Author Topic: #562 – Electroboom!  (Read 109465 times)

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
Re: #562 – Electroboom!
« Reply #425 on: November 23, 2021, 02:25:10 am »
I guess this problem could be modeled and solved using a 3D EM-simulator/solver. Then we could say: Case closed.
Any 3D EM-simulator gurus here?
Simulators are a wonderful thing, but we should not neglect real-world observed data either.
Here I test ---

I am sorry to interrupt your victory lap, but... the same circuit you says it shows that KVL 'appears' to hold, is actually breaking it.

https://i.postimg.cc/9MW4fCCd/screenshot-23.png

Here is the detail.

https://i.postimg.cc/QCQnJQRG/screenshot-22.png

And in case you are trobled with the magical entrance of the voltage stargate, here is Lewin's ring itself, with voltmeters all around it, showing that KVL 'appears' to die. Horrible death, poor creature.

https://i.postimg.cc/9MRf0Msq/screenshot-24.png

https://i.postimg.cc/bw7CWFpc/screenshot-25.png

All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #426 on: November 23, 2021, 03:31:02 am »
Can you shed some light on when exactly the wire becomes a 'voltage source'? Do you believe, like Jesse Gordon, that the wires acquire this magical voltage when they cross the magic portal of the core, or are they always voltage sources? For examples, is a quarter turn wire (open, just a quarter turn) a voltage source when it is inside the hole of the toroidal core? Does it ceases to be a voltage source when it is in front of the toroidal core but does not pass through the hole in the donut?

Teach me.

I see you are still spreading BS.  Let me try to explain as simply as a I can what is going on with the ring.

In the problem I posted before replace the wires with the series connection of 178,  2 ohms resistors, half of them in the top, half of them in the bottom.  Also keep the two original resistors of 100 ohms and 900 ohms as before.  That is a total of 180 resistors in series.  The reason for 180 resistors is that the radius of this resistor ring matches very closely the radius of the original ring of 0.2m, if we use 1/4W resistors with a length of approximately 7mm.  The new ring should look somehow like the one in the first attached diagram.  The number of resistors shown in the drawing is smaller because it is very hard to draw a ring with 180 resistors; just remember that the top and bottom red/blue set of series resistors has 89 individual pieces each.  Keep the magnetic flux density the same as before:

\$B(t) = 0.7958 \cdot e^{\frac{{ - t}}{{0.1s}}} _{} T\$

Now find the voltages V1 and V2 at t=0.

Using the exact same calculation as shown before we find that the generated EMF is 1V.  Therefore, each resistor is generating an EMF due to the varying magnetic field of:

\$
EMF_{RESISTOR}  = \frac{{1V}}{{180}} = 5.55555...mV
\$

With that EMF per resistor and its resistance value, we can develop a Thevenin equivalent circuit for each resistor as shown in the second attached figure.  Since we are interested in the voltage across the 100 ohms  and 900 ohms resistors only, we can combine all the Thevenin equivalent circuits for the 2 ohms  resistors into a lumped Thevenin equivalent circuit for which VTH=0.9888V and RTH=356 ohms.  The Thevenin circuits are shown in the second attached figure.

The circuit we have to solve now is shown in the third figure.  As before use KVL to find the current:

\$
I = \frac{{EMF}}{{R_1  + R_2  + R_{LOOP} }} = \frac{{1V}}{{100\Omega  + 900\Omega  + 178*2\Omega }} = 0.73746mA
\$

With the current we find the voltages V1 and V2:

\$
V_1  =  - 0.73746mA \cdot 100\Omega  + 5.555mV =  - 0.06819V
\$
\$
V_2  = 0.73746mA \cdot 900\Omega  - 5.555mV = 0.6582V
\$

Can you see that the voltage across any of the smaller resistance resistors is the induced EMF minus the voltage drop in that resistor due to the actual current?  In this case is 5.555mV-(2 ohms x 0.73746mA)=4.081mV.

Now we can decrease the 2 ohms resistors to any smaller resistance we want and/or add as many resistors as we want to make the loop, and you'll see why we get a voltage across any two points in ring's wire.  Any piece of wire in the original circuit, under the varying magnetic field behaves as voltage source in series with a resistor. 

Homer: Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!
Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?
Homer: Yeah, but faster!

Offline Jesse Gordon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #427 on: November 23, 2021, 06:32:10 am »
I guess this problem could be modeled and solved using a 3D EM-simulator/solver. Then we could say: Case closed.
Any 3D EM-simulator gurus here?
Simulators are a wonderful thing, but we should not neglect real-world observed data either.
Here I test ---

I am sorry to interrupt your victory lap, but... the same circuit you says it shows that KVL 'appears' to hold, is actually breaking it.

https://i.postimg.cc/9MW4fCCd/screenshot-23.png

Dude, you full well know that KVL requires A MESH. But here you have let's see, what, two or three secondary windings forming 3 different intertwined loops each with their own voltage source?

You've got FOUR wires coming out of that element! KVL requires exactly two terminals per element.

KVL is not failing you, you are failing KVL.

As I said before, when you run your volt meter leads through the transformer core, you're adding more active loops, more undocumented voltage sources.
And you're trying to measure the transformer's OUTPUT from INSIDE, which doesn't work because you're basically creating another secondary, and trying to measure the voltage across the one secondary minus the voltage across another identical secondary. Doh!

If you were to treat the transformer as a 2 terminal element as KVL requires, then you would measure it's voltage across it's terminals and all the sudden KVL would hold.

See here: OF COURSE if you measure the difference between two identical voltages the difference will be zero:

https://i.postimg.cc/LX6wZVFJ/20211121-235058.jpg

Doesn't mean that the induced EMF is zero though.

Here is the detail.

https://i.postimg.cc/QCQnJQRG/screenshot-22.png
Again, you are trying to measure the transformers OUTPUT from WITHIN the transformer.

You're still comparing the voltage difference between one winding to another identical winding.

To measure the induced EMF, you need to measure around dB/dt, not outside of it.

You're all confused by the fact that some configurations make it difficult to measure induced EMF and so you think that it does not exist just because YOU don't know how to measure it.

But this is easy, all you gotta do is pick two points to be the transformer's terminals and measure across those FROM OUTSIDE the transformer, lest you create more undocumented turns.

And in case you are trobled with the magical entrance of the voltage stargate, here is Lewin's ring itself, with voltmeters all around it, showing that KVL 'appears' to die. Horrible death, poor creature.

https://i.postimg.cc/9MRf0Msq/screenshot-24.png

And here again, you're adding a bunch more secondary turns and additional loops, which again, which is not what KVL even claims to cover.
You draw volt meters, but in REALITY, their leads are actually secondary turns on the transformer, and they form their own loops with their own induced voltages which (in the case of an infinitely long solenoid) would be equal in voltage to the section of loop you purport to be measuring, so again, you're trying to measure for a difference between parallel winding with the same number of turns.

If you probe correctly, you will find that whatever point you probe to becomes a transformer terminal or tap terminal, and that whatever subsection you've put your probes on still works just fine as 2 terminal element for KVL, as seen in my Lewin Clock video.

And, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you meant to describe an infinitely long toroid, because if it's not infinitely long, none of your volt meters will read zero, as seen in my video on that topic.

https://i.postimg.cc/bw7CWFpc/screenshot-25.png

And Dr. McDonald was utterly clear that Lewin's loop was within the scope of applicability of Kirchhoff's Voltage Equations.
Dr. McDonald also said that Lewin used DIVERSION and an outdated "law" to create an apparent paradox.

Dr. Belcher started out with a heartfelt expression of gratitude to Mehdi, and not ONE WORD about Lewin.
Dr. Belcher also quotes Feynman and says that because the ∮E.dl of the windings will have a voltage differential which, when algebraically summed with the voltages across the resistors, will equal zero, and that KVL thus holds as Mehdi argued.

I know you ignore the fact that Dr. McDonald out right stated that Lewin's loop was within the range of applicability of KVL.

I also know that you argue that Dr. Belcher was only agreeing with one small undisputed part of Mehdi's claim, but that does not seem to be the case:
It might help you if Belcher also stated that he agreed with Lewin on some point. But he didn't even mention him.
It might help you if Belcher also stated that he disagreed with Mehdi on some point. But I sure didn't notice that either.

And the very reason that Dr. Belcher gave for agreeing with Mehdi was that Dr. Feynman defines the voltage across an inductor as ∮E.dl, and since all of Mehdi's arguments were based on the induced voltage due to Faraday's law, it looks to me like Belcher was entirely agreeing with Mehdi.

Belcher doesn't get behind Lewin's controversial claim at all, and quite clearly wraps up with what can easily be taken as a very broad stamp of agreement with Mehdi.

And lacking mention of Lewin, that can easily be taken as a broad lack of agreement with Lewin.

But why do you refuse to answer my simple question?

Look: At this point, I'm not asking you to agree to anything that goes on INSIDE a transformer. I'm not asking you to agree to anything relating to how it may be difficult to measure the induced EMF across a partial turn for some transformer core types.

I'm simply asking you to agree that KVL holds as measured by a volt meter if the transformer secondary is simply considered  a two terminal element, with the two terminals being the two ends of the secondary winding where they protrude from the core, as depicted in the below diagram.

Does KVL hold in the following test,where we consider the transformer secondary to be a two-terminal element, with the two terminals being the TWO ends of the secondary winding which protrude from the core?

https://i.postimg.cc/1tNL2Mmn/20211122-214739.jpg

Once we agree that KVL holds in the above diagram as lumped, then we can get onto your actual argument whatever the tarzan that is.

You do seem quite interested in measuring transformers from the inside, although that may just be a diversion.

Frankly, I expected you to say months ago "Dude it's not about what you do with the wires OUTSIDE the transformer, it's what goes on inside."

But you've been so scared to even agree to the diagram directly above, so I don't know what your issue is.

So how about it? Do you agree that KVL holds in the scenario depicted in the diagram directly above? Or at least holds as measured by a volt meter?

Offline Jesse Gordon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #428 on: November 23, 2021, 07:13:17 am »
Does anybody really know what we're actually arguing about here?

I Think we all agree that a transformer's output winding works fine (or at least measures fine) as an element in a mesh which works with KVL.

That is to say, I don't think anybody is saying that a transformer output cannot be an element in a KVL mesh.

And yet, getting clarification on that is nearly impossible. Nobody wants to exactly confirm nor deny that. And why no? I don't know.

If it's not about a transformer secondary winding's acceptability as an element in a KVL mesh, what then?

Many of the examples given for "KVL failing" are not meshes, but rather multiple nested loops with multiple voltage sources and sinks, and various parts are being cherry picked to give the appearance of KVL failing.  Of course KVL doesn't appear to work with any circuit if you are modeling one thing and measuring a functionally different topology.

Then there is talk about there being no electric field along a wire. But we're not talking about an electric field near the surface of the wire, we're talking about the voltage difference between winding ends (or in some cases center taps or other part-way-taps) of a transformer winding -- actual electrical connections to the winding, either at the ends, or at some points between the ends.

The fact is, when we measure the voltage across the ends of a secondary winding, we measure a voltage. If we have a center tap, we can measure voltage there too.
And if we place our super sharp probe at any point along the winding, it forms an instant electrically connected tap that works just like a manufacturer produced tap, and again, we measure the voltage that we would expect.

Or are we arguing about whether certain transformer types can be probed accurately? Does a difficulty in probing mean there is no voltage there to be measured?

What's odd is that this is not the first conversation I've had about this. Since uploading my Lewin Clock video, I have had some exceedingly long discussions about it, quite probably with people who were more educated than any of us here, but the story was the same - a strong hesitance to answer actual real life questions. I also asked them like "What is it exactly, are we just using different definitions for something and we don't know it?" But they could not explain what we were arguing about either.

There were many many things they could not answer. That's why I ended up making my Lewin Clock and Iron Core videos - because people told me things would be a certain way and I didn't believe them, so I tested, and I was right and they were wrong, so I made a video to show them.

It seems as soon as I try to zero in on one issue, the other guy switches to another. As soon as I try to zero in on the new topic, again, he switches to yet another. It's like a 3 ring circuits.

But there is ONE thing that these people do know, without a shadow of a doubt:

In the words of Silicon Soup, "OF COURSE LEWIN IS RIGHT!"

Is that what this is all about?

What is it we're ACTUALLY arguing about? Why are the Lewinites so unwilling to admit to the observable facts so that we can then concentrate on the more difficult parts of the issue?

EDIT/PS: And I often wonder if the issue comes down to the difference in meaning of -∫E.dl and ∮E.dl.   Are we all just falling for the "Common misconception" that Dr. Belcher talked about in assuming that ∮E.dl=0, or that the -L(dI/dt) voltage read by the voltmeter represents a -∫E.dl through the inductor?  But alas, this has been brought up, and that seems not to help either.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 07:21:07 am by Jesse Gordon »

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #429 on: November 23, 2021, 03:19:32 pm »

I Think we all agree that a transformer's output winding works fine (or at least measures fine) as an element in a mesh which works with KVL.

That is to say, I don't think anybody is saying that a transformer output cannot be an element in a KVL mesh.

And yet, getting clarification on that is nearly impossible. Nobody wants to exactly confirm nor deny that. And why no? I don't know.

If it's not about a transformer secondary winding's acceptability as an element in a KVL mesh, what then?

Many of the examples given for "KVL failing" are not meshes, but rather multiple nested loops with multiple voltage sources and sinks, and various parts are being cherry picked to give the appearance of KVL failing.  Of course KVL doesn't appear to work with any circuit if you are modeling one thing and measuring a functionally different topology.

Then there is talk about there being no electric field along a wire. But we're not talking about an electric field near the surface of the wire, we're talking about the voltage difference between winding ends (or in some cases center taps or other part-way-taps) of a transformer winding -- actual electrical connections to the winding, either at the ends, or at some points between the ends.

The fact is, when we measure the voltage across the ends of a secondary winding, we measure a voltage. If we have a center tap, we can measure voltage there too.
And if we place our super sharp probe at any point along the winding, it forms an instant electrically connected tap that works just like a manufacturer produced tap, and again, we measure the voltage that we would expect.

Or are we arguing about whether certain transformer types can be probed accurately? Does a difficulty in probing mean there is no voltage there to be measured?

What's odd is that this is not the first conversation I've had about this. Since uploading my Lewin Clock video, I have had some exceedingly long discussions about it, quite probably with people who were more educated than any of us here, but the story was the same - a strong hesitance to answer actual real life questions. I also asked them like "What is it exactly, are we just using different definitions for something and we don't know it?" But they could not explain what we were arguing about either.

There were many many things they could not answer. That's why I ended up making my Lewin Clock and Iron Core videos - because people told me things would be a certain way and I didn't believe them, so I tested, and I was right and they were wrong, so I made a video to show them.

It seems as soon as I try to zero in on one issue, the other guy switches to another. As soon as I try to zero in on the new topic, again, he switches to yet another. It's like a 3 ring circuits.

But there is ONE thing that these people do know, without a shadow of a doubt:

In the words of Silicon Soup, "OF COURSE LEWIN IS RIGHT!"

Is that what this is all about?

What is it we're ACTUALLY arguing about? Why are the Lewinites so unwilling to admit to the observable facts so that we can then concentrate on the more difficult parts of the issue?

EDIT/PS: And I often wonder if the issue comes down to the difference in meaning of -∫E.dl and ∮E.dl.   Are we all just falling for the "Common misconception" that Dr. Belcher talked about in assuming that ∮E.dl=0, or that the -L(dI/dt) voltage read by the voltmeter represents a -∫E.dl through the inductor?  But alas, this has been brought up, and that seems not to help either.

I think it boils down to the assertion: "KVL doesn't hold in non-conservative fields".  Maybe that was the case in the early to middle 1800s when people had no idea of what was going on and KVL was applied to what people thought were resistive circuits only.  After the contributions of Faraday, Maxwell, and many others they found out that yes, KVL holds in non-conservative fields, but now you have to add to your circuits inductors, capacitors, transformers, transmission lines, non-linear semiconductors models, etc. etc. not just resistors.  And pay attention on how the fields of one element in the circuit affects other elements!  KVL got a lot more complicated, with differential equations everywhere!  It was so bad at some point, that in the early 1900 Charles Proteus Steinmetz (an absolute legend in Electrical Engineering), promoted the use of phasor analysis to avoid the differential equations at least in AC circuits.  Many other techniques were developed ever since to solve these very complicated circuits, which are commonly taught in the electrical/electronics higher education programs.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 03:50:28 pm by jesuscf »
Homer: Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #430 on: November 23, 2021, 05:39:25 pm »
I think it boils down to the assertion: "KVL doesn't hold in non-conservative fields".  Maybe that was the case in the early to middle 1800s

No, it all boils down to certain people being unable to understand what they read, and being incapable of assimilating new concepts that go beyond their limited knowledge. Like trying to explain the orbit of planets with epicycloids: it works numerically, but it betrays a fundamental ignorance of the actual physical phenomena behind the motion.

Now, I have to check with the kitchen, but I am pretty sure I have deja-vus:

We already had this discussion on how those pages from Hayt are about the "amended" or "extended" or "new" KVL. Haven't we? Three years have passed, and you still have to understand that it's a couple of centuries we know we can apply a 'modified' version of KVL to circuits with inductors and other magnetic components. The trick is to hide the magnetic flux inside the component SO THAT THE CIRCUIT PATH CAN  SKIP ITS INNARDS AND WE AVOID TO HAVE VARIABLE FLUX LINKED BY OUR CIRCUIT PATH.

You really, really, really CAN NOT UNDERSTAND this simple concept.
Yoo probably lack basic vector algebra skill, maybe you were ill when they explained why you can define a potential function when a vector field is conservative, or like Stoke's theorem it is just beyond you, I can't tell. But you ignore basic math and basic physics - and now you are desperately twisting your epicycloids to explain the retrograde motion of Mars. If you only could understand Newton's theory of gravitation...

You call "BS" the standard theory of classical electrodynamics because you did not study it well enough to understand that your 'tiny batteries in series' model is not a model of the complete system, but just of the mathematical portion that is conservative. Look at the "Map of the Ring Quest" picture I've posted yesterday: do you recognize your model in the rhs?
After I have scanned a few images, I will make a dedicated post  to explain what you have done, how you can see it by manipulating the integral vector equations, and why that model is not a model of your system but only of a part of it.

Here's what my crystal ball forecasts:
You will cursorily read it. You will not understand it. And three years from now, you will still be unable to tell the difference between lumped circuits (to which you can apply 'extended KVL' like Hayt and Ulaby show) and unlumpable circuits (for which not even the 'extended' version of KVL works BECAUSE THE ********** CHANGING FLUX IS LINKED BY YOUR ******* CIRCUIT PATH)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 05:41:19 pm by Sredni »

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #431 on: November 23, 2021, 07:18:07 pm »
I think it boils down to the assertion: "KVL doesn't hold in non-conservative fields".  Maybe that was the case in the early to middle 1800s

No, it all boils down to certain people being unable to understand what they read, and being incapable of assimilating new concepts that go beyond their limited knowledge. Like trying to explain the orbit of planets with epicycloids: it works numerically, but it betrays a fundamental ignorance of the actual physical phenomena behind the motion.

We already had this discussion on how those pages from Hayt are about the "amended" or "extended" or "new" KVL. Haven't we? Three years have passed, and you still have to understand that it's a couple of centuries we know we can apply a 'modified' version of KVL to circuits with inductors and other magnetic components. The trick is to hide the magnetic flux inside the component SO THAT THE CIRCUIT PATH CAN  SKIP ITS INNARDS AND WE AVOID TO HAVE VARIABLE FLUX LINKED BY OUR CIRCUIT PATH.

Yoo probably lack basic vector algebra skill, maybe you were ill when they explained why you can define a potential function when a vector field is conservative, or like Stoke's theorem it is just beyond you, I can't tell. But you ignore basic math and basic physics - and now you are desperately twisting your epicycloids to explain the retrograde motion of Mars. If you only could understand Newton's theory of gravitation...

You call "BS" the standard theory of classical electrodynamics because you did not study it well enough to understand that your 'tiny batteries in series' model is not a model of the complete system, but just of the mathematical portion that is conservative. Look at the "Map of the Ring Quest" picture I've posted yesterday: do you recognize your model in the rhs?
After I have scanned a few images, I will make a dedicated post  to explain what you have done, how you can see it by manipulating the integral vector equations, and why that model is not a model of your system but only of a part of it.

You will cursorily read it. You will not understand it. And three years from now, you will still be unable to tell the difference between lumped circuits (to which you can apply 'extended KVL' like Hayt and Ulaby show) and unlumpable circuits (for which not even the 'extended' version of KVL works BECAUSE THE ********** CHANGING FLUX IS LINKED BY YOUR ******* CIRCUIT PATH)

Sure why not.  Now hurry up, You better go tell the whole electric power industry that they have been analyzing circuits under the effects of magnetic fields incorrectly for the last 160 years!!!

Offline Jesse Gordon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #432 on: November 23, 2021, 07:42:18 pm »

Ahh yes you three guys and your crystalballs! What gives? I have a pair of 200mm crystalballs, some 100's and some 80's, and they don't work near as good as yours!
Maybe they work better depending on who's operating them?

https://i.postimg.cc/5NsPHxQ4/3Gypsies.jpg
Above: The 3 gypsies. Last bastion of truth.

Wait, so are you admitting that the current version of KVL does work for these cases? Dude, why didn't you tell me that a year ago?

By the way, you admitted that the voltages on V1 and V2 on the below diagram will be the same:

https://i.postimg.cc/fTgyDNp0/20211119-030105.jpg

And you also admitted that V2 above would work in a KVL loop, but you claimed that V1 above would not hold in a KVL loop.

And then you absolutely refused to tell me how it is possible that V2 can hold, but V1 won't hold, even though they have the EXACT SAME VOLTAGE on the terminals of the transformer secondary.

You act like bringing the wires of V1 near eachother somehow makes it from unlumpable to lumped, even though there is absolutely ZERO real affect on the operation of the circuit or any of the measurements.

So is it some technicality that you can't put into WORDS?

Why would two electrically IDENTICAL circuits which measure the EXACT SAME voltages in all places be such that one fails KVL and the other doesn't, even though the voltages still sum to zero, just because the physical position of a wire is changed without changing any voltages anywhere?

Offline Jesse Gordon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #433 on: November 23, 2021, 09:11:09 pm »

I think it boils down to the assertion: "KVL doesn't hold in non-conservative fields".

I can understand why we all could have a complex and fascinating discussion about the conservatism (or lack thereof) regarding the short-open-ended-air-core transformer I used in my Lewin Clock, because it does create a nice large non-conservative field where a slight change in the path along most planes does create a slight change in the measured voltage across two points.

I would expect the Lewinites to disagree with me on whether that can be correctly probed because they do not realize that there are planes within that field that are conservative, thus allowing probing to take place. I have in mind making another video where I would take a 6" diameter loop of wire and cover it with small toroids, allowing me to have the magnetic field confined but still measure voltage at points along the single turn, without having my volt meter leads in a non-conservative field. Or maybe I'll just submerge it in ferrofluid or magnetite powder.

But I digress.

What I don't understand from the Lewinites is their problem with closed-magnetic-circuit-core transformers, like this:

https://i.postimg.cc/fTgyDNp0/20211119-030105.jpg

The non-conservative field is now confined to within the solid cross sectional area of the core material itself, which is exclusive to the winding wires.

There is no longer a field that produces a slight change in voltage due to a slight change in path, because the electrical wires and the transformer core material are exclusive of eachother's space because they are both solids, so the wire cannot move into that region of a non-conservative field.

We can change the voltage in one turn steps, but this is very different than a field where a slight change in path causes a slight change in voltage - it's all or nothing. It's more of a logical binary field, or a quantized field, but even then it still really bends out of shape the idea of the word "field" because we are missing the very heart of the idea of a field - a gradient along which any infinite number of values can be found based on the position in that field: There is no longer an infinite number of unique positions and values, and it's not dependent so much of where the path is, but how many times the path circles a certain area.

So yes, there is a non-conservative field, but it is clearly confined cleanly inside the core, and thus, where the wires are running, there is no non-conservative field, and the wires cannot get into the conservative field because they are also a solid.

Sure, adding or removing turns on the transformer changes the voltage, but that's a path inside the transformer, I don't see what that has to do with the voltage on the transformer terminals.

Silicon Soup modeled the forward and reverse E-Field along the wire, but does KVL care about the e-fields along the wire inside the transformer? It cares only of the voltage across the terminals, just like it doesn't care about the chemicals inside a battery or the carbon inside a resistor or if I may succinctly say the strictly solid silicon soup inside a soldered solar cell.

But, OF COURSE LEWIN IS RIGHT. That's a given. Don't dare question that!

So then, are the Lewinites bent ouf of shape because they fear the wire might actually merge into the core material, thus entering that non-conservative field, and thus changing the readings, and thus making KVL fail?

Or are they basically in agreement that KVL would appear to hold fine as measured with volt meters, but because of a technicality, it's not actually holding due to the IEC definition of "Voltage" not accounting for Faraday's law?

The most frustrating thing is they don't even seem to know what they are arguing for or against, so long as Lewin is Right.

And I guess that explains why they can't solve simple engineering problems and why they refuse to answer simple questions or really commit to anything: They know that if they reveal what they (don't) know, their argument will have nothing left.

EDIT/PS: I guess calling the secondary winding on a transformer above a non-conservative field is like calling a battery pack a non-conservative field, because you can change the series-parallel configuration of the cells in the battery pack and thus change the voltage by changing the path inside the battery pack, so it's a non-conservative field, and can't be used with KVL. :-DD
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 09:23:55 pm by Jesse Gordon »

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #434 on: November 23, 2021, 09:21:27 pm »
You know, it's funny that you keep asking the same question, after I already gave you the answer. Like jesuscf that keeps reverting back to the 5 + 3 + 0 = 8  vs 5 + 3 - 8 = 0 dichotomy for lumpable circuits (that can be treated as lumped or unlumped, depending on what circuit path we choose), and completely disregarding the unlumpable circuits it cannot be applied to.

Guys...
IT'S A SAILBOAT!

Focus.
Once you see it, you can't unsee it. That's why you see a lot of KVLers turn to Faradians, but never a Faradian turn KVLer.

You know, one of the reasons I keep pushing these concepts to KVLers is that I wanted to see if I am able to break down this 'unituitive' concept in so elementary little pieces that even a bag of nails could understand it.
I have a bag of nails in my basement but it's deceptively irresponsive. People like you, on the other hand, answer the age old question: "what if a bag of nails could post messages on the Internet?" and serve my purpose just right.

You are being too much repetitive, though. Have patience, and I will repeat the answers to the questions you believe I have not answered again. Since you are jumping and yapping with that circuit, I will postpone Jesuscf explanation of his 'tiny little batteries' model after my forthcoming post on "Lumpable (lumped and unlumped) and unlumpable circuits for Dummies".

Then I will make a post where I collect a selection of the misconceptions you keep writing in your long replies. Just to show you are making up rules that are in your head only.

Then I will post the detailed solution of the Lewin ring with an added battery, to show that all EMFs that are not from EM induction appears in the path integral on the left, and there is no place to fit the EMF on the rhs in the path integral of the total electric field E. You can still do some math manipulation and bring the quantity to the left, but this will leave you with the path integral of the conservative part of the electric field.

And this will take us to the tiny batteries model proposed by jesuscf (and basically what appears in RSD Academy videos  - almost all seven of them, most are hidden now) and why it does not model the entire physical system, but only a part of it.

I also intend to show you what you are measuring with your Lewin Clock. I already wrote that in a reply to jesuscf but I feel you need pictures with vivid colors.

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #435 on: November 23, 2021, 09:37:33 pm »
Once you see it, you can't unsee it. That's why you see a lot of KVLers turn to Faradians, but never a Faradian turn KVLer.

Suuure!  In the attached figure is the definition of KVL from the book Electromagnetics by Branislav M. Notaros.  Go argue with the author of that book too!!!  By the way, why did you use the very same definition of KVL to solve the problem I proposed before?

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #436 on: November 23, 2021, 09:56:32 pm »

Suuure!  In the attached figure is the definition of KVL from the book Electromagnetics by Branislav M. Notaros.  Go argue with the author of that book too!!!  By the way, why did you use the very same definition of KVL to solve the problem I proposed before?

You still do not understand, do you?
Well, I don't have that book, but my take is that the author is talking about lumped circuits.
For lumped circuits the circulation of E is zero. Then you can break up the integral into the 'passive' and 'active' parts, the rhs still being zero. Now, by the sheer power of mathematics you can put the parts of the circulation integral corresponding to the passive portions on the left (or the right, if you wish) and the parts of the circulation integral corresponding to the active portions on the right (or the left, if you wish).

All these parts are PART OF THE ONE AND ONLY CIRCULATION OF THE TOTAL ELECTRIC FIELD.

When you have electromagnetic induction, if your circuit is lumpable you can choose

1- to not lump it
then your circuit path goes through the component and your circuit path encloses the magnetic region.
You have to apply faraday and end up with A COMPLETE CIRCULATION PATH INTEGRAL ON THE LEFT, and A SURFACE INTEGRAL ON THE RIGHT.

2- to lump it
you change the circuit path for your circuit: yuo no longer pass throught the component, but JUMP AT THE TERMINALS. Now your new circuit path (for the same physical circuit) skips the magnetic region that can be hidden inside the component. You access the component through the terminals, that's the part of the circulation path that JUMPS from one terminal to the other. So, now the effect of your lumped component is ACCOUNTED FOR IN THE PATH INTEGRAL ON THE LEFT.

And these two methods work for lumpABLE circuit that can be considered at will either lumpED or NOT lumped.

But when you deal with circuits whose circuit path IS REQUIRED TO CONTAIN THE MAGNETIC REGION IN ITS INTERIOR you no longer can afford the luxury of lumping it and treat it as a lumped circuit.
NO MORE KVL.
ONLY FARADAY.

I will make a post "Lumpable (lumped and not lumped) and unlumpable circuits for Dummies"
And I forecast you will still not understand it.

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #437 on: November 23, 2021, 10:49:13 pm »

You still do not understand, do you?
Well, I don't have that book, but my take is that the author is talking about lumped circuits.
For lumped circuits the circulation of E is zero. Then you can break up the integral into the 'passive' and 'active' parts, the rhs still being zero. Now, by the sheer power of mathematics you can put the parts of the circulation integral corresponding to the passive portions on the left (or the right, if you wish) and the parts of the circulation integral corresponding to the active portions on the right (or the left, if you wish).

All these parts are PART OF THE ONE AND ONLY CIRCULATION OF THE TOTAL ELECTRIC FIELD.

When you have electromagnetic induction, if your circuit is lumpable you can choose

1- to not lump it
then your circuit path goes through the component and your circuit path encloses the magnetic region.
You have to apply faraday and end up with A COMPLETE CIRCULATION PATH INTEGRAL ON THE LEFT, and A SURFACE INTEGRAL ON THE RIGHT.

2- to lump it
you change the circuit path for your circuit: yuo no longer pass throught the component, but JUMP AT THE TERMINALS. Now your new circuit path (for the same physical circuit) skips the magnetic region that can be hidden inside the component. You access the component through the terminals, that's the part of the circulation path that JUMPS from one terminal to the other. So, now the effect of your lumped component is ACCOUNTED FOR IN THE PATH INTEGRAL ON THE LEFT.

And these two methods work for lumpABLE circuit that can be considered at will either lumpED or NOT lumped.

But when you deal with circuits whose circuit path IS REQUIRED TO CONTAIN THE MAGNETIC REGION IN ITS INTERIOR you no longer can afford the luxury of lumping it and treat it as a lumped circuit.
NO MORE KVL.
ONLY FARADAY.

I will make a post "Lumpable (lumped and not lumped) and unlumpable circuits for Dummies"

I'll tell you a little secret, but only if you promise to tell everybody:  if you make the 'lumps' small enough, any circuit is lumpable!

Offline bsfeechannelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #438 on: November 23, 2021, 10:49:59 pm »

Do you really think that by now these guys haven't already figured out that their rhetoric is pointless? They know darn well that Lewin is right, Mehdi is wrong, KVL doesn't hold under a varying magnetic field, static wires are just low ohm resistors that can't generate voltages, you can measure two different voltages across the same two points in a circuit, etc., etc., etc.

So, if they are not intellectually impaired, why do they keep producing assertions that deny the evidence and reject facts and logic? Even when repeatedly debunked left and right?

As I said in an early post, stupidity is a moral issue. Even when you give them the answer they expect, they'll say you're wrong. This is because they determined arbitrarily that you're wrong. No matter what.

Although discussing with them may sometimes produce an interesting socratic-like dialog, it also may give the occasional reader the impression that their questioning is legitimate.

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #439 on: November 24, 2021, 12:01:32 am »

Do you really think that by now these guys haven't already figured out that their rhetoric is pointless? They know darn well that Lewin is right, Mehdi is wrong, KVL doesn't hold under a varying magnetic field, static wires are just low ohm resistors that can't generate voltages, you can measure two different voltages across the same two points in a circuit, etc., etc., etc.

So, if they are not intellectually impaired, why do they keep producing assertions that deny the evidence and reject facts and logic? Even when repeatedly debunked left and right?

As I said in an early post, stupidity is a moral issue. Even when you give them the answer they expect, they'll say you're wrong. This is because they determined arbitrarily that you're wrong. No matter what.

Although discussing with them may sometimes produce an interesting socratic-like dialog, it also may give the occasional reader the impression that their questioning is legitimate.

You have nothing else but to resort to the "Moral High Ground Fallacy".  On the other hand, the KVL side has provided theoretical results and experimental results that perfectly agree with each other.  What have you provide?  Just a big pile of steaming BS.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #440 on: November 24, 2021, 05:00:20 pm »
You have nothing else but to resort to the "Moral High Ground Fallacy".  On the other hand, the KVL side has provided theoretical results and experimental results that perfectly agree with each other.  What have you provide?  Just a big pile of steaming BS.

If both your theory and experiments depend on each other, that'll do you no good.

Because the experimental data presented here was obtained by more or less blindly poking around circuits with a volt meter, and without any understanding of what is actually going on. So the measurements taken do not support in any form the claim that "KVL holds".

I didn't subtract, I measured.

[...]

I didn't make up any framework. I just used my volt meter, resistors, and transformers to find out what observable reality is.

[...]

My level-1 "framework" is what I observe. Above that I do my best to understand what's going on at a theoretical level. Maxwell, Faraday, and Kirchhoff described it elegantly. I have no problem with any of them.

So, what Jesse does is poking around a circuit with a volt meter without having an idea what it's going to show, and as he sees the measurements he makes up some explanations but doesn't validate them against established science.

In fact he doesn't understand Maxwell-Faraday beyond the level of "volts per turn" and especially doesn't understand that the equation describes a relation between the magnetic flux in the core and an (rotational, non-conservative) electric field around the core that is extending to infinity, this being the reason why there cannot be an "inside" or "outside" of a transformer as he understands it. He doesn't realize it is this electric field that is separating charges in a path of conductor and causing "voltage" and that one needs to consider paths through this electric field to see if a loop of wire is a "transformer secondary" or not. Thus all the conclusions he derives from his observation are worthless.

Allow me to elaborate. Below picture shows the problem I gave Jesse to evaluate. It is a toroidal core with "1V of EMF per turn". A ring of resistors is around the core. One has double the value of the other. Volt meters are connected as shown and all numbers were provided by him. I have only added one additional volt meter showing "2/3V" to demonstrate my point. I've tried visualizing the electric field component with green arrows. RED loops are "hot", voltage is induced (1V). BLUE loops are "cold", no voltage is induced. I took over Jesses notation of a "signed voltage" which here means "phase", because obviously this is all AC and there is no "sign" on a RMS volt meter. But I guess he measured with an oscilloscope and found that the voltage is "inverted" in relation to the voltage across the other resistor.

Now, to see why the blue loops are indeed cold one needs to know a tiny bit of vector calculus, or just accept the fact that all electric field components along any of the blue loops sum up to zero, in other words:
$${\oint{\mathrm{E}\;\mathrm{d}l} = 0}$$
That looks familiar.

With this in mind it should be easily visible why the red loops are "hot", because the electric field components do not sum up to zero:
$$\oint{\mathrm{E}\;\mathrm{d}l} = -\frac{\mathrm{d}B}{\mathrm{d}t},\; (\mathrm{= EMF = 1V})$$
This should also look familiar.

This tells us that in the blue loops there is no contribution from the magnetic flux in the transformer core and the volt meters in any of them display only what results from the electric currents flowing. That explains why we have 1/3V, 0V, 0V and 2/3V, Ohm's Law lets us expect that. They also sum up to the EMF of 1V which we should expect to find according to Mr. Faraday. These blue loops are those where KVL holds.

Now lets walk through both red loops clockwise. In the R+2R loop the path is with the curl of the electric field, in the 2R loop the path is against the curl, so lets just say we expect an EMF of "-1V" along this path and run with that simplification. We know that the electric field across 2R is 2/3V (measured along a "cold" path) and the EMF is "-1V" and when we sum that up we get to the "-1/3V" that Jesse's magic phase-aware volt meter was showing. Note that I am sticking with Jesse's frame of reference on purpose to explain what he "measures", being fully conscious that it is not a full analogy.

This analysis explains all the measurements without making anyone unhappy except Mr. Kirchhoff, but we can easily accept that, given that the more fundamental laws by Mr. Ohm and Mr. Faraday are satisfied. Jesse's claim that "KVL holds" because all the voltages "sum up to 0" is without basis because of a faulty interpretation of the results obtained.

Now the big question is of course, can KVL be somehow made to work in this arrangement, and for that we need to find an equivalent circuit with lumped elements. That will prove to be difficult, because one cannot find a place where to stick a lumped transformer winding or voltage source and still satisfy all the measurements taken in the various places. We can obviously not put it in the wires between the resistors, because we measure 0V across them. It can also not be in "R" and/or in "2R". If we put a 2/3V source "inside" 2R, that would violate the "-1/3V" reading on the rightmost volt meter.

So, where is it? Apparently it is there, but we cannot pinpoint it and measurements between two identical points show different results depending on how we instrument the circuit (1/3V, 2/3V, -1/3V). For circuit theory and KVL this is a nightmare. That's why there are "equivalent circuits" e.g. for transformers which try to model physics with lumped elements full of imaginary numbers and "magic items" like ideal transformers because they relieve engineers of having to think about physics. And to make KVL work. But now and then, when Sir James Clerk Maxwell makes an appearance, everyone is baffled why their circuits don't work.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 05:11:32 pm by thinkfat »
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Jesse Gordon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #441 on: November 24, 2021, 07:02:47 pm »
You know, it's funny that you keep asking the same question, after I already gave you the answer. Like jesuscf that keeps reverting back to the 5 + 3 + 0 = 8  vs 5 + 3 - 8 = 0 dichotomy for lumpable circuits (that can be treated as lumped or unlumped, depending on what circuit path we choose), and completely disregarding the unlumpable circuits it cannot be applied to.

Guys...
IT'S A SAILBOAT!

Then I will make a post where I collect a selection of the misconceptions you keep writing in your long replies. Just to show you are making up rules that are in your head only.

Ahh yes, you, the knower of all truth, the fortune telling Gypsie!

I also intend to show you what you are measuring with your Lewin Clock. I already wrote that in a reply to jesuscf but I feel you need pictures with vivid colors.

That'll be a hoot! You can't even solve for the voltage on a resistor driven by a transformer with  an ideal core!

Offline Jesse Gordon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #442 on: November 24, 2021, 07:20:04 pm »

That is really really weak, my friend.

You must recognize that it is a complex issue on all sides, otherwise Dr. Belcher wouldn't have been so broad in his stamp of approval of Mehdi and Dr. McDonald wouldn't have outright stated that Lewin's loop was within the scope of applicability of Kirchhoff's Voltage Equations.

If you cannot recognize that it's a complex issue and that all of us are trying to argue for what we really think is the truth, then you probably aren't doing so yourself.

So what then? Do we all just start accusing eachother of being stupid and immoral? What good is that going to do? Both sides can do that equally.

Why not deal with the issue? Why not actually talk about the actual crux of the issue?

Frankly, you're sounding more and more like the "dead inside" you described near the opening of this discussion.

Why not answer the following question?

Q: Does KVL at the very least appear to hold as measured by a volt meter in the following diagram:

Once you answer that, then we can move on and you can explain what you think is really going on.

But when you won't even come to grips with the observable part of reality, then what makes me think you got the rest right?

Offline Jesse Gordon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #443 on: November 24, 2021, 07:23:43 pm »

Dude! That crystalball of yours is getting a flatspot from over use!! Give it a break!

Offline Jesse Gordon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #444 on: November 24, 2021, 07:25:04 pm »

It really is their religion, isn't it? I hate to say it, but that seems to be what it comes down to.

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #445 on: November 24, 2021, 07:55:19 pm »

If both your theory and experiments depend on each other, that'll do you no good.

Because the experimental data presented here was obtained by more or less blindly poking around circuits with a volt meter, and without any understanding of what is actually going on. So the measurements taken do not support in any form the claim that "KVL holds".

Talk for yourself!  Don't reflect your ignorance into other people.  When I saw Lewin's experiment for the first time I thought immediately: he is ignoring the induced voltage in the scope probes!   The other day I showed Lewin's circuit to a friend of mine and almost instantaneously he also said "he is measuring the voltages incorrectly".  I bet that is the case with the vast majority of people that know how to use an oscilloscope.

As for "If both your theory and experiments depend on each other, that'll do you no good", well, last time I checked that is how science works.  That is exactly how Maxwell equations were derived.

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #446 on: November 24, 2021, 07:57:10 pm »

It really is their religion, isn't it? I hate to say it, but that seems to be what it comes down to.

Sadly, I think you are correct.

Offline Jesse Gordon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #447 on: November 24, 2021, 09:59:18 pm »
First of all, let me say THANK YOU, you are the only one actually trying to think stuff through on the Lewin side, and I really appreciate that!

I didn't subtract, I measured.

[...]

I didn't make up any framework. I just used my volt meter, resistors, and transformers to find out what observable reality is.

[...]

My level-1 "framework" is what I observe. Above that I do my best to understand what's going on at a theoretical level. Maxwell, Faraday, and Kirchhoff described it elegantly. I have no problem with any of them.

So, what Jesse does is poking around a circuit with a volt meter without having an idea what it's going to show, and as he sees the measurements he makes up some explanations but doesn't validate them against established science.

Naturally, I object to what I describe as your mischaracterization of my understanding.

In fact he doesn't understand Maxwell-Faraday beyond the level of "volts per turn"

Not true, while I don't understand at the level of Dr. McDonald or Dr. Belcher, I do understand more than just "volts per turn."

As I have repeated so many times, my argument is that a closed-magnetic-circuit-core transformer secondary MODELS AND MEASURES as if "volts per turn" is sufficient to describe it as a 2 terminal element for the sake of KVL.

But I've also always invited you to explain why you think KVL is not holding even though it measures like it is.

and especially doesn't understand that the equation describes a relation between the magnetic flux in the core and an (rotational, non-conservative) electric field around the core that is extending to infinity,

Explain this some more please. If it is non conservative and extends to infinity, then I can detect it from 1ft away, with no part of my measuring apparatus closer than 1 foot from the toroid under test?

Or do you mean I have to run a wire THROUGH the core to detect this electric field?

this being the reason why there cannot be an "inside" or "outside" of a transformer as he understands it. He doesn't realize it is this electric field that is separating charges in a path of conductor and causing "voltage" and that one needs to consider paths through this electric field to see if a loop of wire is a "transformer secondary" or not. Thus all the conclusions he derives from his observation are worthless.

Oh come on LOL Worthless?  :-DD

It sounds like you're basically saying that we cannot use the secondary winding of a transformer as a 2 terminal element in a KVL loop with other elements because some of those other elements may be subject to the electric field produced by the transformer and may have voltages induced in them?

I hope not because that's absurd. There is no non-conservative field OUTSIDE a toroid for paths that do not go through the hole: Thus, if there is only one path through the hole in the toroid, and it's the secondary winding, and none of the other parts of the other elements go through the hole in the toroid, then all the other elements are not in a non-conservative field.

And by the way, I asked you several times and you never answered, but I'd still like to know if you think the following transformer core design sends out an E-Field into space, and if so, what if we wrapped it in a superconductor enclosure:

But anyway, Snedri already admitted that V2 in the below diagram would be suitable for a KVL loop, and he also admitted that V1 and V2 will have the exact same voltage:

Allow me to elaborate. Below picture shows the problem I gave Jesse to evaluate. It is a toroidal core with "1V of EMF per turn". A ring of resistors is around the core. One has double the value of the other. Volt meters are connected as shown and all numbers were provided by him. I have only added one additional volt meter showing "2/3V" to demonstrate my point. I've tried visualizing the electric field component with green arrows. RED loops are "hot", voltage is induced (1V). BLUE loops are "cold", no voltage is induced. I took over Jesses notation of a "signed voltage" which here means "phase", because obviously this is all AC and there is no "sign" on a RMS volt meter. But I guess he measured with an oscilloscope and found that the voltage is "inverted" in relation to the voltage across the other resistor.

Yes, I used a scope to determine the phase. This convention was started by Lewin who also used scopes and said "At a given instant in time, ......." so I do the same. At a given instant in time, these are the voltages. A moment before or a moment later, they won't be. But at this instant in time, they are.

Now, to see why the blue loops are indeed cold one needs to know a tiny bit of vector calculus, or just accept the fact that all electric field components along any of the blue loops sum up to zero, in other words:
$${\oint{\mathrm{E}\;\mathrm{d}l} = 0}$$
That looks familiar.

With this in mind it should be easily visible why the red loops are "hot", because the electric field components do not sum up to zero:
$$\oint{\mathrm{E}\;\mathrm{d}l} = -\frac{\mathrm{d}B}{\mathrm{d}t},\; (\mathrm{= EMF = 1V})$$
This should also look familiar.

Just because a claim is hard to prove doesn't mean it's false.

In this case, just because a certain loop is hard to probe, it doesn't mean KVL doesn't hold.

Your probing method inherently subtracts induced voltage from your reading, leaving you with only the ohmic losses.

For example in the below diagram, stretch out the wires so the 3 volt meters are a million miles from the toroid. Two of the meters read 1v and the third still reads zero. It's not because there are zero volts induced, it's because there is one volt induced on each secondary and the difference between 1 and 1 is zero.

You are, buy definition, only measuring ohmic losses, because you are using a method of measuring which specifically subtracts all induced voltage differences.

And besides, KVL specifically requires that all elements have EXACTLY 2 terminals -- so of course when you try to throw in an element with multiple terminals (which is what you have done by running a volt meter lead through the transformer) of course KVL appears to fail because you're using it how it's not meant to work.

I think we can agree now though that simple 2-terminal closed-magnetic-circuit-core transformer secondary windings work fine as an element in a KVL loop with other components? Or do you still disagree with that?

Are you saying that the electric field produced by a toroidal transformer can induce voltages in other elements in the KVL loop, thus causing KVL to fail?

This tells us that in the blue loops there is no contribution from the magnetic flux in the transformer core and the volt meters in any of them display only what results from the electric currents flowing. That explains why we have 1/3V, 0V, 0V and 2/3V, Ohm's Law lets us expect that. They also sum up to the EMF of 1V which we should expect to find according to Mr. Faraday. These blue loops are those where KVL holds.

Now lets walk through both red loops clockwise. In the R+2R loop the path is with the curl of the electric field, in the 2R loop the path is against the curl, so lets just say we expect an EMF of "-1V" along this path and run with that simplification. We know that the electric field across 2R is 2/3V (measured along a "cold" path) and the EMF is "-1V" and when we sum that up we get to the "-1/3V" that Jesse's magic phase-aware volt meter was showing. Note that I am sticking with Jesse's frame of reference on purpose to explain what he "measures", being fully conscious that it is not a full analogy.

This analysis explains all the measurements without making anyone unhappy except Mr. Kirchhoff, but we can easily accept that, given that the more fundamental laws by Mr. Ohm and Mr. Faraday are satisfied. Jesse's claim that "KVL holds" because all the voltages "sum up to 0" is without basis because of a faulty interpretation of the results obtained.

Objection your honor!  :-DD

The reason Mr. Kirchhoff is unhappy is because you're categorically ignoring measurements of some of the voltage differences on some of the elements in the loop.

Now the big question is of course, can KVL be somehow made to work in this arrangement, and for that we need to find an equivalent circuit with lumped elements. That will prove to be difficult, because one cannot find a place where to stick a lumped transformer winding or voltage source and still satisfy all the measurements taken in the various places. We can obviously not put it in the wires between the resistors, because we measure 0V across them. It can also not be in "R" and/or in "2R". If we put a 2/3V source "inside" 2R, that would violate the "-1/3V" reading on the rightmost volt meter.

So, where is it? Apparently it is there, but we cannot pinpoint it and measurements between two identical points show different results depending on how we instrument the circuit (1/3V, 2/3V, -1/3V). For circuit theory and KVL this is a nightmare. That's why there are "equivalent circuits" e.g. for transformers which try to model physics with lumped elements full of imaginary numbers and "magic items" like ideal transformers because they relieve engineers of having to think about physics. And to make KVL work. But now and then, when Sir James Clerk Maxwell makes an appearance, everyone is baffled why their circuits don't work.

The only reason we cannot pinpoint it is because it is all the way around. Sure, it MODELS and MEASURES as if it's at the center, but if you look at Faraday, and Maxwell, it's dB/dt inside an area, and measuring it on a solid core of effective infinite length is difficult because the active element of the transformer is no different than our volt meter leads, and they too, suffer from that same effect of induced voltage.

The difficulty in probing is that the volt meter has to be on one side of the infinitely long solenoid. That doesn't mean that there isn't a certain volts per turn of induced EMF, it just means it's difficult to measure in less than 1 turn increments because the volt meter leads have to go around the solenoid an integer number of times, unless we're allowed to run the volt meter probes through the

However, if we use MaxEQ to our benefit, we can find ways to measure the voltage across a transformer turn or a partial turn without our probe leads becoming also voltage sources.

That is how on my Lewin Clock I was able to measure the partial turn voltage differences, because I understand enough to know that above my air core pancake transformer, there are certain planes in which there is no non-conservative field - and by running my probe wires along these planes I was able to measure the exact voltages that KVL predicts.

My Lewin Clock is nothing more than a continuously variable variac. It simply allows the secondary winding taps to be placed at any desired point.

If Ferrofluid wasn't so expensive, I would try the same thing submerged in ferrofluid, basically that would be a liquid core transformer, it would have a closed magnetic circuit and yet a tap could be placed anywhere and the volt meter leads would not be in a non-conservative field, and fractional turn voltages could be easily measured.

And why do I go on about fractional turn? Because here's the shell game we're playing.

First we start off with the given, "KVL IS FOR THE BIRDS." Lewin said it, it must be true.

So people like I come along and say "Ahh, but look, I have a transformer output, I put it in series with some resistors, and I considered these each as elements, measured the voltage differences around the loop, and the sum was zero..

But then the lewinites come back and say "No! You have to create the loop INSIDE a transformer, by forming a KVL ring in a toroid, using HALF turns as elements instead of WHOLE turns."

Why? Because the infinitely long nature of the toroid makes it difficult to  probe the voltage induced across a half turn. That's why. It has nothing to do with the fact that KVL works any differently on whole turns or half turns, they all work the same, it's just that it's harder to measure the voltage induced across a partial turn on a toroid using volt meters.

So the entire Lewinite argument is about making the measurement difficult, not that KVL actually fails.

But then people like me come back and come up with ways to measure partial turn voltage differences, and again, KVL holds just fine even with partial turns and correct probing.

And then we end up with this crazyness where you claim there is 0 volts across all the wires, but 1 volt across the resistors, where exactly is the voltage coming from?
Oh? It's induced? So it is there. It's just difficult to measure in certain specific situations which have been designed for it to be difficult to measure.

And that is why Dr. McDonald said that Lewin's loop is within the range of applicability for  Kirchhoff's Voltage Equations.

~~~

So at this point can we agree that KVL works fine with a toroidal transformer secondary winding as a two-terminal element in a loop of that plus resistors, like this:

Because all of your "KVL FAILS Proofs" seem to be based on using a two partial turns on an infinite core, can we agree that whole turns on an infinite core work fine with KVL?

Then we can get onto the nitty gritty of why you think partial turns are failing.

Ultimately, a half turn is no different than a full turn, it's just harder to measure the voltage across it on a single magnetic-circuit infinite core.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 10:09:22 pm by Jesse Gordon »

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #448 on: November 25, 2021, 02:57:07 am »
Lumpable (lumped and not lumped) and unlumpable for Dummies

What makes a circuit lumpable? First of all its physical dimension have to be negligible compared to the wavelength of the electrical oscillations, and then voltages and currents 'offered' at the terminals must be well defined at any time. You want your circuit to be independent on how you measure voltage between two points or current along the same branch.

Here is a snapshot from page 2 of "Basic Circuit Theory", by Desoer and Kuh (don't let the title deceive you: this is the Bentley of circuit theory books).

Source: Desoer, Kuh "Basic Circuit Theory"
https://i.postimg.cc/76mcdQNg/Desoer-Kuh.jpg

Note: in the case of Lewin's ring we know that the frequency is so low that retardation effects play no role; the condition that voltages and current be well defined is what we must be careful about. In particular, it's voltage the variable in discussion.
If we can interact with the component only through its terminals and we are not allowed to get inside, the only paths along which we can evaluate voltage (which is a path integral) are those 'outside' the component. And we require that the voltage be the same no matter how we choose the path joining the terminals.

In the case of magnetic components, we know that voltage along the path joining two points depends on the path, when we can go from one side of the magnetic flux region to the other. This is a direct consequence of one of Maxwell's equations (Faraday's law: curl E = -dB/dt) and basic vector integral calculus (Stokes theorem, the definitions of circulation and the definition of flux).

In order for voltage to be well defined, we must avoid paths that go through or 'on the other side' of the variable magnetic flux. The reason is simple: if the same starting and ending points admit two paths that are on opposite sides of the magnetic region, then the closed path formed by joining these two paths will enclose a variable flux and they must necessarily sum up to a nonzero value

Fig. two paths and the area enclosed (to be added later)

Now we know how to make voltage unique: allow only paths that cannot get into the forbidden zone. We enclose the component inside a black box (or an impenetrable wall) and we do not question what is inside. We must also ensure that our circuit path - the orange dashed line - does not contain variable magnetic flux itself.

Here is a lumpable circuit. The same circuit can be considered

• lumpED, when we avoid the forbidden paths by erecting an impenetrable wall and we only access the magnetic component through its terminals (note the circuit path that does not go into the forbidden zone, but instead jumps at the terminals). KVL works inside the green circuit path.
  • NOT lumped, when we consider a circuit path (for the same physical system that we usually address with the name 'circuit') that encloses part or all of the variable magnetic flux region. In this case any path inside the orange dashed line that represent the circuit's premises is allowed. Some of these paths - not all, but only one would suffice - can 'go on the other side' of the magnetic region, making voltage between two points NOT WELL DEFINED.

Fig. the same lumpable circuit can be considered either lumped or not lumped
https://i.postimg.cc/8kFQxNqc/Lumpable-can-be-lumped-or-not.jpg

So far, so good: it looks like we have freedom to choose when we can make KVL works.
NO. There are circuits that are not lumpABLE. There are circuits where the circuit path is REQUIRED by definition or physical constraint to include the variable flux region. In this case it is not possible to find a green circuit path that connects the lumped components AND does not contain the variable flux region at its interior. Only orange paths are available.
Lewin's ring is an example of such a circuit. The resistors R1 and R2 are required to be on the opposite sides of the solenoid, i.e. the variable flux region. And you cannot find a circuit path that connects them without enclosing such forbidden zone. Voltages for points on your circuit will be path dependent.

Fig. an unlumpable circuit: you cannot exclude dB/dt region from the circuit path
https://i.postimg.cc/NfhVVT6C/Unlumpable-circuit.jpg

And, no. You cannot model it with several tiny little transformer secondaries distributed along the perimeter, because you would forfeit the constraint that the two resistors be on the opposite sides of the variable magnetic region. It's exactly that constrain - your circuit path containing the dB/dt region - that makes Lewin's ring so special.
If you change the magnetic field region you are considering a different problem

Fig. an unlumpable circuit: you cannot exclude dB/dt region from the circuit path
https://i.postimg.cc/YCKNjzg2/Spot-the-differences.png

In order to model it with two or four lumped coils, the magnetic field region must be split to accommodate a circuit path that does not include any of it. I used the same 'stellated' path style used by Feynman in figure 22-9 on page 22-7 of his second volume of lectures.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 03:09:04 am by Sredni »

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #449 on: November 25, 2021, 03:58:40 am »
Lumpable (lumped and not lumped) and unlumpable for Dummies

What makes a circuit lumpable? First of all its physical dimension have to be negligible compared to the wavelength of the electrical oscillations, and then voltages and currents 'offered' at the terminals must be well defined at any time. You want your circuit to be independent on how you measure voltage between two points or current along the same branch.

Here is a snapshot from page 2 of "Basic Circuit Theory", by Desoer and Kuh (don't let the title deceive you: this is the Bentley of circuit theory books).

Source: Desoer, Kuh "Basic Circuit Theory"
[url]https://i.postimg.cc/76mcdQNg/Desoer-Kuh.jpg[/url]

Note: in the case of Lewin's ring we know that the frequency is so low that retardation effects play no role; the condition that voltages and current be well defined is what we must be careful about. In particular, it's voltage the variable in discussion.
If we can interact with the component only through its terminals and we are not allowed to get inside, the only paths along which we can evaluate voltage (which is a path integral) are those 'outside' the component. And we require that the voltage be the same no matter how we choose the path joining the terminals.

In the case of magnetic components, we know that voltage along the path joining two points depends on the path, when we can go from one side of the magnetic flux region to the other. This is a direct consequence of one of Maxwell's equations (Faraday's law: curl E = -dB/dt) and basic vector integral calculus (Stokes theorem, the definitions of circulation and the definition of flux).

In order for voltage to be well defined, we must avoid paths that go through or 'on the other side' of the variable magnetic flux. The reason is simple: if the same starting and ending points admit two paths that are on opposite sides of the magnetic region, then the closed path formed by joining these two paths will enclose a variable flux and they must necessarily sum up to a nonzero value

Fig. two paths and the area enclosed (to be added later)

Now we know how to make voltage unique: allow only paths that cannot get into the forbidden zone. We enclose the component inside a black box (or an impenetrable wall) and we do not question what is inside. We must also ensure that our circuit path - the orange dashed line - does not contain variable magnetic flux itself.

Here is a lumpable circuit. The same circuit can be considered

• lumpED, when we avoid the forbidden paths by erecting an impenetrable wall and we only access the magnetic component through its terminals (note the circuit path that does not go into the forbidden zone, but instead jumps at the terminals). KVL works inside the green circuit path.
  • NOT lumped, when we consider a circuit path (for the same physical system that we usually address with the name 'circuit') that encloses part or all of the variable magnetic flux region. In this case any path inside the orange dashed line that represent the circuit's premises is allowed. Some of these paths - not all, but only one would suffice - can 'go on the other side' of the magnetic region, making voltage between two points NOT WELL DEFINED.

Fig. the same lumpable circuit can be considered either lumped or not lumped
[url]https://i.postimg.cc/8kFQxNqc/Lumpable-can-be-lumped-or-not.jpg[/url]

So far, so good: it looks like we have freedom to choose when we can make KVL works.
NO. There are circuits that are not lumpABLE. There are circuits where the circuit path is REQUIRED by definition or physical constraint to include the variable flux region. In this case it is not possible to find a green circuit path that connects the lumped components AND does not contain the variable flux region at its interior. Only orange paths are available.
Lewin's ring is an example of such a circuit. The resistors R1 and R2 are required to be on the opposite sides of the solenoid, i.e. the variable flux region. And you cannot find a circuit path that connects them without enclosing such forbidden zone. Voltages for points on your circuit will be path dependent.

[url]https://i.postimg.cc/NfhVVT6C/Unlumpable-circuit.jpg[/url]

And, no. You cannot model it with several tiny little transformer secondaries distributed along the perimeter, because you would forfeit the constraint that the two resistors be on the opposite sides of the variable magnetic region. It's exactly that constrain - your circuit path containing the dB/dt region - that makes Lewin's ring so special.
If you change the magnetic field region you are considering a different problem

[url]https://i.postimg.cc/YCKNjzg2/Spot-the-differences.png[/url]

In order to model it with two or four lumped coils, the magnetic field region must be split to accommodate a circuit path that does not include any of it. I used the same 'stellated' path style used by Feynman in figure 22-9 on page 22-7 of his second volume of lectures.

Sure, now go tell the electric power industry that they can not lump a 200 km long power line and apply KVL... because reasons I guess?

Lewin's circuit is one of the easiest ones to lump: it is a very simple transformer.  It is literally in every basic electric circuits textbook!  And guess what: KVL works nicely on it.

Once again: you can lump anything if the size of the lump is small enough.  It may not be practical, or easy, but it is doable.

So now a varying magnetic field doesn't induce an EMF in the ring?  How would you explain a ring made of resistors exclusively?  What about the little wires between points A and D, very closely placed to the ring, that Lewin used to take the measurements?  Don't they do get an EMF as well?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf