plus for keeping in the car. :-+

I kept one of these behind the seat in my truck for close to 20 years. I liked that it kept the leads and screen and all protected. I had a habit of keeping 9V & AA batteries in the glovebox tho; lots of gear that needed 'em. ;)

mnem
 :-DMM
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #90382 on: May 10, 2021, 02:54:10 am »
My truck wouldn’t turn over in the shopping mall parking lot the other day
[snip]
The batteries have been in it since 2008 so I need to change those out.

Wow!  So your truck is 13 years old (or more) and you have not changed an automotive battery for all that time .... unheard of in the Great White North!  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Oh!  You meant the battery in the DMM ...  ???

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90383 on: May 10, 2021, 04:21:42 am »
My truck wouldn’t turn over in the shopping mall parking lot the other day
[snip]
The batteries have been in it since 2008 so I need to change those out.

Wow!  So your truck is 13 years old (or more) and you have not changed an automotive battery for all that time .... unheard of in the Great White North!  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Oh!  You meant the battery in the DMM ...  ???

The truck's a 2009 but it still has the same battery in it that it came with when I got it so knows how old it is?  It's probably due for replacement too.  If it bails out again, I'll get CAA to put a new battery in.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90384 on: May 10, 2021, 04:41:23 am »
Completely off topic but for Saskia I offer a WiFi enabled alternate to C4 put a couple on the roof and ...... >:D

and https://youtu.be/e474W5k4HOQ?t=138
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, Saskia

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90385 on: May 10, 2021, 05:44:13 am »

Some people have the knack:-

https://signalscv.com/2017/10/pickup-truck-flips-restaurant-parking-lot/

Or perhaps:-

https://www.throttlextreme.com/auto-shop-worker-builds-road-legal-drivable-upside-pickup-truck/

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90386 on: May 10, 2021, 06:20:05 am »
Strange things are out there: a S.E.Labs scope relabeled as HAMEG and with a strange French plate on the rear explaining? the connection between those? WTF?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/393292067175?hash=item5b9208b167:g:DTYAAOSwoW1cjYS1

The plaque in French at the back simply says that Hameg (Germany) and SE labs (England)  partnered commercially to develop their business internationally.

So I guess that means there maybe exits somewhere a Hameg Scope wearing an SE Labs badge....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 06:27:14 am by Vince »

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #90387 on: May 10, 2021, 06:23:26 am »

Some people have the knack:-

https://signalscv.com/2017/10/pickup-truck-flips-restaurant-parking-lot/

Or perhaps:-

https://www.throttlextreme.com/auto-shop-worker-builds-road-legal-drivable-upside-pickup-truck/
Wasn't the slang name for the Toyota Hilux a 'roll-over'? 😁, who would've thunk that, high centre of gravity and narrow wheel base? D'oh.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90388 on: May 10, 2021, 06:37:53 am »

Going to avoid that. While it’s possible to parse that out it becomes difficult to rationalise unquoted replies I.e. the the immediate predecessor and posts with more than one quoted reply in it. Unfortunately the linear forum structure doesn’t do a lot to assist these sorts of things other than leave it a mess.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #90389 on: May 10, 2021, 08:08:27 am »

Part of the benefit and also a problem with SMF is the linear discussion model. I used to hate nested quote styles of list servers for prolonged discussion as you had to filter out the quoted bits in your face to get to the new bit. Just to confuse it some more along with not quoting I also snip conversations and in particular pictures from quotes as having to stream past reposted pics is IMO bad practice/netiquette  ;)

Without nested quotes[1] of indefinite depth it is simply impossible to have a long-term interesting discussion of subtle points.

Forums like stackexchange and edaboard are limited to boring "which button do I press to floggle the fluffer" questions.

However I agree with your point about repeated big pictures. it is certainly beneficial to tastefully snip irrelevant history and/or insert [ing width=300] to reduce the size.

[1] or a threaded interface found in decent email clients and usenet readers
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 08:11:28 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90390 on: May 10, 2021, 08:15:43 am »
Give me a 4chan interface any day  :-DD

Anyway TEA archiver run is complete. First full thread run.

First interesting statistic. There are 5198 fucks in there. Actually make that 5199 now  :-DD

Code: [Select]
% sqlite3 tea.db 'select * from post' | tr ' ' '\n' | grep fuck | wc -l

Dump: https://teaarchive.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/tea.db.gz

Working on attachments next...

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90391 on: May 10, 2021, 08:54:54 am »
Perfect low tech Car meter just turned up in Oz definitely no batteries needed  :) eBay auction: #154447371447

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #90392 on: May 10, 2021, 09:01:53 am »
Anyway TEA archiver run is complete. First full thread run.

First interesting statistic. There are 5198 fucks in there. Actually make that 5199 now  :-DD
Hmm, one every 17.382 posts.

Might be related to  :-BROKE instruments.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #90393 on: May 10, 2021, 09:08:06 am »
How much do you get for "RIFA"?  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, tautech, wolfy007, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90394 on: May 10, 2021, 09:55:01 am »

597  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90395 on: May 10, 2021, 09:59:42 am »
Or "Tants" I think that might be a better and fairer count of the F word  ;)

1 Don't really need it.
2 Don't have one.
3 Seems kind of sort of affordable.
4 Is Test Equipment.

Only one conclusion to be reached eBay auction: #274783384562 even after a little spirited last 10 seconds of bidding I still think it is a good toy for the collection >:D

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #90396 on: May 10, 2021, 10:07:29 am »

597  :-DD
Fuck is that all !
5199 +1  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #90397 on: May 10, 2021, 10:36:08 am »
Or "Tants" I think that might be a better and fairer count of the F word  ;)

1 Don't really need it.
2 Don't have one.
3 Seems kind of sort of affordable.
4 Is Test Equipment.

Only one conclusion to be reached eBay auction: #274783384562 even after a little spirited last 10 seconds of bidding I still think it is a good toy for the collection >:D

Schaeffner/RIFA inside. Expect it to go boom soon.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #90398 on: May 10, 2021, 10:44:54 am »
@bd139:

could you do a word count based on forum member name?
For example, how many words has the dwagon written here?   ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90399 on: May 10, 2021, 10:46:01 am »

Schaeffner/RIFA inside. Expect it to go boom soon.

Yep already have removal of the Little F'er planned before it outgasses ;) Apart from that really just a plaything new V'Ref is likely and see if it can be made a bit more stable  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf