Poll

Is it time to split up the Test Equipment section of the website?

No, I like it the way it is
83 (42.1%)
Yes, but just a couple of major categories
80 (40.6%)
Yes, I want a category for everything
9 (4.6%)
Meh, whatever
25 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Author Topic: Time to split up the T&M categories?  (Read 14620 times)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Time to split up the T&M categories?
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2019, 06:59:44 pm »
Potentially more sub-forums -> more postings in the "wrong" place -> more work for moderators moving them.

Not sure if this SMF capable of assigning "limited" power moderator ?

C'mon Dave, looking on how this forum grows, don't you think its time to add more hands ? Yourself, Simon and sometimes once in a while Gnif popped out to help, imo, is not enough.

As usual, latest forum statistic since 2010 -> Forum statistic - 18 May 2019

I'm not saying more mods for moderating, like putting ban hammer, editing out nasty post made by members or deleting spammer's thread/post made, or judging posts made.

But more like non destructive administrating works like moving newly created thread to more suitable section, just look how crowded General Area with technical subjects that supposed to be placed correctly, again, not sure if SMF supports this limited ability moderator.  :-//

Or nominate and offer few well known trusted members, ask specifically they are not allowed to do any destructive/moderating works, only help tidying up the cluttered threads, especially once the forum is expanded into more sections as your plan.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:08:49 pm by BravoV »

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2019, 10:14:47 pm »
Better split would be IMO between new  and vintage instruments.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2019, 03:29:53 am »
Better split would be IMO between new  and vintage instruments.
I can only imagine the endless whining that would cause about what is and isn't vintage.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, worsthorse

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2019, 03:33:02 am »
Not to mention why would you split 'vintage' gear off from the often inferior 'new' rubbish available  :box:  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2019, 03:52:24 am »
Leave it alone is my vote. I detest forums that make a subforum for every little thing. It segments off the discussion too much.

As for vintage vs modern...here's the thing. With some TLC, great vintage gear is every bit as useful (especially for the hobbyist) as anything modern, disregarding things that did get better with time such as DSOs. Especially if you don't have the biggest budget...you can buy and fix up a lot of HP and Tek gear for the price of one of one of these new tricked out Tek 3 and 4 series scopes. It's just Test Equipment. Heck, I was reading a physics paper from just a few years ago recently where the authors used an HP 8510C VNA system for their work.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2019, 09:21:41 am »
Not to mention why would you split 'vintage' gear off from the often inferior 'new' rubbish available  :box:  :-DD
So I don't have to look a Chinesium rubbish when looking for old equipment teardown/repair/updates? ;D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2019, 09:27:59 am »
The correct answer is TEA it's all good and doesn't discriminate ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2019, 09:52:28 am »
TEA thread could do with its own subforum  :-DD

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2019, 12:57:05 pm »

Sub-TEA categories?  :)

Not sure if this SMF capable of assigning "limited" power moderator ?

It can definitely do that.

C'mon Dave, looking on how this forum grows, don't you think its time to add more hands ? Yourself, Simon and sometimes once in a while Gnif popped out to help, imo, is not enough.

But more like non destructive administrating works like moving newly created thread to more suitable section, just look how crowded General Area with technical subjects that supposed to be placed correctly, again, not sure if SMF supports this limited ability moderator.  :-//

Or nominate and offer few well known trusted members, ask specifically they are not allowed to do any destructive/moderating works, only help tidying up the cluttered threads, especially once the forum is expanded into more sections as your plan.

I completely agree. I mean by this time I'm sure he can find - say - 5 or 10 trusted members out of (at this time) 50672 members.  :-//

IMHO, the requirement that making a few more major test equipment boards is a non-issue as far as "workload" is concerned. The forum will continue to grow. Is it going to stay organized this way forever? C'mon - things need to change over time.

If you think that requires more work - it does. But that's not an excuse, again IMHO because you have FREE help that will organize any mis-posted topics. As I said, I put my money where my mouth is - I will volunteer to help do this AND to move all the topics to the proper places if new boards are created. He knows I have installed, setup, and run SMF forums so I am "qualified" (but maybe he doesn't trust me  :( ). But, I guarantee that you can get at least 10 trusted members to do this job. All for no cost and it will be done reliably and efficiently. I mean we can fix test equipment - don't you think we can move a topic to where it's supposed to go?  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline precaud

• Frequent Contributor
    • LinearZ
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2019, 03:38:29 pm »
I'd like to see time- and frequency-domain instruments as separate categories. Or just give scopes a separate category. That would clean things up a lot.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2019, 03:45:34 pm »

Underpants, aeroplanes, 3d printing, Italian meats, delivery company complaints subforums  :-DD

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2019, 03:52:32 pm »
I was just looking at all the boards on the main forum page. Somebody mentioned having a vintage test equipment board which was kindof shot down.

But ... on a test equipment forum we get a vintage computer board, on mainly a test equipment site. But we can't have a vintage test equipment board? Doesn't make any sense to me.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2019, 04:35:18 pm »
I was just looking at all the boards on the main forum page. Somebody mentioned having a vintage test equipment board which was kindof shot down.

But ... on a test equipment forum we get a vintage computer board, on mainly a test equipment site. But we can't have a vintage test equipment board? Doesn't make any sense to me.  :-//
It's going to be controversial no matter what. As a matter of fact it already is controversial.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2019, 04:45:10 pm »
*snip*

Underpants, *snip*

Make this one protected like the supporters lounge.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2019, 04:52:25 pm »
I'd like to see time- and frequency-domain instruments as separate categories. Or just give scopes a separate category. That would clean things up a lot.

And where would you put modulation domain analysers? They show frequency as a function of time, and I want to get one.

(Yes, I already have power-vs-time and power-vs-frequency analysers, so frequency-vs-time would complete the triumvirate)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2019, 04:53:13 pm »

Underpants, aeroplanes, 3d printing, Italian meats, delivery company complaints subforums  :-DD

Smirk.

The only relevant one there is the last!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2019, 04:58:03 pm »

It does to me. Computers aren't a continuum, test gear is. A multimeter of any vintage would still be useful on my workbench, I couldn't use a vintage computer to do my job though.

PS: It's not a "test equipment forum" or "test equipment site". Only a small percentage of Dave's videos are about test gear.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2019, 05:31:37 pm »
It does to me. Computers aren't a continuum, test gear is. A multimeter of any vintage would still be useful on my workbench, I couldn't use a vintage computer to do my job though.

Well that's for each person to decide isn't it?  :-// Not everyone is using these items for a "job"; for example, I'm retired so I may very well have all sorts of equipment that wouldn't be used in a job. Nowhere does it say we have to talk about electronics that is used in a job.

PS: It's not a "test equipment forum" or "test equipment site". Only a small percentage of Dave's videos are about test gear.

That may be true but most topics are NOT about his videos. We're talking about the forum here not his videos. The forum is not a topic-by-topic reflection of the videos. But what is the top topic on the forum?

Well let's check the stats for an objective look see -

Top Ten Boards

#1 General Chat   345523
#2 Test Equipment    304402

Top 10 Topics (by Replies)

#1 Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread

So, #2 board behind the off-topic "General Chat" is about test equipment.
#1 topic by replies is about test equipment.

Need I say more?  ::)

But if you disagree with all that, let's decide what the forum is about"? Electronics in general and all categories of it? So what's the most logical way to divide it up (if it's about all electronics in general). If it's about all categories of electronics then why does vintage computers get a board and not vintage test equipment? Still doesn't make sense to me. But I'm going for a walk and I'll probably just move on because this sort of thing is like herding cats - nothing will be decided.  :)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2019, 05:58:07 pm »

Well that's for each person to decide isn't it?  :-// Not everyone is using these items for a "job"; for example, I'm retired so I may very well have all sorts of equipment that wouldn't be used in a job. Nowhere does it say we have to talk about electronics that is used in a job.

Where exactly would you draw the line for "vintage" test gear? That's a huge can of worms, methinks.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2019, 06:02:39 pm »
Anything not made in China :)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2019, 07:08:19 pm »
Where exactly would you draw the line for "vintage" test gear? That's a huge can of worms, methinks.

Back from walk.  :)

I normally don't like answering questions with questions but to prove a point ... Using your basic thought we have this -

Where exactly would you draw the line for "vintage" computers? That's a huge can of worms, methinks.

If that line can be drawn, then why not the other?  :-//

But yet, we have that line drawn by the users as they wish. All the title says is this -

Vintage Computers
Vintage Computers and related projects

And ... what if somebody posts something about their new Ryzen 7 system on the vintage computer board? It's NOT vintage, so where would a moderator move it? To the {non} vintage computer board? Nope, because that board does not exist on the forum.

Anyway, we're all intelligent people here. It's all valid opinions. The only person that can decide what to do is Dave. I'm here no matter what happens.  :-+

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2019, 07:56:38 pm »
Anything not made in China :)

Good idea. More 2 categories: Made in China, Not made in China

We should do a PoC. We should split this thread in several categories: those in favor, those against, etc...

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2019, 07:59:39 pm »
I post RF stuff to the RF forum just because it has more expertise and you need to be more  careful repairing that stuff compared to a power supply or soldering iron.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2019, 07:59:52 pm »
Another possible line to draw between vintage and non vintage: whether it's component level repairable or not. The 1990s brought a swift death to component repairable anything.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2019, 12:13:40 am »
Look at it as each forum topic has a type, as in datatype. I'm limiting the number of types to some arbitrary and capricious set consisting of "Applications", "Discussion", and "Engineering".

From there, we have the top 4 main categories:
CategoryType
ElectronicsEngineering
ProductsApplications
GeneralDiscussion
EEVblogDiscussion

So right from the beginning there is a partial type mismatch in the main topics. Now let's look at the Electronics and Products categories in more detail:

Electronics
ForumType
BeginnersDiscussion
Projects, Designs, and Technical StuffEngineering
RepairDiscussion
Microcontrollers & FPGAsEngineering
RF, Microwave, Ham RadioDiscussion
MetrologyEngineering
Renewable EnergyApplications
Open Source HardwareApplications
Manufacturing & AssemblyEngineering
Crowd Funded ProjectsApplications
General PCB/EDA/CAD DiscussionsEngineering

Products
ForumType
Test EquipmentEngineering
Thermal ImagingApplications
Other Equipment & ProductsDiscussion
Vintage ComputingDiscussion

With that, would there be a better way to make the various forums and sub-forums the same type, such that categories were more identifiable? Clearly there are topics that can fall equally under Electronics->Repair and Products->Test Equipment.

One of the drivers for splitting a forum is whether there is too much volume in that forum that falls into distinct enough categories. The complement is if there are multiple forum areas that have equal relevance to a topic.

With this as guidance, one way to organize is consider an alternate structure such as:

Engineering
ForumType
Projects, Designs, and Technical StuffEngineering
Test EquipmentEngineering
Microcontrollers & FPGAsEngineering
MetrologyEngineering
Manufacturing & AssemblyEngineering
General PCB/EDA/CAD DiscussionsEngineering

Discussion
ForumType
BeginnersDiscussion
RepairDiscussion
RF, Microwave, Ham RadioDiscussion
Other Equipment & ProductsDiscussion
Vintage ComputingDiscussion

Applications
ForumType
Thermal ImagingApplications
Renewable EnergyApplications
Open Source HardwareApplications
Crowd Funded ProjectsApplications

Now figure out which sub-forums within each category can be split or combined to be unique enough to be the clear option when the case gets to be ambiguous.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf