Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14956167 times)

dazz1 and 171 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #95950 on: July 29, 2021, 11:40:56 pm »
I do not have much time these days to visit the forums.
 Had forgot all about this thread until Dave's mention in the video.
Wow has it grown.
I checked out Tony;s channel...subscribed.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #95951 on: July 30, 2021, 12:19:11 am »
But agreed; Robert is a lucky man. You find someone who is willing to put up with your shit (and we all have shit) is hard enough... you find an enabler, you damn straight marry her. Or him. Or it, as the case may be...  :o

mnem
"Look ma! I contributed!!!"

I did marry her.  Most of the tools in my 61" tool chest is her enabling including the tool chest.  All the big power tools are her enabling.  She justifies it by saying she has a project for using it.  She has even enabled me by giving me the go ahead for the parts for the semi-custom rifle that my son and I are going to build.  I am always hitting the ground running to keep up with the quid pro quo.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #95952 on: July 30, 2021, 12:23:44 am »
But agreed; Robert is a lucky man. You find someone who is willing to put up with your shit (and we all have shit) is hard enough... you find an enabler, you damn straight marry her. Or him. Or it, as the case may be...  :o

mnem
"Look ma! I contributed!!!"

I did marry her.  Most of the tools in my 61" tool chest is her enabling including the tool chest.  All the big power tools are her enabling.  She justifies it by saying she has a project for using it.  She has even enabled me by giving me the go ahead for the parts for the semi-custom rifle that my son and I are going to build.  I am always hitting the ground running to keep up with the quid pro quo.
Caliber ? ......bit of a gun nut myself.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #95953 on: July 30, 2021, 01:17:39 am »
A screen grab from a recent video of Dave's...

Anybody see what I saw?

:-// :-// :-//

The alignment could not have been better - but was completely unintentional.

Was it too subtle, or am I that easily entertained?

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #95954 on: July 30, 2021, 03:24:54 am »
Thanks for that link, it really helped narrow down a suitable motherboard for my needs.

Having spent some time looking at various bits, I'm currently thinking of the following;
Ryzen 3700X CPU & B550 ATX Motherboard (either Gigabyte Gaming X V2 or ASUS Prime Plus),
500 GB M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD and 2x8GB RAM.
Finally a replacement Soundblaster card, as mine is to old to fit the newer slots and I'm keeping the existing case, GPU, PSU, DVD, etc.

Anyone know if I can use the existing Win 10 OEM license, or will I have to buy another?

David

I have had some bad experiences with Gigabyte motherboards.  That is anecdotal, so does not count for much.

Your memory strategy is the same as what I have done for the family computer here.

What are your needs for a sound card?  Maybe the sound capability onboard the motherboard will be good enough for most uses...

I have used the Win7+ upgrade method to get to Windows 10.
I have also installed Windows10 and entered a Win7 licence code.
For SWMBO mother's computer, I changed CPU, MB, PSU and SSD all at once without it complaining that it was no longer the same computer...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #95955 on: July 30, 2021, 03:34:30 am »
Thanks for that link, it really helped narrow down a suitable motherboard for my needs.

Having spent some time looking at various bits, I'm currently thinking of the following;
Ryzen 3700X CPU & B550 ATX Motherboard (either Gigabyte Gaming X V2 or ASUS Prime Plus),
Finally a replacement Soundblaster card, as mine is to old to fit the newer slots and I'm keeping the existing case, GPU, PSU, DVD, etc.

Anyone know if I can use the existing Win 10 OEM license, or will I have to buy another?

David

I have had some bad experiences with Gigabyte motherboards.  That is anecdotal, so does not count for much.

Your memory strategy is the same as what I have done for the family computer here.

What are your needs for a sound card?  Maybe the sound capability onboard the motherboard will be good enough for most uses...

I have used the Win7+ upgrade method to get to Windows 10.
I have also installed Windows10 and entered a Win7 licence code.
For SWMBO mother's computer, I changed CPU, MB, PSU and SSD all at once without it complaining that it was no longer the same computer...

Brand of MB is a bit irrelevant seems all of the Top names have produced their share or Turkey's so check out some competent reviews before pulling the trigger.

Gigabyte B450 running a Ryzen 3700X happily now for 2 years I guess and another mini ITX Gigabyte on a 2400G both faultless. As I was buying the 3700X very close to release date I looked at the then new MB's and decided there was little to be gained at the time and I could always upgrade the MB later if I wanted to.

Both systems are running suspect keys from here but nil issues with either https://www.urcdkey.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-oem-global-cd-key-email-only.html?sc_src=email_2357353&sc_lid=132671636&sc_uid=X9hpO6KAgG&sc_llid=46132&sc_eh=26f3952bc72565c81#EDMdeals
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #95956 on: July 30, 2021, 05:08:43 am »
P.S. could really use one of them exploding cats, to install in this computer  >:D, had lots of problems with it the last few days, it froze shortly after an error appeared and then refused to boot afterwards (not even a beep from the motherboard), it's done this twice now, I suspect a hardware problem.  |O

It could easily be a windows update (if that's your OS). My laptop started behaving oddly after updating yesterday, the line detection doesn't work properly now and it keeps dropping in and out, with accompanying beep (until I got annoyed and turned the sound off).
Naturally I checked the output from the brick as I thought the high ambient t was making it shut down, but nope. Just windows being windows.   :-//

Bit behind on here again.....

It's done it again over the weekend, I'm fairly certain it's a hardware problem, as it refused to do anything other than spin fans/drives up and light the LED on the front. To rule out the OS (win 10) I unplugged the HDD's and still couldn't get anything for a while after repeatedly trying, I would normally expect the motherboard beep & show the boot screen, then the post info, would have thought an error about no drives too.

Not sure I can be bothered investigating further as the PC is getting on a bit, the motherboard & CPU are from 2008, I did replace the cheap nasty Coolermaster PSU after it failed in 2011 (filled with CrapXon caps & not enough space to fit decent parts, due to component density). The GPU, RAM and HDD's got upgraded in 2014.

Might be time for a partial rebuild with new motherboard, CPU, RAM, SSD, etc. Thinking of going for a Ryzen 3700X (65W), not sure about the rest yet, as I need to see if I can find a motherboard with correct expansion slots for the GPU & other cards.

David
Just as much for those playing along at home as for you, my friend ;) :

Don't forget to go here and do some research; https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/

Check parts pricing now vs history so you don't fuck yourself paying too much for something which price has tanked for some unknown reason.

A couple hours spent there can save you a few hundred or more, depending on build.

mnem

David

I sometimes wonder if people bother to actually read the posts that they are replying to.

Yes, you can use the existing w10 license you already have from the old machine, when you make a clean install on the new one. I've done it myself on numerous occasions.

Much easier than obtaining w7 and upgrading or buying a new one from a PC stripper on ebay etc etc.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, factory

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #95957 on: July 30, 2021, 05:22:48 am »
I sometimes wonder if respondents to threads bother to see that sometimes discussion wanders away from the OP's topic a tad  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, factory

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95958 on: July 30, 2021, 09:14:08 am »
Finally got something cocked up to fix!  :-+

Received the Farnell TOPS1 this morning in this horrible packaging:

Fortunately it was no worse than as described. Cracked it open and found this. This is the output filter capacitor on the 5V output which appears to have blown out and been left  :palm:

Anyway I will deal with that later. I have removed it and cleaned it up and it has not left much of a mess:

Will ESR check the other capacitors as well, pop a replacement for that one in and do a check out before refurb.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, beanflying, mansaxel, Kosmic, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #95959 on: July 30, 2021, 09:22:36 am »

"Vestigia terrent"

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #95960 on: July 30, 2021, 09:44:39 am »

Fortunately it was no worse than as described. Cracked it open and found this. This is the output filter capacitor on the 5V output which appears to have blown out and been left  :palm:

Anyway I will deal with that later. I have removed it and cleaned it up and it has not left much of a mess:

Will ESR check the other capacitors as well, pop a replacement for that one in and do a check out before refurb.

What does it look like from the front ?
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #95961 on: July 30, 2021, 09:45:19 am »

Curious, what the ESR of thing would be ...

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline Shiv

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #95962 on: July 30, 2021, 10:13:40 am »
Hi all, see what i just get:

It´s in pretty good shape, I think is complete:

It have bad power cord and probably a broken valve, but I think I have spares.

Do you like it?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 10:22:56 am by Shiv »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, beanflying, Kosmic, cyclin_al, duckduck, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95963 on: July 30, 2021, 10:43:31 am »
Leave it to Rohde & Schwarz to take the VTVM to a whole another level. That thing is a beast.  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Shiv

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95964 on: July 30, 2021, 10:47:22 am »

Curious, what the ESR of thing would be ...

:-DD

Typical state of a Philips crapacitor.  |O ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95965 on: July 30, 2021, 10:50:46 am »

Good job that is only a single sided PCB as well. Now that would be a great indication to eviscerate all the other in there as well at the double.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #95966 on: July 30, 2021, 10:58:24 am »
Leave it to Rohde & Schwarz to take the VTVM to a whole another level. That thing is a beast.  :o

I have several of its successor, the URU 1080BN.  ;D

Can be seen here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2588193/#msg2588193
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95967 on: July 30, 2021, 11:05:29 am »

Can be seen here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2588193/#msg2588193

I remember you posting that. At least the newer one you can figure out and make sense of. The older one? I greatly admire German engineering but someone was on mind altering drugs when they designed it.  :P :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95968 on: July 30, 2021, 11:08:29 am »
This is USPS speak for "we don't know where the fuck your package is".  :rant:

This package is the vertical output transistors for the Type 547.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #95969 on: July 30, 2021, 11:26:29 am »

I remember you posting that. At least the newer one you can figure out and make sense of. The older one? I greatly admire German engineering but someone was on mind altering drugs when they designed it.  :P :-DD

For the same reasons we are famous for our sense of humor.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95970 on: July 30, 2021, 12:01:35 pm »
Got my fingers crossed here, currently in discussion with a seller for a couple of new items that come as a pair, but only 1 is really of interest to me as it will expand my TTi collection with a pretty rare beast indeed, more info as it pans out  :-DMM
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #95971 on: July 30, 2021, 12:50:26 pm »

Took me a few moments to realise what I was looking at with that packaging. Good that those things are robust...

I hope you tested that cap and didn't just shotgun replace it!   :-DD

Also, does anyone else keep looking in the wrong place for the TEA thread..?   :palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95972 on: July 30, 2021, 01:01:43 pm »
No, I have it set up on my browser that it goes directly to the TEA thread. It says that goes to page 1701, so thats a lie, it goes directly to current page. :-DD
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 01:03:33 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95973 on: July 30, 2021, 01:13:18 pm »
My oscilloscope is taking a few days off to watch the Olympics.   I'm sure it is having a good time, but I wish it would hurry up and get here.      Narita is near Tokyo and Sennan is near Osaka.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 01:19:36 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95974 on: July 30, 2021, 01:20:06 pm »
I doubt that judging by my recent experience with BangGood. I think you'll check the tracking in a few times and find that the nest update will be telling you that it has been scanned in, here in the UK, possibly at Heathrow like mine was and then approx 2 days time it will arrive at your local dept.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf