Author Topic: Worth grabbing a Fluke 25 or something else?  (Read 10315 times)

Offline SingedFingersTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Worth grabbing a Fluke 25 or something else?
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:31:44 pm »
Run out of meters again on a project. Need one more. I've got a Philips PM2524 bench DMM, a UT61E, a Fluke 8010A and a couple of shit disposable ones. The Philips has dicky switches on the ohms range and I don't trust the cheap ones. The Fluke is the gold standard for me but the display is on the way out.

For the sake of 'better the devil you know' and low cost, I looked at another UT61E but if I'm honest I'm not that satisfied with it. Impedance on mV range is too high making it useless, burden voltage is awful, it bleeps at me a the time, continuity is shit, it's pretty unstable and the terminals on it are shit.

So I looked at a second hand Fluke 25. These can be picked up for pocket money on eBay at the moment. Are these worth buying?

I need consistent 10M impedance on all ranges (for RF probes), low burden voltage, reasonable display update speed, audible continuity (or at least fast visual) and can take the odd accidental knock off the bench.  Manual or auto range is fine but if it's manual it needa hold/manual range selection. Not too worried about the count or safety. This will see sub 50v DC and sub 1A and nothing else.

Any other options?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:43:23 pm by SingedFingers »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
Re: Worth grabbing a Fluke 25 or something else?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 02:48:52 am »
You can't beat the 25 or 27 for ruggedness, but they are missing so many features.I have a 27/FM non-RMS model and I a very happy to have it. I purchased it a NOS kit with leads, RF probe, and high voltage probe in a case for a reasonable price on ebay. I wanted a good HV probe and the price for the whole kit was bascially the price of a quality HV probe by itself. I think you might it a bit slow from your complaints about what you have. If you can manageit, try to get something more modern, but more expensive. Dave's BM235 is better featured, of the BM257S. If close to $135 USD is too much then consider the Amprobe BM510 or Uni-T UT139C for around $50. So many choices.........

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 05:50:17 am »
The Fluke is the gold standard for me but the display is on the way out.
Modemhead, again, has a blog entry on this subject.  See

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/gallery/fluke-8050a-led-conversion/

So I looked at a second hand Fluke 25. These can be picked up for pocket money on eBay at the moment. Are these worth buying?

If under $20 USD, I would say yes without hesitation.  Some Fluke 27s were going on ebay for $15 USD + free shipping in Dec 2016.

I need consistent 10M impedance on all ranges (for RF probes), low burden voltage, reasonable display update speed, audible continuity (or at least fast visual) and can take the odd accidental knock off the bench.
In DCV, the input impedance will vary from 11.11M ohm to 10M ohm depending on which range you pick.  The manual states the burden voltage and update speed (2.5 times/sec).

The Fluke 25 will definitely survive any oops moment.

Here is my list of pros/cons.

PROS
===
- 1,000 hour battery life
- built to last
- reliable
- accurate
- will survive any oops moment
- works in -20C (good for garage in winter time)

CONS
====
- grey colored Fluke 25/27 have a dim display and not very good contrast
- digits are a bit small for my liking
- slow continuity tester
- dual off position means meter has to "reboot" going from one function to another
- 2.5/sec update speed is a bit slow compared to other Fluke meters

If you get one Fluke 25, you might get more as per

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fluke-25-my-first-digital-multimeter/

See Dave's video

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:29:52 am »
Thanks for the info - much appreciated. Bought an 8020A in the end. A dead one. Will see if I can ressurect that :)

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 05:37:46 pm »
See Dave's video

Thumbs up for Fluke 27.

Basic, solid, reliable, accurate, safe, and the battery lasts forever.

I think the Fluke 27 appears in more of Dave's videos than any other meter*. It's always there in the background somewhere.

(* until he got his own blue ones a couple of months ago).

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:40:04 pm by Fungus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 05:42:15 pm »
Historical meter:
http://support.fluke.com/find-sales/download/asset/2386856_a_w.pdf

Thanks for this. Good read.

I'm grabbing a 27 when one comes up on eBay as well. I officially have a DMM problem now though. Two bench ones (Philips PM2524, Fluke 8010A), four handheld (8020A, UT61E, Fluke 77, cheap DT830). The things are breeding.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 06:10:10 pm »
Good read.
More about the 8020A and 8060A from Dave Taylor.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/old-fluke-multimeters/

I officially have a DMM problem now though. Two bench ones (Philips PM2524, Fluke 8010A), four handheld (8020A, UT61E, Fluke 77, cheap DT830). The things are breeding.
You don't have a problem, by comparison, yet. See pics at

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/anyone-want-to-challenge-excavatoree-and-his-staircase-photo-with-24-fluke-27s/

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 06:48:27 pm »
Thanks due for another good read. It's nice to know of some of the faces behind a piece of equipment.

I am definitely developing a problem. I just got a massive payout from some company stock that was sold and the eBay watch list is longer than the wife's again. She said to me earlier "you're collecting stuff again" followed by a sigh :)

Edit: I've got my late father's DMM that needs restoring as well. That's an interesting one as it's one he designed and built himself in the 1970s. All discretes and CMOS ICs. 2.5 digits manual ranging. May have been a ripped off Heathkit design (that was his style) with LEDs instead of nixies. Completely dead unfortunately.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:53:47 pm by SingedFingers »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 09:14:40 pm »
Thanks due for another good read. It's nice to know of some of the faces behind a piece of equipment.
Buried in that thread should be a link to an audio interview with Dave Taylor.  If not, see

http://theamphour.com/180-an-interview-with-dave-taylor-multi-talented-meter-maker/

Edit: I've got my late father's DMM that needs restoring as well. That's an interesting one as it's one he designed and built himself in the 1970s. All discretes and CMOS ICs. 2.5 digits manual ranging. May have been a ripped off Heathkit design (that was his style) with LEDs instead of nixies.
Something like this at modemhead's blog?

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/nixie-glow/

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 09:30:33 pm »
Think it might be based on the IM-1202. Not 100% sure yet as he bought unbranded discarded ICs from surplus suppliers, as they were damn expensive back then otherwise. Forensics job!

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 04:28:42 am »
I'm grabbing a 27 when one comes up on eBay as well.
Back on ebay for $25 USD + free shipping with USA.  I have no affiliation with seller and your mileage may vary. Note these meters are sold "as is".

See

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=310451&start=20

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 09:55:40 am »
Thanks for the pointer. In UK though and import duty and exchange rate isn't too good at the moment. There was a 27 on eBay UK the other day but the casing was cracked so I skipped it.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 10:03:35 am »

I am definitely developing a problem. I just got a massive payout from some company stock that was sold and the eBay watch list is longer than the wife's again. She said to me earlier "you're collecting stuff again" followed by a sigh :)

Does she look like the person in this post? https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1117782/#msg1117782

Edit: I've got my late father's DMM that needs restoring as well. That's an interesting one as it's one he designed and built himself in the 1970s. All discretes and CMOS ICs. 2.5 digits manual ranging. May have been a ripped off Heathkit design (that was his style) with LEDs instead of nixies. Completely dead unfortunately.

Perhaps you should read that entire thread, but I can't predict whether it would be your salvation or downfall!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 03:48:52 pm »
Historical meter:
http://support.fluke.com/find-sales/download/asset/2386856_a_w.pdf

Thanks for this. Good read.

I'm grabbing a 27 when one comes up on eBay as well. I officially have a DMM problem now though. Two bench ones (Philips PM2524, Fluke 8010A), four handheld (8020A, UT61E, Fluke 77, cheap DT830). The things are breeding.
At least it's not scopes ;D

I have too many DMMs as well.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 05:20:22 pm »
Ive had a scope problem before. At peak scope I had three Tek 465's, a Tek 453, two Philips PM3217's, a Telequipment D83, S61, D61 and D65, a LG 20MHz thing and a Velleman handheld.

Now just a Philips PM3217 (£10 investment!) and a DS1054Z which TBH I rarely use the latter of...

The Philips ones are my favourites so I kept one.

I've also got a power supply problem brewing as well.

And an RF signal generator problem.

I'm hopeless :)

Edit: forgot the frequency counter and growing Heathkit collection. This all lives in the corner of the living room which doesn't contribute much to marital bliss bit ahe understands my affliction.

I'll open a couple of threads for recent aquisitions and repairs shortly.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:25:11 pm by SingedFingers »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 03:28:43 am »
Ive had a scope problem before. At peak scope I had three Tek 465's, a Tek 453, two Philips PM3217's, a Telequipment D83, S61, D61 and D65, a LG 20MHz thing and a Velleman handheld.

Now just a Philips PM3217 (£10 investment!) and a DS1054Z which TBH I rarely use the latter of...

The Philips ones are my favourites so I kept one.

I've also got a power supply problem brewing as well.

And an RF signal generator problem.

I'm hopeless :)

Edit: forgot the frequency counter and growing Heathkit collection. This all lives in the corner of the living room which doesn't contribute much to marital bliss bit ahe understands my affliction.

I'll open a couple of threads for recent aquisitions and repairs shortly.
I have 4 scopes, don't consider it a problem yet (maybe I should, but there are people on here who have way more). I also have two RF sig gens.. and I don't really need 2.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 03:48:07 am »
I'm grabbing a 27 when one comes up on eBay as well.
Back on ebay for $25 USD + free shipping with USA.  I have no affiliation with seller and your mileage may vary. Note these meters are sold "as is".

See

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=310451&start=20
You guys are evil. I got one...   :P
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Muxr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf