Author Topic: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion  (Read 310997 times)

0 Members and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline FraserTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 15118
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #350 on: January 19, 2025, 11:59:28 am »
It may be a good idea to create a new thread for your software that includes TS001 in the title. This will make it more visible to TS001 owners and those interested in such software developments. It will also stop it getting buried in this P2 Pro thread over time.

Fraser
« Last Edit: January 19, 2025, 02:17:06 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c
 

Offline jdubs

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 4
  • Country: us
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #351 on: February 01, 2025, 09:39:24 pm »
My USB-C P2 Pro is patiently waiting for USB-C iPhone (e.g. 15+) support, which they said was coming "soon" over a year ago, but I've pretty much lost any hope. Maybe it's because Apple doesn't support UVC cameras on iOS? But they do support it on iPadOS, which doesn't work with the P2 Pro either. Does anyone have any info on what the holdup is? A technical limitation by Apple, or does InfiRay consider this product an old model and just isn't putting resources towards it anymore...?

It looks like the USB-C HIKMICRO Mini2Plus V2 has found a way to be dual iOS/Android compatible, so it is possible. But it's not available in the US, so for me it's not an option.
 

Offline mc84

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #352 on: February 07, 2025, 06:05:11 pm »
Hi all,
I've had my Thermal master P2 Pro a week now and I've noticed that on the side of the image there is a dot showing in the images. When I switch the auto hottest/coldest point measurement on, on occasion this dot gets measured as the temperature. Is this a fault with the device?

The dot can be seen clearly on the right hand side of the images

 

Offline FraserTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 15118
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #353 on: February 07, 2025, 06:59:09 pm »
Any pixel, or group of pixels, that are not brought to the same level as the rest of the image during a flat field correction event are out of specification. That said, some small difference in pixels can occur during use through individual pixel temperature drift characteristics. If the pixel causes the hot or cold spot tracking function to misbehave, that is a fault IMHO.

I suggest you contact the supplier and request an exchange.

Fraser
« Last Edit: February 07, 2025, 07:01:08 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c
 

Offline mc84

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #354 on: February 07, 2025, 08:10:10 pm »
Thanks for the response Fraser, I suspected this may be the case but I just wanted to be sure. The camera was bought directly from Thermal Master on Aliexpress - I was told by their customer support that it looked like a spec of dust on the sensor, but I'm not convinced. They offered me a partial refund, which I accepted, but now I'm realising this was a mistake and I should have just initiated a return. For some reason them issuing me a partial refund has now disabled the return option. I guess this was their motive so they could avoid accepting the return. My own fault for falling for this.

My only hope now is that they honour a warranty replacement but given track records of these companies for warranty replacements, I won't hold my breath.

 

Offline dbbk

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #355 on: February 07, 2025, 08:16:54 pm »
So I have a IOS P2 Pro which had the connector snapped off. Unfortunately due to apples DRM(?) chip etc... finding a replacement port is not easy.

I decided to solder a usb-c cable to the correct pins on the pcb and managed to get it showing in windows (see pic) however it does not show up as a uvc device, ive tried installing all kinds of drivers Infiray official, TopDon, generic libusbK drivers but still cannot get it to detect in any program (or show up as a uvc device).

If I install the official Infiray PC software/drivers during installation it detects "com.xinfrared.pios1" and installs "infiray falcon001 5840" but the actual windows program does not detect the camera (and the Infiray Falcon001 5840 driver doesn't seem to have uvc capability)

Anyone have any ideas on what I could try next, maybe try to solder to the camera module directly using the unlabeled test points?
 

Offline FraserTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 15118
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #356 on: February 07, 2025, 09:47:25 pm »
P2 and P2 iOS use different firmware. You are stuck with using that camera with an iOS device. Without the Apple ID IC you are stuck. Can you extract that IC from the remains of the iOS connector ?
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c
 

Offline dbbk

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #357 on: February 07, 2025, 10:07:24 pm »
Yeah I guess i could extract that chip and reball it onto a new apple c89 connector. To be honest I just assumed I could somehow wire up just the camera module for use only on a PC (and bypass the usb pcb)
 

Offline bomk

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 1
  • Country: pl
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #358 on: February 10, 2025, 09:49:03 am »
Hi. Any clue why these upscaled images from p2 pro are not correctly read by SharpInfraredAnalyzer (when upgraded it turns to Temp Master from ThermalMaster) ? When the image is shot with laptop it gets 256x190 and is editable in pc software but if I download stuff from phone directly it simply fails or gives black data.

ps: just a small edit - i've installed te temp master for android and the images taken by it are processable by PC. The drawback is i've lost 25fps (as in p2 pro app) and it feels like 10-15fps. Omg.  |O

ps2: i've turned off 'X3' option and it gets 25fps...

I assume I solved myself.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2025, 11:20:07 am by bomk »
 

Offline mc84

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #359 on: February 12, 2025, 06:23:15 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with Infiray/Xinfrared/Thermal master customer service in terms of warranty for faulty goods?

I have been in touch about the issue I noted about above and they have provided me with a UPS label that involves shipping the P2 Pro back to China. I am sat on the fence as to whether to risk it - if anything goes wrong I'm on my own. :-( I was wondering if anyone has had anything similar happen to them and if so was it a positive outcome?

EDIT: The other issue I'm concerned about is customs fees for the returned replacement, would I be yet again liable for this after having already been so the first time?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2025, 06:26:57 pm by mc84 »
 

Offline DaneLaw

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 988
  • Country: dk
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #360 on: February 12, 2025, 08:38:12 pm »
EDIT: The other issue I'm concerned about is customs fees for the returned replacement, would I be yet again liable for this after having already been so the first time?

I dont know how it is in England but in Denmark, its quite a bureaucratic hurdle to return items for repair and get a "repaired" item back without having to pay VAT yet again.

Quote
Danish custom board:
If your item needs to be sent for repair in a country outside the EU, you have the option of having the customs duty reduced so that you only have to pay customs duty and VAT on the repair costs and freight.
However, this requires that you contact your carrier and have the carrier apply for reduced customs duty for you before the item is shipped.
It is important that the carrier uses the outward processing customs procedure, otherwise you risk paying customs duty and VAT on the total amount of the item.
 

Offline mc84

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #361 on: February 15, 2025, 08:20:19 am »
Looking at the UK government website I think it may hold the same here. I also queried Thermal Master about this and they said they would mark the replacement as a 'sample' as to not attract any further VAT/duty. Not sure I'm happy about this as it breaks the outward processing rule and delegitimises the warranty process. If it did get caught up in customs, this may not end well. That's also assuming the thermal camera gets to its destination and if so, the company can really can do what they want, there's zero consumer protection and therefore the camera could go in to the ether and I lose everything.

To be honest given the risks associated with returning an item back to China with zero accountability, I think I'll just keep the camera and live with the problem. There are too many red flags with this and I wouldn't trust the warranty process that they claim on their website.

Motto of the story, try and order locally and pay more for peace of mind (if possible) or just hope that if you order one of these devices from AliExpress or directly from their website in China, that everything goes smoothly, because if it doesn't then you're pretty much on your own. :-(
 

Offline pdks

  • Newbie
  • !
  • Posts: 4
  • Country: tr
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #362 on: April 24, 2025, 10:48:25 am »
I finally found the information I have been looking for for a long time on this page  :)
MODERATOR EDIT: Account use to spam the URL to some crappy tool.
 

Offline ir-30thz

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #363 on: April 24, 2025, 09:26:55 pm »
I have been using an InfiRay P2  Pro with its macro lens as a part of an infra-red telescope to take pictures of the Moon.

The telescope is based on a modified Celestron FirstScope (75mm f4 spherical main mirror), The secondary mirror has been removed to eliminate infra-red radiation from it spoiling the image. As it is no longer used, the eyepiece focus tube has also been removed, The main mirror is tilted by a few degrees so that the focal point is just below the lower edge of the telescope tube (see attached ray diagram), and the P2 Pro is placed near to the focus. The telescope in this configuration was first used in the mid 1700s by William Herschel, the discoverer of the planet Uranus. A photo of the modified telescope with its red dot reflex sight is also attached.

The telescope has been used to obtain false colour infra-red images of the Moon from when it is a few days old (crescent) up to a full Moon. A few images are attached.

I have also been developing  another telescope using the P2 Pro and a 50mm f5 ZnSe lens. This has a resolution similar to that of the FirstScope Herschelian configuration.


 
The following users thanked this post: Fraser

Offline FraserTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 15118
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #364 on: April 25, 2025, 10:02:24 pm »
Robot300795,

It may be better to start a new thread to discuss the HikMicro Mini2PlusV2 as this is a thread for discussion of the Infiray P2 and things could get confusing if we start discussing image handling for that Hikmicro camera here.

Thanks

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 25, 2025, 10:48:42 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c
 

Offline robot300795

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: de
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #365 on: April 26, 2025, 02:38:15 pm »
ok, i opened a new thread
 

Offline ignilux

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 109
  • Country: us
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #366 on: May 20, 2025, 12:57:48 am »
Thinking of picking one of these up, but the Amazon listing for the USB-C Android version curiously states "Not suitable for Google Pixel phones". I have no idea why that would be the case... Can anyone confirm that they can use their P2 Pro with a Pixel? My daily driver is a 7A, but I would probably use this with my older Pixel 4A.
 

Offline FraserTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 15118
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #367 on: May 20, 2025, 10:51:31 am »
 It could be an issue with a particular Google Pixel and Android build.

A Google search quickly revealed Google Pixel users of the Infiray P2…….

https://www.reddit.com/r/Thermal/comments/1h83neh/infiray_p2_pro_and_google_pixel/

Sadly the numerous different platforms and Android builds can cause issues for some APPs so there is always the chance that an Android update can ‘break’ an APP that you use. The Google search for Pixel use with the P2 confirmed this situation and it was not limited to just the P2 camera !

https://www.reddit.com/r/Thermal/comments/1hubreg/infiray_p2pro_not_working_on_phone_but_works_on/

Fraser
« Last Edit: May 20, 2025, 10:53:46 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c
 

Offline shaling

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 16
  • Country: gb
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #368 on: May 26, 2025, 12:08:02 pm »
Hi,
I have Infiray P2Pro, which I was using with PyThermalCamera on github.

However this broke with a Python/Numpy update, so after digging deeper and understanding how the thermal data in handled, I created new Python/PyQtGraph application with much simplified data and GUI structure, as well as whole image radiometry output. I do not use the YUYV stream at all.

I have yet to implement "Save Video", but other functions are fully working.

That is, cycling colourmaps, subtracting background and saving thermal images to tiff files in full bit depth (viewable in ImageJ).

Tested in Linux and works with full device path to camera "--device /dev/video#".

GUI is editable in QtDesigner.

On Windows, I think path will need changing to an integer.

If people are interested, I will continue development.

Screenshots and code attached.

Thanks,

Shailen.
2575450-0
« Last Edit: May 26, 2025, 12:09:49 pm by shaling »
 

Offline simonesk

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 8
  • Country: it
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #369 on: May 27, 2025, 03:43:56 pm »

According to my reverse engineering the lower video frame contains the temperature data directly in Kelvin. It's 14-bit, shifted into the most significant bits, multiplied by a factor of 16.
So to get from the value from the camera to a temperature in °C, the formula is:
Code: [Select]
t = ((x >> 2) / 16) - 273.15
or simpler:
Code: [Select]
t = x / 64 - 273.15

Dear all,

I’ve just joined the forum, and I apologize in advance if this post is not in the right place.

I recently purchased a Thermal Master P2 camera, and I'm working on extracting temperature data from the raw image files for further analysis. So far, I’ve managed to retrieve the raw data from the JPG files and convert it to temperature using the formula suggested by LeoDJ (Thank you for that helpful insight!):

Code: [Select]
T = x / 64 - 273.15   (Eq. 1)

However, I’ve run into an issue when switching the camera to extended range mode (100–600°C). The conversion using Eq. 1 appears to give incorrect results, even though the Temp Master app and the saved JPG image show accurate temperatures.

I tested a hot source at approximately 280°C, verified with both the Thermal Master P2 and a FLIR E75 camera. Both cameras reported a consistent temperature of ~280°C, so I’m confident that’s the correct value. However, when I extract the raw values from the JPG and apply Eq. 1, I get a result of 310°C. In another test, a source at 310.1°C yields a converted temperature of 442.7°C using the same equation, a clear mismatch.

I also tried reading the image using P2 Pro Viewer (https://p2proviewer.streamlit.app/) and observed the same (incorrect) temperature values, which suggest the issue lies in the conversion rather than the raw extraction.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Could there be a different conversion formula for the extended temperature range?

Does the raw data scale differently depending on the camera's gain mode?

Is it possible the camera applies a different calibration internally that’s not reflected in Eq. 1?

I’ve attached some sample images (next comment) in case anyone wants to investigate further or run their own tests.

Any suggestions, insights, or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Simone

« Last Edit: May 27, 2025, 03:59:05 pm by simonesk »
 

Offline simonesk

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 8
  • Country: it
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #370 on: May 27, 2025, 03:54:22 pm »
JPG Test 1
 

Offline simonesk

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 8
  • Country: it
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #371 on: May 27, 2025, 03:55:53 pm »
JPG Test 2
 

Offline simonesk

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 8
  • Country: it
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #372 on: May 28, 2025, 12:16:19 pm »
Update: I attempted to derive an empirical relationship between the maximum temperature displayed by TempMaster and the maximum temperature obtained from the raw thermal image conversion. However, the correlation was weaker than expected, and the resulting model did not yield a recognizable or reliable fit.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2025, 12:20:47 pm by simonesk »
 

Offline simonesk

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 8
  • Country: it
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #373 on: May 29, 2025, 11:13:56 am »
Update #2: Additional testing using a heated plate and a tripod-mounted camera positioned at approximately 50 cm (example attached) continues to reveal inconsistencies between the temperature values reported by the app and those derived from the raw data, with no distinguishable relationship between the two. (residuals plot attached).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2025, 11:15:51 am by simonesk »
 

Offline beta-tester

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 24
  • Country: de
Re: Infiray and their P2 Pro - discussion
« Reply #374 on: June 06, 2025, 07:17:46 am »
with my inf iRay  P2 Pro was a QR code to a download section, that contains also an P2 Pro SDK.
https://www.xinfrared.com/pages/download-center

in the "... interface development instruction.pdf" there is a section about gain. maybe you can find something to get more accurate readings in the extended temperature range.
 
The following users thanked this post: simonesk


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->