Author Topic: Who wants to watch someone teardown a DMM fuse? YT channel Voltlog.  (Read 1646 times)

Offline wilfredTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Yeah, well I just did. YT channel Voltlog who may be a forum member here just made a video I found interesting. He bought some fuses on Ebay from China branded "Bussman" and examined them to try to see if they were fake or not.

I like his videos because they are quite well made in their own modest way. He doesn't big-note himself and he takes the viewer along with him very smoothly as he speaks his thoughts.

There is at various times discussions here where someone wonders about making YT videos themselves to share their hobby electronics interest. Well Voltlog is a good example to look at for inspiration.

Anyone want to persuade Dave to do a similar video on his known genuine DMM fuses? I just bought some but I don't feel wealthy enough to go blowing HRC fuses even at Dave's modest prices.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective, kalel

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: Who wants to watch someone teardown a DMM fuse? YT channel Voltlog.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 01:22:08 am »
Good score, thanks for posting and to the Youtuber    :-+ 

My fuse supplies are based on buying a 10 pack, be they cheap, suspect/fake or the real deal,

picking one or two at random,

then testing them to their claimed OBLIVION VA/time/hold specs, and keep notes in the pack. 

i.e. this way I know the other 8 fuses will perform and be on the money whenever required,

especially as replacements in expensive equipment  :phew:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:42:48 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 01:32:30 am »
Interesting thing to investigate and a good video. It would be nice to see them compared with the "real deal".
Just curious, how often do those break in equipment that uses them? E.g. multimeters and other bench stuff.

They might be costly, but do you replace them often of not is the question.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 01:43:07 am »
Depends on how careful the user is (and if their meter beeps at them when switching to voltage with the leads in the current jacks). I do not think I have ever accidentally blown a DMM fuse. I have used a multimeter (with cheap glass fuses) as makeshift fuse-holder at one point: I wanted to prevent the PCB fuse in my DUT from blowing, so put a fast lower value fuse in series, and the DMM has convenient banana jacks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf