Author Topic: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion  (Read 108699 times)

Offline Aku

Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #275 on: November 15, 2023, 06:36:43 am »
Hello everyone.
Got me a T2 pro with USB-C for android. Got Xiaomi mi 8, OTG is on. Application just doesn't see camera. Only original application says Xinfrared says "this version is not compatible with android 10". PC apps from manufacturer's website also don't see it. Support tries to give me another version of APK, but it's all the same. They already suggest to try another phone. Some random samsung also didn't react. Only PC sees it as web camera. Telegram shows some green noise as image, it does even react in a way on hand wave.
Any advice on what to do? Return to store? :(

Offline Evi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #276 on: November 15, 2023, 07:58:07 am »
Exactly the same thing.

Offline Pinörkel

• Contributor
« Reply #277 on: November 15, 2023, 08:16:32 am »
@Aku & Evi: Did you ensure to give the camera and the app all necessary access rights? The P2pro app was not able to detect the camera on the devices I tried, unless I also gave it permission to access location based services.

Offline Aku

« Reply #278 on: November 15, 2023, 09:36:20 am »
@Pinörkel
I press yes on any it wants. Switched forced OTG and USB debugging. Or do I need something else?

Offline Evi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #279 on: November 15, 2023, 11:24:08 am »

Quote from: Pinörkel on Today at 02:16:32
@Aku & Evi: Did you ensure to give the camera and the app all necessary access rights? The P2pro app was not able to detect the camera on the devices I tried, unless I also gave it permission to access location based services.
P2pro - the only that works.

Offline ergya

• Contributor
« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2023, 06:38:39 pm »
Hi everyone, I've just got a P2 Pro. Works but noticed the unit itself is making random clicking noises (either the shutter or the focus) every 10-30 seconds or similar (rather random), even if I don't move the camera (-> focus) at all. There is an option called "Video Automatic Shutter Switch", I tried both state, not changing anyhting. Anyone else having the same or knows how to fix this?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 06:56:47 pm by ergya »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #281 on: November 20, 2023, 08:02:10 pm »
Hi everyone, I've just got a P2 Pro. Works but noticed the unit itself is making random clicking noises (either the shutter or the focus) every 10-30 seconds or similar (rather random), even if I don't move the camera (-> focus) at all. There is an option called "Video Automatic Shutter Switch", I tried both state, not changing anyhting. Anyone else having the same or knows how to fix this?
This is normal.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: ergya

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #282 on: November 20, 2023, 08:54:27 pm »
This is normal.
Good normal or normal = weird ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Pinörkel

• Contributor
« Reply #283 on: November 21, 2023, 12:13:53 am »
Good normal. That is just the shutter closing and opening for non uniformity correction (NUC). Without that, you would only see an extremely noisy image. The periodic NUC calibration is necessary to account for the changing sensor and device temperature. After a cold start of the camera, you can actually see a non-NUC corrected image before the first shutter click.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, ergya

Offline ergya

• Contributor
« Reply #284 on: November 21, 2023, 04:21:52 am »
Good normal. That is just the shutter closing and opening for non uniformity correction (NUC). Without that, you would only see an extremely noisy image. The periodic NUC calibration is necessary to account for the changing sensor and device temperature. After a cold start of the camera, you can actually see a non-NUC corrected image before the first shutter click.

Thanks everyone for helping, interesting to know. Wonder though how "badly" this will reduce the lifespan of the P2 Pro.

Offline Bob_McBob

• Contributor
« Reply #285 on: November 25, 2023, 02:55:27 pm »
Is there any way to record video on an Android phone without using a screen recorder? It's completely broken in the P2 Pro app in any recent version of Android, and it doesn't seem like they ever intend to fix it. Does this affect other Infiray products? Is there a similar alternative product I should consider? Very frustrating since it's quite reasonable otherwise.

Offline Pinörkel

• Contributor
« Reply #286 on: November 26, 2023, 04:15:02 pm »
Thanks everyone for helping, interesting to know. Wonder though how "badly" this will reduce the lifespan of the P2 Pro.
Mechanical parts are, of course susceptible to mechanical damage caused by using them. Camera internal shutters have the additional disadvantage that they are very inaccessible to repair attempts, while external shutter assemblies in more expensive setups can be replaced. If you are interested in some understanding of shuttered and shutter-less operation of thermal cameras, maybe this article contains some useful information: https://www.axiomoptics.com/blog/understanding-shuttered-vs-shutterless-operation-of-an-uncooled-lwir-camera/

Offline Evi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #287 on: November 26, 2023, 08:47:13 pm »
My P2 Pro does not click the shutter.
But image is OK
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 08:51:00 pm by Evi »

Offline blargg

• Contributor
« Reply #288 on: November 28, 2023, 06:12:14 am »
Is there any way to record video on an Android phone without using a screen recorder?

nExt Camera works with my P2 Pro and records very smooth 25 FPS video (and audio with the mic!), just no temperature information. The Topdon TC001 app also works with my P2 Pro and has all the temperature tools (The Topdon unit basically uses the same Infiray camera as the P2 Pro).

Offline Bob_McBob

• Contributor
« Reply #289 on: November 28, 2023, 01:22:05 pm »
nExt Camera works with my P2 Pro and records very smooth 25 FPS video (and audio with the mic!), just no temperature information. The Topdon TC001 app also works with my P2 Pro and has all the temperature tools (The Topdon unit basically uses the same Infiray camera as the P2 Pro).

nExt Camera works for me, but there doesn't seem to be a way to rotate the video to the correct orientation, and without temperature display it isn't a whole lot of use unfortunately. The TC001 app just displays a black screen and temperature of zero kelvin. My P2 Pro is brand new, perhaps they made a change that breaks compatibility?

Offline Bob_McBob

• Contributor
« Reply #290 on: December 04, 2023, 02:01:45 am »
I did some further testing. Apparently support for the P2 Pro was removed from the TC001 app at some point. I'm using an older APK from January and it records video fine and functions perfectly. I also tried some older versions of the actual P2 Pro app with no success. Videos come out looking like this no matter what I do. I'm not sure if it makes sense to keep the P2 Pro if I have to rely on old versions of the wrong app continuing to work in Android. It would be a bummer to lose the macro lens, but there are somewhat more expensive standalone products, as well as the TC001 of course.

Offline ksxx

• Contributor
« Reply #291 on: December 07, 2023, 09:04:50 am »
I did some further testing. Apparently support for the P2 Pro was removed from the TC001 app at some point. I'm using an older APK from January and it records video fine and functions perfectly.

Can you tell the source for the old APK? I couldnt find it yet. thanks!

Offline ksxx

• Contributor
« Reply #292 on: December 07, 2023, 10:22:53 am »
ok, I found it on apkpure...  |O

Offline Bob_McBob

• Contributor
« Reply #293 on: December 09, 2023, 03:29:49 pm »
ok, I found it on apkpure...  |O

Yep, APKPure is very handy for this. Note that you have to disable auto updates for the app and decline whenever it asks you in the app itself.

Offline bostwickenator

• Contributor
« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2023, 11:09:04 pm »
That video corruption issue is present on the pixel 8 devices. Not sure about other pixel phones. Doesn't happen on Samsung. I tried reverse engineering their app but they've made it non trivial. Looks to me like they have flipped the row and column lengths they supply to their internal FFmpeg library.

Offline christosnc

« Reply #295 on: December 16, 2023, 02:59:51 am »
Hello,

I have a P2 Pro and I'm trying to read the raw temp data. Thank you to all members who provided so much info!

TLDR: I get the bottom half of the image (raw data) but there are some issues. I see some clipping zones, and also the first row is completely wrong.

This is the ffmpeg command I use (I'm on a mac, change -f avfoundation to something else if you are on another platform)
Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -f avfoundation -framerate 25 -pixel_format yuyv422 -video_size 256x384 -i 'USB Camera' -vf 'crop=h=(ih/2):y=(ih/2)' -pix_fmt yuyv422 -f rawvideo - | ffplay -pixel_format gray16le -video_size 256x192 -f rawvideo -framerate 25 -i - -vf 'normalize=smoothing=10, format=pix_fmts=rgb48'

I also wrote a small program to get some readings, and the temp data (min, max, average) are about the same as in the android app. Except the first row (first 256 pixels), which is way off (~78ºC instead of ~20). The same can be also seen with the ffmpeg command shown above (white line on top).

The other obvious issue is the clipping/noise (you can clearly see it in the image, around the fingers). Those clipping patterns/areas are also visible in the greenish wrongly-parsed preview as well, exactly in the same positions but more pronounced.

I am just getting the bottom half of the stream, treating it as 2-bytes per pixel, little endian and that's it. In code I also tried to do some linear AGC scaling but the clipping/noise areas are still there. They do change on each calibration (shutter cycle of the camera)

Any help? I'm I missing something, is there some further processing that has to be done? (Thanks!)

[EDIT]

It looks like the issue is with ffmpeg. Somehow it messes-up the data, not giving actual raw values (or maybe the options I pass are not correct). With opencv I'm able to get proper data.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 02:36:04 am by christosnc »

Offline smile

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #296 on: December 16, 2023, 06:17:42 am »
Since IRCAM Thermal Viewer gone commercial by surprise and author is greedy bastard, I found worthy alternative for PC users.
PCXthermDemo
https://mega.nz/file/ViokiDjY#Ks6oYCTqVYnPhxVKK8ScOpNL2IhrvqTerYp8FLyuWOc

Sharp Infrared Analyzer 0.6.3 updateable
https://www.upload.ee/files/16057777/SharpInfraredAnalyzer-Setup_0.6.3.rc.exe.html
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 06:27:03 am by smile »

Offline Evi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #297 on: December 16, 2023, 07:23:07 am »
PCXthermDemo_v2r9 and PCXthermDemo_v2r11 crashed on Win10.

Sharp Infrared Analyzer 0.6.3 seems to work

Offline Pinörkel

• Contributor
« Reply #298 on: December 16, 2023, 10:44:42 pm »
Attention there... that Sharp Infrared Analyzer 0.6.3 file is ringing every virus scanner bell available in this part of germany.

Aside from that, from Windows 7/10/11, I found that a quite reliable way to get data from the P2 Pro is by installing libusbK with zadig and then use libusb to get the image data. I am also digging my way to get a solution working that includes the command interface. For this, I contacted the surprisingly good customer support at Infiray and got two seemingly beta state SDK compilations. The older one has all the code for the command interface and the newer one is encapsulating that in a separate lib with no source available, but with a better usable set of interface functions. The SDK is a modified version of  libuvc and among other things adds still image support and the command interface. The catch is: the current state does not work out of the box, but needs some bug fixing. Apart form one bug in the startup code or the resource management, which temporarily locks up the camera, I managed to solve the issues and communicated the solutions back to Infiray. In contrast to what everyone in the "IRCAM Thermal Viewer" bubble is willing to communicate, the command interface is no longer a repurposed UVC standard function for setting the absolute zoom that is fed with some 4-digit hexadecimal commands. Instead, the RTS5840/5830 chip  is used to relay I2C commands to the Tiny1C IR assembly. Once I get this working, I will forward the solution to Infiray, to make it available for everyone for free. Until now, they seemed pretty motivated to make the P2 Pro a great experience for everyone.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 09:59:02 pm by Pinörkel »

Offline Pinörkel

• Contributor
« Reply #299 on: December 22, 2023, 01:41:43 am »
Just in case you would find this useful: I just fiddled together a pull request for LeoDJs P2 Pro python project (https://github.com/LeoDJ/P2Pro-Viewer), that can access the camera via OpenCV and send some commands to the P2 Pro. The pull request adds commands for shutter control, basic NUC calibration (against shutter or background), and gain switching. There are additional Windows(7/10/11) specific add-ons for that in my fork of the project (https://github.com/Pinoerkel/P2Pro-Viewer), including a little command interface. Because this uses OpenCV, it should work without additional drivers in Windows, and with minor changes in LINUX as christosnc confirmed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf