Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14956123 times)

dazz1 (+ 1 Hidden) and 184 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #120800 on: May 26, 2022, 07:02:39 pm »
 :o

Looking at all those nasty pictures and, erm, sort of heated "discussions", here is some contrary programme from Qwertee (NAWTS):

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #120801 on: May 26, 2022, 07:05:51 pm »
Did some more stripping of the nasty paint on the Dynaco bookshelf speakers I mentioned in the 'what did you buy today' thread.  Not sure what possessed someone to paint them that ugly yellow-tan color, but so far the areas I've stripped look decent and re-finishable.

-Pat

If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, dl6lr, DH7DN

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120802 on: May 26, 2022, 07:09:33 pm »
was hoping to see results from people cutting the tops off of transistor cans and actually using them as phototransistors.

BUT the thread has taken a turn.......to monkeys assholes.

I did play with that today. I got a 1:10 ratio between dark and light  collector-emitter current (similar to hFE then, if that's any relevant ?! ).... I think, because soon it stopped working, don't know what I did. I guess poking the die directly with my SMD sharp probe tip got the best of that transistor eventually !  :(

Used to do that with the old OC series transistors. They were basically glass envelopes which were painted black. You could just scratch off the black paint and you had a phototransistor. Also somewhat more resilient to damage than decapping the cans. Not quite as much fun though as staring at the die of something.

Wonder if this was photosensitive after the decap with sidecutters  :-DD :

LM723 - burned up bond wire :(

Don't know about that, but we used to repair several types of air-con controllers at work, we had one that was dead on arrival, which started working when the sticker blocking the EPROM window was removed, closing the controller door and it stopped working again.

David

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120803 on: May 26, 2022, 07:12:17 pm »
was hoping to see results from people cutting the tops off of transistor cans and actually using them as phototransistors.

I did play with that today. I got a 1:10 ratio between dark and light  collector-emitter current (similar to hFE then, if that's any relevant ?! ).... I think, because soon it stopped working, don't know what I did. I guess poking the die directly with my SMD sharp probe tip got the best of that transistor eventually !  :(

Used to do that with the old OC series transistors. They were basically glass envelopes which were painted black. You could just scratch off the black paint and you had a phototransistor. Also somewhat more resilient to damage than decapping the cans. Not quite as much fun though as staring at the die of something.

Even before I got this far down the thread I'd remembered that there was a thing for a while of taking the caps off ceramic packaged CMOS DRAM and using them as camera sensors. Saw one on a BBC micro once. A web search turned this up
https://hackaday.com/2014/04/05/taking-pictures-with-a-dram-chip/
Mind you back then a 64k DRAM chip wasn't cheap.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #120804 on: May 26, 2022, 07:12:56 pm »

Don't know about that, but we used to repair several types of air-con controllers at work, we had one that was dead on arrival, which started working when the sticker blocking the EPROM window was removed, closing the controller door and it stopped working again.

David

The EPROM was obviously scared of the dark!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #120805 on: May 26, 2022, 07:17:47 pm »
Wow looks beautiful.. must have cost a fortune to assemble/manufacture !  :scared:

BB stuff was never cheap!

More examples https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2015/07/07/images-of-late-70s-burr-brown-thick-film-hybrid-ics/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120806 on: May 26, 2022, 07:19:54 pm »

Disconnected power supply, input protection (photo)diodes providing just enough current for operation?
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #120807 on: May 26, 2022, 07:27:08 pm »
Wow looks beautiful.. must have cost a fortune to assemble/manufacture !  :scared:

If you like to watch pictures of semiconductor dies, then you should check out Richis Lab.

Here is an example from a Motorola 2N3055 transistor. What I really like about those pictures about power transistors is that one can see the barrier layer, because Richi is driving them in reverse mode and then the B-E diode becomes a Zener.

B-E diode working as a Zener at 300mA:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120808 on: May 26, 2022, 07:29:26 pm »
Even before I got this far down the thread I'd remembered that there was a thing for a while of taking the caps off ceramic packaged CMOS DRAM and using them as camera sensors. Saw one on a BBC micro once. A web search turned this up

Yes we had one of those at my school which was discarded. Think it was Beebug or WE branded. I wrote a motion detector using pixel averaging for it in BBC BASIC with a little bit of 6502 assembly. It wasn't much use for anything else :-DD

Circa 1982-83 shot of bd139 at work on a fresh beeb :scared:. My poor father never got near it.

Where did all that hair go...

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, Mortymore, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #120809 on: May 26, 2022, 07:33:43 pm »

Yes we had one of those at my school which was discarded. Think it was Beebug or WE branded. I wrote a motion detector using pixel averaging for it in BBC BASIC with a little bit of 6502 assembly. It wasn't much use for anything else :-DD

Circa 1982-83 shot of bd139 at work on a fresh beeb :scared:. My poor father never got near it.

Wandering off to other parts of the body, I assume ...

:-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #120810 on: May 26, 2022, 07:33:49 pm »
I'm thinkin' that's the way you look today reading this thread, but without the hair.  :-DD

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120811 on: May 26, 2022, 07:34:07 pm »

More examples https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2015/07/07/images-of-late-70s-burr-brown-thick-film-hybrid-ics/

Hmmm.... you have me intrigued now.... were there only 10 months in a year in BB times ? Did November and December disappear in a black hole or some worm hole or something ?! :scared:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120812 on: May 26, 2022, 07:35:25 pm »
I'm thinkin' that's the way you look today reading this thread, but without the hair.  :-DD

Wandering off to other parts of the body, I assume ...

Yep  :( :-DD

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120813 on: May 26, 2022, 07:37:58 pm »

It's right there in front of you BD ! Look between the keys of your K/B.. you have been pulling all those hairs above that K/B while trying to keep the internet together in the recent years !  :-DD
Thanks for your sacrifice, I appreciate very much.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120814 on: May 26, 2022, 07:40:33 pm »

If you like to watch pictures of semiconductor dies, then you should check out Richis Lab.

Here is an example from a Motorola 2N3055 transistor. What I really like about those pictures about power transistors is that one can see the barrier layer, because Richi is driving them in reverse mode and then the B-E diode becomes a Zener.

Wow, looks cool ! Like a night shot of car headlight on a road with a long exposure time ! 8)

So it can be Zener... I want to try that. I have x6 2N3055 here... if I take apart my Aircraft / Missile Matra 3 phase inverter to pieces that is ! Oh, choices, choices....  :scared:

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120815 on: May 26, 2022, 07:47:25 pm »

Hmmm.... you have me intrigued now.... were there only 10 months in a year in BB times ? Did November and December disappear in a black hole or some worm hole or something ?! :scared:

Artists' conceptual pictures; worthless :(

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120816 on: May 26, 2022, 07:51:19 pm »
On the annual suspension renovation subject, the car's now been supplied with new front ABS rings, new front right sensor, new front control arms, and been bolted together and test driven. Both ABS and traction control improved back to working, and handling also restored.   :phew:

Remaining are rear shocks and springs, oil change and MOT.

Great. Just let me know when you're ready and you can do mine.  :)
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120817 on: May 26, 2022, 07:53:39 pm »

It's right there in front of you BD ! Look between the keys of your K/B.. you have been pulling all those hairs above that K/B while trying to keep the internet together in the recent years !  :-DD
Thanks for your sacrifice, I appreciate very much.

Same kid? The glasses...the hair.  :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120818 on: May 26, 2022, 07:54:26 pm »
Problem is, it does not matter how much I ask... I am not the one developing the S/W so I have to make do with what's out there, like everyone else.
I am happy that you are happy... I am not and wil never be by the way IT is going. t me computers have long stopped being interesting and fun... now they are just a necessary evil to me, that I try to live with, spend as little time as possible messing with as it's not enjoyable, and spend as little money on them as possible. My PC is 15 years old and if I could I would keep it another 15 or 30 years. Sadly it's starting to look less and less feasible due to S/W bloat and this race for silly high picture and movie resolutions / bandwidth.  The race for clock speed stagnated, so now they have invented a new race, for pixels, to keep the industry going  :-\

I think you're the customer flagellating themselves with the doomsaying sign to be fair. A huge amount of progress has been made. It's worth swimming a bit upstream and enjoying it.

As for pixels, I really have to disagree there. The biggest improvements for me recently have been displays. I have invested in the two best computer displays available at the moment. They are, without hyperbole or exaggeration, fairly life changing. Another hobby is photography you see...

The problem I have with the larger screens (TV or computer) is motion sickness, can't play modern games on this 24" monitor for very long at all, same with watching the large TV at my brothers place, the deliberate shaky camera shit in some films & TV programmes doesn't help.  :--

David
You can't play video games on the cheap office/fleet-duty monitors. If you're lucky they're good for 60hz. Even at that pitiful refresh rate, they tear and blur like crazy. You don't always get a good monitor by throwing money at the problem; but unless you win the closeout lottery, you don't get good without paying a fair bit for it.  Same is true of most TVs... they make horrible monitors in most cases, even for game consoles.

mnem
moo. or don't.

Maybe I worded that badly last night, I haven't played any really modern PC games, the last PC game I tried was a version of Sega rally, this gave the motion sickness problem on the 24" Samsuck LandfillMaster monitor, that came new with a PC I had built about 15 years ago. A free game some years later had the same effect, as did an update to the MMORPG (aka time-sponge) I played on & off for many years (thankfully there was a option to disable the camera shake effect in that). Youtube videos where no gimbal or imagine stabilisation was used, can have the same effect, as I mentioned some TV programmes & films can have this shit forced on you too.   :palm:
I can only view or play for a short time (say 10mins) before it becomes a potential vomit problem.  |O

I never had this problem with the various 14" port-a-bile CRT based TVs and numerous game consoles I have (Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube & Wii). The Wii was the second last one I bought, Nintendo turned evil & blocked the Gamecube code disc, bastards, therefore I ended up buying a second hand Gamecube to carry on with the older games, I completely lost interest in consoles soon after that.
No one else in family seems to get motion sickness problem with screens, it's just me.

I've no need or space for anything larger than the 24" monitor, anything in this size or smaller seems to be low quality shite these days, for both TVs & monitors. I'll be using the repaired LandfillMaster till it dies completely, will probably go with dumpster find or cheap used monitors then.
Still haven't replaced the GPU due to overpriced cards, following the chipageddon shortages, the only game I really want to play is Shenmue III, maybe need to bring a CRT monitor back from storage.

David

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120819 on: May 26, 2022, 08:00:48 pm »

David

-Pat

Disconnected power supply, input protection (photo)diodes providing just enough current for operation?

No it was powered from the 110V DC bench supply all the time, a freshly programmed replacement EPROM cured it, with door open & closed. I think we joked about fitting a lamp inside, or something like that.

David
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 08:03:13 pm by factory »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #120820 on: May 26, 2022, 08:21:18 pm »
:o

Looking at all those nasty pictures and, erm, sort of heated "discussions", here is some contrary programme from Qwertee (NAWTS):

Hey, no fair! I've been proselytizing in here since like... 2019 or something!

Fine... I'll raise you:

a    a      a      and a   .

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: factory, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120821 on: May 26, 2022, 08:22:20 pm »

David

-Pat

No it was powered from the 110V DC bench supply all the time, a freshly programmed replacement EPROM cured it, with door open & closed. I think we joked about fitting a lamp inside, or something like that.

David

I was thinking more of PSU disconnection near or in the chip.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #120822 on: May 26, 2022, 08:26:00 pm »
Sillycon die layouts sporting a tennis racquet in one corner have been laid out by a certain Mike from Florida.
Must see if I can find the pics he sent me.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120823 on: May 26, 2022, 08:29:05 pm »

David

-Pat

David

I was thinking more of PSU disconnection near or in the chip.

Who knows it could have been.
There might have been afterwards too, with some over-voltage abuse, or the X-ray deviceᵀᴹ.
Also used to enjoy treating troublesome EPROMs with a Megger, it did wonders for the radio* reception, much to the annoyance of my co-workers. >:D

*before the great radio & music player ban, of a few years ago.

David
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 08:33:35 pm by factory »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120824 on: May 26, 2022, 08:30:05 pm »

OK just sacrificed a 2N3055 and tried the same experiment. Doesn't work, die doesn't light up. VERY disappointed !  :-//   :(

Maybe it can't be seen with the naked eye, or it needs a long exposure time to gather sufficient light, or it requires a special version of the 2N3055, I don't know.
All I can say it that it didn't work on my particular transistor, and I now have one less 2N3055, he died for nothing. I am sad now.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al, syau

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf