Author Topic: Why there is a Ethernet Port on the Tektronix AFG3252, if I can't use it?  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Electro Fan, he has demonstrated that he has IP connectivity to the AFG, pings and DHCP working, etc.

Stop taking this to the physical realm. This is a logical thing.

Hi tv84, It’s just a different approach to isolating (locating and confirming the location of) the logical problem.  It’s either in the PC, the router, or the AFG - but so far we don’t know which of the three.  By substituting devices we could determine in which physical device the logical problem exists.  Might be faster and easier to fix the problem if we knew where it is.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
It does seem that the router is the least likely of the 3 to be the problem, but if we could physically remove it and the problem continues as is then we could also logically remove it.  Likewise, if we had another PC we could see if it connects, if not it would likely be an issue in the AFG.  Probably don’t have another same model AFG laying around so first choice would be to find another PC.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
It does seem that the router is the least likely of the 3 to be the problem, but if we could physically remove it and the problem continues as is then we could also logically remove it.  Likewise, if we had another PC we could see if it connects, if not it would likely be an issue in the AFG.  Probably don’t have another same model AFG laying around so first choice would be to find another PC.
You are way overthinking it. If the PC can ping the function generator then the connectivity at the IP level is there. From there is it a problem with specific traffic being blocked or not accepted. This either a problem at the PC side (firewall) or the function generator (remote access not enabled). If the software requires TekVisa then I hope he is using a VM. Solving TekVisa problems usually require re-installing Windows.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:15:23 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
You are way overthinking it. If the PC can ping the function generator then the connectivity at the IP level is there. From there is it a problem with specific traffic being blocked or not accepted. This either a problem at the PC side (firewall) or the function generator (remote access not enabled). If the software requires TekVisa then I hope he is using a VM. Solving TekVisa problems usually require re-installing Windows.

Maybe overthinking it but if I had a choice between determining if the problem was in the AFG or the PC, or just proceeding to reinstall Windows, I’m pretty sure reinstalling Windows would not be the first choice. 

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Here is a very old thread: 

https://forum.tek.com/viewtopic.php?t=137729&__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=0d450cd14d34a1b1616b97289353e44ee2dddf98-1589727156-0-AY8hyzeJjvDE3sSdDP4K2-sjZtVpqAFyWVFiPZZ8fPvbrqHvM7nUz0pGC0RgilO_F9SwJJEbew5mlO1L8vAd-bbxPIKZMDP2FaR_rwcs5VKkDQvdGs8Z8bIJxdQQ4tyoU8Dd37LK88848EeU5F8CFQfHxGxQnFTsNU0uF3gJmJKmML5pUM3wDVOBmOeUqQe9Ni09DHhLaK7WMX_cCCJbL9zRCsi0gLsDxIef1Bs85p4xFu-MGzvXLoRls5p0QIahC9EPRajvIZG2hc0GxxzKERI12v5KZGHRGzke6ptXfW2xtD4WBNNpHhPjhN7xcHHHimMRcBZ4ykNg3i99QJjP2N9Iss3Wxcgp_rvgInFSlOtj

Indicates ArbExpress 2.8 had a problem with connectivity.  For the user in the thread 2.9 fixed it.  Looks like the OP is up to 3.1 which theoretically should be better than 2.8 and 2.9 - but on the notion that almost anything is more fun than reinstalling windows and rebuilding a PC, if we aren't going to isolate the problem and just try stuff, I'd try reinstalling ArbExpress.  OP indicates he has the latest but a quick look-see shows 3.4 is available (not sure 3.4 is compatible with OP's specific AFG rev).

https://www.tek.com/signal-generator/afg2021-software-0

Just putting some ideas out there...

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Another radical hardware idea:  what happens when you connect the AFG to the PC via USB?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments

Maybe overthinking it but if I had a choice between determining if the problem was in the AFG or the PC, or just proceeding to reinstall Windows, I’m pretty sure reinstalling Windows would not be the first choice.
Zucca already mentioned in the first post he can ping the function generator. That means the network is OK and thus his problem is in the software.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor

Zucca already mentioned in the first post he can ping the function generator. That means the network is OK and thus his problem is in the software.

I think just because you can ping a device it does not mean you don't have a "network" problem.  The problem with a network can be in software just as much as it can be in hardware.  But let's say it's not a "network" problem.

Have you 100% confirmed that the problem is in the PC?  Or might it be a problem with the AFG?  If there's any chance it's in the AFG I'd be inclined to next try something/anything other than reinstalling Windows.  And even if it's in the PC, I'd be inclined to try something / almost anything before reinstalling Windows and rebuilding the computer.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
If ping works, the network connection between two devices works. Period. No need to look further into the network (except for a firewall but that is easy to disable).

Now I'm sure Zucca knows how to read a manual so I assume he has set up the AFG3252 correctly or at least tried all relevent settings. From my own experience with the Tektronix TLA700 logic analysers I know setting up the Tektronix software is finicky at best and re-installation of the whole computer is often the only way out. Maybe an option for Zucca is to install the right version of the application software, TekVisa and .Net framework whle praying it will work. It really is that bad.

An easy way out is to install Virtualbox and install Windows in there to run the Tektronix software. That is how I have solved running Tektronix software.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 07:01:16 pm by nctnico »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Ok, if possible I'd still try to confirm if the problem is really in the PC or the AFG before going forward but it's also entirely possible that's it's some combination.

In any event... if there isn't another PC around to try, then installing (or reinstalling) .Net, the Tek sw and whatever else is needed makes sense.  Or like you say Zucca could install Virtualbox and another copy of Windows.  That might be easier I think than flattening the machine and starting from scratch (unless it's some type of dev/test platform with few apps and files of importance, and/or he is able/willing to reimage.)  In general I'd be holding out on reinstalling the core OS and rebuilding the machine for as long as possible.  If every time something didn't play nicely with Windows we reinstalled Windows we'd be working for Microsoft.  :)

Looking forward to hearing what the problem was, and what the solution is.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Nico/tv, go easy on me :)

Just for grins I tried to use ethernet to control an Agilent (I know it's different than Tektronix) arb function gen.  I hadn't used the ethernet connection in a long time but it connected right away when I opened the Keysight app.  So then I tried USB which hadn't been used for even longer.  I plugged in the USB cable and sure enough, the connection to the app started working.  I can't remember what all the sw piece parts were to make this stuff play nicely but I think some VI or other glue software is involved.  I could be wrong about this but my thought is that if the app connects with USB maybe that might help narrow something down a bit.  (Not to mention at least the machines would be talking better than they are currently.)  It's just one USB cable - might take a few minutes total.  Just a thought. 

Edits:  I of course unplugged the ethernet cable before trying the USB cable so as not to confuse what was really making the connection.

I also looked around in the app and there are definitely a number of settings related to VISA, so it might be possible that buried deeper in ArbExpress (or maybe some companion piece of software from NI or Tektronix) there is a setting that isn't happy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:14:07 pm by Electro Fan »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
Nico/tv, go easy on me :)

:) The OP says he would like to make the ETH connection work. Of course if USB suits his purpose, then go for it. I also am against reinstalling Windows and I'm a true believer that it can be overcome without reinstalling it.

But, what is missing here is someone who has done what the OP is trying. Because we can only give clues but no definitive answers.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Look here.

The AFG3000 series and it's derivatives (B revision, C revision, and AFG2000) do not use raw sockets. VXI-11 is the only available protocol for remote instrument communication over Ethernet.

This should be written in the reference manual!!!! Lord have mercy I am a sinner.

So I guess Putty will not do the job, do I need to install python or there is a better way to get a  VXI-11 up and running in windows?

Anyway, what a PITA.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:20:56 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Look here.

The AFG3000 series and it's derivatives (B revision, C revision, and AFG2000) do not use raw sockets. VXI-11 is the only available protocol for remote instrument communication over Ethernet.

This should be written in the reference manual!!!! Lord have mercy I am a sinner.

So I guess Putty will not do the job, do I need to install python or there is a better way to get a  VXI-11 up and running in windows?

Anyway, what a PITA.

Cool.  Getting closer!

I don't quite get why you should have to do all this stuff to just make a piece of test equipment connect so you can use the manufacturer's app - but I'm probably missing something, maybe a lot :)

Here is something I came across; might help even though it was written for/by Siglent, or maybe there is a better way.  (Better not show this to tautech or he might remind us it would have been easier to do this with a Siglent product.) :)

https://siglentna.com/application-note/programming-example-vxi11-python-lan/

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Here is something I came across; might help even though it was written for/by Siglent, or maybe there is a better way.  (Better not show this to tautech or he might remind us it would have been easier to do this with a Siglent product.) :)

https://siglentna.com/application-note/programming-example-vxi11-python-lan/
:P
Been watching this thread and as Zucca revealed, there's nothing like RTFM !  :horse:

Yep I/O connections can be frustrating but once you have your head around what's required it is normally straight forward.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Progress?

Offline Omicron

• Regular Contributor
I had the same problem. Downgrading ArbExpress to version 3.4 fixed it for me. I think 3.5 is broken. It adds support for their new range of AFGs but apparently it breaks support for the older ones.

Just remember that you first need to make the devices show up in TekVISA device manager. They will then appear automatically in ArbExpress.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf