Author Topic: MC6800 processor  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Wallace GasiewiczTopic starter

• Super Contributor
MC6800 processor
« on: February 15, 2021, 06:48:04 pm »
Hope this is the right place for this question
What programmer can I use to program a Motorola MC68A00 chip?
I have a TL866 for EPROM.

Wally

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: MC6800 processor
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 07:12:50 pm »
It does not have any internal memories. There is nothing to program.
Alex

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 07:21:00 pm »
What programmer can I use to program a Motorola MC68A00 chip?
The MC68A00 is a microprocessor. That is, its just a CPU with memory buses to the outside world. There is no memory. There are no peripherals. There is nothing in it to program.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:49:35 pm »
Thanks,I thought there was some intrinsic memory.
It is for repair of an HP 3456. There is memory on the board which is good.
Thank you all for the help.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 09:02:00 pm »
Are all the 68A00 chips identical , if they are Mitsubishi or Motorola are they the same or is there something I should be aware of?
Wally

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 12:53:11 am »
Are all the 68A00 chips identical , if they are Mitsubishi or Motorola are they the same or is there something I should be aware of?
Wally
The 6800 series was second-sourced by several manufacturers and should basically be plug compatible if the application circuit was designed in accordance with the original Motorola datasheet. There may be subtle differences in the chips between different manufacturers but these shouldn't affect normal operation of the chip.

Where you might run into trouble is when the designer has used some undocumented feature in the chip or pushes it past the datasheet specifications or selects the chip for specific performance parameters. In this case you can expect some second-source chips might not work as intended. This is unlikely to the case if you are looking at HP designed equipment.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 02:03:43 am »
Wally
The 6800 series was second-sourced by several manufacturers and should basically be plug compatible if the application circuit was designed in accordance with the original Motorola datasheet. There may be subtle differences in the chips between different manufacturers but these shouldn't affect normal operation of the chip.

Where you might run into trouble is when the designer has used some undocumented feature in the chip or pushes it past the datasheet specifications or selects the chip for specific performance parameters. In this case you can expect some second-source chips might not work as intended. This is unlikely to the case if you are looking at HP designed equipment.
The 6800 family was produced as a true second source by several manufacturers, which you can rely on as being truly equivalent. This includes at least Philips, Thomson (ST), and Hitachi. However, I don't think Mitsubishi made 6800 family parts.

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 05:06:56 am »

The 6800 family was produced as a true second source by several manufacturers, which you can rely on as being truly equivalent.
I spent a good deal of my first year as an electronics engineer debugging troublesome 6800 systems and I found that there were subtle differences on how second source chips from different manufacturers  behaved. The 6800 system was initially developed using Motorola parts and all seemed fine. But when production transferred to cheaper AMI second-source parts there were a lot of random field failures. As it turned out in the final analysis it was the support circuitry around the 6800 that wasn't up to scratch and not the processors themselves.

Nevertheless the different brands behaved differently with the dodgy support circuit. This may have been down to manufacturing process variations or it may have been that AMI slightly relaxed their test specifications to get a better production yield and a lower chip price.

This includes at least Philips, Thomson (ST), and Hitachi. However, I don't think Mitsubishi made 6800 family parts.
I don't recall Philips second-sourcing the 6800. They did second source the 68000 and a number of 68000 peripheral chips.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 02:11:32 pm »

The 6800 family was produced as a true second source by several manufacturers, which you can rely on as being truly equivalent.
I spent a good deal of my first year as an electronics engineer debugging troublesome 6800 systems and I found that there were subtle differences on how second source chips from different manufacturers  behaved. The 6800 system was initially developed using Motorola parts and all seemed fine. But when production transferred to cheaper AMI second-source parts there were a lot of random field failures. As it turned out in the final analysis it was the support circuitry around the 6800 that wasn't up to scratch and not the processors themselves.

Nevertheless the different brands behaved differently with the dodgy support circuit. This may have been down to manufacturing process variations or it may have been that AMI slightly relaxed their test specifications to get a better production yield and a lower chip price.
You would have noticed similar things with genuine Motorola parts made at different times, as they refined their processes and made them faster. Most equipment makers are pretty sloppy about tracing how the devices they use vary from batch to batch. There can be radical changes, like moving to a much finer process, that has all sorts of effects on a board's performance.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf