Author Topic: USB 'scope  (Read 1848 times)

Offline theoldwizard1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
USB 'scope
« on: September 01, 2018, 02:11:17 am »
USB 'scope are very handy in the field or in you garage working on automobiles.  Pico seems to have the auto market locked up with a very small percentage of it going to other automotive diagnostic equipment manufactures as an add-on to their other products.

While working with a USB scope that is plugged into a Windows laptop or perhaps a tablet can lead to a "pile of spaghetti" I really don't want to have a bench DSO resting on an engine/fender where it can fall.

So my question, who is making the latest in USB 'scopes with spec's close to the DS1054Z?  Very few player and I have not seen much that excites me at least at a reasonable feature/price point.  There is Pico (overpriced especially compared to Rigol), Hantek (mixed reviews), LabNation (only 2 channels), Red Pitya (2 channel, no housing and Dave did not think much of their software)

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
Re: USB 'scope
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 03:22:42 am »
Micsig TO1104 is a DSO in a tablet format, 4 analog channels.  Make sure to get it with the battery option installed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:14:52 pm by TK »

Offline OldDogSleeping

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 08:01:13 am »
I used to use a hantek in the Garage. Really just avoid them if you can - it was just horrible, hardware and software.

I replaced it with an old model picoscope 3206MSO, purchased from Pico Tech's ebay outlet for about half the price of my DS1054z.
There are some bargains to be had when they bring out a new model.

There is a reason pico have the auto market locked up, they are good, very good.

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 08:33:55 am »
While working with a USB scope that is plugged into a Windows laptop or perhaps a tablet can lead to a "pile of spaghetti" I really don't want to have a bench DSO resting on an engine/fender where it can fall.

So my question, who is making the latest in USB 'scopes with spec's close to the DS1054Z?

If you think about your requirements, I'd say a USB scope for automotive use with the same specs as a bench scope is overkill. You're not going to look at anything faster than 5 MHz unless you do Flexray, CAN FD, MOST or similar - and in those cases, you won't want a scope anyway. Thus, I'm not quite sure why you'd want a 100 MHz USB scope for this use case. Do you intend to use it also for other purposes?

There is a reason pico have the auto market locked up, they are good, very good.

Interesting statement. I work for a major automotive supplier and haven't seen a single pico scope in the wild. Aside from that, I'd say their price is the result of trustworthy specs and decent software. So while they may not be cheap, I wouldn't call them overpriced either.

Offline theoldwizard1Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 12:10:04 pm »
If you think about your requirements, I'd say a USB scope for automotive use with the same specs as a bench scope is overkill. You're not going to look at anything faster than 5 MHz unless you do Flexray, CAN FD, MOST or similar - and in those cases, you won't want a scope anyway. Thus, I'm not quite sure why you'd want a 100 MHz USB scope for this use case. Do you intend to use it also for other purposes?
First, there are enough cases in the automotive world where a REAL 50MHz (500MSam/sec) 'scope are useful.  And yes, it would double as a bench 'scope.

Quote from: abraxa
I work for a major automotive supplier and haven't seen a single pico scope in the wild. Aside from that, I'd say their price is the result of trustworthy specs and decent software. So while they may not be cheap, I wouldn't call them overpriced either.
Sorry, I just can not justify spending over $1,300 for a 20MHz 'scope (200MSa/sec on 4 channels) and 250 MSample buffer.  I give them credit for using a 12 bit A-to-D and USB3.0, but there is probably less than $300 in parts in that box !

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 02:11:57 pm »
Get a Micsig tablet. They're great and they solve the "pile of wires" problem.

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 03:11:11 pm »
Interesting statement. I work for a major automotive supplier and haven't seen a single pico scope in the wild. Aside from that, I'd say their price is the result of trustworthy specs and decent software. So while they may not be cheap, I wouldn't call them overpriced either.
Hello,

I would say it depends what you are doing.
For hardware development and measurements on the PCB: they will use their LeCroy for > 20K$

For software development/calibration and measurements on the ECU-pins:
all my collegues in our department use rather a PicoScope than our 20K$ Tektronix.

The price should also be seen with the support.
I started to use the scopes with Win XP, Win7 and now Win10 and it still works.
There are also features in the software that I have requested/asked for.
(e.g. the "angle cursor" for injection/ignition angle measurements.)
Try to get that from a cheap producer.

with best regards

Andreas

Offline MasterBuilder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 05:57:01 pm »
Digilent Analog discovery 2, Best performance features and price balance, silmiliar to the 1054z. Only 2 channels though.  It does have loads of added features though.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 07:18:38 pm »
Hello,

I would say it depends what you are doing.
For hardware development and measurements on the PCB: they will use their LeCroy for > 20K$

For software development/calibration and measurements on the ECU-pins:
all my collegues in our department use rather a PicoScope than our 20K$ Tektronix.

The price should also be seen with the support.
I started to use the scopes with Win XP, Win7 and now Win10 and it still works.
There are also features in the software that I have requested/asked for.
(e.g. the "angle cursor" for injection/ignition angle measurements.)
Try to get that from a cheap producer.
Isn't that similar to a cursor showing the phase? I've seen that on other oscilloscopes as well.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf