Author Topic: My new Hikmicro Pocket 2  (Read 31949 times)

Offline markb1980

• Regular Contributor
Re: My new Hikmicro Pocket 2
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2023, 12:58:30 pm »
For all experiencing the freezing issue with a Pocket 2 - try that software-version: https://hikmicrotech.app.box.com/s/xtv5qj9qn2izokm237ajo7b89wt6nmrx

It deactivates the rotationg feature but should fix the issue. My contact at Hikmicro told me they work on a new update which will solve that and this is a intermediate solution to get the cameras to a working state again.
Pentester, Digital forensics examiner, Data recovery technitian, Author for various books
Learn thermal imaging: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5KXF41Q/ | https://www.facebook.com/groups/1816479168568552 | https://thermal-image-samples.com/thermal-pixel-peeping/

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2023, 07:15:17 pm »
I usually use this camera with a Windows 10 PC and despite everything works properly, every time I connect the camera to the PC via USB I receive a windows notification from "autoplay" with the following message: "There is a problem with this unit. Scan the drive and fix it".
Of course, the scan of the unit doesn't find any errors.
I also tried reformatting the camera memory but the "problem" persists.

Considering that everything works fine, to avoid this strange message, I simply inhibited the notifications from "Autoplay".

Question: have any of you noticed this behavior?

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2023, 05:44:19 pm »
A useful graph (specific to Pocket2) which allows you to evaluate the temperature error associated with the acquisition of hot (or cold) spots of relatively small area compared to their surroundings. The size of these areas (square in the model I hypothesized) is expressed in effective pixels of the sensor.

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2023, 12:02:30 pm »
... windows notification from "autoplay" with the following message: "There is a problem with this unit. Scan the drive and fix it".
Of course, the scan of the unit doesn't find any errors.
These are two different things. "autoplay" rules what to do if a storage device is connected. I always deny any actions, btw.

The "scan and fix it" error I have with any kind of storage devices (e.g. usb sticks) that are not dismounted manually before disconnecting them. The Pocket 2 is mounted like any usb stick (at least in my Win10). Try to "safely remove" the Pocket2 before you unplug it. This should avoid this error messages in the future.
once you do it right, it works :-)

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2023, 12:12:33 pm »
Hikmicro also have a macro lens to offer:
https://www.hikmicrotech.com/en/industrial-products/pocket-series-macro-lens.html
Got mine two weeks ago. A lot of bucks for a few cheap items, but it works fine.
1736538-0

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2023, 06:05:59 pm »
I know the role of the Autoplay service. I too usually inhibit its actions when I connect a USB device.
I mentioned it for the simple reason that the notification I receive is managed by this same service, nothing else...

Naturally, in my case, this annoying message is also present with the "Safely Remove" procedure.

What is the FW version of your Pocket2?

Offline markb1980

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2023, 08:57:58 am »
Got mine two weeks ago. A lot of bucks for a few cheap items, but it works fine.
... it's not about the parts - you can easyly make your own. For the original one there is a setting in the firmware (macro mode) which compensates for the lens and allow you correct temp. measurements.

That's why it's basically more expensive. If you don't need that, then you can get along with a DIY one also.
Pentester, Digital forensics examiner, Data recovery technitian, Author for various books
Learn thermal imaging: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5KXF41Q/ | https://www.facebook.com/groups/1816479168568552 | https://thermal-image-samples.com/thermal-pixel-peeping/

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2023, 06:51:50 pm »
I know the role of the Autoplay service. ...
IMHO it is two things: mount a mass storage and look what to do with it. But this is not important to here.
Naturally, in my case, this annoying message is also present with the "Safely Remove" procedure.
Damned.
What is the FW version of your Pocket2?
V5.520 build 221029

Nice... just to proof my ideas I just plugged the cam to the PC - and got the same error. But... it disappears after a few seconds and all is fine.
Plug out without removing, plug in - error, stays in the info center. Scan and fix - ready in a few seconds.
Remove safely, plug off, plug in again - no errors.

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2023, 12:32:14 am »
In my case the message always disappears after a few seconds and never affects the notification center.
Even after a "scan and fix" + "safely remove" it reappears regularly.

Maybe this behavior is related (I hope...) to the usb driver associated with the FW installed on my Pocket2 (V5.5.29 build 220909)

Offline santasemilla

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2023, 04:22:31 am »
Hi everyone.

I just found this thread about the Pocket 2. I'm also having this issue being on Module: V1.0.1.0 build220331. I can reproduce the freezing bug when the camera goes off after 10min of inactivity, and then turning it back on.

I already dropped a claim to Hikmicro support with no replies up to date. I just checked HM's website and they removed the firmware links (https://www.hikmicrotech.com/en/industrial-products/pocket-thermal-camera/). Also as for today at the Download section (bottom of the page) the User Manual link states the 5.5.45 version. ...maybe we are some days away to a fix.

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2023, 07:51:11 am »
...maybe we are some days away to a fix.

I hope! The firmware has been removed from the site for over a month...

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2023, 11:02:30 pm »
Another graph (specific to Pocket2) closely related to the previous one I posted above.

1757318-0

It highlights the temperature error that arises when passing between two large isothermal regions at different temperatures separated by a straight line.
As you can see, for a delta T = 60 degrees, in order to have an error on the acquired temperature less than one degree it is necessary to move away from the boundary between the two areas by about 4 pixels.

1757324-1

In both scenarios (this and that of the previous graph in which hot (or cold) spots were analysed), the temperature errors encountered (which are more or less common to all thermal imaging cameras) are mainly due to the same phenomenon: the static crosstalk between adjacent pixels of the thermal sensor (in part, the phenomenon can also originate from the optical group...)

Obviously, the two scenarios considered are rather "extreme" and normally not found in typical daily acquisitions, characterized by rather soft temperature transitions...
With them I have only tried to highlight a typical error that can occur in the acquisition or analysis phase if one comes across situations similar to those described above.

Be careful! The error I discussed is also present in the case where the two areas have exactly the same temperature but different emissivity!
For example, a stainless steel isothermal plate (emissivity = 0.08 - 0.10) partially covered with insulating tape (e.g. Scotch Super 33+ emissivity = 0.95).
In this case, by setting the emissivity to 0.95, and aiming at the area covered with the tape, we will be able to read the actual temperature of the metal plate.
With the same setting, if we target the uncoated area (i.e. to the stainless steel), we will read a considerably lower temperature.
This delta T is the temperature step seen by the sensor and this is the delta T that must be used to quantify the errors I mentioned above.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 03:09:43 pm by ExaLab »

Offline rfspezi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2023, 09:58:25 am »

I am starting to get disappointed about the quality/customer care of Hikmicro.
Fixing such a trivial (yes it is!) issue which is really annoying should not take months!

Offline santasemilla

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2023, 03:43:08 pm »

I am starting to get disappointed about the quality/customer care of Hikmicro.
Fixing such a trivial (yes it is!) issue which is really annoying should not take months!

Yup. I'm sorry Hikmicro but I just posted a message in several of your IG posts asking for a solution to firmware problems in the Pocket 2. It's been more than a month that I opened a customer support ticket and no answers whatsoever. I know it is not polite but giving no answers is not polite either.

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2023, 10:53:53 am »
Nunzio vobis gaudium magnum!
Habemus Firmware!

V5.5.45 is finally available on the site

Offline Pfriemler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2023, 01:18:41 pm »

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2023, 03:04:03 pm »

Offline ICF2022

« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2023, 04:41:12 am »
Does anyone know if the new Firmware (V5.5.45) fixed the freezing bug? Or any other noticeable improvements with this version? Thanks.

Offline rfspezi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2023, 09:51:32 am »
Fixed it as far as I can tell by now.

The following users thanked this post: ICF2022

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2023, 10:09:42 pm »
On two different occasions I reported some bugs afflicting the device, not least the failure to record the correct ambient humidity value set.
Well, after months and months of "work" on the firmware these gentlemen (i.e. Hikmicro) weren't even able to solve this trivial problem.

My feeling is that they really don't care about user bug reports and this new firmware (V5.5.45) is proof of that!
All the problems I scrupulously reported and described in detail are still present!!! I really can't believe it!

Total disappointment!

The following users thanked this post: rfspezi

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2023, 11:22:31 pm »
Can any of you who have installed version V5.5.45 give me confirmation of the following bug:

1) In the settings, set a humidity value to any value (except 60%)
  2) Take a shot
  3) Read the humidity value of the taken shot (e.g. clicking info on the taken shot). It will be wrong (you will always read 60%)

Offline ICF2022

« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2023, 05:38:46 am »
Can any of you who have installed version V5.5.45 give me confirmation of the following bug:

1) In the settings, set a humidity value to any value (except 60%)
  2) Take a shot
  3) Read the humidity value of the taken shot (e.g. clicking info on the taken shot). It will be wrong (you will always read 60%)
Bug confirmed in the latest update. I set the humidity value to 30% and the info of the shot taken was 60%. My guess is HIKMicro won't fix this issue but hopefully I'm wrong and they come out with another update to fix it.

Offline ExaLab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2023, 04:31:20 pm »
Bug confirmed in the latest update. I set the humidity value to 30% and the info of the shot taken was 60%. My guess is HIKMicro won't fix this issue but hopefully I'm wrong and they come out with another update to fix it.

Thanks a lot for your kind feedback.
For the third time I informed Hikmicro of this problem and after begging them to pass my report to a product manager, maybe soon we will have a buid that fixes this bug.  In the meantime the last FW has been removed from the site...

Never so difficult to communicate with a company!

Offline birdy2man

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2023, 09:07:35 am »
Hello,

I have now bought a Pocket2 after reading many tetst.
Unfortunately, my camera also still has the V5.5.25 as firmware. On the homepage of Hikmicrotech is currently no firmware available.
Does one of you have the V5.5.45 available and can provide me with it?

Thanks

Offline RainbowDash

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2023, 07:35:30 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf