Author Topic: Why is the 34461A web interface so crap  (Read 5911 times)

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Why is the 34461A web interface so crap
« on: April 25, 2015, 08:14:05 pm »
The 34461Aweb interface is worse than my 15 year old Agilent MSO6000 scope

Had to go through some java bullshit to get it to work at all
Can't get a screenshot
Can't get a CSV of stored data
Can view data but can't even copy/paste it.
Need to install their Util on my PC to update firmware - WTF is up with that when there's a USB socket on the front.

What a joke.
I'm sure you can do all this in other ways, but the whole point of a web interface is to do odd jobs quickly and easily, where you don't want to bother installing stuff because you only do it once in a blue moon.
Pathetic.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline dadler

• Supporter
Re: Why is the 34461A web interface so crap
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 08:27:05 pm »
Entirely agree. Played with it once, find it extremely painful to use, have no intention of using it again. It's basically a web server that lets you download a copy of the Java app, not a true web interface IMO.

And I thought Java applets had died out  :-[

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:31:41 pm »
FWIW, I have a fairly new piece of Agilent equipment and the web interface doesn't seem to completely work.  I checked with Agilent - first they suggested trying different Java versions - then they said maybe some of the features might need some help in a future release.  It's not a big deal - the equipment is very good and their app software that runs on a PC without the web interface is very good, but yes, they seem to have an opportunity for enhancement to some of their web-based software.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 09:33:33 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 11:18:30 pm »
I only had luck with Google Chrome+Java 8 64 bit+Windows 7, it seemed to "function" but was not very useful.

Did particular features not work for you?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 11:33:06 pm »
Need to install their Util on my PC to update firmware - WTF is up with that when there's a USB socket on the front.
Fact that need to install Util is stupid. Though you can update from USB flash, just need that stupid Util to unpack the firmware file :palm:.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 12:32:58 am »
The 34461Aweb interface is worse than my 15 year old Agilent MSO6000 scope

Had to go through some java bullshit to get it to work at all
Can't get a screenshot
Can't get a CSV of stored data
Can view data but can't even copy/paste it.

What a joke.
I'm sure you can do all this in other ways, but the whole point of a web interface is to do odd jobs quickly and easily, where you don't want to bother installing stuff because you only do it once in a blue moon.
Pathetic.
I played a bit with the web interface of an Agilent MSO7000 series but I didn't find it particular useful either. Pehaps it's just an item to tick off a list. Web interface?  -check-.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 01:27:20 am »
Yeah, I had to upgrade VMware just to fire up Windows so I could prepare a USB stick from FWUpdate.exe.  So it can read the downloaded binary and "install" it on the USB stick... Hello?

Offline 6thimage

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 01:51:11 am »
I think the first update they did (1.10) was just a zip file containing the nk.bin and the xml - but having to install a program to write the files to a flash disk is a bit extreme. I like the idea of the utility to install the update over the ethernet interface, but that is all it should be for.

The java interface is horrible - on linux, I have never been able to get it to work in chrome. In firefox it just about works, but the java windows will disappear behind the firefox window, never to be seen again. It justs seems to be thrown together.

I think they don't bother fixing it as the graphical interface on the meter can be used to save any data into a csv and to store screenshots, with any more complex uses being pushed towards their full program.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 04:24:12 am »
I struggled to get the java applet working too, but I do use it. The major advantage is that:
* It runs without taking over (Visa-wise) the control from the front panel.
* It runs even when the DMM is currently being controlled by an external program (BenchVue or other).

When running experiments using the internal trend capture or scripted through BV or Matlab, I often remotely check where it's at using the java applet from my laptop when I am not around the bench.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 04:46:04 am »
The web interface is poor for the same reason that the instrument can't log directly to a USB stick with time stamped data: AgilSight wants to sell you the BenchVue license.  It has to be frustrating for the engineers on the product to have the basic features neutered by marketing.  I wish they would have an option one could buy for $50 that would beat the marketing yo yos with a wiffle bat while simultaneously enabling the thunderingly obvious.

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 09:31:47 am »
I think the first update they did (1.10) was just a zip file containing the nk.bin and the xml - but having to install a program to write the files to a flash disk is a bit extreme. I like the idea of the utility to install the update over the ethernet interface, but that is all it should be for.
On my Agilent scope you can  do a firmware update via the web interface directly

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 11:55:40 am »
It seems to be getting harder to update,  my u1253b was updated connected via the usb cable with a single download,  not so for the 34461, I went the usb flash drive route but went well but now it says on the screen it is a keysight!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 09:47:37 pm »
It took me a while too, to figure out the JAVA setup and security settings to make it even work. You really have to ask, why JAVA? There should be much easier solutions available theses days. I was also very disappointed by the web interface and just don't use it any more, except for getting a quick overview of all settings. And, as was said before, you can access the instrument through the web interface, even if it is blocked in "remote" setting by BenchVue or others.

Best way to access the instrument is by USB, then you have direct access to all stored files on the instrument.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf