Author Topic: Time for a new scope, which one?  (Read 12506 times)

Offline S_Prime

Re: Time for a new scope, which one?
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 12:21:28 pm »
Sure, buy a few of those and mail them to Dave and he'll review them.

Hmmm... Let me think: Buy a few of those + ship them to the other end of the world or get me an Agilent? If this was Sophie's Choice it'd be a very short movie.  :-DD

In all seriousness, I'm sure a couple of those affordable models could be lent from forum members who already own them and live a bit closer to Mr. Jones.
2-3 different models could be bought off eBay if we could all chip in a few bucks so that Mr. Jones can buy them. When the review is over, these could be offered in a forum giveaway.
I'd be willing to send ~$15 via Paypal. We need ~60 more members who'd be willing to do the same, and we have enough for three budget oscilloscopes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:25:16 pm by S_Prime »

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 01:45:25 pm »

2-3 different models could be bought off eBay if we could all chip in a few bucks so that Mr. Jones can buy them. When the review is over, these could be offered in a forum giveaway.
I'd be willing to send ~$15 via Paypal. We need ~60 more members who'd be willing to do the same, and we have enough for three budget oscilloscopes.

You know, that would not be  a bad idea. I would not mind donating a few bucks to the forum to have a product tested. Could be a 6 month deal or so. Then after Dave does his review/teardown, give it away to the forum. I like it.

Offline travellerw

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 03:17:07 am »
I just did the whole "I need my first scope" dance...

I ended up settling on the Rigol DS1052E.. Price/features it just couldn't be beat. On top of that, its still flashable to 100mhz (which I did 5 min after opening it).

My only complaint.. The screen is a little small.. Other than that.. I'm super happy with it.

Offline S_Prime

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 10:49:44 am »
You know, that would not be  a bad idea. I would not mind donating a few bucks to the forum to have a product tested. Could be a 6 month deal or so. Then after Dave does his review/teardown, give it away to the forum. I like it.

Good to know I'm not alone in thinking it'd be worthwhile..  ;)

I ended up settling on the Rigol DS1052E.. Price/features it just couldn't be beat. On top of that, its still flashable to 100mhz (which I did 5 min after opening it).

Congrats on your purchase!

Strange, a friends recently bought one and concluded that newer models are not "hackable" any more.
Guess I'll have to tell him to do some proper research.. ;p

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 11:18:10 am »
3 work benched so need 3 scopes right :   ;D

Of course, basic rule of hobby electronics!  :-+

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 11:34:49 am »
In all seriousness, I'm sure a couple of those affordable models could be lent from forum members who already own them and live a bit closer to Mr. Jones.

I have an open invitation to review/teardown/test/play with any product from Trio Smart Cal just down the road:
www.triosmartcal.com.au
And they usually have all the stuff in stock.
The problem isn't so much getting gear, it's the time and effort it takes to review advanced gear like scopes. And that's on top of my already backlogged list of review items!
I'd love to do a budget scope shootout, it's a just a matter of finding 2-3 days free to do it.
Of course I could try a "simplistic" or "basic" comparison review of the major features, but you know me...  :palm:
But I do plan to be that rigid with my next multimeter shootout - test X features, X time limit on each one, and no tangents.

So if someone was to come up with a list of scopes, and a list of basic features they think would cover the basics, it's doable...

Dave.

Offline moemoe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2013, 12:04:43 pm »
So if someone was to come up with a list of scopes, and a list of basic features they think would cover the basics, it's doable...

Great offer, I just started a thread for this:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dave's-cheatsheet-for-budget-oscilloscope-testing/
https://github.com/maugsburger/
Breadboard Adapters featured in EEVBlog #573 on Tindie

Offline S_Prime

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2013, 03:56:09 pm »
I'd love to do a budget scope shootout, it's a just a matter of finding 2-3 days free to do it.

Looking forward to it! My suggestion/offer still stands if some models cannot be sourced localy.  :-+

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 04:03:38 pm »

I have an open invitation to review/teardown/test/play with any product from Trio Smart Cal just down the road:
www.triosmartcal.com.au
And they usually have all the stuff in stock.
The problem isn't so much getting gear, it's the time and effort it takes to review advanced gear like scopes. And that's on top of my already backlogged list of review items!
Of course I could try a "simplistic" or "basic" comparison review of the major features, but you know me...  :palm:
But I do plan to be that rigid with my next multimeter shootout - test X features, X time limit on each one, and no tangents.

Dave.

Would be nice. I will tell you about the Owon PDS6062 since I used it all week end. The scope works great for 295 bucks. The only problem I see with it is the brightness off the screen.  Like the contrast is turned down to low. Gonna have the grab a schematic and see if there is a way to fix that. Other than that. I give it a thumbs up!   :-+
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:05:52 pm by Radio Tech »

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 05:28:19 pm »
I just bit the bullet and bought a Rigol DS1102E.  Was $399 US with a free case and free shipping.  I'll use it a a basic bench meter since it will display voltages, frequency, and the waveform all at the same time. Been wanting a DMM that will also display on the bench PC and I think for what I want this should do fine so I won't need a DMM with USB.  If I need a real scope I will still use my Tek 465 which also has a DMM built into it.

Offline travellerw

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 08:34:03 pm »
Yes the old Rigol 1052 is still "upgradeable".. Actually its even easier these days. No crazy stuff just apply 1 flash update and you are all good.

The details are on the forum for anyone who wants to search. The scope I just updated came with software version 4.0

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 10:13:41 pm »
Yes the old Rigol 1052 is still "upgradeable".. Actually its even easier these days. No crazy stuff just apply 1 flash update and you are all good.

The details are on the forum for anyone who wants to search. The scope I just updated came with software version 4.0

I am going to buy one of those in the next month myself.  I like the Owon, but I still want a Rigol.

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 11:59:21 pm »
Btw: Why can't people just write reviews? I don't want to be forced to watch 15min video when probably fast reading over some pages could be done in less than 5 minutes.

Don't you think it's rather ironic that you wrote this in a forum which is (fully? partially?) supported by a blog based around video reviews and video articles?  ;)  Seriously though, as the 'author' of the video review you're referring to, I can explain quite clearly why it's in video form instead of written: because I do it for free - in my free time - to help other prospective purchasers of the DSO. Writing would take me (the person who's doing it for free) more time - whereas reading would take you (the person who's getting it for free) less time. Simple, isn't it?  :)

And this review is about 1.5a old, there changed a lot in the firmware since then.

Owon has improved certain aspects of the hardware design in the last 1.5 years (although there appears to be a bad noise problem in the current crop of SDS7102s)- but they haven't added one new important feature that I felt was lacking from the firmware or hardware when I made the review - and they haven't done anything to address the abysmally high blind time at small memory sample sizes. So I feel my review is still completely applicable - otherwise I would pull it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:01:15 pm by marmad »

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 03:52:17 pm »
Owon hasn't introduced any significant scope model since early 2011. Not much innovation at all. Rigol and Agilent are much better at new products...
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf