Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14974750 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #124075 on: June 24, 2022, 08:05:11 pm »
The point is that it is unwise to act on the presumption that future variants won't be a major problem.

Which is why I said "will tend to" rather than "will". There was no presumption, just a expression of likelihood based on knowing what tends to happen with viruses.

Plus we are all a couple of years older, and that translates to a 25% higher risk (I.e. doubles every 6 years)

You might be a couple of years older, but the collective we, the population, isn't.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124076 on: June 24, 2022, 08:09:44 pm »
We're all fucked at some point. It's just about controlling how soon as best as possible.

Just found out how much Russia fucked my pension today. 3 years of contributions down the shitter. I've just shit canned all contributions to it in the short term and will spend it on beer, floozies, scopes and power supplies  8)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, duckduck

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #124077 on: June 24, 2022, 08:13:24 pm »
Quick experiments on measuring noise.
So conclusions:

1. Digital scopes are shite for measuring RMS noise using traditional methods.
2. They might be ok using direct RMS measurements but that would need validating.
3. Buy a power or RMS voltmeter with thermal RMS sensor and an analogue scope
4. Noise is difficult to measure and you must consider instrument bandwidth.
::)
FFS use the RMS measurement, that's what it's there for.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124078 on: June 24, 2022, 08:18:05 pm »
We're all fucked at some point. It's just about controlling how soon as best as possible.

Just found out how much Russia fucked my pension today. 3 years of contributions down the shitter. I've just shit canned all contributions to it in the short term and will spend it on beer, floozies, scopes and power supplies  8)

So the standard reply to:

Interviewer: Mr. Bloke how are you going to spend your lottery winings?
Mr. Bloke: Well, I'll spend most of it on booze and women, and the rest I'll just fritter away.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124079 on: June 24, 2022, 08:28:40 pm »
So conclusions:

2. They might be ok using direct RMS measurements but that would need validating.

I did as noted. But the point is noise measurement is harder than that as the overall noise power is a function of bandwidth and all measurement devices have different bandwidth and sampling effects. For example the generator was set for 1V RMS noise, but the Siglent measures 666mV RMS noise. Now is that because the generator has a limited ability to generate noise at each frequency or is it the rolloff from the scope or is it because of the discrete sampling in the scope?

I'm interested in testing this against an analogue noise generator and a thermal RMS voltmeter and analogue scope to compare measurements as a project.

Then I want to normalise the measurement bandwidth via a low pass network within the scope of each instrument and see if it registers the same overall noise power.

Through some deduction that should give a better understanding of measuring noise power with non frequency domain instruments at least.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124080 on: June 24, 2022, 08:29:27 pm »

Mr. Bloke: Well, I'll spend most of it on booze and women, and the rest I'll just fritter away.

Nailed it.

On that note, have two meals out booked next week with the latter  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #124081 on: June 24, 2022, 08:37:32 pm »

Nailed it.

https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

;D ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #124082 on: June 24, 2022, 08:38:20 pm »
So conclusions:

I did as noted. But the point is noise measurement is harder than that as the overall noise power is a function of bandwidth and all measurement devices have different bandwidth and sampling effects. For example the generator was set for 1V RMS noise, but the Siglent measures 666mV RMS noise. Now is that because the generator has a limited ability to generate noise at each frequency or is it the rolloff from the scope or is it because of the discrete sampling in the scope?

I'm interested in testing this against an analogue noise generator and a thermal RMS voltmeter and analogue scope to compare measurements as a project.

Then I want to normalise the measurement bandwidth via a low pass network within the scope of each instrument and see if it registers the same overall noise power.

Through some deduction that should give a better understanding of measuring noise power with non frequency domain instruments at least.
You say these things however in the post about it you only show p-p measurements.
Maybe you should start a thread on Noise spec measurements from various AWG and DSO's....there might be AWG or DSO bugs yet to be found.

Back to chainsawing today after getting rained out yesterday.  :horse:
Still, it was nice to swing on my big bertha chainsaw which hadn't been used in anger for a couple of years and now the 5' tree is down it can go back into stowage until needed again....big heavy brute of a thing.
I'll get a pic later....
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124083 on: June 24, 2022, 08:40:23 pm »
So conclusions:

You say these things however in the post about it you only show p-p measurements.
Maybe you should start a thread on Noise spec measurements from various AWG and DSO's....there might be AWG or DSO bugs yet to be found.

Back to chainsawing today after getting rained out yesterday.  :horse:
Still, it was nice to swing on my big bertha chainsaw which hadn't been used in anger for a couple of years and now the 5' tree is down it can go back into stowage until needed again....big heavy brute of a thing.
I'll get a pic later....

Oops forgot that picture. here you go:

I'll raise a bug if I can't normalise a measurement first.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #124084 on: June 24, 2022, 08:41:10 pm »

Not just Russia, it is the omnicrisis.

At this RPI, my pension will halve in value in about 7 years. And I can't do anything to improve that.

I should become a millionaire next week. Unfortunately since I have a daughter, that will only last a month or so.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124085 on: June 24, 2022, 08:41:34 pm »

Nailed it.

https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

;D ;D

Only the stupid persist after being burned :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124086 on: June 24, 2022, 08:44:25 pm »
Starting to dig into and sort my IC's.

After only 2 minutes I am already pulling my hair out.

Got  chip marked 74HCT4060  :o

4060 is 4000 series CMOS of course... and 74HCT is.. well 74 series. Two different things. How can I see both merged into one single part number ! Is it a 4060 or a 74 chip ?!

I thought things were simple, clear.. and now I have this hybrid of a chip  |O

So I ha d alook on Wikipedia to see the list of 74 chips....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_7400-series_integrated_circuits

I should not have looked, I should not have... really really not...

My old book on ICs lists like 75 chips for the 4000 series and about the same for TTL Chips..... but wikipedia says there are now HUNDREDS of chips !!!!!  :scared:

Says the 74 series "borrowed" (STOLE !) some chips from the 4000 CMOS family... and vice versa.

So how do I sort these hybrids ! I cut the chips in two halves with angle grinder and I put one halve in the 74 drawer and the other half in the 4000 series drawer ?!   :palm:

I HATE chip manufacturers !!!!  :scared:

I am starting to admire people who work in libraries, that try to organize and categorize books, and decide on what shelve they will put them on :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124087 on: June 24, 2022, 08:44:49 pm »
The good news is that newer variants on Covid-19 will tend to be less virulent. A virus that kills its host, or disables so much that they take to their beds is a bad virus (as in "bad at being a virus", or "not good at it's job"), the death or voluntary isolation stops the virus spreading. Thus only relatively benign viruses have the wherewithal to be truly "successful" viruses. Evolution breeds excessive virulence out of viruses.

Like myxamotisis?

Understand the trajectory of myxamatosis https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/20/science/myxoma-virus-rabbits-covid.html

You're asking for a long, long dad joke that starts "A rabbit went into a bar...".

Not all viruses get less harmful over time as they mutate, but most do. For any infectious disease (or parasitic disease) to kill its host and survive itself it must either be (1) both highly virulent and highly infectious, or (2) take a long time to kill its host (e.g. rabies, syphilis), or (3) have a complex lifecycle involving multiple hosts, some of which it is harmless to (e.g. malaria), or (4) be capable of surviving for a long time without a host (e.g. sporulating infections like anthrax).

Selection pressure in most cases selects for less virulent and more infectious organisms. Simple probability says that random mutations that affect one aspect of harm (infectiousness, virulence, target species, complex life cycle, and so on) are more likely than random mutations that simultaneously affect two or more aspects. Simple probability also does not exclude this happening, just makes it less likely.

Yup.

Just as the new influenza variant just over a century ago was much nastier than its predecessors. That might happen with covid, or might not. This month's variants appear to hit the depths of the lungs more easily and harder, hence the rise in hospitalisations. Next month's?

The point is that it is unwise to act on the presumption that future variants won't be a major problem.

Plus we are all a couple of years older, and that translates to a 25% higher risk (I.e. doubles every 6 years)
Until the WHO says that we can all back to normal living again, I'm 73 now and well aware that I'm in the at risk category and that the risk is going to grow all the time as we age, I intend to keep my guard up and think that we all should do so. Just because our stupid Government no longer talk about it for their own greedy self-serving agenda, it sickens me to see that most of the public think its all over and done with and have stopped all of their precautions. Hence, why we are seeing this rise in cases since the Jubilee celebrations with mass get togethers acting as spreader events and more events coming up like Glastonbury etc which will be putting more of the elderly population at risk, particular those in care homes etc. We never seem to learn from past mistakes   :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #124088 on: June 24, 2022, 08:46:23 pm »

Poor counters can’t get no love….  :'(

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124089 on: June 24, 2022, 08:46:55 pm »

At this RPI, my pension will halve in value in about 7 years. And I can't do anything to improve that.

I should become a millionaire next week. Unfortunately since I have a daughter, that will only last a month or so.

Omnicrisis is a good way of putting it.

Similar situation. Alas it's mostly in liquid cash at the moment as it's being consolidated and moved around so when it's in the bank account it's just burning. It worked out better to pay a year's rent in the new place up front than pay monthly. I'll buy something else next year and move into that and ride it for as long as possible.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #124090 on: June 24, 2022, 08:47:45 pm »

4060 is 4000 series CMOS of course... and 74HCT is.. well 74 series. Two different things. How can I see both merged into one single part number ! Is it a 4060 or a 74 chip ?!

My old book on ICs lists like 75 chips for the 4000 series and about the same for TTL Chips..... but wikipedia says there are now HUNDREDS of chips !!!!!  :scared:

Says the 74 series "borrowed" (STOLE !) some chips from the 4000 CMOS family... and vice versa.

So how do I sort these hybrids ! I cut the chips in two halves with angle grinder and I put one halve in the 74 drawer and the other half in the 4000 series drawer ?!   :palm:

I am starting to admire people who work in libraries, that try to organize and categorize books, and decide on what shelve they will put them on :palm:
74HCT== Hi-speed Cmos Ttl-input-levels

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124091 on: June 24, 2022, 08:51:29 pm »
The good news is that newer variants on Covid-19 will tend to be less virulent. A virus that kills its host, or disables so much that they take to their beds is a bad virus (as in "bad at being a virus", or "not good at it's job"), the death or voluntary isolation stops the virus spreading. Thus only relatively benign viruses have the wherewithal to be truly "successful" viruses. Evolution breeds excessive virulence out of viruses.

Like myxamotisis?

Understand the trajectory of myxamatosis https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/20/science/myxoma-virus-rabbits-covid.html

You're asking for a long, long dad joke that starts "A rabbit went into a bar...".

Not all viruses get less harmful over time as they mutate, but most do. For any infectious disease (or parasitic disease) to kill its host and survive itself it must either be (1) both highly virulent and highly infectious, or (2) take a long time to kill its host (e.g. rabies, syphilis), or (3) have a complex lifecycle involving multiple hosts, some of which it is harmless to (e.g. malaria), or (4) be capable of surviving for a long time without a host (e.g. sporulating infections like anthrax).

Selection pressure in most cases selects for less virulent and more infectious organisms. Simple probability says that random mutations that affect one aspect of harm (infectiousness, virulence, target species, complex life cycle, and so on) are more likely than random mutations that simultaneously affect two or more aspects. Simple probability also does not exclude this happening, just makes it less likely.

Yup.

Just as the new influenza variant just over a century ago was much nastier than its predecessors. That might happen with covid, or might not. This month's variants appear to hit the depths of the lungs more easily and harder, hence the rise in hospitalisations. Next month's?

Until the WHO says that we can all back to normal living again, I'm 73 now and well aware that I'm in the at risk category and that the risk is going to grow all the time as we age, I intend to keep my guard up and think that we all should do so. Just because our stupid Government no longer talk about it for their own greedy self-serving agenda, it sickens me to see that most of the public think its all over and done with and have stopped all of their precautions. Hence, why we are seeing this rise in cases since the Jubilee celebrations with mass get togethers acting as spreader events and more events coming up like Glastonbury etc which will be putting more of the elderly population at risk, particular those in care homes etc. We never seem to learn from past mistakes   :palm:

Indeed, but I'm not sure of the motivation. At some stage we will have to pay the interest on all the money spent during lockdown. It could be that They are refusing to loan the UK money on ter!s that are as favourable as in the past.

I was going to add a snarky joke/observation about this week's news, but that would be too close to being political.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124092 on: June 24, 2022, 08:51:59 pm »

Actually the thing here is really good. The old 4000 series were slow as hell, fragile and had incompatibilities with other logic families. Some genius came along and said "hey if we do HCT then they get faster chips that work with TTL and go in the same sockets and don't blow up or suffer from migration deaths quite as quickly" thus the 74HC4060 counter was born.

Personally the old CMOS 4000 series are DEAD other than the CD4007 which is still quite useful as it's basically uncommitted MOSFET inverter which can be snuck into various analogue circuits.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh, cyclin_al, syau

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124093 on: June 24, 2022, 08:53:10 pm »

-Pat

I'm in the market for some counters  :-DD :-DD

5334B, 5316B and 5381A are on the list of acceptable counters.

If anyone guesses the "theme" of those counters, you win bugger all other than my respect :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124094 on: June 24, 2022, 08:57:03 pm »

Similar situation. Alas it's mostly in liquid cash at the moment as it's being consolidated and moved around so when it's in the bank account it's just burning. It worked out better to pay a year's rent in the new place up front than pay monthly. I'll buy something else next year and move into that and ride it for as long as possible.

This week about half my cash is earning 7%. Next week I'll have more cash, but it won't be earning anything like that.

Next year house prices won't go up, and are likely to fall. Doesn't bother me, but sproglet is being forced to buy one within 3 months (no fault eviction, self-employed, with a dog).

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124095 on: June 24, 2022, 09:04:23 pm »

Actually the thing here is really good. The old 4000 series were slow as hell, fragile and had incompatibilities with other logic families. Some genius came along and said "hey if we do HCT then they get faster chips that work with TTL and go in the same sockets and don't blow up or suffer from migration deaths quite as quickly" thus the 74HC4060 counter was born.

Personally the old CMOS 4000 series are DEAD other than the CD4007 which is still quite useful as it's basically uncommitted MOSFET inverter which can be snuck into various analogue circuits.

I don't  understand the comparison between the two ? I mean they are just different things. 4000 series has a voltage range of 3 to 15V. 74HC / HCT if I believe the datasheet I just pulled, is 2 to 6V.
I understand your points, taken...but if I need to supply the logic for whatever reason above 6V, I am screwed with 74-anything.
Or if the circuit doesn't have stable supply voltage and the logic cheap needs to be able to operate with a changing supply voltage ?!  :-//

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:06:16 pm by Vince »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124096 on: June 24, 2022, 09:04:48 pm »

The 4000 series have one nice characteristic: operation at IIRC 3V to 15V

Back in the late 70s I used some to build a fllter with a Q of 4000 using 10% capacitors, capable of measuring 1pW using  bog-standard LF351 op amps, and a dynamic range of 180dB (90dB optical).

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139, ch_scr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124097 on: June 24, 2022, 09:06:16 pm »

This week about half my cash is earning 7%. Next week I'll have more cash, but it won't be earning anything like that.

Next year house prices won't go up, and are likely to fall. Doesn't bother me, but sproglet is being forced to buy one within 3 months (no fault eviction, self-employed, with a dog).

Depends where and what. The market I'm entering, in London, has competition from people downsizing from oversized houses into reasonable ones unfortunately. The prices won't be going down here.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124098 on: June 24, 2022, 09:08:33 pm »
I don't  understand the comparison between the two ? I mean they are just different things. 4000 series has a voltage range of 3 to 15V. 74HC / HCT if I believe the datasheet I just pulled, is 2 to 6V.
I understand your points, taken...but if I need to supply the logic for whatever reason above 6V, I am screwed with 74-anything.
Or if the circuit doesn't have stable supply voltage and the logic cheap needs to be able to operate with a changing supply voltage ?!  :-//

It's probably cheaper now to just chuck a 78L05 in the circuit and be done. That will handle both problems for pocket change.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124099 on: June 24, 2022, 09:11:06 pm »

-Pat

Just curious : the two instruments at the bottom... they have  a mix of period knobs, and next generation plastic knobs found on later HP TE... did HP create these hybrid monsters, they came from the factory like that  ?:!  or did you just put these knobs yourself to replace missing ones ? Not judging... just curious to learn... if HP did that themselves, I wanna know...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf