Author Topic: Return of 502- Bad gateway Error  (Read 58320 times)

Offline Kevin.DTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Return of 502- Bad gateway Error
« on: February 01, 2015, 12:03:19 pm »
The 
                     "502 - Bad Gateway
We are sorry for the inconvenience that this error may be causing you. We are aware of the issue and are working to resolve it, please be patient.

There is no need to report this error.

Thank you for your patience,
Dave & gnif
"

The old error above has returned from yesterday on certain forum pages after being ok for ~ 8 months
Has the forum web server been updated or something ?

Regards
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:05:10 pm by Kevin.D »

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
Re: Return of 502- Bad gateway Error
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:09:39 pm »
Clear your cookies.  Works for me every time.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 03:46:01 am »
Anybody else having problems today with this?
~ the last 6 hrs

Main forum: bad gateway
Main topic boards: bad gateway

Topics posted in: OK
All sub boards: OK

Any type of Reply in any thread: OK
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 04:06:33 am »
Yes, I saw it this morning, one of the general chat threads,
it was a two page thread, first page was fine, second page
was bad gateway, nothing to do with cookies on my pc or tv.

I will go fetch it and let you know which one.

Muttley
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:33:04 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 04:19:38 am »
Found one, test equipment, Keithley 2000 page two,
see if anyone else can open it, reply was server error.

Muttley
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:33:41 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 09:01:50 am »
Found one, test equipment, Keithley 2000 page two,
see if anyone else can open it, reply was server error.

Muttley

I just get a blank page.. Win7 64/FF browser.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 09:32:36 am »
Look's like miguelvp was the last one in there,       :palm:
so we can all point the finger at him for leaving it a mess.. :-DD

Muttley

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 10:29:13 am »
Nope, I had the same problem so I did hit reply and saw Dave that posted test or something like that.

So what I posted in my reply was:

somewhere in page two of this thread something went really wrong, I just get a blank page and the only way to read it is by pressing reply and read the messages bellow

Edit: I'm sure it wasn't Dave that broke it but he looked at it why it was happening. the bad post is probably the one before his. All you have to do is hit reply on page 1, in case you didn't figure that out :)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:33:11 am by miguelvp »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 10:50:38 am »
Here are the captures of the posts missing, maybe posting more will make it jump to page 3.
Some of the screenshots have overlaps, didn't want to spend too much time doing it just right :)

Edit: or maybe Dave was testing something that broke the thread? Hey he could have been testing some new forum feature that went totally wrong!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:59:33 am by miguelvp »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 01:23:25 pm »
That Keithley 2000 thread gives a 500 Internal Server Error for me on the second page. First page is readable.

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 06:42:31 pm »
Hi

I realize a few things:

1) This is an old thread

2) Stuff happens and generally gets fixed

3) In general things work very well

4) I have no desire at all to spend time debugging somebody else's code. I have plenty of bugs in my own ....

At what point does the "Bad Gateway" become a reportable / correctable error? It has been hitting me on the "show replies" section for several days solid. Is the trip point a week?

Bob

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 04:56:46 am »
I experienced a bunch of 502s days back, may be 7-10 days ago.   For a while it was unusable.  Lately it has behaved for me.
knock on wood ! 

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 11:56:55 am »
Hi

I'm back up and running. It's just sort of weird how there is no real way to know if it's on my end (as in a cached error page) or something else.

Bob

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 05:56:53 pm »
Not always, but sometimes - like once in a week or so - I get this 502 error.

It happens ONLY for the https://www.eevblog.com/forum/...any_topic_here/, but never saw this error with other sites/forums. Reloading the page fix the error, but it's annoying, especially if it happens when you want to post a reply. At least I can still find the reply text and the edit form if I hit Back in the browser.

Win10/Firefox
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:09:35 pm by RoGeorge »

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 06:03:01 pm »
Had it on both www.eevblog.com and the forum a moment ago.

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 08:02:35 pm »
It happens to me when I use a link like:
www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php

It works when I just enter:
www.eevblog.com/forum/

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 08:12:34 pm »
Administrator gnif is trying to get to the bottom of this, see discussion in this recent thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/bad-gateway-502/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 11:15:49 pm »
This thread is more than a year old, and administrator "gnif" seems to have no other response than to blame the users for the bad gateway fail.  Why hasn't it been fixed?

For at least the 6th time since I have been participating, I got this message (Bad Gateway message attached below).  It is a PITA to get fixed by the user.

Second, please update your attachments/images process to the 21st century.  Why can't we use ctrl+V to paste a png snippet in line with a comment?

PC = Intel-based home made
OS = Win 7 Pro
Browser = Chrome (current)

John
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:18:29 pm by jpanhalt »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 12:51:26 am »
This thread is more than a year old, and administrator "gnif" seems to have no other response than to blame the users for the bad gateway fail.  Why hasn't it been fixed?

For at least the 6th time since I have been participating, I got this message (Bad Gateway message attached below).  It is a PITA to get fixed by the user.
Where is gnif blaming the user? He said it's high CPU load of unknown origin. He merely commented that force-refreshing isn't solving, but exacerbating the problem.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 08:56:44 pm »
I am constantly get the 502 Bad Gateway error when I'm accessing the links on the right of my avatar, the "Show unread posts since last visit." and "Show new replies to your posts."

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 09:09:19 pm »
I am constantly get the 502 Bad Gateway error when I'm accessing the links on the right of my avatar, the "Show unread posts since last visit." and "Show new replies to your posts."

Have you tried a refresh?  That is F5 or CTRL+F5 (assuming you are Windows).

John

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 09:43:48 pm »

Offline raspberrypi

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 09:50:38 pm »
Yes this forum was almost unusable yesterday. Gave me time to do something productive with my life, like personal hygiene.
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 02:45:38 am »

For a long time gnif was a volunteer. As far as I know he still is. But that may have changed recently. I also missed where he blamed users. Last I saw he said it was an issue with record locking during DB maintenance.

I did not blame users, I stated that forcing a full refresh, clearing the browser cache was pointless and exacerbated the issue, I never stated the issue was caused by users.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2017, 04:09:57 am »
From yesterday morning (March 24 at 1:48 AM Eastern DST, USA) (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/forum-database-upgrade/msg1168976/#msg1168976 ):
Quote from: gnif
Depends on time of day, to be honest this morning at 4:00AM (ADST) was the first time I had ever seen the 502 error personally, which was a lucky break as I was able to inspect the cause while it was occurring.

I have been using a refresh (F5 or CTRL+F5), and it has worked for me.  I interpreted your prior statement that such action "exacerbated the issue" as blaming those users, like myself, who use that workaround for making the issue worse. 

If that is not the case, can you explain why it seems to work, and more important, how you knew that it made the "situation" worse before you had actually observed the problem?  How does it make the situation worse for other users?

John

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2017, 09:37:38 am »
Refresh would force a reload, and generally a transient overload on the server, which caused the original failure, will be gone. However, the continuing reloads only add to the load on the server.

A much better thing instead is to stop, get up from your device, and go either have a drink of water, a short walk around outside, or something else that does not involve going to the website. This serves many functions. Firstly you are not adding to the load on the single site, so the backlog will be done, and the next time you come there, a few minutes later, you will be successful. Second it gets you off your backside, and moving about a little, alleviating the risk of DVT and at a least getting your circulation going better. The drink of water will hydrate you as well, and if you go for a short walk it will clear your brain.

Note none of this has any cost, and also is going to both relax you, be good for your general well being and help you in reducing stress in your life.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2017, 09:55:37 am »
Refresh would force a reload, and generally a transient overload on the server, which caused the original failure, will be gone. However, the continuing reloads only add to the load on the server.

A much better thing instead is to stop, get up from your device, and go either have a drink of water, a short walk around outside, or something else that does not involve going to the website. This serves many functions. Firstly you are not adding to the load on the single site, so the backlog will be done, and the next time you come there, a few minutes later, you will be successful. Second it gets you off your backside, and moving about a little, alleviating the risk of DVT and at a least getting your circulation going better. The drink of water will hydrate you as well, and if you go for a short walk it will clear your brain.

Note none of this has any cost, and also is going to both relax you, be good for your general well being and help you in reducing stress in your life.

Neglecting your smartass advice and addressing your content...

It seems clear you don't know the reason for the error, as your suggested solution simply didn't work.   First time it happened to me, I tried accessing over two days, including at least one complete shutdown of my system.  Although I had not had that exact error before, my assumption was something at the server, which for most sites that I visit is fixed within a few hours.  I then cleared my shortcut and re-entered the URL.   That worked. 

Next time it happened, I did a very quick search on Google, found the refresh option in a stackexchange thread on the very subject, and have been using that option since. 

As best I can tell, this problem on eevblog was first reported in 2014 (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/%27recent-posts%27-502-bad-gateway-error/ ).  That and several related threads have had no response from administration.   As they say, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

John

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017, 10:10:50 am »

Neglecting your smartass advice and addressing your content...

It seems clear you don't know the reason for the error, as your suggested solution simply didn't work.   First time it happened to me, I tried accessing over two days, including at least one complete shutdown of my system.  Although I had not had that exact error before, my assumption was something at the server, which for most sites that I visit is fixed within a few hours.  I then cleared my shortcut and re-entered the URL.   That worked. 

Next time it happened, I did a very quick search on Google, found the refresh option in a stackexchange thread on the very subject, and have been using that option since. 

As best I can tell, this problem on eevblog was first reported in 2014 (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/%27recent-posts%27-502-bad-gateway-error/ ).  That and several related threads have had no response from administration.   As they say, if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

John

Does work for me though.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2017, 10:16:32 am »
What seems to be going on and where the confusion comes from I think is the following:
Whenever I get/got this 502 error it always takes some time before it shows up, but then when I go back and click the link again the error shows up instantly, so my guess is that the error gets cached somehow. You can click the link 10 times if you want and the error stays, but one time <Ctrl-F5> will clear it. So I don't care how many people say that it doesn't work, it works for me and I'm not the only one.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2017, 10:44:36 am »
OK, I see where you're coming from.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, we know that the error itself is a server-side problem.

I guess the link in the error page causes the browser to use its cache. So when the server-side problem resolves itself, the browser isn't even attempting to reload.

Force refreshing doesn't make the server-side problem go away, but in fact exacerbates it. But without a refresh, your browser will continue to show the error message instead of the page (at least, until the expiration time of the cached page elapses.) So we've got the issue where refreshing actually delays the root issue being fixed, but is nonetheless necessary for the user-facing problem to go away.

I've normally simply walked away when I've gotten the error, done something else, and 5 minutes later it works. That's unwittingly given the server enough time to catch its breath, at which point the refresh succeeds.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2017, 06:23:01 pm »
To add to others experience and mentioned before, Unread Replies link might not work but immediately removing the forward slash from the URL does. Thereafter refreshing the page works without incident indefinitely but using the link again produces errors again no matter how long one waits.
I've had same problem with the main forum page off and on for a year or more, again tweaking the URL by removing .php gets it working without exception.
It's typical to need multiple tabs open to be able to use the forum and keep up to date.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2017, 06:41:28 pm »
To add to others experience and mentioned before, Unread Replies link might not work but immediately removing the forward slash from the URL does. Thereafter refreshing the page works without incident indefinitely but using the link again produces errors again no matter how long one waits.
I've had same problem with the main forum page off and on for a year or more, again tweaking the URL by removing .php gets it working without exception.
It's typical to need multiple tabs open to be able to use the forum and keep up to date.

This seems far more likely to be your browser being exceedingly badly behaved. That or your ISP is running a really, really broken caching proxy.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 06:52:20 pm by Monkeh »

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2017, 07:05:58 pm »
How about Cloudflare being the broken caching proxy? ;)

If that were the case there'd be more than one or two people reporting such substantial issues. I'm no fan of Cloudflare, but they're not to blame here. Just for a dozen other things.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2017, 07:28:38 pm »
OK, I see where you're coming from.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, we know that the error itself is a server-side problem.

I guess the link in the error page causes the browser to use its cache. So when the server-side problem resolves itself, the browser isn't even attempting to reload.

Force refreshing doesn't make the server-side problem go away, but in fact exacerbates it. But without a refresh, your browser will continue to show the error message instead of the page (at least, until the expiration time of the cached page elapses.) So we've got the issue where refreshing actually delays the root issue being fixed, but is nonetheless necessary for the user-facing problem to go away.

^^^ This.

The browser is caching the error page for days without a force refresh - I just cleared the Database Maintenance error message dated 24th March with a forced refresh.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2017, 09:06:02 pm »
But that's weird. It shouldn't stay cached for anywhere near that long! (And on my computers/devices, it doesn't.)

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2017, 10:03:43 pm »
But that's weird. It shouldn't stay cached for anywhere near that long! (And on my computers/devices, it doesn't.)

Shouldn't, wouldn't, couldn't ...

I have heard that too many times to count.   In my business, such theories didn't hold a candle to what actually happens.  I know of at least one IT "expert" who got fired because he didn't understand that difference.

If this blog wants to be PC-specific, then it needs to tell us what we need to do to get access.  Otherwise, it needs to be robust enough to work with many platforms, including at least Windows and Chrome.

John

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 12:42:56 am »
Man this error is really bad here this evening. Not sure why ...  :(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 01:48:06 am »
There's some strange caching going on now that wasn't before.
'Shift-Reload'.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 02:31:50 am »
I just got a "524 Error"

I tried to get a screen capture but failed. I'll try next time.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 05:51:22 am »
I just got a "524 Error"
I had one too yesterday. It was the first time I had seen this error on the forum.
First it took a long time loading the page (maybe 30s) then the 524 timeout error showed up (it was from cloudflare). After pressing F5 it turned into the 502 error page. Pressing F5 again finally loaded the page but very slowly (>10s).
It looks like there is still something wrong and occasionally the server is busy servicing all the requests.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2017, 07:24:40 am »

This seems far more likely to be your browser being exceedingly badly behaved. That or your ISP is running a really, really broken caching proxy.
I've often wondered the same but no other websites repeatedly throw errors like the forum does.
Chrome, latest version and Win 7 64 bit.

I consistently have ~20 tabs open as I have slow internet and it's simpler/faster to refresh those I work with than reopen them.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2017, 07:43:52 am »

Actually I'd say this is just an artifact of the way the forum servers are setup. The cached error page is associated with the URL you requested with the slash on the end. Removing the slash is seen as a different request and so the cache is ignored and hits the server. This particular proxy/server/app combo doesn't care about whether the slash is there or not and so serves up the same page.

Same thing happens when you remove the .php. The server still serves the page with or without the .php, but the cache in the browser sees it as a different request.

i.e. These all go to the same page:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, tautech, tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2017, 10:54:33 am »

Shouldn't, wouldn't, couldn't ...

I have heard that too many times to count.   In my business, such theories didn't hold a candle to what actually happens.  I know of at least one IT "expert" who got fired because he didn't understand that difference.
Oy gevalt, uppity much?

I said it shouldn't, not that it wasn't. The entire implication of my comment was that it's strange that you're experiencing that behavior. Ergo, something to look into.

As for someone getting fired, that's meaningless, in that people are often fired as scapegoats for something they really weren't responsible for.

If this blog wants to be PC-specific, then it needs to tell us what we need to do to get access.  Otherwise, it needs to be robust enough to work with many platforms, including at least Windows and Chrome.
What on earth is this rant about?

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2017, 11:11:29 am »
How does a server distinguish between a page request coming from the link "Show unread posts since last visit." (the one on the top of each page, near the user's avatar) versus the same address, "https://www.eevblog.com/forum/unread/", coming from a refresh (F5) action?

I am asking this because:
- before the database maintenance, I had 502 Err here and there, maybe once in a week, and the err goes away by itself at the next access of the same link
- after the database maintenance, the two links near the avatar were ALWAYS returned 502 err for me. I testes it many times, I tried them maybe 20-30 times over a couple of hours. Always 502 Err.
- then, after one F5 for each link, the 502 Err has gone forever. I didn't saw a 502 Err since then.

Of course, this might be just a coincidence, but it's very hard to believe.
The most probable explanation to me is that the server has received a different type of request for the F5, compared with the request coming from the link "https://www.eevblog.com/forum/unread/". That different request, apart from re-sending the page, also permanently fixed the 502 Err.

Seems to me that F5 is sending something else then just the URL from the address bar, or at least is doing something different on the browser side.

So, my curiosity is: What exactly does a browser send/do when I press F5, compared to a simple click on a link, please?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2017, 09:57:26 pm »
I don't know the exact naming, but an HTTP request does include the "referrer", so a web server really can distinguish a clicked link from a refresh or a manually-entered URL.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2017, 10:45:53 pm »
502s seen on both the 502 threads. LOL

Offline tkuhmone

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2017, 12:08:31 pm »
Fyi,

I saw 502 error today at 12:00 GMT. Waited couple of minutes and then try to login at forum again -> works ok...
Timo, OH7HMS

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2017, 12:40:11 pm »
I've had several slowdowns and 524 errors tonight.
The server will be getting a RAM upgrade soon which gnif assures me will help.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2017, 01:50:24 am »
Don't know if any upgrades have been done, but no errors at all today!  :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2017, 02:35:46 am »
:clap:
Just checked my Unread Replies link that's returned 502 errors for days and up until a few hours ago, instead of using it I leave a tab open and just refresh it......don't need to do that now.  ;D

Hope I don't have to post in this thread again.  :-\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2017, 03:42:27 am »
:clap:
Just checked my Unread Replies link that's returned 502 errors for days and up until a few hours ago, instead of using it I leave a tab open and just refresh it......don't need to do that now.  ;D

Hope I don't have to post in this thread again.  :-\
:o  >:(
It's back.  :--
Away from PC for a while, hit unread replies......502.  :wtf:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2017, 06:49:36 am »
Please be patient, we are working on a solution to the issue, prior there was a database table lock contention issue which was been resolved, but in doing so the servers workload has been increased. Dave is having additional RAM installed today which will allow us to cache the entire database working set into it, which should improve performance considerably.

We also have some server back end changes coming soon after some testing and debugging is done, a select group of users are currently using the new configuration and when we are confident it is ready it will be switched on for the masses.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2017, 07:36:06 am »
It is probably due to the server upgrade, I just had a session timed out message and Connection Problems message. This is the first time I have seen those messages.
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 07:43:45 am »
It is probably due to the server upgrade, I just had a session timed out message and Connection Problems message. This is the first time I have seen those messages.
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Please also note that after the server comes back online there will be a period of tuning which will cause various errors and timeouts, I will update this thread when this is completed, there is no need to report these and I apologize in advance for the frustration it will cause.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2017, 08:25:11 am »
All good here so far gnif.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2017, 05:10:44 am »
Strange, when I use Chromium on Ubuntu 16.04 I am getting the 502 - Bad Gateway message for the forums.

However, in another browser on the same machine (Mozilla Firefox) I am able to load the forums and currently posting this message. I've tried refreshes, clearing caches, etc.... all to no avail. Chromium doesn't want to load the forum, but Firefox is ok. I wonder if maybe it is a browser compatibility issue?

The other thing I've noticed is that Firefox complained that EEVBLOG wasn't secure. I'm not sure if that has always been the case, or if we lost the https or something changes with a certificate?

[EDIT:  I didn't realize this thread was from March... I just searched because I was experiencing this problem the last couple of days. Anyone else notice this?]
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2017, 05:15:52 am »
Anyone else notice this?

Me too, on Firefox - the links for "Show unread posts since last visit" and "Show new replies to your posts" lead me to a 502 page for a few days now. The actual URL has a "/" at the end, if I delete it manually I get the expected pages.
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2017, 05:19:52 am »
It appears that the forum was taken down within the last few hours(?) for maintenance or upgrade, etc.  I noticed that I repeatedly saw the same "down for maintenance" notice whenever I tried back after a few minutes.  Until I remembered that there is some significant culpability from the browser here.  It doesn't actually re-try the URL, it just shows the same notice over and over again.  I finally remembered and forced the browser to refresh the page, whereupon, EEVblog Forum was back in all its glory.

So the learning from that is to use the explicit browser refresh page function before concluding that the page is really not available.

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2017, 11:05:13 am »
I've been getting the 502 - Bad Gateway error the last few days as well. It seems to only happen when I click on the "Projects, Designs & Technical Stuff" link while reading a message within that subforum (that is, to go back up to the subforum level from the thread level). It does not happen when I click on that subforum heading from the main forum list, or when I refresh the subforum while reading it. To clarify, click on this:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/

Seems to work fine, whereas if I click on this while currently reading a message:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

I get the 502 error. Clicking on that link here (ie - from this message) seems to work, however, and that is all kinds of puzzling to me. But, I'm struggling to get a wordpress based site up right now so clearly I'm no authority on website internals...  :P

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2017, 02:31:50 pm »
I've been getting the 502 bad gateway screen in bursts since the 4th. Always on attempting to fetch the forum front page. When it comes up it's persistent - every retry gets the same thing. I just go away and do something else, when I try again in 20 minutes it's OK. I'm using Firefox.

Incidentally the "bad gateway" message still includes a message from last March. See screen cap attached.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2017, 11:43:52 pm »
I had the 502 thing as well, and fixed it the usual way:  :clap:

File  >  Tools  >  WTF  > Patience  >  Try Again Tomorrow  > STAY CALM >  click OK

Works every time   :-+

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2017, 12:20:12 am »
Gah - I get this!

Error 503

The Error 502 file could not be found - contact your system administrator

:rant:

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2017, 12:24:51 am »
I think that page has some caching pragma's in it so it sticks around like shit to a blanket - which would make sense if the server was really down as you want that page to be visible.
The problem is, when there is a short outage it is hard to get rid of that page.

I do this to force a reload - and therefore determine if the server is down or if its just the error page hanging around.
 (Google Chrome on Windows)
Hit F12
Right click the reload button on the Chrome toolbar.
Select Empty Cache and Reload
Hit F12 again

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2017, 03:44:00 am »
I think that page has some caching pragma's in it so it sticks around like shit to a blanket - which would make sense if the server was really down as you want that page to be visible.
The problem is, when there is a short outage it is hard to get rid of that page.

I do this to force a reload - and therefore determine if the server is down or if its just the error page hanging around.
 (Google Chrome on Windows)
Hit F12
Right click the reload button on the Chrome toolbar.
Select Empty Cache and Reload
Hit F12 again
You nailed it Rog.
F5 works fine each time I hit a page that returned the 502 when the forum was down.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2017, 04:59:26 am »
Interesting. For the last couple days been having trouble accessing the general chat. 502 bad gateway. This  both my phone and desktop. Desktop using firefox...but could access it using microsoft edge browser. But i opened Firefox on desktop and pressed F5. Now i can access it on both desktop and phone now. How? I never did F5 to clear cache on phone? Thats weird. Is it something stored in the modem causing the error then.....wait...

Cant be. Because i could not access general chat on LTE4 network either...not just wifi. Im confused.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2017, 06:25:09 am »
Interesting. For the last couple days been having trouble accessing the general chat. 502 bad gateway. This  both my phone and desktop. Desktop using firefox...but could access it using microsoft edge browser. But i opened Firefox on desktop and pressed F5. Now i can access it on both desktop and phone now. How? I never did F5 to clear cache on phone? Thats weird. Is it something stored in the modem causing the error then.....wait...

Cant be. Because i could not access general chat on LTE4 network either...not just wifi. Im confused.

What you are seeing is the difference between correlation (or coincidence) and cause and effect.

Changes at the server seem to have fixed the problem.

John

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2017, 11:09:17 pm »
It was obvious the issues were not due to members computers, browsers, cookies, skinny milk, or locations  :-\

When there's a server problem, or an update, failed drive, or some d!ckhead DOS sp@mmer  >:(  bringing the system to a halt etc

members have to back off on the requests, log out and give the EEV admin a chance to sort it out  |O

A couple of days without EEVblog isn't that tragic,
ok it is for many, but a week or two offline is a lot worse if everyone is banging on the 502 gate all at once   

Is it all ok for everyone now?     :-// 

all good here in Australia  :-+

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2017, 12:04:00 am »
I was getting very consistent 502s on the "unreadreplies" link for days.
I tested with an incognito window (no shared cookies), logged in, and the unreadreplies link worked.
Back to the normal window, that link 502s. It was totally repeatable.

I then went into my cookies in the normal browser window and deleted the forum.eevblog cookies one by one, testing after each deletion. Whatever I deleted first didn't do anything. The second cookie was something like _unam and after deleting that one, the unread replies link works fine 100% of the time.

I thought the suggestion farther up thread to "delete cookies and try again" was just voodoo, but in this case, it was voodoo that seems to have fixed the problem for me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2017, 01:38:21 am »
sokoloff, I did the same drill as you and the 502 was consistent and or intermittent, some posts showed up, some 502

If members keep banging on the door, they will get an answer eventually  |O ...not sure if that helps the guys trying to get the server biz sorted out   :horse: 

I'd rather wait it out   :popcorn:    works every time,
including this time, and no messing with browser settings required, except for log out and page closures   
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:40:58 am by Electro Detective »

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2017, 02:28:53 am »
These are common on sites running nginx or cloudflare, there are configuration options that will fix them if that isnthe case. i have the same problem on a forum I run.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2017, 02:22:40 pm »
Lots of 502s these days.  :-BROKE

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2017, 08:51:16 am »
A couple of 502s appeared yesterday, but gone today

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2017, 09:36:09 am »
Yep, I'm getting them more often than not from various different connections/locations, even after clearing cookies/browser cache. Will keep an eye on it over the next little while.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2017, 12:17:30 pm »
1605 Guests, 251 Users (3 Hidden)
and plenty of 502s.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2017, 12:30:40 pm »
Still happening for me a few times today. gnif hasn't gotten back with why yet.

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2017, 12:40:32 pm »
check error logs for

mod_fcgid: errors
or sql errors "'max_allowed_packet"

These are easily tunable settings that are notorious

Offline sibeen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2017, 12:49:39 pm »
Still happening for me a few times today. gnif hasn't gotten back with why yet.

That's terrible.  A decent flogging can often sort out such mute resistance.

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2017, 03:55:35 pm »
502 used to be a Vehicle Code section related to misdemeanor drunk driving.  Back when it was known as a 'deuce'.
You have to wonder about the people picking the error code numbers.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2017, 07:18:46 pm »
The inventor of the WWW, Tim Berners-Lee, is British and was working at CERN (Switzerland) at the time, so his choice of error codes is unlikely to have been influenced by US legal terminology. ;)

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2017, 08:12:06 pm »
The forum was inaccessible via firefox for me last night. The whole evening, 502 everywhere.
Interestingly when I used a Tor browser it could get the front page reliably, and sometimes threads, though slowly. The slowness is the Tor system, so maybe that's a hint - speed dependent? - when a browser makes all the page element requests rapidly, the eevblog server fails and returns 502.

What intrigues me, is that the 502 error message is a specific thing. The eevblog maintainers know where that is, and have edited it in the past. Ref: the text "Thank you for your patience, Dave & gnif 24th March 2017: We are performing some ..."

Not that I know anything about large web server diagnosis, but if this was some electronics system I'd be trying the following:
* Make a change in what I thought was the '502 error message' text source. Both to check it's actually the right source, and to update that March message, which looks bad. Like no one could be bothered updating stuff.
* Search the server code for anything that can throw that 502 message. Stick some error logging messages in each one, or point each one at a unique 502 error text, to identify WHICH one is the cause.

Hopefully that would result in understanding the cause. Half way to a solution. Oh, and mentioning the identified cause in this thread, and what can be done about it, would be nice too.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2017, 08:20:57 pm »
I've had it every morning this week on a few pages and F5 gets past it every time. Chrome browser.
For the rest of the day there's no problems and it seems like there's a problem when I'm offline after ~9pm Sydney time.
Puzzling.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline M4trix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2017, 08:24:14 pm »
Well, dunno but after clearing the FF browser cache and cookies I don't have this error anymore. Two days without 502 error.  :-//

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2017, 11:22:26 pm »
Any chance of a DATE / TIME error in one of the servers, or something connected ?

I had fun with that at a clients office a while back,
a clapped Bios battery in one of the servers did it's thing reverting the system to 2012 AD,
after a power failure and reboot got the party started 

There was so much dust in those machines, it resembled a dumped vacuum cleaner's contents,
I pulled the bundles out by hand while the system was running..

free fairy floss anyone? 
sorry no pink left, just grey    ;D

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2017, 04:01:56 am »
Some behaviors that might provide clues to someone who understands how this stuff works.

1.  Bookmark for the forum in Chrome consistently gave error.  Displayed page identical to Terrahertz post.
2.  Entering URL for EEVBlog main page worked, and from there was able to navigate to the forums page without trouble.
3.  Bookmarked that page, and this new bookmark works consistently, even though the old bookmark consistently gets 502 error.
4.  Hitting the HOME button on the page consistently results in 502 error with same display page.

The new bookmark has resolved the issue for me, but I have no clue why.  I don't use the home button often so not a problem for me.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2017, 02:49:12 am »
my guess is that the bookmark (happens to me, too) bypasses a real web fetch and goes to cache, first.  when you enter a url on the url line, it has no idea you went there before (unlike a bookmark) and so it has to do a real network web fetch.

I'm just guessing, though.

dynamic content and incorrect 'expires' tags might be a problem.  web devs should always be testing their code using the 'bookmark' method as well as urls entered directly.

of course, middle man 'content delivery' systems really throw a monkeywrench into this.  that could be a big part of it; THEY are also a cache.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2017, 03:12:53 am »
I know what is going on.

Dave simply could not resist performing a "teardown" of its main server.... ;D
He is going to post a video soon. >:D >:D

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2017, 05:01:19 am »
I just got a series of mixed error messages, the first was stating that the site could not be reached and shortly after the 502 message appeared again, after a wait and a number of refreshes the page eventually restored but it took quite a while, I suspect that the 502 is just a generic indicator that the site is temporarily busy or offline, sooner or later it always returns.

I have no clue but that in itself is nothing new.   :-// ???

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2017, 08:35:27 am »
'502 City, have a nice day..'  this morning   :horse:

Working like a champ in the evening   :-+ 

No changes performed on the browser,
because if Ebay and other big sites are working ok, why stuff about with browser settings?  |O

KISS  :-*

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2017, 09:49:34 am »
Almost sure this is something interacting with the browser and Clodflare, i rarely get the 502, but do get stalled connections, which are fine with a non cached reload.

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2017, 10:01:36 am »
I think it is just timezone related combined with randomness. So for some people it will be very prevalent because it if frequent during the times they visit the forum, and others will rarely see it. If the effect is only occurring 10% of the time, then you would be very unlikely to get the error twice in a row. At other times the rate might be close to 100%, which would have the users report that the error is persistent.

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
  • Trust me I'm an engineer
    • My Homepage
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2017, 10:22:04 am »
I agree :-)
I think its load related!
On the weekend I see the error more often.
Good luck fixing it  :-/O

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2017, 01:01:47 pm »
I got the error very constantly when calling "https://www.eevblog.com/forum/" over the last few days. However other pages, e.g. calling the recently changed pages work ok. Not sure why, there could be something cached. It happens not only from the bookmarks, but also when going there from the main-page.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2017, 01:06:50 pm »
I got the error very constantly when calling "https://www.eevblog.com/forum/" over the last few days. However other pages, e.g. calling the recently changed pages work ok. Not sure why, there could be something cached. It happens not only from the bookmarks, but also when going there from the main-page.
I had exactly the same, yep it's locally cached.
Try F5 each time you bump into the 502............haven't had any now for a couple of days.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2017, 02:05:44 am »
I viewed the forum briefly this morning at around 06:00 local time and everything appeared fine but at around 10:30 it all turned to crap with the constant 502 error window, another similar thread suggested users should press the ctrl & F5 keys to reload the page but being on a smart TV at the time without a keyboard attached made this operation impossible.

Anyway, is there any chance that these intermittent outages are being caused on purpose or maliciously generated by some fruit loop ?, it wouldn't surprise me one bit you know.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2017, 02:07:36 am »
I see there are two threads on this error, but as I said, tonight it's killing me, I can't even PM a member I need to talk to.  :-[

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2017, 02:18:44 am »
There are way more than two theads on the subject, three that I know of just in this chat section and probably stacks more elsewhere. I have noticed this becoming more frequent of late with multiple threads all with the same or similar content, people really need to use the forums search feature before creating new threads or look back at recently created threads for this to be minimised, It is becoming difficult to keep track on which thread to follow.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2017, 12:58:19 pm »
I think its load related!

It doesn't seem to match with the peaks in Guests+Users.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2017, 01:15:28 pm »
Houston, we have a problem:

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2017, 01:27:47 pm »

I can't see it!

BTW the 502s are here now.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2017, 01:32:43 pm »
I just did a graceful reboot.
Seems to have fixed it, now only using 9.6GB of the 32GB memory

The following users thanked this post: RGB255_0_0, Electro Detective

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2017, 01:34:01 pm »
hey, at least the message comes from cloudflare now
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2017, 01:37:01 pm »
I suspect that the popcorn emoticon is sucking all the juice.   :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2017, 01:38:08 pm »
gnif informs me this is normal. We are using all the RAM for a database buffer for increased performance. The 9.6GB will slowly grow back to 32GB again.
gnif will investigate tomorrow.

Offline LIV2

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2017, 01:44:08 pm »
Besides DB buffers linux will use the memory for cache/buffers for other stuff too.
Explanation: http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Dave do you have any stats graphing configured on your server? Something like munin or influx+telegraf & grafana would give you historical stats for the memory usage etc and make it a lot easier to pinpoint the problem. maybe difficult to get going depending on your linux sysadmin skill level but well worth the effort.

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2017, 01:51:14 pm »
Linux considers free memory useless, so will try to fill it with cache or buffers. You should only worry if memory is almost full with little cache or buffers.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2017, 03:01:06 am »
I have not checked all the threads; but I'm curious; WHAT HAS CHANGED since these errors started showing up?

did the content mgmt system get upgraded?  anything upgraded?  anything changed?

if nothing on the server side changed, it would have to be cloudflare.

and if its cloudflare, maybe its time to dump them.

but I suspect something at the code side has changed.  do you guys have version controls so you can go back and find what happened when things broke (timeframe)?

Offline Naguissa

• Regular Contributor
    • Foro de electricidad, electrónica y DIY / HUM en español
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2017, 06:02:09 am »

Noooooo!

Add 15Gb of buffers' 3rd col to free memory! You had half memory available!

What I don't know is why it was using 1.2Gb of swap with so much free ram.

Probably you have a (cron?) process that uses a lot of memory runing from time to time (backup process?).

Enviado desde mi Jolla mediante Tapatalk

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2017, 06:43:49 am »
What I don't know is why it was using 1.2Gb of swap with so much free ram.
Probably some data that has not been accessed for a long time. Might as well swap it out so you can use more memory as buffer if nobody is going to use that data anyhow. I find a few GB of swap usage quote normal for systems that have been running for a couple of days, even those with barely any memory pressure.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2017, 07:47:39 pm »
Site seem slow, the 502s will be along in a minute.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2017, 07:56:58 pm »
Site seem slow, the 502s will be along in a minute.

Yep, just encountered the first one for today  :--

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2017, 08:01:36 pm »
I got quite a few 502 errors today.
I have 32GB in my home PC, server needs more 

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2017, 08:06:50 pm »
Me too  |O

Offline M4trix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2017, 08:10:44 pm »
Maybe Aurora Australis is active these days !  ;D

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2017, 08:14:45 pm »
It looks like it's back alive now. It is always the same pattern, the site gets slower and slower until it takes 15-20 seconds to load when you click a topic. Soon after that it will give you the famous 502 page which you can overcome by refreshing the page (Ctrl-F5) but it will still be slow. Then for some unknown reason it is back to normal like now.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2017, 08:17:18 pm »
Yep, just encountered the first one for today  :--

I haven't seen one yet, but I recognize the slowdown just before they appear.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2017, 08:21:44 pm »
Yep, it has recovered to full speed now, I managed to not see any 502s. :)

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2017, 02:30:45 pm »
Got the same error yesterday or the day before.  It was doing it despite rebooting the computer.  >:D

I then went to my laptop (via WiFi but on the same router as my main computer) and the link was working just fine.
I then went back the main computer and I got the gateway error again.

Using CCleaner I cleaned up all the cookies and caches on the machine and ran a registry scan. All is OK now.  :)
Looks like a cookie or cache from the Chrome browser, acquired when there was a real bad gateway issue with the forum, was doing this even though the forum was OK now.

I'll see if that is repeatable next time there is an issue.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:33:16 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2017, 04:55:37 am »
The forum is seriously sick, 502's one after another.
Pot luck if you can get access to any board or thread and if you want to make a post, good luck with that too.

Copy all info typed and pray when you go to post that it gets accepted.
The Preview when it works at least puts your efforts on the server and then you can play the Post>Back>Post>Back>Post game.

When you send a command (press link) if it doesn't get bounced back immediately with a 502, the server seems to take an age to respond (20s) before the browser indicates it's loading.

My poor F5 has never had such a hiding.

Calling gnif, come in gnif.

Edit to add.
When accessing the last post in a thread you briefly get to see it and when page then finishes loading your looking at the top of the page.

Somethings seriously sick.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:09:30 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Muttley Snickers, jpanhalt, radzeck

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2017, 06:15:56 am »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2017, 06:24:12 am »
What a nightmare, probably not related at all but I even had trouble trying to get on to the #eevblog IRC channel for some news or other peoples connection status, if the main forum page does load then you should look at the last post times to verify that the page is live and not a historical cached version.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2017, 06:29:42 am »
Got the same error yesterday or the day before.  It was doing it despite rebooting the computer.  >:D

I then went to my laptop (via WiFi but on the same router as my main computer) and the link was working just fine.
I then went back the main computer and I got the gateway error again.

Using CCleaner I cleaned up all the cookies and caches on the machine and ran a registry scan. All is OK now.  :)
Looks like a cookie or cache from the Chrome browser, acquired when there was a real bad gateway issue with the forum, was doing this even though the forum was OK now.

I'll see if that is repeatable next time there is an issue.

Mate, this error has nothing to do with your computer. It's the server which has problems. No need for you to reboot or fiddle around otherwise.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2017, 06:40:42 am »
Starting a few hours, the 502 err started again for me. Since then it was VERY consistent. Always 502 err bad gateway. I was using Win10/Mozilla.

Trying to debug a little, when tested with Tor under a Debian 8 VMware machine, EEVblog was consistently working just fine.  :-//

Under Mozilla/Win10 I use to access EEVblog by clicking a bookmark saved long time ago. My Mozilla/Win10 bookmark was pointing to "https://www.eevblog.com/forum/". If I edit the link in the address bar to use https, "https://www.eevblog.com/forum/" then it's working OK.

To sum up:
VMware/Linux/Tor/http - always working
VMware/Linux/Tor/https - always working

Win10/Mozilla/http - 502 bad gateway
Win10/Mozilla/https - always working

In conclusion, using https instead of http helped me to get rid of the 502 error on Win10/Mozila.

Offline 1Ghz

• Supporter
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2017, 06:43:04 am »
Mate, this error has nothing to do with your computer. It's the server which has problems. No need for you to reboot or fiddle around otherwise.

You are right.
HTTP error codes 5xx are server side errors. Not client side.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2017, 08:20:24 am »
Welcome Back to 502 City a few hours ago

All good again, like nothing happened  :-//

Are there any ad thingies interfering with the works perhaps?

Anyway guys, don't break Dave's balls about it,

he's supplying the forum for FREE after all  :clap:

and it will get sorted out when it does  :-+

Meanwhile, back at the WWW superhighway... 

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2017, 08:56:40 am »
here:
   linux (kubuntu 14.04):
       firefox 54.0 = bad gateway Error  |O
       chromium 59.0.3071.109 = no problem  8)

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2017, 09:37:08 am »
Probably caching/session related, rather than browser/OS.

The following users thanked this post: not1xor1

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2017, 09:51:13 am »
Probably caching/session related, rather than browser/OS.

yes... reloading the page via F5 solved the problem in firefox  :-+

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2017, 02:59:47 pm »

""
Quote from: ebastler on Yesterday at 04:29:42 PM

You are right.
HTTP error codes 5xx are server side errors. Not client side.

""

You are both right of course. The original 502 gateway error is server side.

However since my main computer was always showing the error but simultaneously my laptop did not have issues both connected to the forum at the same time from the same cable modem via my router obviously something was different between the two computer. Cleaning cookies and cache on the machine cleared it. I assume my Chrome browser had the initial 502 page in its cache...

Has not come back yet. Next time I'll see if that is reproducible.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:02:37 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2017, 03:05:22 pm »
heh, this is a server side issue and a problem with resources, not something clients are doing. There is nothing you can do to workaround it.

Most likely a bad configuration relating to sql timeouts and buffer sizes, or max_connections being too small, or a memory leak in sql or forum code most likely. I am guessing config , since this issue arises with growth and traffic.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:16:24 pm by tablatronix »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2017, 05:45:02 pm »
heh, this is a server side issue and a problem with resources, not something clients are doing.

It starts off as a temporary server problem, but then becomes a bigger problem - for most users, the way the 502 page is cached.
I saw very few 502s yesterday, but tried to capture some of their headers, to me 304 seemed right, but 14400 seemed wrong, but that could very easily be because I had no idea what I was doing!

traffic.

I usually have the main index page open in another tab, so have been looking at the number of guests and users when I see some 502s, very roughly, so far the 502s seem to appear when the number of guests and users is low-ish rather than high-ish.

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2017, 05:54:26 pm »
What is the cause and what is the effect? Could it be that many of the guests (some of which bots) stop trying if they see errors popping up? Like a reasonable person would do, instead of some of you addicts ;).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2017, 01:10:28 am »
I shut down ALL page/s when the 502 appears and try the site again later

Pumping the F5 button and various reload/clear/refresh force tricks  :horse:  >:( :horse: isn't doing the EEVblog server or boss Dave any favors,
especially whilst trying to sort itself out, AND keep up with the extra  'addicts'  demand  |O

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:12:23 am by Electro Detective »

Offline MarkS

• Supporter
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2017, 01:19:04 am »
extra  'addicts'  demand

Off to take a hit of "Projects, Designs and Technical Stuff"...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2017, 01:24:30 am »
Pumping the F5 button and various reload/clear/refresh force tricks  :horse:  >:( :horse: isn't doing the EEVblog server or boss Dave any favors,
especially whilst trying to sort itself out, AND keep up with the extra  'addicts'  demand  |O
Nor is having a forum that was basically unusable for ~3hrs yesterday.
Online #'s dropped right away as most couldn't be bothered with the BS.
Maybe the new RAM that was installed a few weeks back is crook or there's a virus in the server as up until a week or two back the forums been better than ever.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2017, 10:05:28 am »

Would your ~3hrs happen to be very close to 4hrs?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2017, 10:12:07 am »

Would your ~3hrs happen to be very close to 4hrs?
It was shite for most of yesterday afternoon but worst from ~3pm until just after 6 NZT.
The post list on the main page just showed a few posts in that time, some were mine after bashing the shite out of F5.  :-BROKE
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2017, 10:50:19 am »
On the few browsers I've tried, ctrl-reload or ctrl-refresh always gets passed the caching, (I don't know about ctrl-F5) often giving just another 502! - so wait a bit before trying that thread again.

I think if all 1200 guests and 250 users were doing that it would slow down the recovery, so don't tell anyone. :)

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2017, 09:57:42 am »
got some 502 before .....

Now its time for more information:

http://rsgiveaway.knoebel.at/loadtime.php

I wrote an Cornjob which checks the side every 1 Minute.
It also shows users and guests and should also detect 502 ;-)
The link shows a graph with the captured data.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2017, 10:00:16 am »
Killa performance in Kangaroo Central today  :-+

boss Dave has pumped server with Virtual Adrenaline software?   :o

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2017, 11:07:35 am »
No 502's on Chrome or IE for about 2 days.  :)

Previous 2 days the forum was unusable on any browser.

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2017, 11:17:48 am »
Even though clearing my browser cache sometimes seems to resolve the issue it definitely doesn't always. So, for that reason alone I am prepared to believe those who comment and seem to know, this is ultimately a server problem. I hope we get some clarity about the issue soon so this speculation can be put to rest. At least for now.

Maybe if you get an 502 check with my graph if it is correlated ;-)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2017, 02:35:26 pm »
Maybe if you get an 502 check with my graph if it is correlated ;-)

Your graph is lacking labels or units on the time axis, which makes it difficult to correlate anything. Could you add labels?

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2017, 02:58:13 pm »
Your graph is lacking labels or units on the time axis, which makes it difficult to correlate anything. Could you add labels?

Point your mouse at the loadtime line.

Offline nugglix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2017, 03:00:21 pm »

Point your mouse at the loadtime line.

:palm:
Doesn't help much, I'd say.

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2017, 03:17:46 pm »

UPDATE:

I'm using google charts .. they should handle all the front end ... but yes i tried 10 different things no luck ...
The only work around i found was to use the Tooltip!
After some time (1 Day) the grid lines should be showing up.. just not working under one day  |O |O |O

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2017, 09:21:22 pm »
UPDATE:
[...]
The only work around i found was to use the Tooltip!

Thanks, the tool tip does help! The preliminary conclusion from your data seems to be that inordinate load times (and hence probably 502 errors as well?) are not correlated with an unusually high number of users?

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2017, 10:22:59 pm »
somebody spank that gateway already

Offline DG41WV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2017, 12:51:25 am »
F5 worked for me.

windows 8.1                Firefox 54.0.1

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2017, 06:02:12 am »
or a memory leak

they dont use liquid memory anymore.

so, thats not it.

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2017, 09:47:42 am »
Detected some 502 2 hour ago ...  |O

did some have problems?

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2017, 09:52:26 am »
Yes.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2017, 12:40:54 pm »
Saw a few 502s while trying to get to this thread. LOL

There always seems to be a drop in the number of Guests at the time of the 502s, not really enough resolution or data on pknoe3lh's graph to see which happens first, but it looks like the drop in number of Guests happens first, but that could just be because the graph itself hasn't seen a 502 - yet.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:45:22 pm by StillTrying »

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2017, 12:43:30 pm »
Update:

zoom function added ;-)

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2017, 02:37:08 pm »
or a memory leak

they dont use liquid memory anymore.
so, thats not it.

Ugh, yes -- those mercury leaks must have been messy, back in the day...

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2017, 02:39:42 pm »
yeah, between memory spilling all over the place, and lp0 being on fire, it was a lot to keep up with, back in the day.

;)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2017, 03:58:52 pm »
Whatever the cause, the 502 errors just keep coming back. It's making the forum borderline unusable for me.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2017, 06:11:14 pm »
Update:

zoom function added ;-)

I like the smaller stars (maybe a bit too small?) but it looks like the script stopped collecting data now?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2017, 06:37:08 pm »
The forum is seriously sick, 502's one after another.
Pot luck if you can get access to any board or thread and if you want to make a post, good luck with that too.

Copy all info typed and pray when you go to post that it gets accepted.
The Preview when it works at least puts your efforts on the server and then you can play the Post>Back>Post>Back>Post game.

When you send a command (press link) if it doesn't get bounced back immediately with a 502, the server seems to take an age to respond (20s) before the browser indicates it's loading.

My poor F5 has never had such a hiding.

Calling gnif, come in gnif.

Edit to add.
When accessing the last post in a thread you briefly get to see it and when page then finishes loading your looking at the top of the page.

Somethings seriously sick.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 :wtf:
Groundhog day.  :scared:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:39:53 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2017, 06:56:06 pm »
Update:

http://rsgiveaway.knoebel.at

new Url ... I overwrote something else :-(
Added new line on the bottom

I like the smaller stars (maybe a bit too small?) but it looks like the script stopped collecting data now?
Changed to an additional curve
And yes I was working on this changes   ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:00:19 pm by pknoe3lh »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2017, 07:05:12 pm »
I don't get this. It's not like Dave is running this server from his bedroom closet, right? There is supposedly a professional service provider behind this -- known as user "gnif" in this forum, but he is doing this for a living (https://hostfission.com/). Why is is not possible to get this error condition sorted out? Why it is recurring again and again, after months, weeks, days?!   |O

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2017, 07:10:49 pm »
Changed to an additional curve
And yes I was working on this changes   ;)

I guessed that much yes, thanks. Would be interesting to run the script at some other servers in other parts of the world, sometimes it looks like not all are equally seeing the problem, which would point more in the direction of Cloudflare. And I really think the 502 page could do with a pragma no-cache and pragma content=no-cache...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2017, 07:16:38 pm »
I don't get this. It's not like Dave is running this server from his bedroom closet, right? There is supposedly a professional service provider behind this -- known as user "gnif" in this forum, but he is doing this for a living (https://hostfission.com/). Why is is not possible to get this error condition sorted out? Why it is recurring again and again, after months, weeks, days?!   |O
AFAIK Daves server is in the US and gnif just remotely manages it and does the tweaks.  :-/O

The server provider threw a whole lot more RAM in it recently and it was 100% for some months but it's back to it's old tricks it seems.
But yeah, the silence is deafening.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2017, 07:28:42 pm »
with a vengeance

I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, orolo

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2017, 07:44:47 pm »
It's always 24th March 2017

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2017, 07:56:56 pm »
I've experienced a huge number of 502 errors, in the last few hours, timing approximate. Making the forum essentially unusable.

EDIT: Just getting this post made, has itself caused a significant number of error 502's as well.
I.e. lots of attempts.
When it does work, there seems to be a long delay as well, of something like 20 seconds or so.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:03:37 pm by MK14 »

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2017, 07:59:55 pm »

Agree; I am disappointed that "Dave & gnif" don't comment on this at all. Guys, this is embarrasing for a technology forum, in case you have not noticed!!

They could at least update that stupid error message talking about the March database changes, for Pete's sake! It's almost as if they were a scope manufacturerer and could not be bothered to fix that "pluses" label...  :P

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2017, 08:09:41 pm »

Yup, definitely Groundhog Day.

FWIW, I haven't seen more than an occasional 502 error in the past.  But today, it's been crazy.  I either get an instant 502 error or I have to wait up to 45 sec. for the page, any page, to load.  If I get a 502 error, I don't have to hit F5, I just reload the page.  After a few attempts, instead of an instant 502 error I get the long wait for the page load.

Do we know for sure that this is a bug?  Could it be a hack or an attack?

:popcorn:

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2017, 08:12:07 pm »

At least it's a useful reminder of my wedding anniversary.  :D
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: NivagSwerdna

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2017, 08:14:00 pm »

Agree; I am disappointed that "Dave & gnif" don't comment on this at all. Guys, this is embarrasing for a technology forum, in case you have not noticed!!

They could at least update that stupid error message talking about the March database changes, for Pete's sake! It's almost as if they were a scope manufacturerer and could not be bothered to fix that "pluses" label...  :P
Dave did comment ~a week ago, see reply ~100.
Either SMF is not playing nice with the server OS or there's something wrong with the OS or the setup.

Then again Dave was going to shell out for more RAM but the server people added the additional RAM for free........maybe it's crook RAM.  :-\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2017, 08:17:12 pm »
Quote from: MK14
I've experienced a huge number of 502 errors, in the last few hours, timing approximate. Making the forum essentially unusable.

EDIT: Just getting this post made, has itself caused a significant number of error 502's as well.
I.e. lots of attempts.
When it does work, there seems to be a long delay as well, of something like 20 seconds or so.
There is an irony to the fact that  you can't complain about all the 502 errors because of all the 502 errors  :scared:

Forum essentially unusable at present, as you observe.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:18:55 pm by grumpydoc »

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2017, 08:24:38 pm »
Quote from: MK14

I.e. lots of attempts.
There is an irony to the fact that  you can't complain about all the 502 errors because of all the 502 errors  :scared:

Forum essentially unusable at present, as you observe.

Yes more red then green |O |O |O |O

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2017, 08:28:08 pm »
It's been getting worse for a couple of weeks, and it's basically unusable at this point.  I don't know what it is...I'm on a lot of forums, this one has by far the least amount of traffic, yet has by far the most amount of problems.  It's continuous, I can't even remember the last time I went a full week without getting a server error on this forum.  I'm not just talking about the last couple of weeks, I'm talking about ever since I signed up several years ago.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2017, 08:38:03 pm »
Today is pretty bad. Combination of gateway errors and very very slow response if it works..... :(

Offline M4trix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2017, 08:57:15 pm »
Too many Aussies are currently online. Probably the server can't handle it.  :rant:  ;)

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2017, 08:57:43 pm »

I don't know where the graph's server is, but the timing of the 502s that I saw matched with the stars/dots exactly.
From the posts, I think everyone is seeing the same thing from every location.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:16:27 pm by StillTrying »

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2017, 08:59:58 pm »

I don't know where the graph's server is, but the 502s that I saw matched with the stars/dots exactly.
From the posts, I think everyone is seeing the same thing from every location.

Germany ;-)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2017, 09:04:31 pm »
Too many Aussies are currently online. Probably the server can't handle it.  :rant:  ;)
Nah, they're just waking up. It's around 7am there.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2017, 09:05:29 pm »
Should set the server to reboot every 3 days as a work around until this gets sorted. It did seem to work in the short term.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2017, 09:18:50 pm »
Should set the server to reboot every 3 days

3 times a day would be better.  :)
I was here when dave rebooted, it was very quick, I only saw one 521.

Offline Naguissa

• Regular Contributor
    • Foro de electricidad, electrónica y DIY / HUM en español
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2017, 09:32:49 pm »
Dave, you can try to intall:
memcache and php-memcache or php5-memcache

And, of php5, php5-apc or php5-apcu

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=467415.0

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2017, 09:40:55 pm »
If this site uses cloudflare you might need to make sure your forum has X-Forwarded-For inspection enabled.

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2017, 10:32:26 pm »
In the US here. Sometimes the 502s drive me crazy from home (DSL), yet it seems to happen less often at work. (yes, I check in on breaks and lunch) Might just be the time of day. Sometimes I'll do a flush on cached Chrome data and then no 502s. Or maybe it's just luck. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. Frustrating.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2017, 10:36:08 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I am sorry about the lack of attention I have given this forum as of late, I have had little free time to assist here. That said I am digging into this now and will hopefully have a solution soon.

If this site uses cloudflare you might need to make sure your forum has X-Forwarded-For inspection enabled.

Thanks for the info, this is already catered for though. 502 is a server side error, a failure of Nginx to communicate with the PHP fpm process.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Gary350z, MK14

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #183 on: July 25, 2017, 10:36:19 pm »
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2017, 10:47:04 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I am sorry about the lack of attention I have given this forum as of late, I have had little free time to assist here. That said I am digging into this now and will hopefully have a solution soon.
Be sure to check this site put together by pknoe3lh:
http://rsgiveaway.knoebel.at/

You might get some clues from correlation of error reports on the server to it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2017, 11:04:50 pm »
Thanks for checking in gnif

it has been pretty bad

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2017, 11:08:19 pm »
Dave, you can try to intall:
memcache and php-memcache or php5-memcache

And, of php5, php5-apc or php5-apcu

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=467415.0

Thanks but we are already leveraging opcode caching and memcached.

Hi Everyone,

Be sure to check this site put together by pknoe3lh:
http://rsgiveaway.knoebel.at/

You might get some clues from correlation of error reports on the server to it.

I appreciate the information but I am already collecting this data amongst much more, this server is fully monitored but as I stated, due to the fact that I offer this to Dave as a favor I can not justify the time on it when I have paying clients that demand attention.

Thanks for checking in gnif

it has been pretty bad

You're most welcome :)

The following users thanked this post: tautech, MK14

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2017, 11:12:04 pm »
Just a heads up, I will be restarting services on the server to tune/test and debug, this will cause disruptions to the site. Reports of outages during this time only serve to distract, I will update here when things are stable and no further changes are expected.

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, Muttley Snickers, gnavigator1007, MK14, The Soulman

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2017, 12:35:34 am »
I believe I have located the issue, it is a bug with how PHP handles file locking of the sessions. I attached a debugger to PHP during antoher outage just now which confirmed it was hung on a file lock request.

Code: [Select]
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007f7b27384c47 in flock () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#1  0x0000000000667795 in ps_files_open (data=0x7f7b264bb0c0, key=0x7f7b264ad018 "hb2g026hbbs97ukagljo5ainok") at *REDACTED*/ext/session/mod_files.c:214
#2  0x0000000000667a88 in ps_read_files (mod_data=<value optimized out>, key=<value optimized out>, val=0x7fff595009a8, maxlifetime=<value optimized out>)
    at *REDACTED*/ext/session/mod_files.c:482
#3  0x0000000000664c07 in php_session_initialize () at *REDACTED*/ext/session/session.c:426
#4  0x000000000066518d in php_session_start () at *REDACTED*/ext/session/session.c:1534

To work around this I am evaluating switching session storage to memcached, it seems though that SMF doesn't like this much, I am investigating options right now to try to resolve this.

Update: SMF is trying to store too much data in sessions to use memcached, I have instead switched it over to session storage in the database. We turned this off years ago due to the performance hit due to the inability to use InnoDB tables, and a lack of server RAM. This is no longer the case, and as such we can return to using the native SMF database session storage.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:55:36 am by gnif »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, pknoe3lh

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2017, 01:17:08 am »
This is probably just a side effect of your process gnif and I don't mean to distract you but the numbers of online users dropped off dramatically during the last hour or so. Oh here we go, the third picture is the most recent and shows the users returning, somebody must have left the gate open.   :palm:

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2017, 01:19:38 am »
This is probably just a side effect of your process gnif and I don't mean to distract you but the numbers of online users dropped off dramatically during the last hour or so. Oh here we go, the third picture is the most recent and shows the users returning, somebody must have left the gate open.   :palm:

The switch of the session storage will have logged everyone out and messed with the stats of online users.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2017, 01:21:27 am »
Quick lock the buggers out before they sneak back in, it's going nicely again now  :phew:

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2017, 02:31:15 am »
Today is pretty bad. Combination of gateway errors and very very slow response if it works..... :(

OK just came back after dinner and it did show gateway error again on my Chrome browser, just like this afternoon. Cleared up the cookies and cache and all is OK now (till next time).

Although the original issue is server side my browser will keep giving me the original cached error page, even though the real problem has now been cleared it seem.
Lots of people might "see" the error a much longer time than it was active if they don't cleanup the caches. The behaviour might be different with different browsers of course.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:35:23 am by richnormand »

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2017, 08:12:47 am »
Looks good again  :-+

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2017, 10:38:30 am »

OK just came back after dinner and it did show gateway error again on my Chrome browser, just like this afternoon. Cleared up the cookies and cache and all is OK now (till next time).

Although the original issue is server side my browser will keep giving me the original cached error page, even though the real problem has now been cleared it seem.
Lots of people might "see" the error a much longer time than it was active if they don't cleanup the caches. The behaviour might be different with different browsers of course.

This could be CloudFlare and your browser, it will cache the 502s to try to alleviate some load from the target server. The server logs show that there has been no 502's since I corrected the session issue, but with this kind of error only time will tell if it is finally fixed. Thank you everyone for being so patient, I take it personally when things I support do not function correctly as it is a reflection of my technical ability.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, richnormand

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2017, 02:19:46 pm »

This could be CloudFlare and your browser, it will cache the 502s to try to alleviate some load from the target server. The server logs show that there has been no 502's since I corrected the session issue, but with this kind of error only time will tell if it is finally fixed. Thank you everyone for being so patient, I take it personally when things I support do not function correctly as it is a reflection of my technical ability.
It shouldn't question your ability but it does question your ability to provide time  ;)

I think I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate your effort.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2017, 03:16:30 pm »
I believe I have located the issue, it is a bug with how PHP handles file locking of the sessions. I attached a debugger to PHP during antoher outage just now which confirmed it was hung on a file lock request.

To work around this I am evaluating switching session storage to memcached, it seems though that SMF doesn't like this much, I am investigating options right now to try to resolve this.

Update: SMF is trying to store too much data in sessions to use memcached, I have instead switched it over to session storage in the database. We turned this off years ago due to the performance hit due to the inability to use InnoDB tables, and a lack of server RAM. This is no longer the case, and as such we can return to using the native SMF database session storage.

Does SMF follow the same session locking strategy whether memcached is used or a table? One being faster than the other only. If that is the case (I don't claim to know one way or the other) then won't the session lock still happen under the same circumstances albeit perhaps with a smaller timing window in the faster case?

At the moment just based on reading what you've said I don't see that waiting on an unavailable lock is a bug necessarily. Waiting may not be the best response in some cases, and it might be better for a session to release all locks and try later if some locks are currently held.

Perhaps if gnif hasn't the time explain the nature of the bug someone else here who does this stuff can explain it.

PHP can handle sessions using several different methods.

1) Files (default). It creates a /tmp/sess_XXXXX file for each session which contains the PHP serialized data for the session.
2) Memcache, in this instance memcache handles the atomic operations in RAM rather then on the FS, which is extremely fast, but... the record size is constrained too much for SMF to work with it.
3) Custom, you can register your own handlers and store it however you want, in the case of SMF it is using a session table in the database.

With files, PHP relies on the flock system call, and then funlock at the end of the request, this is fine normally, but when you start to get a very busy website if a PHP process takes an age to complete and gets terminated by the CGI handler (FPM in this instance), the call to funlock never gets called, the file remains locked (PHP processes are reused, the process doesn't terminate so the kernel doesn't clean these up). Then on the next request, PHP hangs without a timeout waiting on it's call to flock the session. This should really be handled better, such as registering the locks with the CGI handler, or something similar. There is only a finite amount of PHP handlers running, once they are all hung up on waiting for locks that will never occur, there are none left for Nginx to pass the request to and thus the 502.

With memcache, there is a limit on the object size stored, SMF is storing way too much in the session to store it in memcache. Also there is the issue of persistance, memcache is not guaranteed not to evict the data stored to make room for other stuff, there is a chance that your cached data gets dropped.

With the custom method, in this instance DB storage, it is up to MySQL to handle the locking, which detects if the session is terminated and unlocks any locks held when the client disconnects.

I hope this clears things up a little.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:19:55 pm by gnif »

The following users thanked this post: alm

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2017, 01:34:11 am »
It sounds like this is an inherent design problem in PHP and short of a change it is a vulnerability the system admin can't get rid of. Not without some means to clear hung sessions holding critical locks.

It must be a common probem in busy servers using the same architecture then. If so I am surprised someone else hasn't already developed a custom solution that can be installed. Or have they?

This is the first instance I personally have seen of this issue on a production system, usually however when a site grows as large as this one you ditch things like cPanel and run full dedicated, which gives much greater control on how the server operates. Unfortunately Dave needs the ability to manage this server when I am not around so this is not really much of an option for him.

What happens if a forum user logs out? Does that trigger a release of the lock held for that session? Is that why you disconnected people yesterday?

It really depends on the application, most apps will call session_destroy which does exactly that, removes the entire session record/file/cache entry, others will blank the auth data in the session. Even if you are not logged in though you have a session, every visitor is assigned one so the website can track you even if you are a guest. This is common practice.

As for the 'disconnection' of people, no, this was not intentional, it is a side effect of changing storage methods. We went from files on disk to database records, there is no means to import the sessions from the files on disk into the database.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2017, 07:37:15 am »
And... it's back  >:(   :horse:

Offline nugglix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2017, 07:37:39 am »
It's back.  :--

Corresponds  to the load times shown at http://rsgiveaway.knoebel.at/
This really starts to suck!

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2017, 07:38:24 am »
And... it's back  >:(   :horse:
With a vengeance!

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2017, 07:44:20 am »
Good, with no forum to read lately I was starting to get some overdue stuff done around here anyway. I got three outages in a row over about five minutes.

What a bugger, I thought we had it nailed.   :horse:

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2017, 08:10:02 am »
I'm sorry if this is completely unrelated, I haven't been following this thread but on this laptop of mine - for the last two days or so - I have not been able to (and still can't) reach the forum using IE (Edge), however using Chrome works.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2017, 08:51:27 am »
I'm sorry if this is completely unrelated, I haven't been following this thread but on this laptop of mine - for the last two days or so - I have not been able to (and still can't) reach the forum using IE (Edge), however using Chrome works.

If you want help you must let us know what "still cant" means? do you get an error? what error?... etc.

As for the new outages... working on it, again please don't report for now, I will let you all know when I am done.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2017, 09:19:28 am »
I'm sorry...
As of right now at this moment I can not reach the forum using IE, I get the 502-Bad gateway error message/page.
However, using Chrome I'm able to reach the forum and write this post.

I open IE (Edge) and browse to eevblog.com/forum and get the 502 error page. open Chrome and browse to eevblog.com/forum and it works, I try again with IE still get the 502. And that's how it's been for me the last two days or so.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: July 27, 2017, 10:23:41 am »
Guys, PLEASE !!!   :horse:

Cut the EEVblog admin some slack here,
running servers isn't like troubleshooting bad capacitors or fried diodes whilst googling repair tips, eating maccas and listening to Abba in the background

Try and understand this alien lingo, and put yourself in the admin's shoes..
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb794799.aspx

The following users thanked this post: pknoe3lh

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #206 on: July 27, 2017, 10:50:49 am »
I, for one, certainly didn't mean to criticize anyone I was mearly trying to help. If I was  :horse: or if anyone (admin in particullar) felt I was criticizing I appologize.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: July 27, 2017, 10:56:08 am »
I have noticed that when I got the 502 error, the next time I log on, I have to refresh the page (F5) otherwise the error stays in the cache. And this is the same for every subforum I am in. Each one needs a F5, if it previously had the error.

Today I had no problems at all.
Thanks for fixing it.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2017, 02:21:11 pm »
I can access the main page, "https://www.eevblog.com/forum/" or any topic I am clicking, but

constantly getting 502 - Bad Gateway errors when I'm logged in and access the two links near my avatar on the top of the page
- Show unread posts since last visit.
- Show new replies to your posts.

For me, the forum was unusable in the last couple of days.
 :-\

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2017, 02:28:18 pm »
And now, after a few F5 (refresh page) over the 502 err pages, all is working OK.

I don't understand why 502 Err keeps coming back after a few days/weeks, and why each time there is another way to solve it. Last time it was to switch from http to https, now it's just an F5. I don't get it.  :-//

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2017, 02:39:00 pm »
And now, after a few F5 (refresh page) over the 502 err pages, all is working OK.

I don't understand why 502 Err keeps coming back after a few days/weeks, and why each time there is another way to solve it. Last time it was to switch from http to https, now it's just an F5. I don't get it.  :-//

The browser is just caching it! Thats all!
The idea behind it is to reduce the load in case of an error. (everyone is just trying to reload)
So if you reload the side again it will not see your request => less load!

some browsers are overdoing it  :--
so the cache will stay too long.

when you enter https instead of http its a new side for the browser and it will not load it from the cache.

So it depends on your browser. For some its enough to hit F5 a lot
Others you need to press SHIFT and F5 at the same time.

so good luck fixing your problem  :box:

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2017, 10:44:23 pm »
Update: I have made a few changes and enabled some additional metrics collection, I would not consider the issue resolved at this point. Before proceeding any further I need to wait a day or two to collect more data to see if a pattern emerges.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2017, 12:54:04 am »
Strange and maybe not a clue but Win7 Explorer will give me the 502 with http.  https, nothing else I don't have the problem.  Switch back, 502 returns.  Back to s, goes away.   Win10 box Explorer at same time without s, no 502.   Very strange and makes no sense but seems repeatable. 

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2017, 03:11:39 am »
Another session ~20 mins ago and this fixed it  :phew:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #214 on: July 28, 2017, 03:37:21 am »
I got it again today too, this is not good.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: July 28, 2017, 03:39:12 am »
Same here.  :(

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #216 on: July 28, 2017, 07:25:22 am »
It looks much better!

The last fix did a lot I think. Now the outtakes are very short and less frequent.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #217 on: July 28, 2017, 04:53:45 pm »
briefly here also, not like before though

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #218 on: July 29, 2017, 02:47:19 am »
Further changes went in today that should help with things, I have also noted that there is a nasty plugin on the wordpress website issuing some pretty poor queries. Dave is now migrating to a new plugin that should fix this.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Muttley Snickers, MK14, pknoe3lh

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #219 on: July 29, 2017, 07:51:33 am »
Further changes went in today that should help with things, I have also noted that there is a nasty plugin on the wordpress website issuing some pretty poor queries. Dave is now migrating to a new plugin that should fix this.

Yep, this was Podpress. We have moved over to a new podcasting system (which even the Podpress author recommends) and an issue I have had with slow logging into wp-admin has now gone.
Hopefully this was the problem.

The following users thanked this post: gnif

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2017, 12:24:17 am »
Almost 24 hours since the last detected 502's :D... we might have this all sorted now :D. Anyone have any more 502's that a refresh wont fix, please report them here.

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2017, 12:56:57 am »
Show new replies to your posts.

That link gives me a 502 still.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2017, 01:04:17 am »
Show new replies to your posts.

That link gives me a 502 still.

Force refresh then, it's cached. 502s are entire website wide, not just one page.

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #223 on: July 30, 2017, 01:16:35 am »
Hmm...  Update must have trashed my settings.  I do some web work here and there and set my browser not to cache.  Refreshing wasn't helping but dumping the cache, which wasn't supposed to be on, did work.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2017, 03:31:14 am »
You want to reveal what you think the cause of the problem was? Or not. ;)

Two things.

1) Microsoft (aka, Bing) hammering the search on the forum. Seems their crawler uses the search feature of the forum to look for keywords, which was causing quite high server load when the crawl started each time.

2) The podcast plugin for the forum

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #225 on: July 30, 2017, 03:57:29 am »
good grief

I do hope you found a way to make MS bugger off

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2017, 05:19:18 am »
good grief

I do hope you found a way to make MS bugger off

No, we need the indexing, blocking crawlers is generally not an option.

You want to reveal what you think the cause of the problem was? Or not. ;)

Two things.

1) Microsoft (aka, Bing) hammering the search on the forum. Seems their crawler uses the search feature of the forum to look for keywords, which was causing quite high server load when the crawl started each time.

2) The podcast plugin for the forum
So it was essentially transient high CPU behind the problem?

Pretty much, assuming it is fixed now. The podcast plugin that Dave was using tracks every view/hit/listen and where they came from, but instead of keeping a count of the totals it was doing a 'SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT col)' query over 6.2 million records. Each time Dave logged into the wordpress admin interface it would re-count them, causing a huge spike in database load.

SMF also does some strange stuff to search the forums, it creates a temporary table (Hash) that it uses to store the result set into for further sorting. Since this table never actually exists, I had never seen the effect it was having. To resolve this I installed the Sphinx full text search engine onto the server and configured SMF to use that instead, now the search can be hammered as much as Bing want's and it wont cause spikes in DB load.

Here is a small sample of what Bing is feeding the search box, such a dirty method of crawling.

[Sun Jul 30 03:16:42.090 2017] 0.073 sec 0.073 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] valet tray leather desk or dresser organizer by tech swiss
[Sun Jul 30 03:16:45.231 2017] 0.001 sec 0.001 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] valet tray leather desk or dresser organizer by
[Sun Jul 30 03:16:51.472 2017] 0.001 sec 0.001 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] valet tray leather desk or
[Sun Jul 30 03:16:54.275 2017] 0.000 sec 0.000 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] valet tray leather desk
[Sun Jul 30 03:16:57.432 2017] 0.000 sec 0.000 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] valet tray leather
[Sun Jul 30 03:17:08.289 2017] 0.024 sec 0.024 sec [ext2/1/ext 466 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] evolution
[Sun Jul 30 03:17:40.449 2017] 0.021 sec 0.021 sec [ext2/1/ext 218 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] 121
[Sun Jul 30 03:17:51.521 2017] 0.041 sec 0.041 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] stash tea flavor variety pack gift set 80 count bags with
[Sun Jul 30 03:17:56.119 2017] 0.001 sec 0.001 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] stash tea flavor variety pack gift set 80 count
[Sun Jul 30 03:17:59.322 2017] 0.001 sec 0.001 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] stash tea flavor variety pack gift set 80
[Sun Jul 30 03:18:05.293 2017] 0.000 sec 0.000 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] stash tea flavor variety pack gift
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 05:23:01 am by gnif »

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2017, 05:32:18 am »
Crawl?  That look more like a dictionary attack.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2017, 05:39:20 am »
you have got to be kidding

:o

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2017, 05:45:49 am »

Makes me wonder what would happen if I made it fudge the result set, could we pollute their DB with crap?

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2017, 06:34:59 am »
Makes me wonder what would happen if I made it fudge the result set, could we pollute their DB with crap?
M$ has been capable of manufacturing their own crap for quite a while now.  No external help needed.  But, let's put this in their database.  LINUX!

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2017, 07:51:46 am »

My guess - any such revenge will be short lived.  I would expect any DB pollution would be picked up and steps would be taken...

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: July 30, 2017, 08:12:16 am »
Pretty much, assuming it is fixed now. The podcast plugin that Dave was using tracks every view/hit/listen and where they came from, but instead of keeping a count of the totals it was doing a 'SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT col)' query over 6.2 million records. Each time Dave logged into the wordpress admin interface it would re-count them, causing a huge spike in database load.

SMF also does some strange stuff to search the forums, it creates a temporary table (Hash) that it uses to store the result set into for further sorting. Since this table never actually exists, I had never seen the effect it was having. To resolve this I installed the Sphinx full text search engine onto the server and configured SMF to use that instead, now the search can be hammered as much as Bing want's and it wont cause spikes in DB load.

Would  it be informative if you could correlate the bing searches and the times Dave logged in to the Wordpress admin interface? Maybe you already tried. If they match the times of the 502's, as well as if the install of the new podcast plugin coincided with the onset of the 502's you might feel fairly confident of the root cause. That last bit shouldn't be hard and if there is a coincidence you'll know it was all Dave's fault.  :)

It was a contributing factor, it was not the cause. This plugin has been in place since before I started helping Dave out, it has been a gradual slowdown as the tables grew.

But back to a more serious note those Bing searches surely would not have been a recent phenomenon. So whilst the Sphinx install may have been a nice thing to do it may have been unnecessary. Nice to have, but unnecessary.

I beg to differ, every time I managed over the last few days to be available during the 502 issue there was a backlog of temp table inserts for the search. Performing a search myself to evaluate the impact confirmed that the load of performing a single search was unacceptable. The sheer number of posts it is searching is huge and warranted the move to a full text search engine. SMF is good at building a keyword table, but since this is a technical forum there are tons of extra keywords in that table that a regular forum would not have, such as part numbers, model numbers, even every combination of N.Nk or N.Nkohm... the keyword table is enormous.

Note that implementing Sphinx was a last resort, I have been trying to avoid this up till now, but it has become obvious that it is required if this forum is to continue with it's "no deletion policy".

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2017, 08:30:13 am »
Here is a small sample of what Bing is feeding the search box, such a dirty method of crawling.

[Sun Jul 30 03:16:42.090 2017] 0.073 sec 0.073 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] valet tray leather desk or dresser organizer by tech swiss
[Sun Jul 30 03:16:45.231 2017] 0.001 sec 0.001 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] valet tray leather desk or dresser organizer by
[Sun Jul 30 03:16:51.472 2017] 0.001 sec 0.001 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] valet tray leather desk or
[Sun Jul 30 03:16:54.275 2017] 0.000 sec 0.000 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] valet tray leather desk
[Sun Jul 30 03:16:57.432 2017] 0.000 sec 0.000 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] valet tray leather
[Sun Jul 30 03:17:08.289 2017] 0.024 sec 0.024 sec [ext2/1/ext 466 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] evolution
[Sun Jul 30 03:17:40.449 2017] 0.021 sec 0.021 sec [ext2/1/ext 218 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] 121
[Sun Jul 30 03:17:51.521 2017] 0.041 sec 0.041 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] stash tea flavor variety pack gift set 80 count bags with
[Sun Jul 30 03:17:56.119 2017] 0.001 sec 0.001 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] stash tea flavor variety pack gift set 80 count
[Sun Jul 30 03:17:59.322 2017] 0.001 sec 0.001 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] stash tea flavor variety pack gift set 80
[Sun Jul 30 03:18:05.293 2017] 0.000 sec 0.000 sec [ext2/3/ext 0 (0,1000) @id_topic] [smf_index] stash tea flavor variety pack gift

Can anyone fathom why they search in this way? If one wants to index all posts and threads on the forum, systematically crawling the content herarchy still seems like the way to go. What do they expect to get from this forum search by trial-and-error?

In the example shown, it looks like they are searching for descriptions of consumer products. Is that the case for all such searches -- i.e. is this search somehow targeting ad-worthy content? I can't figure out what the benefit would be...

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2017, 10:18:17 am »
It's amazing that the forum he doesn't have issues with respect to the length of some forum threads. Overclock.net had to delete several threads due to the performance issues they had on overall performance.

Eventually the no delete mantra may have to change.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2017, 11:00:39 am »
Might have to split the forum into chunks if it grows too big, or archive posts older than XXX or which have had nothing posted for XXX months in a separate database.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #236 on: July 30, 2017, 11:03:22 am »
It's amazing that the forum he doesn't have issues with respect to the length of some forum threads. Overclock.net had to delete several threads due to the performance issues they had on overall performance.

Doesn't look like they use SMF like this forum, so would be entirely different code and database.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: July 30, 2017, 12:35:50 pm »

Hah! I challenge that :D... I am managing the RealGM forums where the same policy applies, its phpBB with over 35 million posts. Setup the hosting right, tune it right and it's amazing what you can accomplish when you know what you are doing. They were on the verge of deleting posts when they approached me.

The following users thanked this post: hermit

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2017, 03:34:39 pm »
I'm surprised SMF can't insert attachments in between paragraphs rather than all at the bottom. It would save BW use by not having to expand the attachments into full size pics within the text.

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #239 on: July 30, 2017, 03:39:12 pm »
Couldn't you just throttle Bing, by Bandwidth or queries per second ?
That way it can still index, but without putting too much load on the server.

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2017, 03:45:22 pm »
You can use one server just for the database ;-)

How is ping coming throw the captcha question?
If you are not logged in you need to answer a question.

Offline tronde

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2017, 04:37:27 pm »
Almost 24 hours since the last detected 502's :D... we might have this all sorted now :D. Anyone have any more 502's that a refresh wont fix, please report them here.

Got one about 30 mins ago. Not fixed by refresh. Had to wait a couple of minutes.

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #242 on: July 30, 2017, 04:44:21 pm »

Got one about 30 mins ago. Not fixed by refresh. Had to wait a couple of minutes.
I just had a one off.  It was a different page.  Said SMF couldn't connect to the database.  Reloaded the page and it disappeared.  No waiting.  Number of database connections problem maybe?  I use the 'new posts' link and middle click to open new tabs as I go down the list.

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #243 on: July 30, 2017, 06:12:33 pm »
On most other forums I see them splitting up mega threads into multiparts. There usually was a 1000 post limit per thread, or atleast they tried to work with that.

But those threads (e.g. the launch and discussion of a SmartPhone series or other computer gear) have very well maintained thread starts linking in models, different review videos, etc. and then also linking in the multi parts in the thread starts somewhere.

But I imagine that if the post table it self becomes too large (instead of the forum script querying which posts belong, in which order, to a specific large thread), then that also doesn't work.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #244 on: July 30, 2017, 08:10:44 pm »
There is a miscellaneous, catch-all thread on GearSlutz with 5646 posts and 557465 views so far from March, 2008:  "A thread for asking the things you should know by now but don't"

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/184297-thread-asking-things-you-should-know-now-but-dont.html

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #245 on: July 30, 2017, 08:19:54 pm »
There is a miscellaneous, catch-all thread on GearSlutz with 5646 posts and 557465 views so far from March, 2008:  "A thread for asking the things you should know by now but don't"

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/184297-thread-asking-things-you-should-know-now-but-dont.html

yeah the The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread is running at 7400 posts and grows daily,

but the most outrageous one I know of is the bitcointalk.org "wall observer" thread currently at over 347,000 posts.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:23:06 pm by WastelandTek »

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: July 30, 2017, 09:08:24 pm »

I just had a one off.  It was a different page.  Said SMF couldn't connect to the database.  Reloaded the page and it disappeared.  No waiting.  Number of database connections problem maybe?  I use the 'new posts' link and middle click to open new tabs as I go down the list.

Ok, that is great news! I can account for these ones now the noise of the other 502s are gone, they are caused by the backup process. cPanel creates a tar and mysql dump daily then compresses, because cPanel can't know if all the databases are using InnoDB tables only it locks tables to perform their backups. Also it lacks the ability to perform incremental database backups, so each backup loads things down pretty high each day.

I will talk to Dave about using an alternative solution that my company can provide that won't cause this high load each day and will also save on a ton of bandwidth.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #247 on: July 30, 2017, 10:04:25 pm »
Clicking on the Show unread posts since last visit. link causes a 502.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: July 30, 2017, 10:06:17 pm »
Clicking on the Show unread posts since last visit. link causes a 502.

That's the 2nd report of that, please clear your cache or force refresh. 502's don't affect a single page, they are site wide.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: July 30, 2017, 10:37:22 pm »
502's don't affect a single page, they are site wide.

Really, there's often only one thread or part of the site, such as the projects index page that we can't get to.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #250 on: July 30, 2017, 10:47:38 pm »

Really, there's often only one thread or part of the site, such as the projects index page that we can't get to.

Yes, 502 means that there is an internal server error where the PHP process is not availble for Nginx to communicate with. For those that don't understand the process, this is how an incoming HTTP request is served.

1) Your client establishes a connection with the server (Nginx)
2) Your client asks the server for a resource
3) The server determines if the resource is a static file (ie, image), or dynamic (php script in this instance).
4a) For static the webserver just grabs the file on disk and send's it out.
4b) For dynamic the webserver connects internally to the PHP service on the server and asks it to run the script

502 errors are when the webserver can't connect to a non busy PHP service... the cause can be any number of things, bad script, PHP crashed, MySQL didnt return in a timely manner and all the PHP processes are hung up waiting. etc...

It doesn't matter what page, it doesn't care at this point. It can happen on any page at any time. Unfortunately CF do strange things with caching the 502 error (this likely can be resolved but up till now I have not investigated this aspect of the issue yet).

Because tons of people use the 'show new replies' feature, when we get 502 errors it has a high probability of being cached at cloud flare as broken. CF starts dishing out the static 502 even after the issue has been resolved for that particular page, which is why a force refresh will resolve it as this instructs CloudFlare to go and fetch the content again anyway.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:49:12 pm by gnif »

The following users thanked this post: StillTrying, pknoe3lh

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #251 on: July 30, 2017, 11:13:39 pm »

A full 24 hours after "Show unread posts since last visit." started acting correctly " Show new replies to your posts." was still giving me a 502, even after multiple page reloads.  I had to dump my cache, which I though was turned off.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #252 on: July 30, 2017, 11:18:41 pm »

You can read and search this forum without an account. The search bot are not logging in.
I think I can disable the search feature to account holders only, but I don't like doing that.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #253 on: July 30, 2017, 11:27:37 pm »
The search bot are not logging in.
How does it get past the captcha you are asked to answer when not logged in? I thought the captcha was intended to stop bots.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #254 on: July 30, 2017, 11:38:02 pm »
You can read and search this forum without an account. The search bot are not logging in.
I think I can disable the search feature to account holders only, but I don't like doing that.

Generally speaking and just for the record, both members and guests are still able to use Google or similar search engines to find particular topics or threads, I have a tendency to use this rather than use the forums search feature which from my experience can be a bit hit and miss, I don't know why this is, example below.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #255 on: July 30, 2017, 11:49:08 pm »
I am updating the 502 error (still states that we are doing DB updates, lol)... I will also create a thread that it specifically links to for reporting errors.

Offline tronde

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #256 on: July 30, 2017, 11:54:25 pm »

What about a time limit between searches for guests? I have seen some forums using only a few seconds as a limit. After reading here, I guess that is related to bots.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #257 on: July 30, 2017, 11:56:46 pm »
I am updating the 502 error (still states that we are doing DB updates, lol)... I will also create a thread that it specifically links to for reporting errors.

This has been discussed before and I don't know why it was not implemented earlier, as you can see we end up with multiple threads discussing the same subject or new threads addressing individual users problems which are sometimes just a profile checkbox tick.   ::) :P

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: July 30, 2017, 11:57:42 pm »

What about a time limit between searches for guests? I have seen some forums using only a few seconds as a limit. After reading here, I guess that is related to bots.

Not sure why this is even being discussed... the problem is resolved, the server is able to handle a massive amount of search load now without any negative impact.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #259 on: July 30, 2017, 11:58:57 pm »

This has been discussed before and I don't know why it was not implemented earlier, as you can see we end up with multiple threads discussing the same subject or new threads addressing individual users problems which are sometimes just a profile checkbox tick.   ::) :P

The thread will not be for forum usage/profile issues, etc.. it is specifically for server outages. If you want a thread for that kind of support please ask Dave as I do not cover individual user issues, I do not have the time.

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #260 on: July 31, 2017, 07:47:51 am »

Yes I can do that ... But not a robot ;-)
So how can bing use the search box?
Can they solve captchas?

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: July 31, 2017, 07:52:56 am »

Yes I can do that ... But not a robot ;-)
Can they solve captchas?

Top right hand corner quick search doesn't require a captcha

Edit: For search engines... it is intentional so that they can index the site.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:54:57 am by gnif »

The following users thanked this post: pknoe3lh

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #262 on: August 01, 2017, 10:59:21 pm »
[

Why would you want to use a website that can't find anything (bing).  I have to use google to search the MSKB at work now because bing can't find articles that exist.

Offline pknoe3lh

• Regular Contributor
    • My Homepage
« Reply #263 on: August 02, 2017, 02:57:54 pm »
The forum Rocks again  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf