Author Topic: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?  (Read 5993 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 42251
  • Country: au
    • EEVblog
EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« on: August 05, 2026, 10:24:00 pm »
I guess I have 1 million subscribers now.

 
The following users thanked this post: SeanB, fpliuzzi, nctnico, digsys, Brumby, pdenisowski, Grandchuck, Exosia, Detlev, axantas

Offline darkspr1te

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 520
  • Country: zm
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2026, 10:39:10 pm »
Congrats Dave, you been a solid for me providing education and a forum to talk. 
You will know me from live streams as colingale aka the one who went ape over the 150 in one kit, my first love.
p.s why dont you make a eevblog first electronics kit using the original card and spring method?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2026, 10:41:20 pm by darkspr1te »
 
The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline Unixon

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 762
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2026, 11:38:22 pm »
I'm subscribed from at least two accounts, so I hope this doesn't change the calculation. :-DD
Congratulations, Dave, you deserve a lot more for your work than just a golden play button.  :-+

Retiring is probably inevitable... eventually..., but I really hope it's not that soon.
If all it is about doing stuff for income of for fun, I'd love you do 1000x things for fun but income has to come from somewhere too...
Same problems here  :palm:

I'm a little bit younger, but I'm also getting a bit tired, not a for any particular reason, just because some wonderful 17+ years have passed by, yeah.
Well... I still keep my hopes and dreams of making some crazy ideas come true.

Letting go is hard, you know...

 
The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Online coromonadalix

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8782
  • Country: ca
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2026, 12:15:17 am »
love your "dumpster finds"  :-+
 
The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline golden_labels

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2454
  • Country: pl
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2026, 11:22:36 am »
Once more, good job! 👏

Not only the video channel, but also this forum — a gift to the community no smaller than all videos combined.

Why 📎 | We live in times when half of people have IQ below 100.
 
The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, abeyer

Offline iMo

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 6898
  • Country: li
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2026, 11:59:32 am »
Quote
Can I retire now?

I think you already retired 17 years ago.
Since then, you've just been enjoying your favourite hobby full-time..  :)
 :-+
Readers discretion is advised..
 
The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, TUMEMBER

Offline Ismo

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 2
  • Country: us
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2026, 12:41:48 pm »
Dave,
Thank you for all the years — the honesty, the grit, the curiosity you never let fade.
You didn’t just make videos; you built a place where people like us could learn, argue, laugh, and stay inspired.
Your consistency, your craft, your dedication… it mattered.
It still does.
Grateful for every year you chose to keep going.
You earned this moment.
 
The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline richnormand

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 775
  • Country: ca
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2026, 03:01:24 pm »
Congrats. Carry on!

"Can I Retire Now?"
No! perish the though.....

Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate
 
The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline MisterHeadache

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 150
  • Country: us
    • Level UP EE Lab
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2026, 03:47:30 pm »
Congratulations, Dave - well earned!  Getting 1MM subscribers is easy if you debase yourself and shovel truckloads of mind-rotting stupidity.  Getting 1MM by providing genuinely useful and well developed content while improving the overall intelligence level of humanity is in a class by itself.
Daryn from Level Up EE Lab
AKA 'MisterHeadache'
 
The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, richnormand

Offline pdenisowski

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1278
  • Country: us
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2026, 01:00:45 am »

I have watched, quite literally, every single one of your videos and still go back and rewatch some of them when I need a "refresher" on a certain topic.  And in many cases, your video was the ONLY video on YouTube that presented a given topic in a way that was clear, authentic, and practical.

So please don't retire before I do!  :)
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8
 
The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline Exosia

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 17
  • Country: gr
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2026, 10:29:09 pm »
I've been watching since the first Rigol DS1052e video. Since then, Australia hasn't seemed like such an obscure, distant place anymore.
Thank you for your excellent work.

Can you retire? If you want to, but for God's sake keep the forum alive :P :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2026, 10:34:38 pm by Exosia »
 
The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline Brumby

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 12604
  • Country: au
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2026, 06:49:49 am »
Congratulations Dave!!  It's been a journey - of interest and education.  I - and I'm sure a great many others - are hoping that journey will continue for some time yet.

Just for interest ... Here's what caught my eye and hooked me... (You were kind enough to point to the actual unit in this screen grab:)


Here's why (From my bench)


I am still tempted to stop by Altronics and get you that missing knob!!


Retire?  Nah - you're having too much fun (every now and then)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2026, 06:56:26 am by Brumby »
Why Clippy?  --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Dtmpe9qaQ
 

Offline RoGeorge

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8470
  • Country: ro
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2026, 07:17:14 am »
1 000 000 !!!  :-+
Congrats, but no, you can not retire now.

Not until you fix the forum inline math that doesn't work any more as it used to work before.  ;D
Nominal Animal has some hints about how to fix it:  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/inline-latex-math-notation-is-no-longer-being-rendered-as-it-used-to-be/msg6329296/#msg6329296


Offline RoGeorge

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8470
  • Country: ro
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2026, 08:33:13 am »
Just so everybody knows, Dave fixed that math forum bug in minutes, thank you.

I hope you were joking about retiring.  That would be a pity, because you did great so far.  Brought newcomers into electronics, kept the interest alive for those already in, become famous, gather a nice EE community both on YouTube/social media, and here, on the forum, and so on.

You did a great job so far, thank you, congrats, and keep going!  :-+
 
The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Grandchuck

Offline pdenisowski

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1278
  • Country: us
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2026, 09:05:39 am »
Don't look now Dave, but I think another YouTube T&M channel is about to cross the 1 million mark any day now ... not hard when they're gaining > 6K subscribers per day.   :-DD
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8
 
The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 42251
  • Country: au
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2026, 10:06:51 am »
Don't look now Dave, but I think another YouTube T&M channel is about to cross the 1 million mark any day now ... not hard when they're gaining > 6K subscribers per day.   :-DD

If anyone believes they are genuine subscribers then I've got a bridge to sell you.

 
The following users thanked this post: thm_w, pdenisowski

Offline nctnico

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 30200
  • Country: nl
    • NCT Developments
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2026, 03:56:55 pm »
Don't look now Dave, but I think another YouTube T&M channel is about to cross the 1 million mark any day now ... not hard when they're gaining > 6K subscribers per day.   :-DD

If anyone believes they are genuine subscribers then I've got a bridge to sell you.
I don't think you have to convince anyone those are genuine subscribers. Unless the channel has been hacked to host pron videos.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.
 

Offline ballsystemlord

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 488
  • Country: us
  • Student
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2026, 11:46:35 pm »
Dave , When I first saw this, "Can I Retire Now?" I almost hit thumbs down before watching it to indicate that "you cannot retire now."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2026, 03:50:17 am by ballsystemlord »
 

Offline John B

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1073
  • Country: au
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2026, 05:31:23 am »
Ultimately, that's a question for the tax office, and the tax office says no. Never.
 
The following users thanked this post: ballsystemlord

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 42251
  • Country: au
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2026, 06:51:11 am »
Ultimately, that's a question for the tax office, and the tax office says no. Never.

Someone asked me about 6 months ago that I must be close to retiring, using the 4% rule. Yeah, nah, I have a wife and two kids growing up in a totally rooted economy living in the 2nd most expensive city in the world.
I'll be reviewing multimeters in my rocking chair.
 
The following users thanked this post: Yansi, pdenisowski, ballsystemlord

Offline golden_labels

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2454
  • Country: pl
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2026, 09:34:49 am »
Finances aside, it is good to have something interesting to do in the rocking chair.

Why 📎 | We live in times when half of people have IQ below 100.
 

Offline ballsystemlord

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 488
  • Country: us
  • Student
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2026, 01:25:21 am »
Finances aside, it is good to have something interesting to do in the rocking chair.

Good point. So then we can expect him to be doing rocking chair based social commentary in the future then?  ;)
 

Offline temperance

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1609
  • Country: 00
Re: EEVblog 1764 - Can I Retire Now?
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2026, 03:40:46 pm »
Quote
Good point. So then we can expect him to be doing rocking chair based social commentary in the future then?

Something like this.

 
The following users thanked this post: ballsystemlord


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->