Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14929319 times)

Wolfgang and 280 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #92800 on: June 24, 2021, 09:53:16 pm »
If that 2440 was working as claimed, then why the feck wouldn't they photograph it working???

That's one that's always puzzled me, too.  You claim it works; plug it in, turn it on and take a picture.  It would be a big positive towards getting a sale.  Of course the same skepticism causes me to doubt people who say "It'll work fine, you just need to replace the blown fuse."  Then why don't you put the $1.50 fuse in it and sell it as working for a lot more money than "non working, just needs new fuse"??  I was born at night, but it wasn't last night...

-Pat

That suggests you're buying your fuses from the wrong guy. Those kind of fuses (5 x 20mm, BS1364, etc) ought to be less than £0.20 (3A 5 x 20mm £0.062 GBP, say $0.10 CDN).

Well, it was a number I pulled out of memory based on fuses I've bought in the past for either my own purposes or for work.  And a quick search on 3AGs says it's in the ballpark from Mouser.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #92801 on: June 24, 2021, 09:58:34 pm »
Mom & Pop ISP we work closely with has a new project for me.  ::)
Please make a mount to affix it to a pole (done and shit easy) and assemble this vertical helix 200W 24V wind alternator......instructions are crap, real crap  |O and the B&W illustration show bugger all detail of how the 6 tiers of blades are actually fastened  :-// so went looking for assembly videos............
https://youtu.be/gBsDqGanGKA

8 yes 8 sequential videos how to assemble the forking thing where at a few stages it appears extra sets of hands are needed !  :wtf:
FML

:wtf: :wtf: :palm:
Tell me about it !   Trouble is our main 11 GHz data backhaul link is suffering if we have a run of bad weather or heavily overcast days and especially as the #'s of customers hanging off it grows and batteries are now struggling with the increased load despite there's a 3 full size solar panel array charging them so we need add some wind charging until we can reassign the backhaul load to other yet to be commissioned fiber links.
Such are the headaches of a small but successful wireless data provider.

A smaller adjacent relay installation crashed last week but an urgent installation of a 2nd solar panel fixed that after a few days of getting the batteries up to full charge again. Check out the charge rate !  :o

Good lord... that turbine design is like... made of fail. No way in hell you're ever going to get it anywhere close to balanced... seems to me it's gonna eat bearings like M&Ms.  :palm: Is that fustercluck supposed to be actual wind power, or more like some vaporware crap they make to sell fuckwit noobs when they get swept up in the whole "off the grid" craze...?  ::)

If you're drawing charge current like that to recover... what is your typical load current, and how much has it changed since the original design scope? Does it really vary that much with demand?  :o
Seems like a lot of charge certainly but it's still under C10.
Not my call on the turbine and certainly with the way it can blow where it's planned to be installed its robustness will be well tested.
When I first saw the thing and imagined how to assemble it (wrong !) balance issues were first to mind however with some care I believe I can make a reasonable job but how long that might take is the unknown.  :scared:
The 3ph alternator base seems well built and quite strong but we'll see.........

System load currents have certainly increased not only from customer growth (higher data throughput) but the addition of more HW (sector panels) and particularly the upgrade to the 11 GHz 1 GB/s AirFiber dish that requires a 48V 2A POE supply. Initial design was adequate as it met good battery DOD practice but now unless batteries are fully charged we exceed it so we are on a tightrope daily without getting to full charge state.
I have suggested restructuring network backhaul routing so to take some of the data and HW load away from this one installation but this can't be done right now like it would be preferable to do.  :(
So addition of the turbine is the temporary workaround.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #92802 on: June 24, 2021, 10:07:39 pm »
Thank you for that. 54520a added to watch list  8)

Same seller also has a 1.5GHz probe, but it is a bit expensive: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274825509075

I have three of them, so don't need more. They are my favourite probe - but I can't afford FET differential probes :)

Yes I saw that. However you can frig yourself one of them for a considerably lower number of notes. Probably won’t do 1.5GHz but not far off it.

Typically they will be OKish to 1GHz.

I only paid £40/for my third one :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #92803 on: June 24, 2021, 10:09:37 pm »
One of my saved sellers seems to have acquired a large SK lot, it's in the US unfortunately:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/the*treasure*trove*

mnem

Sorry, fixed the url now. I did say I was posting from my J6.

I've seen that seller before. I'm not going to say what it is, but I've had one of their items in my watch list that is incomplete for over 8 months, I did ask if they had the missing part, but they didn't and it's still at the same daft price, really they could do with adding offers if they want to sell it.  :--

Also just seen this item of incomplete junk from them, for the bargain price of $199.  |O |O
eBay auction: #304037076386
Makes you wonder if the other plug-ins on offer (that don't show the bottom view) are maybe in a similar condition.

David

Yeah I've had them as a saved seller for some time now, and they clearly are not a TE dealer, but someone that buys cheap job-lots of anything and sells them on piecemeal to turn their profit. Hence they know bugger all about the TE except what a (very) quick google search might show.

Well, it was a number I pulled out of memory based on fuses I've bought in the past for either my own purposes or for work.  And a quick search on 3AGs says it's in the ballpark from Mouser.

(Attachment Link)

-Pat

Giblets on fucking toast, I hope those prices are per box of ten! That's more than I pay for the ceramic M205's!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:11:45 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92804 on: June 24, 2021, 11:27:37 pm »
If that 2440 was working as claimed, then why the feck wouldn't they photograph it working???

That's one that's always puzzled me, too.  You claim it works; plug it in, turn it on and take a picture.  It would be a big positive towards getting a sale.  Of course the same skepticism causes me to doubt people who say "It'll work fine, you just need to replace the blown fuse."  Then why don't you put the $1.50 fuse in it and sell it as working for a lot more money than "non working, just needs new fuse"??  I was born at night, but it wasn't last night...

-Pat

That suggests you're buying your fuses from the wrong guy. Those kind of fuses (5 x 20mm, BS1364, etc) ought to be less than £0.20 (3A 5 x 20mm £0.062 GBP, say $0.10 CDN).

(Attachment Link)

-Pat

Definately getting them from the wrong man then. RS sell that first line item (3A 5x20mm F) at £1.38 for a pack of 10, roughly the same as Mouser are selling them for each. Pirce goes down to £0.062 each for 100 off.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #92805 on: June 24, 2021, 11:47:33 pm »
On The Bench Tonight: Milo T-217 "High-Frequency Machine"

This was another thrifting score from that LMFM Sale excursion; at a net cost of approx US$13, I really didn't care what it does, I just wanted that beefy aluminum enclosure. That, of course, doesn't preclude me from popping the cover to see what juicy bits lie inside. Lets see... looks like... what the hell...? A 255V autotransformer... (I suspect the 240V version doesn't have this) feeding what looks like a capacitive voltage multiplier, all "regulated" by a 600V SCR. And the output to a 5-pin DIN socket...?

:wtf: is this stupid waste of electrons supposed to do...?

A quick Gurrgle for the model number revealed the product page below from a online Beauty Supply house...

Warning: enough  :bullshit: to choke a monkey.

Quote from: nataliproducts.com Beauty Supply

Using high frequency electrical stimulation is a non-invasive and effective way to address many popular skin concerns making these treatments a favourite among skincare professionals. Make the smart decision, and buy spa equipment such as this High Frequency Unit T-217 from Natali Products today. Offer your clients one of the best skincare innovations in the industry. The high frequency device is simple to operate, and it’s gentle on skin. Plus it’s so versatile, you can use it on the face or even larger areas of the body.

Conveniently, it comes with 4 adapters:

Mushroom Adapter (Purple) – Suitable for large areas on the face and/or body
    Spoon Adapter (Orange) – Ideal for small areas on the face
    Pointed Adapter (Orange) – Great for impure skin
    Straight Adapter (Orange) – Perfect for indirect application (e.g. Viennese Massage)

The Science Behind the High Frequency Unit T-217

The High Frequency Unit T-217 generates high voltage of 10-100 kV with a frequency of approximately 400 kHz. And since the current of the generator is very low (10-15 mA), the unit is safe to use. The unit can also come in either a 110V or 220V depending on your needs. The voltage applied to the glass electrode is filled with Argon (Blue/Violet) or Neon (Pink/Orange) gas. Free electrons inside the gas start to move at a high speed, which produces an electric current in the gas. It also comes with a mushroom electrode (Blue), and other 3 electrodes (Pink/Orange).

Great Versatility

A major advantage of this spa equipment device is that you have a wide area open for customization. This allows you to treat your clients on a case-by-case basis. The front panel of this machine includes an intensity regular that allows you to increase or decrease the strength of the output. If your client has dry skin, apply the electrode directly over the treatment cream or mask. The high frequency current will have a sedative effect. Oily or impure skin? Use the pointed electrode to spark the blemish. This will increase healing process. Purchase the High-Frequency Unit T-217 from Natali Products today, and also check out the other spa equipment for sale. Warranty: 6 month warranty

Fucking seriously...? You put a AC-Line-powered HV oscillator to a neon tube, then rub that on the skin as a "treatment"...? For fucking what?

I mean... aside from "An excess of vanity and liquid cash compounded with Darwin-Award-worthy stupidity...?"

I'm guessing this must be some cousin to dermatology electrophoresis... but jeez, the BS being thrown around is mind-numbing, and this listing on Amazon just serves to pile it on higher and deeper; tho it does have pretty color pictures to really hype it up:   https://www.amazon.ca/Frequency-Facial-Device-Portable-Handhold/dp/B086D1C3GJ

mnem
Dismantle with extreme prejudice!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 11:58:34 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #92806 on: June 24, 2021, 11:57:35 pm »
On The Bench Tonight: Milo T-217 "High-Frequency Machine"

This was another thrifting score from that LMFM Sale excursion; at a net cost of approx US$13, I really didn't care what it does, I just wanted the enclosure. That, of course, doesn't preclude me from popping the cover to see what juicy bits lie inside. Lets see... looks like... what the hell...? A 255V autotransformer... (I suspect the 240V version doesn't have this) feeding what looks like a capacitive voltage multiplier, all "regulated" by a 600V SCR. And the output to a 5-pin DIN socket...?

:wtf: is this stupid waste of electrons supposed to do...?

A quick Gurrgle for the model number revealed the product page below from a online Beauty Supply house...

Warning: enough  :bullshit: to choke a monkey.

Quote from: nataliproducts.com Beauty Supply

Using high frequency electrical stimulation is a non-invasive and effective way to address many popular skin concerns making these treatments a favourite among skincare professionals. Make the smart decision, and buy spa equipment such as this High Frequency Unit T-217 from Natali Products today. Offer your clients one of the best skincare innovations in the industry. The high frequency device is simple to operate, and it’s gentle on skin. Plus it’s so versatile, you can use it on the face or even larger areas of the body.

Conveniently, it comes with 4 adapters:

Mushroom Adapter (Purple) – Suitable for large areas on the face and/or body
    Spoon Adapter (Orange) – Ideal for small areas on the face
    Pointed Adapter (Orange) – Great for impure skin
    Straight Adapter (Orange) – Perfect for indirect application (e.g. Viennese Massage)

The Science Behind the High Frequency Unit T-217

The High Frequency Unit T-217 generates high voltage of 10-100 kV with a frequency of approximately 400 kHz. And since the current of the generator is very low (10-15 mA), the unit is safe to use. The unit can also come in either a 110V or 220V depending on your needs. The voltage applied to the glass electrode is filled with Argon (Blue/Violet) or Neon (Pink/Orange) gas. Free electrons inside the gas start to move at a high speed, which produces an electric current in the gas. It also comes with a mushroom electrode (Blue), and other 3 electrodes (Pink/Orange).

Great Versatility

A major advantage of this spa equipment device is that you have a wide area open for customization. This allows you to treat your clients on a case-by-case basis. The front panel of this machine includes an intensity regular that allows you to increase or decrease the strength of the output. If your client has dry skin, apply the electrode directly over the treatment cream or mask. The high frequency current will have a sedative effect. Oily or impure skin? Use the pointed electrode to spark the blemish. This will increase healing process. Purchase the High-Frequency Unit T-217 from Natali Products today, and also check out the other spa equipment for sale. Warranty: 6 month warranty

Fucking seriously...? You put a AC-Line-powered HV oscillator to a neon tube, then rub that on the skin as a "treatment"...? For fucking what?

I mean... aside from "An excess of vanity and liquid cash compounded with Darwin-Award-worthy stupidity...?"

I'm guessing this must be some cousin to dermatology electrophoresis... but jeez, the BS being thrown around is mind-numbing, and this listing on Amazon just serves to pile it on higher and deeper; tho it does have pretty color pictures to really hype it up:   https://www.amazon.ca/Frequency-Facial-Device-Portable-Handhold/dp/B086D1C3GJ

mnem
Dismantle with extreme prejudice!

So you bought a modern version of a Violet Ray Machine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_ray

-Pat

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92807 on: June 25, 2021, 12:02:17 am »
No, I bought a really nice aluminum enclosure. The electro-snake-oil generator came along with, gratis.  :-DD

mnem
Hey; gotta love the classics...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #92808 on: June 25, 2021, 12:04:29 am »
No, I bought a really nice aluminum enclosure. The electro-snake-oil generator came along with, gratis.  :-DD

mnem
Hey; gotta love the classics...

Can I interest you in some Snake Oil?  It's good for what ails ya!  (whatever that may be...)

-Pat

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92809 on: June 25, 2021, 12:58:36 am »

-Pat

No, he bought a violet wand machine. Quite a different Wikipedia page from the one for violet ray: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_electrostimulation#Violet_wands . And he's trying to pretend he doesn't know what it is? I should cocoa!

The nurse will see you now:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 01:00:43 am by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92810 on: June 25, 2021, 01:52:50 am »

Just out of curiosity, I decided to see what potential it really generates; sadly, not much exciting. It wouldn't even strike an arc across a 3mm gap or light up a fluorescent bulb; the only fun I was able to have was torturing a lead in my pencil and a little tingle across a fingertip. Feels aboot like being bit by a fluorescent ballast, so what... 300-400V at 1-2mA max across the resistance of 5mm of skin...?

*sigh*

Might be good as a insulation tester power source tho; no idea what the actual unloaded voltage would peak out at. Still quite possibly higher than I'd feel like testing with any meter I have right now... :-//

mnem
 :-/O

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #92811 on: June 25, 2021, 02:12:23 am »
... the only fun I was able to have was torturing a lead in my pencil ...

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #92812 on: June 25, 2021, 02:26:59 am »
It's here, it's here!!!

:-+ :clap: ;D

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #92813 on: June 25, 2021, 03:27:01 am »
It's here, it's here!!!

Where's the teardown? Does it power up? Is there magic smoke?

We have rules you know.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, FransW

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #92814 on: June 25, 2021, 03:42:22 am »
It's here, it's here!!!

I'll tell you what you can do with your "rule".. I'll tell... ooooh, I'll tell you...  I'll, I'll, oooohhhhhhh...  :blah: :rant: :--

:-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #92815 on: June 25, 2021, 05:24:49 am »
This is in Albany CL, about 90 miles (145km) from me. Tempting but no. If I didn't currently have a hernia I would after trying to move that beast. And I just don't have the room. And yes, I think floor loading would definitely have to be a consideration.  ;D

And frankly it ain't worth $1000 USD although I'm sure some fool will pony up the cash. It just won't be this fool. My take is $500 USD tops.

And notice it says "ran when parked"  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #92816 on: June 25, 2021, 05:29:36 am »
It's here, it's here!!!

I'll tell you what you can do with your "rule".. I'll tell... ooooh, I'll tell you...  I'll, I'll, oooohhhhhhh...  :blah: :rant: :--

:-DD

So when can we expect the teardown?  :-// ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92817 on: June 25, 2021, 06:43:36 am »
Yep, that was going to my approach to it when I first acquired it, problem is that there are no plugs involved, its all hardwired and soldered using the crappiest solid core ribbon cables that instantly melts the insulation when a soldering iron is applied to the terminals  |O the bloody thing is evil  >:D

Oh nice. They managed to even optimise the connectors away on the cost front now :palm:. The last Casio thing I went inside actually had board to wire connectors in it. Race to the bottom is bad  :--

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92818 on: June 25, 2021, 06:45:23 am »

-Pat

No, he bought a violet wand machine. Quite a different Wikipedia page from the one for violet ray: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_electrostimulation#Violet_wands . And he's trying to pretend he doesn't know what it is? I should cocoa!

I'll take three!

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #92819 on: June 25, 2021, 06:56:05 am »

-Pat

I'll take three!

Really? Remember, you aren't any longer in your twenties!   :-DD :=\
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #92820 on: June 25, 2021, 07:17:27 am »
Oh, that was my hair color when I was younger

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #92821 on: June 25, 2021, 07:49:24 am »
Oh, that was my hair color when I was younger

What? You were a ginger? Really?

It's all beginning to make sense now.  :P :P :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92822 on: June 25, 2021, 08:08:43 am »

-Pat

No effing way, she's a bleeding red head.... RUN
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92823 on: June 25, 2021, 08:22:12 am »
This popped into my inbox this morning from shpock if anyone is interested in a 250MHz digital scope (HP54510A), it passes all self tests and is £100 in Redditch https://www.shpock.com/en-gb/i/YNSJwrpppBSid0wz/hp54510a-digital-oscilloscope-250mhz?utm_campaign=User+Alerts&utm_medium=mail&utm_content=alert&utm_source=alert
Might be worth a punt.  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #92824 on: June 25, 2021, 08:32:45 am »
This is in Albany CL, about 90 miles (145km) from me. Tempting but no. If I didn't currently have a hernia I would after trying to move that beast. And I just don't have the room. And yes, I think floor loading would definitely have to be a consideration.  ;D

And frankly it ain't worth $1000 USD although I'm sure some fool will pony up the cash. It just won't be this fool. My take is $500 USD tops.

And notice it says "ran when parked"  :-DD

I want one of those in a big way, but not $1k big!  Maybe $3-400 but that'd be about my limit, especially in relatively unknown condition.

-Pat

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf