Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3804023 times)

Offline Loafdude

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #1225 on: November 12, 2013, 11:00:39 pm »
Unless you've unboxed one in the supply chain that has v20 I dont see your point

EDIT**

Aurora has gone and deleted his posts from this thread as they made him look like an idiot.
This in turn has taken this and the post above out of contect.

Aurora "had a feeling" that the next batch of 30 E4 cameras due into PASS in the UK were going to be updated to a un-exploitable firmware.
The post above point 1) was in response to this 'feeling' he had.
I felt it was unfounded.

Between the previous post and this one he posted calling me a troll, that he has been PM'ing people back and forth and knows more than I and that people who do not know anything shouldn't post.

I believe instead of standing by his posts he deleted them so he didn't look stupid in a few days when those 30 E4's show up with exploitable firmware.

If I'm wrong I will stand by my posts and be wrong and admit I'm wrong.
Too bad he can't and has ALREADY abandoned this thread to save his ego
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:53:45 am by Loafdude »

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1226 on: November 12, 2013, 11:01:40 pm »
I tried some mild shock therapy to see if i could make it move, but no effect.
I guess i have three options
1. Send it in and risk a firmware update
2. Take it apart to clean sensor and void warranty (and possibly not fix it anyway)
3. Live with it

The auto hotspot feature was quite nice, but that dot screws it up pretty badly.
You could try unscrewing the lens if you can make a tool.
Taking apart is not hard and I didn't encounter any warranty seals.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online amiq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1227 on: November 12, 2013, 11:02:37 pm »
Just been advised of my VAT/Duty charges for importing an E4 to the UK ($980 including shipping) - £238!!

Offline equinoxe

• Contributor
« Reply #1228 on: November 12, 2013, 11:14:16 pm »
Just been advised of my VAT/Duty charges for importing an E4 to the UK ($980 including shipping) - £238!!

That is exactly the reason why Mike doesn't review stuff without the shipper agreeing to pay the VAT/Duty charges.. ;)

Offline sipo75

• Contributor
« Reply #1229 on: November 12, 2013, 11:17:16 pm »
Jesus people, calm the f*ck down.

Wise words.

Allow me to add.

Jesus people, don't tell your supplier that you are ordering because there is a hack out in the wild and post it here that you did tell them. That is not going to help anyone and might put an unexpected pressure on the supplier.

Online G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1230 on: November 12, 2013, 11:35:26 pm »
Looks a lot like dust on the sensor.

Bit out of my depth here because I probably know a lot less about TICs than most people on here but could this be proved by flicking the lens cover to closed  and letting the sensor reach equilibrium?

Would the spot then disappear? (or at least fade a bit?)

Offline Uup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1231 on: November 12, 2013, 11:39:43 pm »
I received my E4 last Friday however only got around to installing the hack just now (firmware 1.18.7). I stopped work and did the hack after reading that someone tried to install Flir Tools and that they implied that it had been updated to prevent hacking! :scared: Obviously they were mistaken as I had no issues with Flir Tools or doing the hack. :phew:

What an improvement in performance! I wasn’t expecting the improvement to be so significant. I’ll definitely be trying Taucher’s menu hacks next. Thanks again to Mike and all the others who made this hack possible.  :-+

Oh, and on a slightly off topic rant... Does anyone else find it annoying how people delete and/or heavily edit their posts after posting? :rant:

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1232 on: November 12, 2013, 11:40:33 pm »
Jesus people, don't tell your supplier that you are ordering because there is a hack out in the wild and post it here that you did tell them. That is not going to help anyone and might put an unexpected pressure on the supplier.

Yeah, i agree. You never know how they are going to react. PASS seem to be fine about it but that could change if we get a 30/60fps hack working.

If a FPS hack is eventually discovered the supplier may decide shipping units able to be hacked to 30+fps under 9fps export rules is too risky.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline ViciousPest

• Contributor
« Reply #1233 on: November 13, 2013, 02:27:21 am »
Hmm huge drop in post count? Someones cleaning up maybe?

Offline ViciousPest

• Contributor
« Reply #1234 on: November 13, 2013, 02:41:28 am »

Yeah, weren't we at 93 pages or so a few hours ago? ??? :scared:

From when I started counting...we had 1379 posts. Thats a lot by one user. I guess we missed the memo?

Offline Uup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1235 on: November 13, 2013, 03:16:17 am »
Now it's at 88. This is damn weird.

1308 posts at the time of this edit -- it was 1314 a few minutes ago. Whoever is deleting these posts -- who are you?

It appears as though Aurora is deleting his posts for some reason. Perhaps he received some negative feedback from his more recent posts and decided to pull the plug.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #1236 on: November 13, 2013, 03:36:45 am »
there is no NDA, you didnt sign shit, there is only some sales dude feeding you nice stories
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline Loafdude

• Contributor
« Reply #1237 on: November 13, 2013, 03:41:20 am »
Breached NDA....going silent
:blah: Protecting sourcecs  :blah: NDA

I am very sceptical that he was under any NDA.
The only sensitive information I saw him hint at was the possibility that the next batch of TICs have updated firmware.
His discussions have included contacting a Flir distributor and contacting Flir while waiting for answers from both. This would imply that he is not directly associated with either. Therefor who could he possibly be under NDA with that would have been violated by the content of this thread?  ???
If he actually HAS violated an NDA it was incredibly strict and he violated it over a week ago and shouldn't have been posting here in the first place.

There was no NDA
He has no real information
He has no source to protect besides his ego

He has now chosen the nuclear option and made this thread disjointed in the process. THANK YOU AURORA!

##EDIT
What I think happened for those that missed the last page before it was deleted
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg329268/#msg329268

##EDIT
edited his post
NDA....going silent. Sorry can't say more.

My Posts on thermal camera related stuff had to go.

##EDIT
Post is now gone
Just keeping this for history. Apparently with all his edits/deletions we have to document his posts
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:01:17 am by Loafdude »

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #1238 on: November 13, 2013, 04:01:38 am »
Whatever dude ..... tell it to someone who actually cares !

There is more than one sort of NDA  ;) but you are too dumb to know that obviously.

nah, I just can spot bs, and you scream easy mark (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg325643/#msg325643) from the distance, you ate everything this sales guy told you starting with 'we barely make any money' and 'special discount but remember I wont feed my kids today thats how much I value you as a customer" :)

and no, there are no special over the phone NDAs. You either sign something, or you dont. Verbal contracts are null and void without any witnesses or recordings.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #1239 on: November 13, 2013, 04:06:04 am »
nah, I just can spot bs, and you scream easy mark (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg325643/#msg325643) from the distance, you ate everything this sales guy told you starting with 'we barely make any money' and 'special discount but remember I wont feed my kids today thats how much I value you as a customer" :)

and no, there are no special over the phone NDAs. You either sign something, or you dont. Verbal contracts are null and void without any witnesses or recordings.

I dunno what NDA Aurora is under, but it strikes me as you guys attacking his posts because of a personality conflict - but it's indisputable that he had a lot of detailed info on this thread and is clearly not just some hack.

Also, the bolded part you wrote above is completely untrue.  Verbal contracts *are* binding.  The "without witnesses or recordings" part leads me to believe you are saying that a person can just deny they made the verbal contract and nobody can prove otherwise.  That may be true if you have no morals or ethics, and in that case, a bright future in the used car sales industry awaits.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #1240 on: November 13, 2013, 04:25:27 am »
Also, the bolded part you wrote above is completely untrue.  Verbal contracts *are* binding.  The "without witnesses or recordings" part leads me to believe you are saying that a person can just deny they made the verbal contract and nobody can prove otherwise.  That may be true if you have no morals or ethics, and in that case, a bright future in the used car sales industry awaits.

My first job was helping out and later selling used Trucks on family owned lot :)
This is why I spot gullible people buying into salesman pitch from mile away. I have nothing against Aurora personally, I just dont like childish naivety.
Have no doubt, there are no morals in business. "Dont tell anyone" is not an NDA, and is as enforceable as "I promise to ship it first thing in the morning".

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #1241 on: November 13, 2013, 04:35:17 am »

My first job was helping out and later selling used Trucks on family owned lot :)
This is why I spot gullible people buying into salesman pitch from mile away. I have nothing against Aurora personally, I just dont like childish naivety.
Have no doubt, there are no morals in business. "Dont tell anyone" is not an NDA, and is as enforceable as "I promise to ship it first thing in the morning".

I was keeping up with the thread several times a day - maybe there were some posts I missed, but I don't think so - and from what I saw, you guys are assuming the "NDA" was something between him and the salesman.  But he never said that - it's an assumption on you guys' part, right?

From my reading of all his posts, it's pretty clear he is "in the biz" somehow.  For all we know, he works for a company that buys alot of FLIR sensors, and is under NDA at work.  Who knows - but one thing is for sure, none of us know what specific NDA exists, and honestly, it's not really our place to guess at it, and it's not fair to guess and then bash the guy based on our guesses. 

At the end of the day, if he feels he wants to pull back, how is that worthy of ridicule?  It's not like if he got in trouble for it, you and the rest of the posters are the ones to suffer the ramifications. 

Since he has voluntarily excused himself from the thread, it's poor manners to shit on the guy based on what people guess was his reasons for doing so.

As for the contract thing, "there are no morals in business" is not only complete bullshit, it's also untrue, especially in the context of what you wrote.  If you have no problem committing fraud to earn a buck, that's your problem - I feel sorry for anyone who suffers that particular character flaw.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1242 on: November 13, 2013, 04:36:32 am »
 :wtf: You silly people. Oh well.

I think I still have most of it. Unfortunately not all of it. DOH! There was still some good material by Aurora between last mirror and the starting point of you guys' pissing contest. |O

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1243 on: November 13, 2013, 04:49:32 am »
Some random scripted measurements. Alarms work as well, which is nice. :)

Offline Loafdude

• Contributor
« Reply #1244 on: November 13, 2013, 04:54:05 am »
Aurora made himself look like a fool and then nuked the thread

Self-nuke complete! Recover what you wish, I don't particularly care  O0

Just did it for fun.

The guy edits his posts all the time so as to not look stupid.
He uses multiple accounts and plays them against each other (those posts are deleted too)
Also he treats people who question his vague assertions as trolls.
I followed the thread and most of his posts were simply discussions regarding PASS in the UK, E4 availability or speculation.
I can't recall seeing any original work on this hack by him?

People who dedicate so much time to a forums like this generally have to partake in every thread they possibly can and they will protect their standing on the forum even if it means deleting posts. 

Admins should restore the threads deleted posts IMO. Let him stand by what he said

Taucher and Mike are the real contributors in this thread. The vast majority of the rest of us are testers and noise (including me)
All hail Taucher and Mike! Thank you! Lets get back on topic!

##EDIT
I was wrong thinking Aurora and StevenWhitney were the same person
Ignore me. Sorry everyone
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:30:54 am by Loafdude »

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #1245 on: November 13, 2013, 04:56:47 am »
At the end of the day, if he feels he wants to pull back, how is that worthy of ridicule?  It's not like if he got in trouble for it, you and the rest of the posters are the ones to suffer the ramifications.

Deleting own posts is fine by me, claiming NDA is what irked me. Either he was under one whole time and didnt think for a second (highly unlikely and very stupid), or got convinced post facto it would be 'better' to remove oneself from this discussion (for good or wrong reasons).
I guess you are right, whatever, not my problem.

As for the contract thing, "there are no morals in business" is not only complete bullshit, it's also untrue, especially in the context of what you wrote.  If you have no problem committing fraud to earn a buck, that's your problem - I feel sorry for anyone who suffers that particular character flaw.

I have no problem spotting it. I dont work in sales anymore.
I feel sorry for anyone who still believes in morals and ethics when money are on the line. Next thing you will try to convince me Politicians just want our good :)

Not to make it entirely off topic look at FLIR, is it moral to sell same hardware at four different price points? How do you feel reading Datasheet that claims E8 has better sensitivity? To put it bluntly this datasheed is a manufactured lie.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1246 on: November 13, 2013, 05:00:49 am »
If you're so eager, I posted a possible 30 Hz hack some pages ago that nobody tried on real hw yet :p

Could you summarize it for me please?  ;D I did check your older posts, but no things clicked in terms of a workable idea. So I am probably missing something. Besides sleep.  ;D

Offline ViciousPest

• Contributor
« Reply #1247 on: November 13, 2013, 05:03:16 am »
If you're so eager, I posted a possible 30 Hz hack some pages ago that nobody tried on real hw yet :p

Could you summarize it for me please?  ;D I did check your older posts, but no things clicked in terms of a workable idea. So I am probably missing something. Besides sleep.  ;D

Second this notion...something tells me my e4 will arrive tomorrow then its time for some  :-/O

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #1248 on: November 13, 2013, 05:11:26 am »
Deleting own posts is fine by me, claiming NDA is what irked me. Either he was under one whole time and didnt think for a second (highly unlikely and very stupid), or got convinced post facto it would be 'better' to remove oneself from this discussion (for good or wrong reasons).
I guess you are right, whatever, not my problem.

Could be - but I am sure we have all made mistakes where we got overly enthusiastic and regretted it later, or were guilty of thinking something was more private than it really was.  Ultimately, we aren't the ones to suffer the consequences, so it seems unfair to bash the guy for watching out for himself.

I have no problem spotting it. I dont work in sales anymore.
I feel sorry for anyone who still believes in morals and ethics when money are on the line. Next thing you will try to convince me Politicians just want our good :)

I think the "no morals in business" thing is a mischaracterization.  I've dealt with some snakes, and when I find out they are snakes, I don't do business with them anymore.  I had a delivery driver once ask me what was in a package he was delivering (it was 10 reels of some Cree LED's).  The shipment value was around $10k, and there were special procedures in place for the delivery.  He took me aside and told me those procedures were in place up to $5,000... and suggested I order just under $5,000 worth of the LED's, and he would give them to me without scanning the package, and I would claim they were never delivered and pay him $1,000.  I get $5k of LED's cheap, and he gets $1,000.  Of course it would be illegal and unethical, and I would never do such a thing.  But making a verbal contract then lying and saying it never happened is also fraud.  It may be hard to prove, but fraud is fraud.  I don't see a lot of that stuff in business, or even much unethical stuff.  Unethical companies and businesses usually don't last long.

Not to make it entirely off topic look at FLIR, is it moral to sell same hardware at four different price points? How do you feel reading Datasheet that claims E8 has better sensitivity? To put it bluntly this datasheed is a manufactured lie.

I think it is moral.. nobody is being tricked into buying anything.  The E4/E5/E6/E8 specs are clearly listed and people can buy or not buy the product.  I think most of us agree that if someone is selling thermography work, then buying an E4 and hacking it is bad business - and fraud if one claims their hardware performs at E8 levels when it's a hacked E4.  Many people won't see the value in the added cost of an E8, but I don't fault FLIR for offering the product to willing buyers.

Offline Loafdude

• Contributor
« Reply #1249 on: November 13, 2013, 05:13:55 am »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg323991/#msg323991

##EDIT added quote

in appcore.exe, modify the 4 bytes at 0x001016ec from "05 00 a0 e1" to "01 00 a0 e3"
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:16:47 am by Loafdude »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf