Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3801335 times)

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #1850 on: November 27, 2013, 03:41:30 pm »
@PW: "1235" is a string directly near "Locked" and "Unlocked" ... might be worth a try ... also the MAC address starting with 00:40:7F: ....

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1851 on: November 27, 2013, 03:51:05 pm »
it means there will be code to compare the PW ... so the solution is probably already somewhere in the IDA files :)
edit: ...if not ... then a bruteforce hack is still scriptable :)
That I will readily agree to. :)

Seeing your other post ... tested 1235 yet? And that MAC is indeed very Flirry.

Which reminds me. I have tried some more DHCP, with added M$ bullshit fields in the DISCOVERY and REQUEST packets. At first I thought they did something dodgy in the initial stages. So I faked a lease with the right values already set, and set it to be a valid lease. That way the dhcp client (dhclient in this case) will skip the discovery and do a straight up request for those fields. So the request had the exact same fields in it as the windoze equivalent. Still no response whatsoever. It's not a port thing either, Flir uses default ports etc.

Offline KingVidiot

• Contributor
« Reply #1852 on: November 27, 2013, 03:53:19 pm »

I just got my E4 yesterday, and "as is" it's a pretty cool device. I ordered it from Transcat about a week ago, since they were the only place with stock out of about 25 places I called. The firmware is 1.18… which is nice.

So now I really want to take the upgrade plunge, but I'm a little lost on what are the latest steps for the hack. Please forgive my ignorance, but I wan't to get in and out smoothly.

Can you post the link for the latest directions and the software download? It requires a cable connection, right? If so then do I have to open the unit or can I do it over USB? I thought I read that this unit has no Wi-Fi, since that's on the Exx series.

I also read somewhere about a menu hack to add the extra color templates which sounds great. Is that a completely different procedure or is that wrapped into the latest "E8" hack? If it's separate I would like to add that as well. Someone mentioned an insulation template that sounded cool.

After doing these mods, is it easy to get back to factory settings in case I need to send it in for warranty service or post-warranty service?

Does adding these mods affect the calibration or accuracy of the readings? I think someone said it would stop the constant calibration interruption, but can that be turned back on if necessary? I mainly want it off for the video stream, but I don't mind having it on if I'm just surveying something and I want more accuracy. Can the HUD info be turned off while I'm streaming the video to my laptop over USB and then be turned back on?

Sorry for all the questions, but I didn't see all this in one place, and I wanted to be up to date on the settings and procedures. Perhaps other newbies like me will benefit from having this all in a single post.

Thanks again for any help, and I really appreciate the info and humor on this forum.

I'm working at the zoo this weekend, so I can't wait to try getting all kinds of thermal animal footage.The higher res and other new features will be very cool. I will post my stuff right away.

One last thing. Does anyone know of a small digital recorder that will take the USB video stream from the E4 so I don't have to carry around a laptop all the time to record video. I don't want to take my laptop in with the raccoons for obvious reasons.  :D

Offline funzt

• Contributor
« Reply #1853 on: November 27, 2013, 03:56:11 pm »
1235 :-+

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1854 on: November 27, 2013, 03:57:06 pm »

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1855 on: November 27, 2013, 04:01:09 pm »
1235 :-+

Sweet. :)
haha, just by looking at appcore with a hex-ed... had no time to test...  :)

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1856 on: November 27, 2013, 04:02:31 pm »
Can you post the link for the latest directions and the software download? It requires a cable connection, right? If so then do I have to open the unit or can I do it over USB?

If you're on windows, see Taucher's EzCRC01.

And yes that will work over USB.

If you want telnet + ftp capability you'll have to put your E4 into RNDIS (networkey modey) with:

menu => settings => device settings => camera information => hold RIGHT cursor key for 10 seconds => select USB mode => RNDIS + UVC.

After that your windoze should setup an additional network adapter. After that you can check with your browser on 192.168.0.2 if it works. Also ftp and telnet should work.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 04:04:27 pm by mrflibble »

Online max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1857 on: November 27, 2013, 04:10:26 pm »
Taucher small no agreement
It has to translate from English into Polish for "viewers" from Poland
If anyone here is from Poland :)
 :palm:

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1858 on: November 27, 2013, 04:16:01 pm »
Taucher small no agreement
It has to translate from English into Polish for "viewers" from Poland
If anyone here is from Poland :)
 :palm:
exactly what it does - take English text and output Polish text
sl = source language = en
tl = target language = pl
u = url
hl = homepage language - set also to PL here...

http://translate.google.pl/translate?hl=pl&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=en&tl=pl&u=https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/

if you want to translate text then just use/visit the translate.google services

Online max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1859 on: November 27, 2013, 04:35:56 pm »
Translation by Google comes out sometimes differently, sometimes overlook nonsense..  :--

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1860 on: November 27, 2013, 04:38:23 pm »

So now I really want to take the upgrade plunge, but I'm a little lost on what are the latest steps for the hack. Please forgive my ignorance, but I wan't to get in and out smoothly.
The first message in this thread is kept up to date with links to most current info
One last thing. Does anyone know of a small digital recorder that will take the USB video stream from the E4 so I don't have to carry around a laptop all the time to record video. I don't want to take my laptop in with the raccoons for obvious reasons.  :D
Not offhand - the internal memory has room for about 500 shots though, but can't do video.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Myself

• Contributor
« Reply #1861 on: November 27, 2013, 05:40:42 pm »

You may be able to do this with an Android phone: http://www.infinitegra.co.jp/en/solution/AndroidApp1.htm

I'm not sure what format the video comes across in, but if V4L supports the camera, you should be good. (I haven't ordered my E4 yet but have been following this thread for a few days.) Let us know if it works!

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1862 on: November 27, 2013, 05:47:37 pm »
I'm not sure what format the video comes across in, but if V4L supports the camera, you should be good. (I haven't ordered my E4 yet but have been following this thread for a few days.) Let us know if it works!

V4L2 supports it, that's what I use with mencoder + mplayer to record/view it.

Offline iceisfun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1863 on: November 27, 2013, 06:02:31 pm »
I think its time for a Menzoberranzan Edition boot screen

Offline iceisfun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1864 on: November 27, 2013, 06:15:30 pm »
How do you get the rset commands to stick through a restart?

Depending on what part of the resource tree ... making a .cfg with a CRC01 , or making a .rsc with a CRC32

So what particular rset commands do you want to make persistent?

I was considering disabling the auto cal stuff, it causes a lot of stutters and you can still do a manual cal with the play button.

Is there a setting to expand the auto cal delay? If it happened less often that would be awesome!

So I just create a .cfg file with the settings and place it in the zip file and reupload it?

Does it matter which folder its in or does the whole structure get searched?

Thanks

Offline Bandrik

« Reply #1865 on: November 27, 2013, 06:27:37 pm »
(questions and stuff went here)

Hey there KingVidiot. I can help with a few of these. Not being an expert, I invite others to chime in on the parts I'm unsure on (or correct me where I'm incorrect).

Can you post the link for the latest directions and the software download? It requires a cable connection, right? If so then do I have to open the unit or can I do it over USB?
The first page has a link to the latest version of the E4 to E8 hack instructions, with a download of the files you'll need. It uses USB, so no screwdrivers necessary. No Wi-Fi on this model. I'm considering making a "for dummies" walkthrough guide for those totally new at modding things or not computer savvy and need a little extra help.

I also read somewhere about a menu hack to add the extra color templates which sounds great. Is that a completely different procedure or is that wrapped into the latest "E8" hack?
Different procedure. A few pages back someone listed a more step-by-step means of doing it. Like above, I may make a "dummies" walkthrough.

After doing these mods, is it easy to get back to factory settings in case I need to send it in for warranty service or post-warranty service?
There are instructions for undoing the E4 to E8 hack, and the second hack that adds menus is as simple as reinstating the original files (assuming you make a backup before copying over the modded files). Not sure if the factory can detect any hacking after these "undo" steps are performed.

Does adding these mods affect the calibration or accuracy of the readings? I think someone said it would stop the constant calibration interruption, but can that be turned back on if necessary? I mainly want it off for the video stream, but I don't mind having it on if I'm just surveying something and I want more accuracy. Can the HUD info be turned off while I'm streaming the video to my laptop over USB and then be turned back on?
Not sure, but I don't think it affects accuracy. I didn't notice any talk about pausing the constant calibration interruption, and I would be VERY interested in learning how to do that myself. As for video stream, I think the HUD is "baked into" the video output as Mike mentioned that during his review.

Does anyone know of a small digital recorder that will take the USB video stream from the E4
Looks like the tip above on using an Android device is your best bet.

Offline Alphatronique

• Regular Contributor
    • Alphatronique Inc.
« Reply #1866 on: November 27, 2013, 06:28:02 pm »
Hi Mike

PDF on that link in first page was now gone ...  ,some one probably got a call ;-)

Tech notes documenting network modes using RNDIS http://www.imc-store.com.au/v/vspfiles/assets/images/flir%20a310%20technical%20notes.pdf

and seem that tequipment ship date was very approximative  ,claiming it got delay since need a export approval ...
Marc Lalonde CID.  IPC Certified PCB Designer.
Alphatroniqe inc.   www.alphatronique.com

Offline maex

• Contributor
AW: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #1867 on: November 27, 2013, 06:32:43 pm »
It is possible to get a full system image from an E30 or E40?

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1868 on: November 27, 2013, 06:43:41 pm »
Good news!  just received mine today and it has version 1.19.8

(ordered from the new batch at tequipment Monday)

Now to sort out why parallels isn't seeing it...

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1869 on: November 27, 2013, 06:46:38 pm »
Sorted it out... For some reason when I told it to assign the USB device it ignored me  :--

Got it to send the file, all looks good now!   :-+

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1870 on: November 27, 2013, 06:47:13 pm »
I got mine 10 min ago  :clap:
Model: Flir E8+  :-+ :-DD
Site: Flir systems ou Estonia
Calibration date: November 22, 2013
SW-Version? :)

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1871 on: November 27, 2013, 06:51:31 pm »
what's your date of calibration?

I think we can call that report on unhackable firm definately a troll

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1872 on: November 27, 2013, 07:03:01 pm »
what's your date of calibration?

I think we can call that report on unhackable firm definately a troll

Sorry VERY new to this, where would I find it?   :palm:

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1873 on: November 27, 2013, 07:04:48 pm »
Here is a before and after (after is on top)

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1874 on: November 27, 2013, 07:06:09 pm »
A couple more

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf