Author Topic: Yet another Siglent SDM3055 failure :(  (Read 14123 times)

Offline djnickthemixTopic starter

Yet another Siglent SDM3055 failure :(
« on: December 06, 2014, 04:56:49 am »
Hello everyone i'm new to the forum, just got back into electronics again after a long time and joined a couple months ago. I just received a Siglent SDM3055 multimeter. I bought this from Tequipment.net and waited a couple months for its arrival after trying to decide to go for this or the Rigol. So today i FINALLY receive my multimeter and i instantly pull it out of the box to check out its over all beauty and magical color screen. I set the voltage setting to 110v and plug it in touch the power button and WHOOOAH there it is the multimeter starts up and im looking at an array of colors and inverted numbers on the display! well at this moment i'm pretty happy i got what i wanted just in time for christmas cant wait to try it out on something to see that 5 1/2 digit display do its job. So about an hour later after i finish up some other work i'm ready to connect some test leads and start learning some of the possible functions. So i reach for the power button, push it and wait only to see a white screen that says "Siglent Technologies" stay on permanently. I haven't as much as tested a battery and this thing is basically junk. I know it took a while to get these here, ( I live in new york and there's a warehouse in Ohio) and im sure there are some of you checking these out but obviously they have not gotten the bugs out of these yet. I called Tequipment.net tech support and have not gotten a phone call back yet and when i did speak with them he told me they're only a distributor and i need to contact Siglent. I emailed scott.rocco@siglent.com earlier today hoping for a quick response. So if anyone else out there is thinking of making this multimeter their new christmas gift for themselves, maybe its best you wait or grab something else for now. Ill be sure to keep this thread updated with hopefully some kind of review of the product if i can get a replacement unit or this one working again. :-//

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Yet another Siglent SDM3055 failure :(
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 05:17:29 am »
I just received a Siglent SDM3055 multimeter. I bought this from Tequipment.net and waited a couple months for its arrival after trying to decide to go for this or the Rigol.
So today i FINALLY receive my multimeter and i instantly pull it out of the box to check out its over all beauty and magical color screen.
So i reach for the power button, push it and wait only to see a white screen that says "Siglent Technologies" stay on permanently.
I haven't as much as tested a battery and this thing is basically junk.
I called Tequipment.net tech support and have not gotten a phone call back yet and when i did speak with them he told me they're only a distributor and i need to contact Siglent.
I emailed scott.rocco@siglent.com earlier today hoping for a quick response.
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear your problems.
Tequipment is a member here and one might have expected better after sales support/service than you got.
As it is the weekend now you may likely not hear from Tequipment or Siglent Technologies USA until Monday.
I have just also received a SDM3055 but the "A" version but have yet to use it in any meaningfull way.

You will find Siglent will stand by their products if it is indeed faulty.
Please keep us informed.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 05:31:52 am »
Thanks for the positive feedback. Im not blaming Tequipment.net at all and today is friday I understand. Anyone else purchace one of these yet?

Offline MartyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 09:20:16 am »
I also have a SDM3055, and I also had some trouble with my first unit as you can read here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/need-help-with-siglent-sdm3055/.

The factory installed firmware was so dangerously buggy, it made the Multimeter lock up. However, with the help from my dealer and a Siglent engineer we could figure out the problem rather quickly, they fixed the firmware and also I got a replacement unit in no time.

So, again, I advise people to immediately update the firmware on their units to the most recent one from the Siglent website before playing around with the Multimeter!
Mine came with 1.01.01.08R1, now it is on 1.01.01.09.

Wish you good luck with yours!

Marty
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:36:50 am by MartyD »

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 01:44:10 pm »
Martyd where did you find the firmware? I checked Siglents website and I see firmware for everything except the DGM3000 series. I hardly had a chance to even update the firmware I only got one sucessful startup before it stopped working.

Offline MartyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 01:51:46 pm »
There ya go: http://www.siglent.com/ENs/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=978&tid=15

I always check siglent.com/ens/ for updates since the european and american version of the website are outdated.

Marty

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 07:21:35 am »
Dear Sir,
Do you mean it is stuck at the welcome screen?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:25:36 am by Siglent »
The Best Value in Electronic Test & Measurement

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 12:35:40 pm »
We all know Siglent means Stuck ... or Stopped ..
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:03:22 pm by GEuser »
Soon

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 04:13:33 am »
Dear Sir,
Do you mean it is stuck at the welcome screen?
yes

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 10:48:19 am »
Although it may be Siglent's fault, it's still Tequipment's responsibility to sort it out as they sold it to you. Always bear this in mind when you buy something: deal with the vendor, rather than the manufacturer.

It sounds like a problem with the firmware to me.

Siglent America

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 01:26:07 pm »
Although it may be Siglent's fault, it's still Tequipment's responsibility to sort it out as they sold it to you. Always bear this in mind when you buy something: deal with the vendor, rather than the manufacturer.

It sounds like a problem with the firmware to me.

I just got word that we are working on a FW upgrade to repair the bug that has been located. One of the factory engineers will be sending me an update.

Please bear with us.
Thanks
Steve

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 08:59:52 pm »
The new SDM3055A that I have had for only a few days has Firmware 1.01.01.08R1.
It seems this was a revised version from the initial SDM3055 release firmware.

However there is a later version 1.01.01.09  on the Siglent firmware download page:
http://www.siglent.com/ENs/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=978&tid=15

It is a 3.2 Mb .rar file that needs to upacked after download.

EDIT
This new firmware is suitable for 3055 and 3055A.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:53:22 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rosbuitre

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 09:07:04 am »
Hello, any news?

Regards
My instruments: DMM Keysight 34461A / Tektronix DMM916 / Fluke 12, Rigol DS1074Z, Deer DE-5000, Siglent SDG805 / SDP3303D, Dayton Dats2

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 06:37:22 pm »
sent unit back got refund no easy repair found. I still want to own this unit I hope to see some people have good luck with it.

Siglent America

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 01:35:19 pm »
sent unit back got refund no easy repair found. I still want to own this unit I hope to see some people have good luck with it.

Hi, djnickthemix,

I understand we have contacted you through PM and are sending you a replacement unit.
You can always contact us directly in the USA at
info@siglent.com

Regards,
Steve
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 01:37:26 pm by Siglent America »

Dave92F1

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 10:43:21 pm »
Has anybody had a chance to compare the Siglent SDM3055 to the Rigol DM3058E?  The color screen on the Siglent is sure tempting, but given some of the problems reported here (and Rigol's more mature reputation) I'm tempted to go with the "safe" Rigol choice. Esp. in the absence of any real reviews or comparisons of the Siglent.

Re the Siglent, specs I can read, but I'd especially like to know:

* Does it have a fan? (I hate fan noise.)
* Is the continuity test fast & loud? (Supposedly the Rigol's is fast, but hard to hear - this is so easy, yet so many DMMs do it poorly)
* UI and ease of use - I don't want to have to refer to a manual all the time, or wade thru layers of menus
* RS-232/USB output: Do I have to use Siglent's software or can I use a dumb terminal? (much prefer the latter - then I can write my own software much more easily)
* Does Siglent have anything similar to Rigol's "any sensor" mode? (I'd like to be able to hook up the output from a load cell amplifier, give it an offset and gain in volts/gram, and then see an output in gram force...)

The DM3058E is about 7 years old now - I'd think Rigol would be getting ready with a replacement model by now (if only to compete with Siglent's color screen...).  Any rumors?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:49:34 pm by Dave92F1 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 01:15:24 am »
Sorry I can't answer all your questions.

Fan cooled and barely heard at arms length.
Continuity fast but not loud, could be a little louder IMO.
I find the UI intuitive and because of this I have yet to look at the Full manual.

User manual:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Documents/UserManual/SDM3055x_UserManual_UM06035-E02A.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 01:27:25 am »
IMHO it's a pity more and more basic equipment gets equiped with a fan. I prefer my equipment as quiet as possible.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 02:32:31 am »
IMHO it's a pity more and more basic equipment gets equiped with a fan. I prefer my equipment as quiet as possible.
More and more? Older equipment has far more and far noisier fans than modern equipment. Modern instruments can be quite annoying, but they are far less annoying than old stuff. I do agree that quiet is good, and that modern instruments should have quieter fans, but lets be realistic about historic trends,

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 12:27:32 pm »
Well something simple like a DMM or a frequency counter shouldn't need a fan. The same goes for a frequency generator. If they are more clever about the thermal design (read: use the casing as a heatsink) then fans can be omitted in many cases.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline mikeleg

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 11:44:17 pm »
I'm having the same issue with my Siglent SDM3055.  I also received my meter from TEquipment.net back in December after waiting almost a month.  I've used it a couple of times without an issue, but today when I turned it got stuck on the Siglent splash screen.  I've tried unplugging it a couple of times but the same thing.  Not good!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 11:51:33 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

For a local recommendation you need to put your country flag in you profile.

In the first instance you would be best to contact your supplier, TE is an authorised Siglent agent.

Edit
Siglent support that are active on the forum are on holiday till next week.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:53:21 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mikeleg

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 09:44:13 pm »
scott.rocco at siglent.com was quick to send me a RMA number.  :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:05:24 am by mikeleg »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 01:59:18 am »
Maybe you can acknowledge that scott was prompt to help you, without placing his business email address  so spambots don't pick up on it.

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 06:42:39 am »
Hi guys,
We have released the new firmware for SDM3055 series, please find it here.
http://siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/sdm305-V100R001B01D01P11R1.zip
The Best Value in Electronic Test & Measurement

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf