Author Topic: The Siglent SDG1000 and SDG800 thread  (Read 169281 times)

Offline open loop

• Regular Contributor
Re: The Siglent SDG1000 and SDG800 thread
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2015, 02:27:37 pm »
Just got a sdg1020 as a bit of a repair project, you mention old version and new version. What is the difference and what was the serial number break. Thanks for any responses :-)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2015, 08:03:47 pm »
Just got a sdg1020 as a bit of a repair project, you mention old version and new version. What is the difference and what was the serial number break. Thanks for any responses :-)
Repair?
What are the fault symptoms?

Siglent products have a 3 year warranty, post all but the last 4 SN digits, from that we can tell the build date, it may still be under warranty.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline open loop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2015, 09:20:55 pm »
Hi tautech,

Thanks for getting back, will post a full fault report when I am more awake tomorrow. Bit tired... :=\

Jamieson

« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2015, 02:49:37 am »
Just picked up the SDG805.  Very nice unit!  Nothing on it feels cheap.  The "MOD" menu took a bit of getting used to, but otherwise everything on the GUI is pretty easy to understand.  Outstanding value.  I also appreciate it being FANLESS and SILENT.

Offline ivan747Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2015, 12:05:42 am »
How hot the SDG1010s get? Mine gets fairly hot on the outside. Ambient temperature is 32C

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2015, 08:39:37 am »
How hot the SDG1010s get? Mine gets fairly hot on the outside. Ambient temperature is 32C
I thought you got your digits swapped around there, then noticed your country  ;D

I have the SDG1025 and haven't noticed it running hot, but it does have a fan. I know some of the lower bandwidth models don't have the fan fitted, perhaps it would be wise to fit one in your environment?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2015, 08:57:47 am »
I doubt it will be a problem as it's often that warm in Shenzhen were they're designed.

But with out accurate measurements of internal temps who knows.  :-//

I've never noticed my 1010 AWG get more than barely warm, but a hot day here is only 28C.  :phew:

What settings was it running at the time?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2015, 12:22:06 pm »
Yes, summer is hell around here...

I was generating a simple 32kHz 1Vpp sine wave. The output was slightly loaded but at that voltage that would be in the milliwatts.

A fan wouldn't be a bad idea, when the warranty expires.

Sent from my XT1063 using Tapatalk

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2015, 12:56:05 pm »
Hi,

I just got a SDG1025 SDG1050 unit from Eurofox and was wondering if I should update the firmware. Currently my unit has the .27 version. Is it advisable to update to the latest or does this generate 'mo problems'?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:35:56 am by WVL_KsZeN »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2015, 03:21:10 am »
I have modified my SDG1025 with a TCXO as described in another part of this thread. My TCXO has a stated accuracy of ±0.3ppm. When I use the counter to measure the output of my Rubidium standard I see a maximum error of 0.2ppm. My TCXO is a 50% duty cycle type. The question is, does the SDG1025 need a 50% duty cycle or will it work with a 40/60 duty cycle? Does it use the clock duty cycle as reference for its duty cycle or does it only use the full cycle as a reference? Anyone know?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2015, 09:56:03 am »
Do you own another function generator with a 10MHz input? That would be the easiest way to check. Input a signal like that and check the oscilloscope for any obvious jitter caused by that.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2015, 10:39:32 am »
Hi,

I just got a SDG1025 SDG1050 unit from Eurofox and was wondering if I should update the firmware. Currently my unit has the .27 version. Is it advisable to update to the latest or does this generate 'mo problems'?
Here's the latest:
http://siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDG1000-V100R001B01D01P37R2.zip

One of the latest criticisms is they always boot with the language selection options up first, not a real problem once you have set your language, just hit any other button to bypass the language menu.
I'm sure we'd all like Siglent to change it to default to "last" so we'll have to keep nagging them until they do.  ;)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2015, 04:08:06 pm »
Do you own another function generator with a 10MHz input? That would be the easiest way to check. Input a signal like that and check the oscilloscope for any obvious jitter caused by that.

No, I only have a rubidium clock and that is 50% too. Although it does have a 60MHz signal internally that I might be able to bodge a divider with unequal duty cycle......

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2015, 08:23:28 pm »
Run a microcontroller with the Rb clock, and use the PWM module to create a wave of that duty cycle. The frequency will not be 10MHz but you don't need absolute accuracy.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2015, 09:19:19 pm »
If you divide 60 by 3 and then by 2 you'll get a 50% square wave.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2015, 09:34:08 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have any controllers to program right now.

I am looking for a for a permanent solution internal to the instrument. I already use my rubidium standard as an external reference but would like a better internal solution for the SDG1025.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2015, 01:24:00 am »
@tautech:

Any news yet on after purchase upgrades to higher bandwidth?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2015, 03:36:31 am »
Just a heads up. At a 30.3C ambient temperature I measured (by sticking a thermocouple in the side ventilation holes, making no contact with anything) a temperature of 43.5 degrees C on the BNC side of the unit and a temperature of 48.5C on the LCD sode of the instrument.

That temperature, 48.5C quite high for a case, in my opinion. That's probably coming from the power supply section of the instrument. It's going to affect the capacitors in the long term and could overload the MOSFETs in the switching section of the SMPS if I ever stress the instrument too much.

My unit could really use a fan. I'll probably add one when the warranty expires. And I will keep the case clear of obstructions.

You tell me... Does that sound like a very high system temperature for an instrument design like this one? In a car, this temperature would be normal, but this is sort of a benchtop instrument (yes, there are rack mounts for industrial use, but I don't think it is that robust, really, you tell me...).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:39:30 am by ivan747 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2015, 07:58:25 am »
@tautech:

Any news yet on after purchase upgrades to higher bandwidth?
I personally doubt BW upgrades will be available for the 1000 series as it would necessitate the installation of a fan for many models.
As for the 800 series, I have no idea, sorry.

rf-loop has strong views about BW selection of models based on performance testing after manufacture, component tolerances determining the final BW/model labeling.
I'm inclined to agree with him.

As we all know much equipment is available in several BW's in a series, with the only difference being FW. This is nothing new, manufacturers have been doing this for decades.

So if we do just a little digging we find this very recent pic on Siglent's website from Siglent's stand in Seattle, Washington June 14-17, 2015.

Second from the right is what appears to be an 1000 series AWG.... but what's an already established product doing amongst newly released products?  :-//
Could it be a new AWG......possibly with BW upgrades.  :-//

Honestly I don't know, only those who checked it out in person might.

Let's see if any members that visited can confirm a new Siglent AWG is coming.  :popcorn:

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: July 06, 2015, 08:57:37 am »
I personally doubt BW upgrades will be available for the 1000 series as it would necessitate the installation of a fan for many models.
Then why release a new firmware for the 1000 series with a bandwidth update procedure coded in? Thats a pretty major update to the firmware, more than just bug fixing.
Could it be a new AWG......possibly with BW upgrades.  :-//
Or perhaps they are showcasing the new "upgrade kit" for existing SDG1000s. It is not beyond the typical end users abilities to install a fan.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #170 on: July 06, 2015, 09:40:36 am »
Then why release a new firmware for the 1000 series with a bandwidth update procedure coded in? Thats a pretty major update to the firmware, more than just bug fixing.
Good question, but with what we know of the 1000 series from rf-loop's analysis I don't believe any BW upgrades can be applied across the range. Possibly for fan cooled or non-fan cooled models as 2 sub-groups of the range.  :-//
But if there is a new series to be released, maybe they will share the same FW but only the new series be BW upgradeable.  :-//
Or perhaps they are showcasing the new "upgrade kit" for existing SDG1000s. It is not beyond the typical end users abilities to install a fan.
And open the case while under warranty to install the fan, I wouldn't think so.  :palm:
That's not part of Siglent's MO, you don't have to do stuff like that for units to work as intended.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: July 06, 2015, 12:32:56 pm »
Meh, you can round get that by wearing one of Daves "Warranty VOID if NOT removed" T-shirts while replacing the fan.  ;)

Perhaps the new firmware has more efficient DSP routines that no longer use so much energy and the fan is redundant anyway?

I guess we will wait and see.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2015, 12:58:49 pm »
rf-loop has strong views about BW selection of models based on performance testing after manufacture, component tolerances determining the final BW/model labeling.
I'm inclined to agree with him.
Me not at all. It would indicate poor component choices. And more importantly it would limit the availability of higher end models and could cause an excess of lower specced models in order to fulfill the demand for the higher end models. There is no use in scrapping 10 devices in order to sell one device. Binning after board production would also involve extra logistics and chances for human error to tag the boards and store them in seperate containers.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #173 on: July 06, 2015, 01:45:17 pm »
I think rf-loop might be biased in this regard. I bet there is only one or two variations of the board and that's it. It does need a fan, though.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2015, 05:40:06 pm »
The 50Mhz model costs so much more than the 25Mhz model in scale compared to the other upgrades. I would guess that there is a difference in hardware for that jump. I also see empty locations for parts and cable connectors on mine. I wonder what they are for?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf