Author Topic: UNI-T UT181A / Triplett 9065 - Trend Viewer Question  (Read 7992 times)

Offline spiff72Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
UNI-T UT181A / Triplett 9065 - Trend Viewer Question
« on: June 25, 2020, 12:34:30 pm »
Hello all,

I have a question for the owners of the UNI-T UT181A (or Triplett 9065)...

I just got the Triplett 9065 yesterday, which is apparently a rebadge of the UT181A...  If you create a recording on the meter (in my example a 1 hour recording of my AC line voltage), and then go to the TREND view, is there a way to zoom in on the waveform trace itself? 

I find that the UP/DOWN buttons appear to zoom in on the graph, but keep the X-axis in view at the bottom of the screen, so if you are trying to zoom in on a value in the area of 120V, the zoom function doesn't let you view the actual trace up close.  Am I missing something in the navigation, or is this just the nature of the beast?

I am able to export the data to a spreadsheet and view it there, but it would have been helpful to be able to zoom in on the trace itself, rather than having to keep the x-axis in view.  (I am looking to observe the variation which is around +/- 5 (or 10) volts).

Thanks

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
Re: UNI-T UT181A / Triplett 9065 - Trend Viewer Question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 09:48:30 pm »
Hi,
Unfortunately this is a software bug that make the logging function almost useless for this meter . Also it has fewer data points than Fluke 289 (for example) a thing that also make it to loose .
Even if UNI-T will make a patch I don't know how we can use it .

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 02:02:52 pm »
Does the Fluke 287/289 have the capability to "zoom" as I described here?  I sent a message to Triplett tech support to ask about this issue and they passed it on the the firmware team (presumably to UNI-T?), but I don't think they are going to have an answer.  I don't think the firmware is update-able on this meter (to my knowledge).

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 09:11:09 pm »
In order to make it vivid, here is a little example with a cooker together with my Fluke 289, till the water boils: 10 minutes with 1 second interval.

Y = VAC
X = time, in my case 10 minutes: from 00:00 ... 09:59 minutes, but the cursor shows the exact clock time at the bottom.

You can see the period of time, till the water boils, as I measured the socket behind the cooker. Normally there are nearly 238 VAC, but during the process the voltage dropped down to nearly 232 VAC, till it rises again, when the cooker turned off and the water boiled.

From start till end it took nearly 4 min. 26 sec. (21:22:03 clock time till 21:26:29 clock time) till the water boiled, which you can see at the bottom, showing the values of the cursor, e.g. 232,76 VAC 21:22:03 clock time (01-start vs. 02-end picture).

The other pictures show the zoom from x2 till x10. I haven't mooved the cursor during the zoom, it stays at 232,19 VAC 21:26:29 clock time all the time.

zoom x 2

zoom x 3

zoom x 4

zoom x 5

zoom x 6

zoom x 7

zoom x 8

zoom x 9

zoom x 10

...but maybe there is a better and cheaper solution because of the software "TestController" by HKJ.

My two TestController pictures show the same recording, but without using Flukes' 289 recording function, but just the measure function.
By the way: the water was still hot, thus boiling took not so long any more.

Therefore you can nearly use any DMM with USB Interface supported by TestController. You simply need a pc or an old notebook for example with just running java script. This way it is also much more convenient to save the data, than using FlukeViewForms, when you wanna transfer your data to the pc...

Just have a look at the thread...

TestController-Thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/

Here you can download the software:
http://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerIntro%20UK.html#Notes_&_Download

When you unzip it, you see the devices which are already supported, for example:

Keysight U1273A (windows and linux)
Fluke 287/289 (windows and linux)
Brymen 867/869 (at the moment only windows)
and many more...

plus the USB-Interface.

Here is an example, which works with TestController on Windows:

Brymen 867s
https://www.welectron.com/Brymen-BM867s-Multimeter_1
USB-Interface
https://www.welectron.com/Brymen-BU-86X-USB-Interface

Cheers!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 10:49:59 am by PushUp »

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 10:45:08 pm »
Since "TestController", I hate using FlukeViewForms, but in order to complete my little experiment:

Here is a SnapShot of the data exported to the pc via FlukeViewForms. I had to make my own formular, as I wasn't satisfied with the readymade ones...it is not perfect, but shows the info I need... I had to switch to Windows, as Linux isn't supported.  ::)

Compared to TestController any software by Fluke, Brymen, Keysight, and so on... is awkward. Well, Keysight is not so bad, but the simplicity of TestController is unbeatable!

Cheers!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 09:46:03 am by PushUp »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 10:46:07 pm »
That answers my question about the whether the Fluke handles the zooming very clearly - thanks for sharing that.  Basically, when zooming on the Fluke, it appears that the Fluke "locks in" on the trace curve rather than keeping the x-axis in view all the time?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 10:50:08 pm »
I am debating a return of the Triplett because of this bug, but I am hesitant to give up the display on this one (and I liked the price for the Triplett).  Decisions, decisions...

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 11:39:20 pm »
Hello all,

I have a question for the owners of the UNI-T UT181A (or Triplett 9065)...

I just got the Triplett 9065 yesterday, which is apparently a rebadge of the UT181A...  If you create a recording on the meter (in my example a 1 hour recording of my AC line voltage), and then go to the TREND view, is there a way to zoom in on the waveform trace itself? 

I find that the UP/DOWN buttons appear to zoom in on the graph, but keep the X-axis in view at the bottom of the screen, so if you are trying to zoom in on a value in the area of 120V, the zoom function doesn't let you view the actual trace up close.  Am I missing something in the navigation, or is this just the nature of the beast?

I am able to export the data to a spreadsheet and view it there, but it would have been helpful to be able to zoom in on the trace itself, rather than having to keep the x-axis in view.  (I am looking to observe the variation which is around +/- 5 (or 10) volts).

Thanks

I am debating a return of the Triplett because of this bug, but I am hesitant to give up the display on this one (and I liked the price for the Triplett).  Decisions, decisions...

No idea what this bug is you are trying to explain.  I wonder if you just don't understand the UI.   That or I have no idea what it is you are trying to do.  Very possible the later.   I had an some experience with the 289 and the 181A actually drives a little nicer IMO.   Have you read the manual for it?  If so, what exactly are you claiming you can't do with the meter?   Pan +/-X  Zoom+/-X Zoom +/-Y?  Something else? 

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 11:41:36 pm »
It's only three sets of keys.  Maybe watch starting at this location:
https://youtu.be/PjNXbKlr3MI?t=2648

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 02:02:19 am »
I am trying to zoom in on a recorded trace that was a measure of my line voltage (so roughly 120v).  I want to see the fluctuations around the 120v "average", but zooming in always keeps the x=0 axis visible.  Here is a video of the issue...

Is there a way to "pan" up/down when zoomed in?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 02:28:25 am »
Much better.   Now that I understand, I am not sure if you can pan the Y (which is why I left it out).   I thought you could do a relative recording.   I will need to have a look and get back with you. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 02:32:21 am »
Thanks - i guess a video is worth a million(?) words :-)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 03:16:10 am »
Reading the manual for the  181 and 289, there does not appear to be a vertical pan.   I am not sure why you call it a bug as it is clearly left out by design on both meters. 

What you can do is select the ACV mode.  Then select the menu and relative.  Then go ahead and zero the meter after it has been attached to your source.   The meter will read the deviation from what ever it was nulled at.  Now go ahead and record your data.   Run it for a few minutes and now try the trend.  You will see basically the change from 120V or what ever you nulled it with.  This will work for DC volts and other functions as well.   

When buying new test equipment, especially higher dollar items, I will spend a fair amount of time reading the manuals and asking questions long before I place an order to make sure it will do what I need.   For some items I may request a demo unit for a few weeks. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 03:37:20 am »
I suppose calling it a "bug" isn't accurate - perhaps a "deficiency" might be a better choice of words.  I was just looking at the images that were posted by PushUp above, and from seeing those zoomed images, it appeared that the Fluke 289 was able to zoom in on the trace itself (without having the x-axis still on screen).

I will try running the same recording in relative mode as a quick test here to see if that works better for me.

Thanks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2020, 03:40:39 am »
Specifically - look at the 07-zoomx6.jpg file - the vertical range shown on screen is from 231v to 239v.  Was that recording done in relative mode?  I was under the impression that the zoom on the Fluke might NOT be doing the same thing that the Triplett does...

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 03:54:33 am »
It's very possible.  I don't have one here to try.  I borrowed a friends to make that video.   It may auto zoom the vertical.   

Is your goal to use the 181A or find out what else is available?  There are some really nice meters for looking at AC mains if that is your goal.   

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 04:03:33 am »
The TrendCapture graphic display of events recorded by the meter has been improved to more clearly indicate the activity of a device being recorded. No change in user operation is required to make use of this improved display.

4.    A new Zoom feature has been added to the Trend Data display that expands the graph to show more details of unusual events (51)To use this new feature, first position the vertical cursor bar over the point of interest in the Trend Data display (using the left and right arrows) and then press the up arrow to magnify the display by two, centered on the cursor position. You can do this repeatedly until the desired resolution is achieved. Zoom back out by using the down arrow.

Looks like Fluke had possibly changed how this feature works.   

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 04:11:02 am »
Using it more as a general purpose meter that has logging capability.  The AC mains example was just a good one that demonstrated the issue I was seeing (since it was a larger value that was sufficiently far from zero to show the issue with zooming in on a large value with smaller deviations).  I may likely keep it as I was able to get it to work as you described by using REL mode.

Thanks

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 08:38:23 am »
Off-Topic "Thread-Problems with uploaded attachements!"
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/website-error-reports/msg3132758/#msg3132758

The first Thumbnail-Picture of my post is still fine:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/uni-t-ut181a-triplett-9065-trend-viewer-question/msg3132148/#msg3132148
..., but the link to it is wrong and leads to a completely false picture from my next post. It is somehow messed up with any (!!!) further reply you make in the forum, I guess?!

Sorry, that my pictures are messed up, but I am not responsible for it...  :(

Probably, it is better to use external image/file hoster, till the problem is solved to avoid a total mess?!

Cheers!

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2020, 10:15:07 am »
My two TestController pictures show the same recording, but without using Flukes' 289 recording function, but just the measure function. Therefore you can nearly use any DMM with USB Interface supported by TestController. You simply need a pc or an old notebook for example with just running java script. This way it is also much more convenient to save the data, than using FlukeViewForm, when you wanna transfer your data to the pc...

With test controller you do not need to include 0 in the scale and you can use a date/time axis:

The following users thanked this post: PushUp

Offline PushUp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2020, 10:49:37 am »
Yes and it is also important to mention, that you always have access to your saved *.csv file, having the exact chart as recorded and the option to zoom in at any point of the timeline "First sample to display" vs. "Last sample to display", saving SnapShots at any point and time together with having the complete table of data!

But for me the most important advantage of using "TestController" is the fact, that you see the graph directly during the measurement, which the Fluke 289 isn't able to do, which is more like blind flying. Unfortunately, I have no money left, to buy a Keysight 34465A - thus I am very happy with TestController in combination with my handheld DMMs!  :-+

It is obvious that only HKJ knows all the secrets and possibilities of TestController, but the learning curve always goes up...at least I think so.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:22:43 am by PushUp »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2020, 01:17:48 pm »
Using it more as a general purpose meter that has logging capability.  The AC mains example was just a good one that demonstrated the issue I was seeing (since it was a larger value that was sufficiently far from zero to show the issue with zooming in on a large value with smaller deviations).  I may likely keep it as I was able to get it to work as you described by using REL mode.

Thanks

Good to hear.  My 181A is fairly old now and like Fluke, they may have improved on this feature as well. 

I basically use LabView to automate my experiments.  It's common that I will have three or more bits of gear attached to it on various buses to run a test.   The meters are part of that.   With NI offering a home version of Labview that you can just download,  it may be one way to work around the logging.  If you just want to log though, I would stay with their software and post process it.

This section of the video shows how I am using the bargraph combined with the ADC data to collect data from the UT181A using BLE. 
While this is just a simple logger, the idea is that I can integrate it with other software to fully automate a test.   
https://youtu.be/e_YzwO62feQ?t=1240

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 05:23:51 pm »
I downloaded and tried out testcontroller based on the post from PushUp.  I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but I tried to see if I could make the Tripplett 9065 (aka Uni-T UT181A), but it didn't appear as a COM port when connected via the USB cable that came with it.  It looks like it could be a useful program if it did work with the 9065/UT181A.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 05:33:27 pm »
I did actually order the Uni-T bluetooth adapter from an overseas ebay seller, but it is still in transit.  I wanted to see if the Uni-T would work with the tripplett (I suspect that it will).

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 05:38:24 pm »
I downloaded and tried out testcontroller based on the post from PushUp.  I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but I tried to see if I could make the Tripplett 9065 (aka Uni-T UT181A), but it didn't appear as a COM port when connected via the USB cable that came with it.  It looks like it could be a useful program if it did work with the 9065/UT181A.

It is probably a USBHID and I have not really gotten around to look at that yet (Except Brymen).
I do not have have the UT181A, this means I need some help to add it, but that is not relevant yet (Except if somebody uses the UNI-T com interface on it).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf