Author Topic: Apple IIe components  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Ben sageTopic starter

• Contributor
Apple IIe components
« on: November 21, 2019, 08:57:54 pm »
Hey guys I have a few questions about the Apple IIe like where the computer was made and also does anyone make new keys for it thanks :)

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Apple IIe components
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 10:42:01 am »
I just checked my IIe; The system unit was "Assembled in Singapore" while the CRT monitor was made in Korea (by Samsung).

I have no idea what you mean by "keys" though. Do you mean keyboard keycaps? The best you'll probably find are non-working models for parts.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 11:46:58 am »
Hey guys I have a few questions about the Apple IIe like where the computer was made and also does anyone make new keys for it thanks :)

Except the very early ones, it was "Made in China" so to speak. The keyboard was a PITA. And the many clones/compatibles were made all over the world: United States, Canada, Brazil, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Bulgaria, France, Ireland, Germany (better than the original!), Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Slovenia, Spain, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Australia and the Soviet Union.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 01:54:04 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline Ben sageTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 04:07:52 pm »
Hi guys thanks for the comments and I meant the key switches and key caps

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 02:12:44 am »
I just checked my IIe; The system unit was "Assembled in Singapore" while the CRT monitor was made in Korea (by Samsung).

Is there any indication of the date of production? If I'm not mistaken, the //e was produced from 1983 to 1993, and I had heard that Apple was still assembling them in the US until the late 80's or so, but that may just be a myth. Does anyone have more precise dates and info (history) on how Apple generally handled its production (not just with the Apple // line) from like 1977 to 2000? Would be interesting.

As to the keycaps, just look up on eBay for instance: "apple IIe keycaps". I've found many sellers. Can't guarantee they are genuine scavanged parts, or copies, but there are certainly a lot.

Offline barbeque

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 03:51:48 pm »
There are (at least) two kinds of Apple IIe key switches, so make sure you got the right ones. I bought a bag of ones that don't fit mine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf