Is there anyone who still uses analog multimeters?
Hi,
Despite the better precision of digital meters analog meters are still useful and have their advantages.
For one thing, they do NOT require batteries. This can be an important feature. If you want a digital meter that does not require batteries you have to get a bench meter that plugs into the wall, or get a battery adapter or something else that plugs into the wall.
Another use is when you want faster response. Many analog meters can respond faster than digital meters, and some digital meters can take 3 to 5 seconds just to get one reading as the meter digits start to stabilize.
An example is if you want to test your car battery when you start the car to see how low the battery voltage drops when the engine first starts to turn over. A cheap analog panel meter will jump right down to the lower voltage when the engine start to turn while a digital meter will just start to change and probably won't catch the lowest voltage as the engine starts running, but then it's too late.
It's true you can get an oscilloscope for this and that would work even better, but that's not a meter that's a different instrument.
Then there is the antique thing. I have an old Westinghouse panel meter that measures current, the face is 10 inches in diameter. God only knows when it was first made. I don't actually use it anymore, but it's pretty cool. You can see how they made things back then and compare to how they make things now. I wonder if anything we have now like digital meters will last 100 years like this old meter would. It's doubtful.
So, chalk up another advantage: longevity.
I also had an old Simpson multimeter, and an old Radio Shack meter which I was sorry I threw out because it had a special dual range feature and FET input stage, so it was high impedance even though an analog multimeter.
Many devices have their own niche not just analog meters.