Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14950511 times)

zrq, krby, med6753 and 231 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #94400 on: July 13, 2021, 04:18:30 pm »
@tggzzz does your glider need a new coat of paint, by any chance..?   ^-^

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334075131905

Anything less than 50yo is glass fibre and not painted. Older than that is wood+glue+fabric, and that has designated paints.

In addition, since it one of those things that "floats, flys or f**ks", I only rent them rather than own them :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94401 on: July 13, 2021, 04:23:34 pm »
Since one hour I'm looking for a website where I can check serial numbers for HP/Agilent/Keysight gear.
Anybody here, which can help me providing an URL? Thanks.

https://support.keysight.com/KeysightdCX/s/service-and-warranty-status?language=en_US

Only recent stuff however. My, made in 2013, 34461A is in there complete with expired warranties and dates, it doesn't even recognise the part numbers on older stuff.

HPAK serial numbers follow several schemes. The 'classic' HP scheme is YYWWC12345, like serial 2033A01234, a slightly disguised version of the serial number for my 6022A, which was made week 33 in 1960+20 = 1980, in America, and has a sequential serial of 01234.

Later serial numbers (post 2000? or Agilent and Keysight?) start with a country code US, MY (Malaysia), and I don't know the breakdown beyond that.

Your assessment of the 'classic' period S/Ns is close, but the first four (or 3 for 60s instruments) digits indicate the year and week of the revision the instrument is built to.  The actual build date could be much later and is best determined by looking at date codes on stuff in the innards.

You're absolutely right. Worse still, I knew that, but it somehow failed to make it to paper (well, bits and pixels).

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #94402 on: July 13, 2021, 04:51:24 pm »
After seeing something about the cobalt blue mug posted a while back, I added 'Tektronix mug' to my search on our favorite wallet-sucking site.  One showed up last week and I jumped on it; it arrived today.  It looks brand new, and was sent by someone who actually knows how to pack - it was overkill if anything - wrapped in soft foam surrounded by a custom cut roughly mug-shaped cardboard surround, then packed in bubble wrap and pillows in a roughly 9 x 11 x 6" (23 x 28 x 16 cm for you metric types) cardboard box.  The moron who shipped those poor HP mugs that were destroyed in transit because they were sent in their tiny individual cartons sans any kind of padding should have THIS box shoved up their ass as punishment/a lesson.

-Pat

I would kill for one of those. Still havent found one, obviously my search skills suck.

It's a matter of patience and timing.  I just put 'Tektronix Mug' in my evilbay search list, and look at what pops up in the daily e-mail.  Usually they're the boring white ceramic ones, but occasionally one pops up.  In this instance it took a few months, as the one that inspired my search was listed back in early May and now in July I've found it.  There's currently a cool looking speckled blue ceramic one listed, but it's not worth anywhere near $50 to me so it will stay listed.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94403 on: July 13, 2021, 05:02:08 pm »
I can't be bothered with pics at the moment, but the ER20 collet holder finally arrived. It was £17 including delivery from the Middle Kingdom and those little Chinese lads have excelled themselves this time. Anyone who knows the feeling of a precision nut and thread just smoothly sliding on a film of oil with no slop will know what I mean when I say I could feel how well made it was as soon as I took it out of the box.

So, the collet holder has been fitted to the drill press. One of the collets that came a week or so back fitted. A length of 8mm precision ground rod clamped in said collet and I've been at it with a dial indicator. The whole shebang now has a circular runout of ±6-7 microns (eyeballed off my 0.01mm dial indicator), so 12-14 in total and a world of difference from the 90 microns I measured with the old chuck in there.

I made a single trial hole in a bit of scrap Perspex with a 3mm jobber's drill and all went smoothly, nice crisp clean result. Anyone who's drilled Perspex will know that it can be a pig for chipping out slightly at the edges of holes if you've got too much runout.

Of course, as the grand scheme goes, now that I can actually drill round holes with some precision now I have to consider whether I need a set of reamers. (Who am I kidding, we can all hear the latent sound of my money flapping away on the breeze as I buy yet more tooling.)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94404 on: July 13, 2021, 05:47:56 pm »
One for our American members…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304065169345

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #94405 on: July 13, 2021, 05:51:09 pm »
You'll probably have to ransom them at the border. If somebody bothers to notify you.

mnem
 :popcorn:

There are no such borders between Italy and Germany. (if you manage to miss Switzerland, that is.) "Single Market", you know.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #94406 on: July 13, 2021, 06:10:05 pm »
So all OK.
Not sure what I'm going to do with it though.

Who in here needs a reason beyond "It is test equipment"?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94407 on: July 13, 2021, 06:15:06 pm »
On that note I need some more furniture and there’s a 7704A project on eBay. I am considering it (no sniping me :box:  :-DD)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94408 on: July 13, 2021, 08:16:22 pm »
On that note I need some more furniture and there’s a 7704A project on eBay. I am considering it (no sniping me :box:  :-DD)
No problem on that score from me.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #94409 on: July 13, 2021, 08:43:22 pm »
Speaking of modular Tek scopes, I've found a manual for my 5440 project. Have asked seller if they will ship to Sweden; normally they will only ship inside Germany.  I've found that once you write them in German, and are polite (Somewhat more collegial than "Sehr geehrte Herren" though, which is what my German teacher back in the 80s insisted had to set the scene for every DIN 5008 letter. We've moved on, at least on that bay of temptations..), most sellers will reconsider and offer shipping for reasonable money.

Yes, I know that there are pretty good scans on the BAMA and the Tek Wiki, but they all have the schematics unstitched. Which is to no end annoying.

With my Studer project, I'm spoilt for docs by having the original 3-ring binder with operations and service manual in two languages, German and English. It's made me a better fault-finder, even if there are several serious errors in the manual like one of the rail electrolytes on the master module turned the wrong way. That did not sound right; fortunately it was quickly found and corrected, both on the PCB and in the manual.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #94410 on: July 13, 2021, 09:05:19 pm »
Anyone looking for a very inexpensive Lab PC ? I have an ASRock A 320 uATX board with a Celeron 4900 and 8 GB on board sitting here. Cooler included. 100€
need a case ? And a PSU ? Plus SSD ? 150 all in all. All stuff new or from the returns shelf except for the PSU. Offering here for first pick.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94411 on: July 13, 2021, 09:30:30 pm »
Speaking of modular Tek scopes, I've found a manual for my 5440 project. Have asked seller if they will ship to Sweden; normally they will only ship inside Germany.  I've found that once you write them in German, and are polite (Somewhat more collegial than "Sehr geehrte Herren" though, which is what my German teacher back in the 80s insisted had to set the scene for every DIN 5008 letter. We've moved on, at least on that bay of temptations..), most sellers will reconsider and offer shipping for reasonable money.

Yes, I know that there are pretty good scans on the BAMA and the Tek Wiki, but they all have the schematics unstitched. Which is to no end annoying.

With my Studer project, I'm spoilt for docs by having the original 3-ring binder with operations and service manual in two languages, German and English. It's made me a better fault-finder, even if there are several serious errors in the manual like one of the rail electrolytes on the master module turned the wrong way. That did not sound right; fortunately it was quickly found and corrected, both on the PCB and in the manual.

I agree that scanned manuals can be a bother when it comes to the schematics and the scan of the fold out pages sometimes less than ideal and "unstitched" as you said. The best by far when it comes to scanned manuals is Artek Manuals. They take great pains to overlap the fold outs so everything flows easily. Plus they index the manual so you can find what you need quickly. Typically their softcopy PDF scans are $10 - $15 USD and I'll purchase one even if free, but crappy, scans are available. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94412 on: July 13, 2021, 09:37:11 pm »

Have installed fans and "No more Teks". Someone has hacked bd's id.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94413 on: July 13, 2021, 09:39:12 pm »
The reason, why I was asking for checking HP/Agilent/Keysight serial numbers was:
I was offered a 34401A Agilent branded unit for around 350 Euro. The previous owner managed
to remove the serial number label while he was cleaning the unit. He was able to find the label in the bin and then he sent me a picture of it, so I was able to compare it with what I've found stored in the device (the numbers matched, so I'll consider it as a genuine unit).

Frontside:

Backside:

read out serial number:

Picture of the label the seller sent to me:

The VFD is a bit dim, so I'll replace it. In the bay are some offers from chinese sellers which are looking good and the feedback is also reputable. Once I've changed the display I'll send it together with my other 34401A to Keysight in Böblingen for calibration.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #94414 on: July 13, 2021, 09:39:44 pm »

I agree that scanned manuals can be a bother when it comes to the schematics and the scan of the fold out pages sometimes less than ideal and "unstitched" as you said. The best by far when it comes to scanned manuals is Artek Manuals. They take great pains to overlap the fold outs so everything flows easily. Plus they index the manual so you can find what you need quickly. Typically their softcopy PDF scans are $10 - $15 USD and I'll purchase one even if free, but crappy, scans are available.

I'll second med's comments regarding Artek.  Dave's scans are second to none, and very inexpensive for what you get.  That said, I too much prefer hardcopy versions with their fold-out schematics and the ease of flipping back and forth between pages, which is far easier than scrolling back and forth through multiple pages when they're a ways apart. 

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94415 on: July 13, 2021, 09:45:28 pm »

Have installed fans and "No more Teks". Someone has hacked bd's id.  :P :-DD
Yep, completely out of character on the fan issue, maybe the Covid jab is the cause, and he is now under the control of Bill Gates as per the 5G conspiracy pushers claimed that jabbed people would be...ooer hang on I'm feeling rather strange myself... I must got and obtain loads of Tek's etc etc, whats that Bill yes yes I understand.... >:D >:D :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94416 on: July 13, 2021, 09:51:34 pm »
@BU508A
Just be very careful when replacing the VFD on that 34401A, I seem recall a post in this thread, maybe about a year ago regarding the VFD displays on those, it seems IRRC that there are 2 versions, one of which is thought not replaceable and one that is, so it might be an idea to a search for that posting?
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94417 on: July 13, 2021, 09:57:37 pm »
@BU508A
Just be very careful when replacing the VFD on that 34401A, I seem recall a post in this thread, maybe about a year ago regarding the VFD displays on those, it seems IRRC that there are 2 versions, one of which is thought not replaceable and one that is, so it might be an idea to a search for that posting?

There are three physical hardware versions on the front panel AFAIK and the early one suffers from complete failure resulting in the only option being replace the entire module. The Chinese displays aren't that good either I understand.

You can replace the entire module however directly from Keysight and save yourself a massive assache: https://www.keysight.com/my/partDetail/34401-66522

The insane thing is you can probably recoup half that back by selling the faded one to someone on ebay who wants to replace a completely buggered one  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 10:02:55 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #94418 on: July 13, 2021, 09:59:18 pm »
Here's one for you "vintage American iron" types:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ele/d/redmond-tektronix-500-scope/7349420790.html

11 Tektronix 500 series scopes, 2 carts, 2 HP scopes, and 2 bonus units/ $500 cash

RM15
RM31A
535A
543B
545A
545B

120B
140A

AN/UPM-10B
16500A
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 02:51:40 pm by duckduck »

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94419 on: July 13, 2021, 10:00:14 pm »
I think you refer to the Hague Conventions on Land Warfare.

Just smartassing :D

I haven't signed anything so she'd better watch out!

On the test equipment theme, I have several strings of Christmas lights run down the fence to light up my back yard whenever I have guests over after dark and this nutcase cut the wire last year.  This year, she unplugged them all.  I've been thinking about unscrewing the bulbs a little bit so they don't make contact in their sockets and then getting out one of my vacuum tube power supplies to energize the wires so there's B+ sitting, just waiting for the next time she decides to lean over the fence and go to work on my lights.

Luckily I don't have any neighbors like that or there would be all out war. I suspect the slobs who live next door are somewhat afraid of me because I keep to myself. Hopefully they regard me as "strange" and I do nothing to dissuade them. I am friendly with some tenants downstairs so at least the entire building doesn't think I'm nuts.  :-DD

We run into the "Angry Karens" in public. A mixed couple of white man/black woman is still somewhat uncommon. So when we are out together we get disapproving stares from these Karens all the time. We just laugh it off. So far not one has been brave enough so say something within hearing distance. The stereotype "Angry black woman" I think plays a big role here. But truth be told if you piss off Jo Ann there's a lot of truth to it. Her sharp tongue can cut you half before you even know what happen.  :scared: ;D   

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94420 on: July 13, 2021, 10:06:22 pm »
Here's one you "vintage American iron" types:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ele/d/redmond-tektronix-500-scope/7349420790.html

11 Tektronix 500 series scopes, 2 carts, 2 HP scopes, and 2 bonus units/ $500 cash

RM15
RM31A
535A
543B
545A
545B

120B
140A

AN/UPM-10B
16500A

These big scores always seem to be on the West Coast. I guess that makes sense because Tek is located in Oregon.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #94421 on: July 13, 2021, 10:10:10 pm »

On the test equipment theme, I have several strings of Christmas lights run down the fence to light up my back yard whenever I have guests over after dark and this nutcase cut the wire last year.  This year, she unplugged them all.  I've been thinking about unscrewing the bulbs a little bit so they don't make contact in their sockets and then getting out one of my vacuum tube power supplies to energize the wires so there's B+ sitting, just waiting for the next time she decides to lean over the fence and go to work on my lights.

Luckily I don't have any neighbors like that or there would be all out war. I suspect the slobs who live next door are somewhat afraid of me because I keep to myself. Hopefully they regard me as "strange" and I do nothing to dissuade them. I am friendly with some tenants downstairs so at least the entire building doesn't think I'm nuts. :-DD

We run into the "Angry Karens" in public. A mixed couple of white man/black woman is still somewhat uncommon. So when we are out together we get disapproving stares from these Karens all the time. We just laugh it off. So far not one has been brave enough so say something within hearing distance. The stereotype "Angry black woman" I think plays a big role here. But truth be told if you piss off Jo Ann there's a lot of truth to it. Her sharp tongue can cut you half before you even know what happen.  :scared: ;D   

So you've got SOME of them fooled, anyway...   :P :P

-Pat

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #94422 on: July 13, 2021, 10:29:47 pm »

Luckily I don't have any neighbors like that or there would be all out war. I suspect the slobs who live next door are somewhat afraid of me because I keep to myself. Hopefully they regard me as "strange" and I do nothing to dissuade them. I am friendly with some tenants downstairs so at least the entire building doesn't think I'm nuts. :-DD

So you've got SOME of them fooled, anyway...   :P :P

-Pat

I guess as long as I don't hear this playing downstairs I guess I'm good. But if yes, piss on them.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #94423 on: July 13, 2021, 10:32:33 pm »
@BU508A

Thanks Spec for the hint. I'm aware of this. The one to be careful about is from the very early HP branded 34401A with the input jacks all red. This one is an Agilent branded one, so I do not expect any issues here. I'll open it anyway to have a closer look to the usual suspects.

There are three physical hardware versions on the front panel AFAIK and the early one suffers from complete failure resulting in the only option being replace the entire module. The Chinese displays aren't that good either I understand.

You can replace the entire module however directly from Keysight and save yourself a massive assache: https://www.keysight.com/my/partDetail/34401-66522

The insane thing is you can probably recoup half that back by selling the faded one to someone on ebay who wants to replace a completely buggered one  :-DD

I'm only aware of two versions. The first one with the leaky and unobtainium driver IC's and the next major revision which is unchanged to today to my knowledge. Those two versions are completely incompatible. If one is having an older unit with a broken display with those leaky driver IC's then you have lost. There is a thread here in the forum where someone replaced the display with an microcontroller and an OLED display IIRC. But this is a lot of work to do so.

Edit:
I thought, I'll give one of those sellers a try:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372678311082
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113493375735
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372548711621
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 10:38:51 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94424 on: July 13, 2021, 10:48:37 pm »
Let us know how it goes. I’m still in the market for a rough looking 34401A as a project  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf