Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14948889 times)

Robert763 and 225 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #95575 on: July 25, 2021, 11:03:59 pm »
@Cerebus, here is that self same A406 junction you posted but a little later on, poor Mercedes Benz stuck in it.

Looking at that, and some other footage that's been coming in of the surrounding area we got away really lightly here. Another half to one mile away there was serious flooding. I could still drive here, carefully, but when I got to the local supermarket there was water pouring in through the roof there - which I omitted to say earlier. The last time I personally got so wet just by walking outside was in Scotland halfway up the Black Mount starting from Kinlochleven, the difference was getting that wet took me a hour or two there, today it took me about 30 seconds.
I'm glad that I live almost at the top of a hill, my back garden did get slightly flooded though, but soon soaked away. I just knew that someone was going to be getting serious weather as my son was pointing out to me how the clouds were getting so massive with all the water vapour. We could actually see the clouds getting higher and higher, like a mushroom cloud from an atomic explosion, and getting fatter before our eyes. I had never before seen that happen before, it was really genuinely interesting watching it happen in real time. This video is a lapsed one, the clouds did not form at this rate but you could still see it happening.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 11:05:32 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95576 on: July 26, 2021, 12:10:15 am »

I'm glad that I live almost at the top of a hill, my back garden did get slightly flooded though, but soon soaked away. I just knew that someone was going to be getting serious weather as my son was pointing out to me how the clouds were getting so massive with all the water vapour. We could actually see the clouds getting higher and higher, like a mushroom cloud from an atomic explosion, and getting fatter before our eyes. I had never before seen that happen before, it was really genuinely interesting watching it happen in real time. This video is a lapsed one, the clouds did not form at this rate but you could still see it happening.

I've seen that happening before quite some distance away, but from above the clouds. One day I was looking south from about 2000 feet in the hills just to the north of Ben Nevis (the name escapes me, it's that ridge just north of the Ben). We were above the clouds and the peons below them were having a day of low cloud and drizzle - dreach as the Scots say. There were rising columns of cloud forming over the sea to the south west and slowly coming our way. We got down off the hills pretty damn quick I'll tell you. When you can see towers of Cumulonimbus building up and heading your way you know you're in trouble.

When you're in that kind of country it pays to understand the weather and know how to gauge what it's doing. By the time we got down to the road the skys opened up and it tipped down turning up into drowned rats. If we'd still been up on the hills we'd have probably had to hunker down for the night until it was over. I've done it before and no matter how well prepared you are it's still a miserable way to spend a night.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #95577 on: July 26, 2021, 12:12:09 am »

When I moved to Cambridge, I payed close attention to the contours. In my current house I'm on the side of a hill, which gives a lovely view.

It is amusing to work out the weight of a cumulo nimbus cloud. Assume there is 1g/m3 of water.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95578 on: July 26, 2021, 12:26:11 am »

When I moved to Cambridge, I payed close attention to the contours. In my current house I'm on the side of a hill, which gives a lovely view.

It is amusing to work out the weight of a cumulo nimbus cloud. Assume there is 1g/m3 of water.
Well I would guess maybe in the millions of tons and perhaps some could be billions of tons in weight.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #95579 on: July 26, 2021, 03:48:03 am »
   https://xkcd.com/963/

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a command line mallet*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #95580 on: July 26, 2021, 05:44:33 am »
Well, those Fluke 787's that went unsold twice at £370 have been relisted at £555, and the pictures changed to one from a Fluke catalogue. That's not suspicious at all...

<snip>
No thats not suspicious at all, neither is the fact that they are listed as brand new and sealed in box or that he has one listed at £550 and the other at £555.

If you still have the original photos and or a copy of the listing, I'd be inclined to report that seller to eBay and see if they sort him out.

I don't. Anyway, I'm not the ebay police, and smack-heads have to live too, right?

If someone is foolish enough to buy them I expect it to be an instructive experience.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #95581 on: July 26, 2021, 05:51:36 am »
Trivia time: what wallpaper should I use on my phone?

Constraint: 320 high, 240 wide. Yes, it is a phone, not a computer with a phone as an afterthought.
I've had this wallpaper on my HP5555, which died a few years ago(don't forget to make the starty menu cutout).

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95582 on: July 26, 2021, 06:18:52 am »

Rewireable fuse consumer units haven't been fitted for 40 years or more.

I don't think you could sell a house with one nowadays; the mortgage company wouldn't lend.

4 1/2 years ago when we were looking for a home to buy we saw quite a few with fuse units.    I told Debbie we would have to update  the wiring and grounding.

The first one we made an offer on had circuit breakers, but I would have failed it.      It did fail on the survey, but not for electrics.  We used the fail as a reason to back out.

I don't think it is legal to rent a dwelling without RCD protection and proper earthing.   

I've run 150W lamps in an enlarged standard envelope shape in standard pendants without issues, the only time I've had the pins sink into the solder was with a 250W lamp...[/color][/size][/b]

One of the first things I did when we moved into our current, mortgaged home was change all the lights to LED.   No worries about overheating and we save money too.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 06:21:24 am by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #95583 on: July 26, 2021, 06:48:35 am »

One of the first things I did when we moved into our current, mortgaged home was change all the lights to LED.   No worries about overheating and we save money too.

(I'm all for that change, and I'm making it, incrementally, as my bulbs go pop, but.)

So you're replacing a known failure mode, "resistor as heating element" with a new one, "dodgy cost-cutting driver circuit fire"  :-DD

I've found that a reasonable brand name on the new lighting instrument saves a bit of a headache and gives long life. The new ones are still somewhat complicated from a waste standpoint too, in spite of RoHS et al. I'd guess that the net load on the environment, and the CAPEX+OPEX, with china-rate failures on LEDs is not too removed from incandescent. If you have unmetered mains, old lamps may very well be desirable from an egoistical PoV.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #95584 on: July 26, 2021, 07:53:22 am »
Who likes RF tinkering, knocking shit together and proving it works ?
https://www.youtube.com/c/CharlieMorrisZL2CTM/videos
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95585 on: July 26, 2021, 08:14:35 am »
So you're replacing a known failure mode, "resistor as heating element" with a new one, "dodgy cost-cutting driver circuit fire"  :-DD

Yeah :(

My parents house has quite a few CFLs, many of which have brown discolouration on the plastic. I see no reason why LEDs would be better.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95586 on: July 26, 2021, 08:25:08 am »
Well, those Fluke 787's that went unsold twice at £370 have been relisted at £555, and the pictures changed to one from a Fluke catalogue. That's not suspicious at all...

<snip>
No thats not suspicious at all, neither is the fact that they are listed as brand new and sealed in box or that he has one listed at £550 and the other at £555.

If you still have the original photos and or a copy of the listing, I'd be inclined to report that seller to eBay and see if they sort him out.

I don't. Anyway, I'm not the ebay police, and smack-heads have to live too, right?

If someone is foolish enough to buy them I expect it to be an instructive experience.

Wow thats just so  >:D  :-DD :-DD

Think of it like this, as long people like that get away it then prices on eBay will remain stupidly high for rubbish because other idiots could be using them as barometers when setting their selling prices  :palm:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 08:28:33 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95587 on: July 26, 2021, 08:49:01 am »
Think of it like this, as long people like that get away it then prices on eBay will remain stupidly high for rubbish because other idiots could be using them as barometers when setting their selling prices  :palm:

If people do pay such prices, clearly they aren't stupidly high. Ditto Ramco prices for hp34401a. (or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255065963778 )

Perhaps people are increasing the price to cover fleabay's increased "uplift".
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 08:56:34 am by tggzzz »

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95588 on: July 26, 2021, 09:31:30 am »

(I'm all for that change, and I'm making it, incrementally, as my bulbs go pop, but.)

The initial batch were Integral brand, installed Feb 2015.   About 1/3 of have failed to date, mostly the 5W 3 LED GU10 ones.   All fail the same way.  Occasional blinks off then no light at all.

I replaced the early failures with expensive SORAA Vivid high CRI lights.   All of those still work.   Despite the high initial purchase price, they still save money compared to halogen and are less of a fire risk.

I'm now using Philips Master 'expert colour' high CRI leds.    They are an affordable alternative to SORAA and I can get them in BC  base as well as GU10.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 09:33:42 am by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95589 on: July 26, 2021, 09:37:45 am »
I will see how the Philips lights do over time.  I may end up going back to SORAA if the Philips lights fail more often.     Despite costing 3x more, they may be less expensive over the long run.

I've had one Philips Master LED fail so far compared to zero for SORAA.   

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95590 on: July 26, 2021, 09:53:39 am »

The initial batch were Integral brand, installed Feb 2015.   About 1/3 of have failed to date, mostly the 5W 3 LED GU10 ones.   All fail the same way.  Occasional blinks off then no light at all.

I replaced the early failures with expensive SORAA Vivid high CRI lights.   All of those still work.   Despite the high initial purchase price, they still save money compared to halogen and are less of a fire risk.

I'm now using Philips Master 'expert colour' high CRI leds.    They are an affordable alternative to SORAA and I can get them in BC  base as well as GU10.

My experience with cheapo Chinese LED bulbs has been similar. A few years ago local home center had this fantastic sale on no name 60 watt equivalent bulbs so I figured why not and started excising the CFL's and incandescent bulbs. Their light output was acceptable but within a year a third of them crapped out. Same failure mode as you noticed. Replaced with GE (General Electric) branded LED's and so far no failures. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95591 on: July 26, 2021, 10:11:27 am »

I've found that a reasonable brand name on the new lighting instrument saves a bit of a headache and gives long life. The new ones are still somewhat complicated from a waste standpoint too, in spite of RoHS et al. I'd guess that the net load on the environment, and the CAPEX+OPEX, with china-rate failures on LEDs is not too removed from incandescent. If you have unmetered mains, old lamps may very well be desirable from an egoistical PoV.

I’ve got a Philips one in my living room that cost £25. It has been there 10 years now. Buy quality buy once.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95592 on: July 26, 2021, 10:12:11 am »
   https://xkcd.com/963/

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a command line mallet*

That brings back memories of writing modelines in the 90s. Life is indeed good since then.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #95593 on: July 26, 2021, 10:12:19 am »
Fixed Tumble dryer. Again. No TE involvement this time, except a small effort by the  Knipex ferrule crimper and the Safebloc(tm) to build a bodge-power for the condensate evac pump and test it. As time before last (which was a motor cap failure, validating TEA Rule 9, and involved TE in form of a ScopeMeter), the pump had fallen to bits and sucked said bits in, jamming itself. Took 2 years to happen, and will, again. Replacing is not cost effective. Getting 2 more years out of a 10yo tumble dryer, for the effort of two bodge cables, a bit of screwdriving, and some quality time with Middle Boy who crimped the ferrules on the test leads and was bottle holder during the pumping tests, is reasonable.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95594 on: July 26, 2021, 10:35:29 am »

I’ve got a Philips one in my living room that cost £25. It has been there 10 years now. Buy quality buy once.
I know why, you always use you task lighting on the bench for all lighting needs  :-DD. I have some LED spots in my kitchen, been there for about 6 years or more now, cheap ones from Lidl. My son has some genuine Osram lamps in his bedroom fitting, and they are constantly blowing after about 9 months. The rest of the house has LEDs from various places but it does really seem that the LEDs from Lidl take some beating.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95595 on: July 26, 2021, 10:50:39 am »
I have some LED spots in my kitchen, been there for about 6 years or more now, cheap ones from Lidl. My son has some genuine Osram lamps in his bedroom fitting, and they are constantly blowing after about 9 months. The rest of the house has LEDs from various places but it does really seem that the LEDs from Lidl take some beating.  :-+

Lidl and Aldi's origins are in "what can we buy cheap today and sell to the public". That makes me wonder whether it is a case that they got a good batch from Shenzen, and whether the next batch will be the same.

The same question is also valid for other retailers and brands, of course - just as it is for CD/R, CD/RW etc media.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #95596 on: July 26, 2021, 10:56:44 am »
Replaced about 30 halogen mr16 downlights with the Phillips Master LEDs - the ones with the side cooling ducts - about 5yrs ago - had to pair most of them so they would work with the electronic 'transformers' smpsu which seem to need about a 12-15W load to work properly.
None have failed to date, 👍😁.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95597 on: July 26, 2021, 11:26:59 am »
Another OT post, this time for those in the UK.

Currently I'm with VogonMedia cable for my internet (and landline), and have been since they were Blueyonder. I dislike VM and the keep having inflation busting price increases; my pips are squeaking.

Fortunately fibre will shortly be coming to a telephone pole near me, so I will have a choice :) Is there any good reason not to swap to fibre when it is available, e.g. Zen or AAIB. What precautions should I take, other than to migrate any email addresses?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #95598 on: July 26, 2021, 11:45:48 am »

Currently I'm with VogonMedia cable for my internet (and landline), and have been since they were Blueyonder. I dislike VM and the keep having inflation busting price increases; my pips are squeaking.

Fortunately fibre will shortly be coming to a telephone pole near me, so I will have a choice :) Is there any good reason not to swap to fibre when it is available, e.g. Zen or AAIB. What precautions should I take, other than to migrate any email addresses?

Do you have to communicate with them with poems?

Just asking ...
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95599 on: July 26, 2021, 11:49:42 am »

None whatsoever, but be aware that VM does have the fastest fibre so if you can get fibre from VM, my advice would be to get it, but you say you're already with them, is that copper based or fibre? If it is fibre, you could threaten them with you leaving and taking your business else where because of their charges, you might be pleasantly surprised at what they will other you to stay.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf