Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14963603 times)

TSCOLAN and 202 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #101600 on: September 13, 2021, 07:55:33 pm »
The fact it is too easy to cut/drill through both conductors and still manage to energize a metal body (especially with the Tim Taylor crowd) is why they pressed forward with double-insulated requirement for hand-operated power tools...

Those are far too small to get the mounting bolts for a V8 on, even for a small block.

TS 00:15 and 06:58 are prime examples of the kind of "energizing a metal body" I was talking aboot... but hey, no reason not to enjoy the whole loop. >:D

mnem
motherfucker got paid to run over golf carts with a tank... I am in the wrong line of work. :palm:

That show was far too subtle and self-aware to be both American and aimed at a blue collar audience, but it was. Several cuts above anything else American TV was turning out in that target market at the time. Wilson was my favourite character.

"So we upgraded it..."
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101601 on: September 13, 2021, 07:57:59 pm »
If you are referring to the manual, I am wondering about the same thing. Another device of the same type which was sold had a rear view pictured which read 'Options C01 C04' and was fitted with rear-mounted SMA connectors instead of N. Mine has N, at least they described it as such. And rear-mounted.
So that manual is a bit strange.

Wait, I'm so confused ... I do see that the N connectors may fit into those SMA holes. But what happened to the three BNC functions offered on the back of others that have front N connectors. I see - RF Blanking, EXT. AM, and Det. Out. on them. HP makes you sacrifice those for rear RF connections?

:-\
Oh feck, what have I gotten myself into here? I will keep away from anything HPAK in the future. But we will only know more when it is here, as it does not even have options according to the manual. :wtf:

I will have to check whether the components behind those signals are present on the PCB. At least the wiring is in the manual. But another SNAFU is that the coaxial connections are supposed to be hardline. I bet that they aren't identical for front and rear connection. At least I should get some sort of 100kHz...3GHz amplifier.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 08:10:40 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #101602 on: September 13, 2021, 08:00:53 pm »

You can cross the border and visit us now, if you are fully vaccinated.

We are not allowed to go visit you ...

Careful there Kosmic with the offer, I assume I am located even closer than med is.  I may eventually need to calibrate all my stuff, maybe even a reference or two...

Yes, I am fully vaccinated but I still can't visit you fine folks in the GWN. I don't have a passport and I have yet to upgrade my license id to what's called "ESL" so I can cross the border. I've been meaning to upgrade but the Covid shutdown put the stop to that for now.

Oh right, I need to take care of that passport thing too...

I did not know there was a license rating to cross a border.
Gurrgle only shows ESLE results for English as a Second Language...

Sorry, had it wrong. It's NYS Enhanced License or EDL. Another name is "Real ID" as if the current license I have is fake.  :palm:

Ah! Thanks for that.  So that is the sort of thing that Ontario was proposing to put in place.
NM, they actually tried it, then cancelled it in 2019...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #101603 on: September 13, 2021, 08:02:23 pm »
Hooo Boy, I snipped a big one this time (35kg/77lbs) and it's a Fluke! Please remember me to never set an auction listing scheduled to end a midnight on a holiday.

Since my bodge is holding up I did some tesst with my newly acquired Tenma 72-2995.

Nice to be able to generate a AC signal up to 1000V  :D

It does amps too!  :-+

Overall it look like the calibrator is spot on.

If someone need a 4.5 digits (maybe 5.5digits) multimeter calibrated, let me know  ;)

It's too bad you are across the border of I WOULD be sending you all my stuff to be calibrated.   ;D Nice score and I am blue with envy.   :P :-DD

Careful there Kosmic with the offer, I assume I am located even closer than med is.  I may eventually need to calibrate all my stuff, maybe even a reference or two...

As a confirmed voltmutt, odds are low that I'll be bothering you... well, maybe once I actually have my 3478A back... maybe.  ;)

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #101604 on: September 13, 2021, 08:04:32 pm »

Sorry, had it wrong. It's NYS Enhanced License or EDL. Another name is "Real ID" as if the current license I have is fake.  :palm:

I once used my swedish drivers license as ID (it is an officially approved ID in Sweden) to get into the Network Solutions computing center in Reston VA. I had a chance to visit "a.root-servers.net", when I was in town. The ladies in the reception had a blast trying to understand my license.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #101605 on: September 13, 2021, 08:09:02 pm »
Just love popping down a firearms license when asked for ID and the ensuing argument when told it doesn't qualify.  :bullshit:
Pic it has too and a LOT harder to get than a drivers license.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101606 on: September 13, 2021, 08:09:23 pm »
Wowsers, some eBay sellers get their fingers out when it comes to getting things delivered, I just received an email from UPS informing me that I will getting a delivery tomorrow that will need to be signed for. It was only picked up today from the drop-off shop in Reading, and it hasn't had to go scooting passed me to the national sorting hub and then send back down south, well done UPS.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #101607 on: September 13, 2021, 08:17:23 pm »
Just love popping down a firearms license when asked for ID and the ensuing argument when told it doesn't qualify.  :bullshit:

My military ID was not. For some reason they did not get it qualified as an official ID document. But, since it is for all practical purposes as secure as an official ID, and, like your firearms license, a lot harder to get, most people accepted it as such anyway.

Once I did not use it, even if I was asked to. On my way to work, the Military Police had a speeding checkpoint, and they stopped pretty much everyone. I was quite early to work, and the police officers were kinda new to this. So I was asked for ID, and replied "I think a drivers license would be a better option" and handed that over.  :palm:

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #101608 on: September 13, 2021, 08:22:21 pm »
Oh, and some TE. I finally succumbed and bought a Fluke 27, from the batch of near-new-ones that was mentioned here some time ago. It's on its way to Erlanger now.

Pic from ad:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #101609 on: September 13, 2021, 08:22:38 pm »
Wowsers, some eBay sellers get their fingers out when it comes to getting things delivered, I just received an email from UPS informing me that I will getting a delivery tomorrow that will need to be signed for. It was only picked up today from the drop-off shop in Reading, and it hasn't had to go scooting passed me to the national sorting hub and then send back down south, well done UPS.  :-+

Do not count your chickens........
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101610 on: September 13, 2021, 08:28:56 pm »
Yeaaaah. Got a YouTube series going on about that  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101611 on: September 13, 2021, 08:33:04 pm »
The fact it is too easy to cut/drill through both conductors and still manage to energize a metal body (especially with the Tim Taylor crowd) is why they pressed forward with double-insulated requirement for hand-operated power tools...

Those are far too small to get the mounting bolts for a V8 on, even for a small block.

https://youtu.be/qsPwLdY6VFY

TS 00:15 and 06:58 are prime examples of the kind of "energizing a metal body" I was talking aboot... but hey, no reason not to enjoy the whole loop. >:D

mnem
motherfucker got paid to run over golf carts with a tank... I am in the wrong line of work. :palm:

That show was far too subtle and self-aware to be both American and aimed at a blue collar audience, but it was. Several cuts above anything else American TV was turning out in that target market at the time. Wilson was my favourite character.

"So we upgraded it..."

Mine too. Reminded me a lot of grand-dad, except he never seemed able to demonstrate that level of patience with me.

That's not entirely true either; King of the Hill was coeval, as was Malcolm in the Middle, and both were far better written and more incisive than they had a right to be given the source and the target audience. Between them, they ran overlapping from 1991-2010. It's just compared to "Reality TV" and The Simps, etc that you wonder how the fuck any of them ever got greenlighted.

The bad part aboot these shows is that they ultimately served the exact opposite of their intended purpose; rather than holding a mirror up to the batshit crazy world that made these families (and to some extent, almost all working class families) the kind of crazy they were, they became a new genre of "fucked-up family shows" that serve to normalize and even in some cases glorify the fucked-up-ness rather than actually work towards changing the crazy world that forged those families in the first place.

Now, their main purpose is to serve as "yeah, we're fucked up... but we're not THAT bad..." examples, until you're left with shit like The Osbornes as the only step down to be thankful you're above... :palm:

mnem
*currently weaning my son off the Simps and onto a regular diet of those 3 shows and Serling-era Twilight Zone/Outer Limits...*

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 08:44:06 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101612 on: September 13, 2021, 08:39:14 pm »
Years ago, there was the most incredible series of traffic offenses commited in Ireland by one particular Polish driver named Prawo Jazdy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7899171.stm
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 08:42:29 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, shakalnokturn, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101613 on: September 13, 2021, 08:54:06 pm »

I once used my swedish drivers license as ID (it is an officially approved ID in Sweden) to get into the Network Solutions computing center in Reston VA. I had a chance to visit "a.root-servers.net", when I was in town. The ladies in the reception had a blast trying to understand my license.

Good lord... this is hardly news. REAL ID is a federal program enacted in 2005 to make participating local government IDs part of a national database for verification rather than state local only, thereby making it much more difficult for real terrorists and criminals to use phony and stolen out-of-state IDs to conduct their criminal activity.

It's actually a bit arrogant to assume that a local driver's license should be acceptable ID at any international border, IMO; the fact that Canada and Mexico have done so for so long is only due to strongarming from US interests. It's not like a passport is that hard to get; even my kids have them and my dad has had one all his adult life as he travels a lot but does not drive.

mnem
 :blah:

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #101614 on: September 13, 2021, 09:06:25 pm »
I've had the same paper driving licence for a third of a century, and it is valid for another 5  years or so. It doesn't have a photo, and even 30 years ago that was fun when renting a car. Nowadays it is fun when companies say I can use it at proof of ID.

The only official photo document I have is a nice burgundy passport. Unfortunately that is only valid for another year.

My mother didnt have any photo ID for at least a decade. Fortunately we were able to "prove" her ID by other means.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101615 on: September 13, 2021, 09:13:51 pm »
Hmm just had a nap and some lucid dreams and as a side effect invented a completely new form of piracy!

Interesting evening so far  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101616 on: September 13, 2021, 09:14:29 pm »
Oh, and some TE. I finally succumbed and bought a Fluke 27, from the batch of near-new-ones that was mentioned here some time ago. It's on its way to Erlanger now.

Pic from ad:

Oooooh nice. Do they have any more left?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #101617 on: September 13, 2021, 09:22:29 pm »

It's actually a bit arrogant to assume that a local driver's license should be acceptable ID at any international border, IMO; the fact that Canada and Mexico have done so for so long is only due to strongarming from US interests. It's not like a passport is that hard to get; even my kids have them and my dad has had one all his adult life as he travels a lot but does not drive.

mnem
 :blah:

You know, you're so good at flinging bullshit that I want you to prove that statement with hard facts.

I'm waiting.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #101618 on: September 13, 2021, 09:22:36 pm »

My military ID was not. For some reason they did not get it qualified as an official ID document. But, since it is for all practical purposes as secure as an official ID, and, like your firearms license, a lot harder to get, most people accepted it as such anyway.
How long ago ?
We have a Mil base we supply to some 800km away and a few years back they gave us the grand tour but the last time we were there delivering stuff we couldn't get inside the gates even to do a business drop off.  |O
So our contact just met us at the gate rather than go through a week of paperwork just to get us a pass.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 09:38:14 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101619 on: September 13, 2021, 09:23:26 pm »
Hmm just had a nap and some lucid dreams and as a side effect invented a completely new form of piracy!

Interesting evening so far  >:D

Don't forget the bandana and the eyepatch.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101620 on: September 13, 2021, 09:34:28 pm »
Years ago, there was the most incredible series of traffic offenses commited in Ireland by one particular Polish driver named Prawo Jazdy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7899171.stm
Such a fiend! And managed probably even to change sex and age at will! I fear that there are more of them where this one was coming from..
 :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #101621 on: September 13, 2021, 09:51:03 pm »
If someone is interested in this new voltage reference from Analog Devices, the ADR1000AHZ,
please check out this posting in the Metrology section.

Edit:
Link/URL fixed.  :palm:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:39:20 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #101622 on: September 13, 2021, 09:52:39 pm »

Oooooh nice. Do they have any more left?

I'm afraid not, it was advertised as the last one.  |O

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #101623 on: September 13, 2021, 09:59:51 pm »

Yes, I am fully vaccinated but I still can't visit you fine folks in the GWN. I don't have a passport and I have yet to upgrade my license id to what's called "ESL" so I can cross the border. I've been meaning to upgrade but the Covid shutdown put the stop to that for now.

Oh right, I need to take care of that passport thing too...

I did not know there was a license rating to cross a border.
Gurrgle only shows ESLE results for English as a Second Language...

Ah! Thanks for that.  So that is the sort of thing that Ontario was proposing to put in place.
NM, they actually tried it, then cancelled it in 2019...

Here in the US you'll eventually need an "enhanced ID" for flying domestically. They keep changing the implementation date.

I did have a passport at one time but it's long since expired. I had left it at a woman's house. After breaking up with said woman I realized I left it there. I send her an e-mail asking her to send it to me. She did. Cut up in multiple pieces. I think she was mad.  :-DD 

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #101624 on: September 13, 2021, 10:02:03 pm »

How long ago ?
We have a Mil base we supply to some 800km away and a few years back they gave us the grand tour but the last time we were there delivering stuff we couldn't get inside the gates even to do a business drop off.  |O
So our contact just met us at the gate rather than go through a week of paperwork just to get us a pass.  ::)

Oh, it was perfectly fine to use the mil-ID at bases, you got in no questions asked, if it was a base that did not have a "Allowed Visitors List". The more interesting ones do have one, and then it might be an offense to even go up to the gate and ask nicely... Of course I always was on official business, and I always had an appointment with someone on the inside, to be able to justify my presence. No monkeying around. Play by the rules. The guards have lots of guns (typically a Glock and a FN C carbine, sometimes a FN MAG as backup..) and extensive training to use them...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf