Author Topic: Configurable 3D printed Lens Holder for Flir Exx series  (Read 1731 times)

Offline _Wim_Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Configurable 3D printed Lens Holder for Flir Exx series
« on: October 23, 2021, 05:58:21 pm »
Hi,
I made a configurable lens holder for the Flir EXX series. My goal was to test the lenses I bought here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/trumpf-znse-lenses-large-diameter-long-focal-length/msg3043718/#msg3043718

and to learn fusion360 along the way. To learn fusion I watched many of the video’s in this excellent playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrZ2zKOtC_-DR2ZkMaK3YthYLErPxCnT-

To change the design to a specific lens, the following procedure must be followed:
1) Unzip & open file FlirEXXLensHolderV3 v16.zip  in Fusion360 (free hobbyist version is ok, is also what I used)
2) Open the user parameter screen (under “modify” => “change parameters”)
3) Enter the following parameters (in mm)
     • LensDistance: desired distance between the Flix EXX lens and the add-on lens
     • LensDiameter: outside diameter of the add-on lens
     • LensThickness: thickness of the add-on lens
     • ThreadOffset: additional clearance for 3D printing threads (0.2mm worked fine on my printer)
     • DiameterOffset: is added to “LensDiameter” to ensure opening is wide enough (3D printer typically print a hole a little smaller). 0.2mm worked fine in my case
4) I did not find a way to update the thread automatically (any tips?), so both the inner & outer thread need to be updated manually:   
     • Right Click on one of the 2 thread features in the lower left corner & select “edit feature”
     • 2 parameters will need to be changed: size & designation
             * Size: aim for a value of “LensDiameter” + 6mm
             * Designation: M.. x 2 seems to print fine on my printer
     • Repeat the above for the second thread feature
     • Be sure to check the section view that everything looks ok after updating the thread size!

That is it! Now you have a design for a Flir Exx lens holder. To export to 3MF or STL, right click on each component (Lensholder & ScrewCap) as select “save as mesh”

I have also added a few 3mf files that can be printed directly (3MF files.zip), see second post
“38mm”
     • LensDistance: 20mm
     • LensDiameter: 38mm
     • LensThickness: 7mm
     • ThreadOffset: 0.2mm
     • DiameterOffset: 0.2mm

“38mm short”
     • LensDistance: 10mm
     • LensDiameter: 38mm

“40mm”
     • LensDiameter: 40mm

“50mm”
     • LensDiameter: 50mm
     • LensThickness: 9mm

Background info: to make this drawing, I used the following principle:
1) Scanned the bottom part of the original Flir plastic part on an office document scanner
2) Inverted this scanned image, and imported this as a “canvas”
3) Used the “calibrate canvas” function to size the canvas to the correct dimensions
4) With the canvas as a reference, I made a 2D sketch to exactly match the canvas (sketchRing)
5) This sketch was then extruded to the correct thickness, with created the mounting ring
6) Perpendicular to this, a second sketch was made to define the lens holder profile (sketchHolderProfile)
7) This profile was then revolved 360° creating the entire holder

The following users thanked this post: Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Configurable 3D printed Lens Holder for Flir Exx series
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 05:58:57 pm »
The 3MF files...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 05:59:46 pm »
Actual printed examples...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 06:12:11 pm by _Wim_ »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 08:12:06 pm »
_Wim_

Thank you for sharing your work here  :-+ That is an excellent lens holder design  :-+  :-+

I need to learn to use Fusion 360 as well. These designs are exactly what I would like to be able to do for various lens adapters that I need.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 08:18:32 pm »
I need to learn to use Fusion 360 as well. These designs are exactly what I would like to be able to do for various lens adapters that I need.

I really recommend the video series linked above. I started with no prior knowledge (only worked a little in Sketchup before), and spent about an evening or 5 watching the videos and making the above lens holder drawing. It is of course still beginner level, but just like you, my main goal was to be able to do these simple things myself.

The following users thanked this post: Fraser

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 10:33:49 pm »
_Wim_,

Your words have given me hope. Like you I have used Sketchup a little for projects but other people with more knowledge than me said that I was making life hard for myself and should use Fusion 360 which is better suited to the 3D printed engineering that I want to do. For a start, Sketchup struggles with nice curves as it forms them from many straight lines. I own a Tiertime UP! BOX+ that has served me very well with no fettling of the machine needed to date….it just works  :-+

Thanks again for your helpful comments  :)

Time to watch those videos and learn. I previously bought some of those sophisticated Connexion Spacemouse and SpacePilot 3D modelling joystick/mouse things that are designed to aid 3D modelling. Time to test them out :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 02:05:17 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 05:46:23 am »
I previously bought some of those sophisticated Connexion Spacemouse and SpacePilot 3D modelling joystick/mouse things that are designed to aid 3D modelling. Time to test them out :)

That looks like a couple of days extra learning for you with so much buttons on a mouse like that!  :-DD

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 11:24:41 am »
They look complicated but are really just a shortcut to keyboard functions plus 3D rotation tool. They are not the primary drawing tool and you still use a conventional mouse for that. If right handed, the mouse is in your right hand and the SpacePilot is in your left hand. The SpacePilot allows you to control the 3D angle of view and different drawing functions easily. These units are supposed to make life easier as rotating the object being drawn is so easy. I bought mine used for a good price and ended up with three different models. Sadly the oldest model is not compatible with some of the latest software. These units integrate with the 3D drawing package at the software level and the one I have that has a LCD panel, provides direct communications with many 3D drawing packages to display functions on the screen for quick selection. All clever stuff but sadly these are expensive if bought new. I will learn the basics of 3D drawing with Fusion 360 before complicating things with these clever accessories !

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 11:26:15 am by Fraser »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf