Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14965798 times)

Gertjan, Vince, Robert763 and 124 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #103900 on: October 02, 2021, 01:37:17 am »
So the 2016 version of Acronis did the trick and the brain transplant of the Tektronix was a success  :-+

Nice save.  :)

But LOL Keysight did the 2018 Cal on it.  :o
Could you ever trust it ?  :P

Just 3 years ago ... you are joking right ? SpecAn don't drift that much. And I will be able to double check the 10MHz ref with my rubidium reference anyway. Pretty sure it's still spot on.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #103901 on: October 02, 2021, 01:40:33 am »
Oooooh.... shiny....  8)

Glad you could save it. Hope it's smarter than it usedta be.  ;)

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103902 on: October 02, 2021, 01:44:37 am »
I got in on that evilbay sale of the Fluke 27/AN meters; listed at $150, offered $130 and it was accepted, so wound up getting it for about $150 after shipping and paying the .gov's cut.  It arrived today.  Pretty sure it's brand spankin' new old stock - don't think it was ever out of the box.  It includes the 6 kV and 40 kV probes, the RF probe, an operator's manual and a service manual complete with schematics and parts list.
      A few more pics at: https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/Fluke-27AN-Meter

(Of course I don't have any 9V batteries handy; need to get one tomorrow.)

According to the listing, there are still more than ten left.  https://photos.smugmug.com/Electronics/Fluke-27AN-Meter/i-6zzCL8P/0/9350235a/X2/Fluke%2027_AN%20Kit%20-%20Cpl-X2.jpg
NAWTS, but if you'd like a like new 27/AN, go for it.

-Pat

Damn, can't stop thinking about this deal. Could replace my crappy Simpson high voltage probe I had to modify to work with 10Mohm meters. I might have to extend an offer on Monday  :palm:

Dave did a video on the Fluke 27 a while ago
That's much too nice a hammer for the likes of me.  >:D

But still... dang. Wonder if we can do a gang-up and save on shipping, or if the dimensional weight would make it worse...

mnem
volt-mutts unite!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103903 on: October 02, 2021, 01:56:46 am »
I got in on that evilbay sale of the Fluke 27/AN meters; listed at $150, offered $130 and it was accepted, so wound up getting it for about $150 after shipping and paying the .gov's cut.  It arrived today.  Pretty sure it's brand spankin' new old stock - don't think it was ever out of the box.  It includes the 6 kV and 40 kV probes, the RF probe, an operator's manual and a service manual complete with schematics and parts list.

According to the listing, there are still more than ten left.  https://photos.smugmug.com/Electronics/Fluke-27AN-Meter/i-6zzCL8P/0/9350235a/X2/Fluke%2027_AN%20Kit%20-%20Cpl-X2.jpg

-Pat

Damn, can't stop thinking about this deal. Could replace my crappy Simpson high voltage probe I had to modify to work with 10Mohm meters. I might have to extend an offer on Monday  :palm:

That's much too nice a hammer for the likes of me.  >:D

But still... dang. Wonder if we can do a gang-up and save on shipping, or if the dimensional weight would make it worse...

mnem
volt-mutts unite!

look like we would save 15$. probably more expensive to reship in Canada.

I really don't understand Canada post. It's cheaper to ship something in Germany than my own city. Go figure.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103904 on: October 02, 2021, 02:08:23 am »
Haaa the cellphone translator. The necessary tool when you buy from far far away.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Zucca, BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #103905 on: October 02, 2021, 02:23:57 am »
freudian slip
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294413267346

It almost looks intentionally humourous.... it is spelt that way throughout the ad, not just one instance  :-DD

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103906 on: October 02, 2021, 02:36:13 am »

Urrrggghhh...

Trying my hand at some really contorted design work; a 3DP adapter to put my Kobalt packs on a Makita SawzAll I bought at the thrift a while back.

Am I doing the smart, easy thing, and making it by slapping an existing adapter from ThingiVerse onto a simple block that I can screw into place?

Of course not.

I'm starting all over from scratch, and making it so the new adapter nests inside the existing slides of the Makita, because my calipers say it will fit with at least 2mm of meat on all dimensions to hold it together. |O

mnem
you may all now point and jeer at the cwazy ol' dwagon... :o

Far from that, dwagon!
It is a very neat solution to a problem!

I have something similar to ponder with a battery pack for a Yaesu FT411 handheld ham radio.
I opened the existing pack, removed the old, dead NiCads, & temporarily "bodged in" two 9v alkaline batteries in parallel to check that the radio (ex Hamfest) works.

This is functional, but clunky, & it looks like it was chewed by a crocodile, from my battle to open the quite securely glued thing.
A nice 3DP case that I could fit a "shop bought" battery holder into would be sweet.

Not having the requisite printer, I will have to go with "bodge", or buy some "after-market" packs off eBay.(still a lot cheaper than a 3D printer).

That said, once you have the printer, you can do things the way you want, & fast, without the aggravation of waiting for it to appear in the mail.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 02:38:02 am by vk6zgo »

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #103907 on: October 02, 2021, 02:45:19 am »

-Pat

I have been thinking about it too.
On Sunday, I should be able to confirm if the Tektronix RM564 is placed into safe hands, with eventual exchange to me.
That means I will need HV probes to work on that scope, at least that could be my excuse.

-- Makes mental note to research if such probes would actually be useful, or whether I am making an excuse to upgrade some gear...

EDIT:  Later saw the dwagon's response.  Maybe I could play the intermediary?  Pre-COVID, I would travel often to Longueuil for work.  Just need the appropriate excuse to go.
In the other direction, I assume I need to go towards dwagon territory, pending the RM564.  Maybe ask the seller for a bulk rate for 3 units...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 03:04:59 am by cyclin_al »

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #103908 on: October 02, 2021, 02:59:39 am »

Urrrggghhh...

Trying my hand at some really contorted design work; a 3DP adapter to put my Kobalt packs on a Makita SawzAll I bought at the thrift a while back.

Am I doing the smart, easy thing, and making it by slapping an existing adapter from ThingiVerse onto a simple block that I can screw into place?

Of course not.

I'm starting all over from scratch, and making it so the new adapter nests inside the existing slides of the Makita, because my calipers say it will fit with at least 2mm of meat on all dimensions to hold it together. |O

mnem

Far from that, dwagon!

I have something similar to ponder with a battery pack for a Yaesu FT411 handheld ham radio.
I opened the existing pack, removed the old, dead NiCads, & temporarily "bodged in" two 9v alkaline batteries in parallel to check that the radio (ex Hamfest) works.

This is functional, but clunky, & it looks like it was chewed by a crocodile, from my battle to open the quite securely glued thing.
A nice 3DP case that I could fit a "shop bought" battery holder into would be sweet.

Not having the requisite printer, I will have to go with "bodge", or buy some "after-market" packs off eBay.(still a lot cheaper than a 3D printer).

That said, once you have the printer, you can do things the way you want, & fast, without the aggravation of waiting for it to appear in the mail.

I have a Yaesu VX-5, which came with a battery and a separate battery holder for 3xAAs.
A quick google indicates there are separate battery holders available for the FT411.

EDIT:  Back to the original post topic, that latest adapter revision is looking very sleek and elegant!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 03:06:13 am by cyclin_al »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #103909 on: October 02, 2021, 03:29:04 am »

Urrrggghhh...

Of course not.

mnem

Far from that, dwagon!

Much as the example is a little  :o Take the model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2283707

then point it at someone location/reputation appropriate from here  random Google Search for 3DP services in Perth

so there is a way without ownship
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 03:31:07 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103910 on: October 02, 2021, 03:42:47 am »
      Urrrggghhh...   Trying my hand at some really contorted design work; a 3DP adapter to put my Kobalt packs on a Makita SawzAll I bought at the thrift a while back. Am I doing the smart, easy thing, and making it by slapping an existing adapter from ThingiVerse onto a simple block that I can screw into place?

Of course not.

mnem
Far from that, dwagon!

Yeah, that is the great strength of 3DP; it makes iterative design the purview of the average Joe. You can have your turnaround in hours rather than days, with initial expense of a few hundred $$$ and per iteration cost in pennies.

And usually, every time you revise it's to trim away a bit more fat, so print time and cost per copy is less. Now at 2.25 hours/48 cents filament according to Cura.  ;)

mnem
That reminds me... time to go check on it...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103911 on: October 02, 2021, 05:12:05 am »
Urrghhh... iterative design...  ::)

Done printing, and the part works perfectly... until I put it in the saw and tighten the screws. Then it crumples a bit and the battery binds up.

Just a few areas need to have some relief made in them; nonsymmetrical inconsistencies in the body of the saw that need to be allowed for.

I mean... YAY! Iterative Design!!! :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103912 on: October 02, 2021, 06:15:37 am »
Fairly complete Grid Dip meter in Oz for not to many pesos eBay auction: #294430910612 Needs some love but the coils are where it is at.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #103913 on: October 02, 2021, 08:15:26 am »
freudian slip
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294413267346

It almost looks intentionally humourous.... it is spelt that way throughout the ad, not just one instance  :-DD

Seems likely, since they've also gone to the trouble to photoshop an old CRT onto the LCD screen.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103914 on: October 02, 2021, 01:06:09 pm »
Testing Testing, anyone there?

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103915 on: October 02, 2021, 01:11:36 pm »
No, nobody here

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103916 on: October 02, 2021, 01:15:19 pm »
Riddle me this:
What might this strange layout, that looks like it has some things too many and others not enough, be?
Hint: Not all holes will be plated and there will be a ground plane below.
Ultra bonus points: (WIN AS MUCH WASHING MACHINES AS YOU CAN CATCH!)
What crazy construction revelation befell me?
Is it a distributed amplifier?
Indeed it is  ;D
Many thanks to Med, who pointed out these were used on the Tek scopes - I got sucked down that rabbit hole immediately...

Yep, 30MHz distributed vertical amplifier of 12 - 6DK6's used in the Type 545A. The 100MHz Type 585 used a similar design.

Not my pix. Lifted from TekWiki.
[/URL]

A distributed pulse amplifier was made by hp, the model 460A/AR has a dozen vacuum bulbs in the distributed amplifier circuit, the 460B/BR version adds an extra vacuum bulb & the gain control is replaced by a pulse/linear switch. Both require some odd 200Ω cables or adaptors, I've no idea if the connectors are a hp special or not, but they appear to be some kind of oversize shielded banana connector.
They date back to at least 1952; https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Technical/Engineering-General/Archive-Electronics-IDX/IDX/50s/52/Electronics-1952-08-OCR-Page-0101.pdf

Some pictures I saved from ePay of a hp 460AR

And the basic circuit from the 460B manual.

David

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103917 on: October 02, 2021, 01:20:56 pm »
I'm fairly certain the Agilent DMM is the one from this thread where the RAM had died (location & scratches match), has the Chinesium RAM died too.  :-DD
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1365376

David

Another ex-DMM then, or is it worth trying to replace the SRAM with a good quality part? Either way it's way too expensive to interest me.

No idea, it might be an easy fix as was first mentioned, or a PITA if it's not the SRAM, or keeps failing with the same fault  :-// and yes way too much to be of any interest.

Edit: An older 34401A with possibly the same problem (all display segments lit) here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/need-help-for-restoring-an-hp34401a-multimeter/

David
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:54:53 pm by factory »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103918 on: October 02, 2021, 01:35:07 pm »
Nope not here.

Just finished the vice mount and tweaked the fixtures and bits for my welding table to send over the the Waterjet Monday. 8mm Stainless for these. TEA tomorrow I hope and because it's cheaper.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103919 on: October 02, 2021, 02:33:04 pm »
Quick update about my absence and lack of progress on the Dana 5100 DMM.

I was in the US visiting family.  My father had a stroke and this was perhaps my last chance to see him. Hard to know if he will live another 5 days or another 5 years.

I picked up Covid near the end of the trip.   Probably in Kalispell Montana  but maybe SLC.    My pre-flight tests were negative but my Day 2 (home in the UK) test came back positive.   We were also pinged by NHS track and trace, almost certainly from the train trip from London back to Wales.   

Finally feeling well enough to post here.

Rural Montana:

LHR T3  around noon Friday  on our departure day.   There was more staff in the shops than passengers waiting.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 02:35:33 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, wolfy007, ch_scr, beanflying, cyclin_al, syau, AVGresponding

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #103920 on: October 02, 2021, 02:39:26 pm »

I was in the US visiting family.  My father had a stroke and this was perhaps my last chance to see him. Hard to know if he will live another 5 days or another 5 years.

That sucks. Life is a fragile thing. Good that you did get together another time.

I picked up Covid near the end of the trip.   Probably in Kalispell Montana  but maybe SLC.    My pre-flight tests were negative but my Day 2 (home in the UK) test came back positive.   We were also pinged by NHS track and trace, almost certainly from the train trip from London back to Wales.   

We'll not out of this by far yet, but it's getting manageable to some degree. Good to read you're somewhat through.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103921 on: October 02, 2021, 03:01:37 pm »
Ditto here. Good to see you "on the other side".

mnem
Welcome home.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103922 on: October 02, 2021, 03:14:03 pm »

Sorry to hear about your father, good job that you did return home then. Also a bummer that you managed to contact Covid, but great news that you're beating it into submission. Sadly though, I fear that it is going to be around a lot longer yet, cases once again seem on the increase since schools have reopened again which was of course completely predictable.

Hope you continue to get better and look forward to your contributions again here, it has been a slow weekend so far.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #103923 on: October 02, 2021, 03:19:45 pm »
Andrew, sorry to hear about your father and contracting Covid but glad you are recovering and back home safe.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #103924 on: October 02, 2021, 03:28:58 pm »
Working on the mini 212. This is the PSU board. I verified all transistors, diodes, zeners, and tants on this board are OK. Taking it slowly. This set up is the always on AC section that charges the batteries. I put the batteries on ceramic plates and have a fire extinguisher at the ready in case there was flames. I'm happy to report this section of the PSU is working and charging the batteries. Next step is to attempt to power up the inverter section with no load to see if it comes up.

This board is an real hazard to work on. It has AC in several places plus the board floats. In reality I should have it on an isolation transformer but even then it's a shock hazard. I connect the 87 before plugging the PSU and freaking stand back.  :scared: :scared:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf