Author Topic: AliExpress adventures  (Read 5717 times)

Offline magicTopic starter

• Super Contributor
AliExpress adventures
« on: May 27, 2021, 01:08:06 pm »
So I bought stuff on AliExpress. It arrived nonoperational, with scratches and other marks of somewhat unprofessional handling ::)
Shipping packaging is OK, so it looks like the vendor / their employees screwed up.

While opening the dispute, I had to choose between "quality issue" and "damaged item". I picked the latter and got an automated message that my claim will be treated as shipping damage and handled by AliExpress themselves because it was their shipping service.

The seller probably won't even know and surely won't care until Ali concludes it wasn't shipping related and hands the issue off. For that to happen, I now need to produce photographs of the packaging and a video of the device failing to operate as intended. Pics aren't enough for them, although most sellers would accept them right away IME if something is obviously dead.
 |O

TL;DR: always choose "quality issue" if it's the seller's fault.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 07:23:19 am by magic »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor

Same as on eBay:  Always choose "Item not as described" if it is the seller's fault (and even if it isn't!).

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
  IMO it's unreasonable for Ali to expect YOU to jump through a bunch of hoops  to Prove that the item doesn't work. If they're concerned about that then they're free to have it shipped back at their expense and then they can test it themselves.  Your pictures of the damaged item and the damaged packaging should be enough. If Ali continues to be unreasonable I would cancel the payment if it was made via a credit card of PayPal. if you made payment through some service where you can't get a refund, then shame on you.  Live and learn.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor

The problem is, these sites all have "set-in-stone" processes to deal with claims / refunds.

If the user doesn't select the right path, right at the outset...   unhappiness will be the result, because there is usually no way back once a path has been chosen!

• Super Contributor
The packaging is not damaged and the item was screwed by the seller/supplier/whoever.

I'm not entirely surprised, my photo of some test gear attached to the product would perhaps suffice to convince an electronics supplier, but the problem is that the dispute is handled by AliEx customer support. I uploaded a somewhat more "dummy friendly" video today, fingers crossed ::)

Yep, they have a "process" and they follow it, that's all. And I wouldn't mind it, if there was clear information that this is how my claim will be interpreted and handled at the time I was filing it. Unfortunately, AE is sometimes crappy like that. There are things you just need to know because they won't tell you before it's too late. For instance, I still haven't figured out how to check what the deadline for opening a dispute is, other than by remembering when I confirmed the delivery and adding two weeks.

• Super Contributor
Bumping my AliExpress adventures blog ;D

So, for those who have been holding their breath the last seven months, I won that dispute back then :phew:

But now I have a new problem. Does anyone know how to win a "counterfeit item" dispute and what the criteria are I need to meet? It frankly is not the first time that I filed such claim and it got rejected. Previously, they changed it to "defective item" and gave me the partial refund I requested (the chips were a mix of random brands with fake markings but equivalent) so I just accepted it.

This time, I received some blacktopped mystery meat instead of an obscure single-source IC and I got pissed and requested full refund. Their response? Apparently I failed to prove my case, but they agree it's "defective" again and suggest 50% refund or 100% only if I send the garbage back. Regarding "counterfeit",

Dear, please provide the brand publicity of seller, such as the logo on the product to prove it is fake. Thanks for your cooperation and we are eager to solve your problem. Have a nice day.
:wtf:
Does anyone know what it is that they want from me? I surely did post photos which show fake logos on obvious black paint covering the original markings. I pointed it out to them in a comment but they didn't respond. Unfortunately, original markings are gone and rubbing the black topping away revealed nothing interesting.

If all else fails, I will crack one chip open and maybe find the true part number on the die. But I would rather avoid arguing such things with tech-illiterate support drones.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor

So, for those who have been holding their breath the last seven months, I won that dispute back then :phew:

But now I have a new problem. Does anyone know how to win a "counterfeit item" dispute and what the criteria are I need to meet? It frankly is not the first time that I filed such claim and it got rejected. Previously, they changed it to "defective item" and gave me the partial refund I requested (the chips were a mix of random brands with fake markings but equivalent) so I just accepted it.

This time, I received some blacktopped mystery meat instead of an obscure single-source IC and I got pissed and requested full refund. Their response? Apparently I failed to prove my case, but they agree it's "defective" again and suggest 50% refund or 100% only if I send the garbage back. Regarding "counterfeit",

I see atleast two problems sending counterfeits back, they might try to sell it to someone else and sending known counterfeits might be legal issue

• Super Contributor
Legal issue, LMAO :-DD
No one would ever find out.

The prime reason why I'm not sending anything back is because I have already removed them from the tape (yes, they taped those fake ICs ::)) and I'm not going to risk that the asshole seller will make problems because of that. I'm assuming that they will not pay me until the seller acknowledges the return; somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Another reason is that I have already destroyed the black paint and fake markings on one specimen :P

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
Legal issue, LMAO :-DD
No one would ever find out.

The prime reason why I'm not sending anything back is because I have already removed them from the tape (yes, they taped those fake ICs ::)) and I'm not going to risk that the asshole seller will make problems because of that. I'm assuming that they will not pay me until the seller acknowledges the return; somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Another reason is that I have already destroyed the black paint and fake markings on one specimen :P

find some parts on tape in a similar package ;)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Does AliExpress support "Item not as described" as the reason for complaining?

That's what I always use on eBay, and I never lose! :D

A couple of examples:   

Item: Cell phone
Problem: Does not connect to WiFi or Bluetooth (hardware issue, is my belief)
Complaint: "Item not as described"
Reason: "Described as 100% functional, but the item I received does not connect to WiFi or Bluetooth"
Outcome:  Full refund, item sent back at seller's expense

Item:  Used bench DMM, sold "as is, for parts"
Problem:  Missing major parts
Complaint: "Item not as described"
Reason: "Described as 'For parts', but the item I received had major parts missing which was not disclosed by seller"
Outcome:  Full refund, item sent back at seller's expense

The beauty of "Item not as described" is that it puts the onus on the seller to demonstrate why you're wrong.  If they are BS artists, they would rather just move on quietly!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 12:55:06 am by SilverSolder »

• Super Contributor
Re: AliExpress gotcha: "damaged item" claim implies shipping damage (to them)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 09:19:58 am »
Well, there is, but then the seller would likely not accept full refund so the case would go to AE customer support and they would want me again to bother with all that "video evidence" and they probably wouldn't understand much of it and just tell me to send the crap back for a refund. But returning is what I wanted to avoid dealing with - see the post above.

I mean, look at their response. They already are willing to accept that something might be "defective" about the parts (based on my pictures of black paint, basically) but they want me to send them back or take 50% refund.

That's why I push the counterfeit angle. I hope/expect that maybe they would be willing to refund 100% in such case, but I just can't get them to admit that the chips are indeed counterfeit |O

Another business days in China is passing without response, so I guess it's time to crack this shit open and look for original logos and part numbers.

find some parts on tape in a similar package ;)
He surely deserves it, but the markings are visible from outside so I would have to fake it somehow ;)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 01:04:47 pm »
[...]
Another business days in China is passing without response, so I guess it's time to crack this shit open and look for original logos and part numbers.
[...]

How bad is the fake chip - does it fail clear specifications from the data sheet?  That would be a good thing to demonstrate...

Is it possible to get a high quality picture of the real deal off the Internet, and do an A to B comparison?  Or is the fake very good looking...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 01:50:28 pm »
At this point the problem is that they want me to send the chips back. And I don't want to send them back because I'm lazy and because the seller could make a fuss that they are unpacked and partly damaged and I suppose I would risk ending up with no money and no chips. I would rather take 50%.

I don't think that demonstrating poor specs would change their minds about it. They would just say it's "quality" problem, so return them and get your money back. I really want to turn that second line green and see if new perks are unlocked by achieving this level ;D

BTW, they were supposed to be ISL21009 FGA voltage references so you would reasonably expect the cheapest bandgap rubbish if they are fake. Sure enough, I just opened one and it looks like Noopy's pics of REF01 so I guess it's REF02. There is even PMI logo on it, so I may be able to point it out.

I could power them up and nail them on tolerance and power consumption, but I feel like it's futile. However, REF02 sell for absolute peanuts on AliExpress (prolly recycled or fake, but not my problem) so I'm tempted to request the difference between what I paid and the going price of Chink REF02 and see what happens.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 03:07:32 pm »

You've got the evidence you need now, well done!   I would go balls-out, all in now!   >:D

The case is being reviewed by non-experts.  So simplified "simple" and "bold" complaints are best.  What's the simplest, shortest, boldest claim that can be made to a lay person that is still defensible?

"The items I received are integrated circuits type REF02 by PMI which have been fraudulently altered and re-marked to look like ISL21009 (see attached pictures).   The items I received are not usable, have no commercial value, and are clearly in violation of AliExpress policies on counterfeit goods.  Please grant my reasonable request for a full refund.  If seller wishes the fraudulent items returned, I am willing to do that at seller's expense only."

What's seller going to do...  "Wait, my fakes are based on REF01 and I want more $"?  :D   

The following users thanked this post: magic

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 03:19:06 pm »
Yes, they ask you to jump through hoops to get your refund.
Look at this for one purchase that I made some time ago. I asked for a refund out of principle, because I don't get scams slide, no matter how small. And they came back to me to do additional bunch of things for 1 EUR, even after uploading a photo...  |O

Problems with the order   Judgement from AE   Invalid Reason   Proof Guide
parameter not as described   Invalid   Unable to identify your claim, please clarify your claim stating the problem of the goods you have received   
Please take a clear picture of the product and mark out the discrepancies.

Color not as described   Invalid   No problem is shown in the evidence   Dear buyer, we can't see the difference between the product you purchased and the seller page product. Please give another proof, thank you for your understanding.

Solutions:
  Option 1: Return goods   Full refund  1.07 EUR ( Buyer pays the returning shipping fee)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2022, 04:00:51 pm »
These are some good ideas, including finding the actual rules (they seem to be here) and pointing out that the product is illegal and therefore legally has no value :-+

That being said, I am only willing to send them back for the purpose of bringing legal action against the seller (lol, it will never happen) and in partly disassembled condition >:D

If these dispute rules are applicable to AE (?) then this may be my problem:
https://rule.alibaba.com/rule/detail/8882.htm
Article 55 Where the products delivered by the Seller have quality problems, Inconsistent Descriptions, or infringement issue, Alibaba.com shall support Returning of Products and Refund to the Buyer. If the products cannot be returned due to its nature, the objective conditions, or the restrictions under local laws and regulations, Alibaba.com shall support Refund, and the Seller shall contact the Buyer on its own in order to handle products.

Article 56 Where part of the products delivered by the Seller have quality problems, Inconsistent Descriptions, or minor defects or flaws that do not affect the main functions of the products, Alibaba.com shall support Partial Refund.
Basically, they always want it returned when full refund is given (and the goods aren't MIA). I would have to find some excuse like maybe sending counterfeit items by post is illegal (if it is).
Or ask for adjustment of price to REF02 level. After all, the main function of the product is here, they just sent me a low quality substitute that costs 20 cents in China ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 04:26:04 pm by magic »

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2022, 05:46:11 pm »

This little adventure just made it less likely I will ever use AliExpress for anything.

What a fucking pile of crap. They exist because people are willing to take a chance on "cheap."

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2022, 07:55:32 pm »

The issue is that to a layman, it's your word against the vendor's.  Unless you are able to show some clear pictures that a layman can understand, they might choose to believe the vendor's story (for all we know, vendor could be telling them that you are trying to scam them).

So, your complaint has to be the cleanest, simplest, and most direct possible.

"The items I received do not match the item description at all.  I received inferior devices with counterfeit labeling to make them look like the item in the description.  The attached pictures clearly show the items I received are re-labeled REF02 chips, not ISL21009 as claimed in the description.   

The items I received would be rejected by any independent institution performing even the most basic tests.  They are not usable, have no commercial value, and are clearly in violation of AliExpress policies on counterfeit goods. 

I am asking for a full refund.   If this is not possible for some reason, I will pursue a complaint with my credit card company regarding the fraudulent activity.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2022, 09:16:36 pm »
The issue is that to a layman, it's your word against the vendor's.  Unless you are able to show some clear pictures that a layman can understand, they might choose to believe the vendor's story (for all we know, vendor could be telling them that you are trying to scam them).

No, they've already accepted the stuff is dodgy and he should get the refund. The issue is that the vendor wants them returned. He probably doesn't but he knows that by asking for that (quite legitimately) the chances of the stuff ever going back are nil, because the buyer has to pay the shipping. And then it takes weeks, if not months, to arrive. And then it only arrives if the buyer paid for tracked/signed delivery. Thus the cost to the buyer to get his 100% refund may be more than the cost of the item in the first place.

Once, I actually returned a CCTV camera expecting to never see or hear about it again, and then four months later got an email saying it'd arrived and a replacement sent. Could've knocked me over with a feather :)

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 10:09:55 pm »
They exist because people are willing to take a chance on "cheap."
This is indeed the point ;D
But also because it gives me access to Chinese IC recyclers. Go find me ISL21009 anywhere for any price.
(Well, OK, I found them for something like $25 each which is more than I'm gambling now and still can't be sure if legit).

I also bought some perfectly normal products from AE like photographic thread adapters and simple optics, no problem with that stuff. I do it because it would look weird if half of my purchases ended up in disputes :P

No, they've already accepted the stuff is dodgy and he should get the refund. The issue is that the vendor wants them returned. He probably doesn't but he knows that by asking for that (quite legitimately) the chances of the stuff ever going back are nil, because the buyer has to pay the shipping. And then it takes weeks, if not months, to arrive. And then it only arrives if the buyer paid for tracked/signed delivery. Thus the cost to the buyer to get his 100% refund may be more than the cost of the item in the first place.
In this case they offered to force the seller to pay the bill. But I would have to save that bill, send it to them, wait for the parcel to arrive, for the seller to confirm, maybe the seller wouldn't be happy that two ICs are cracked to see what's inside, that sort of drama ::)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2022, 10:15:27 pm »

So, your complaint has to be the cleanest, simplest, and most direct possible.
Yep.

I learned previously that AliExpress loves video evidence so tomorrow some poor soul in China will waste two minutes of his or her life watching me test eight voltage reference chips with a DMM. Roughly ±4mV spread, far out of spec, but I didn't even post the spec, just said it's supposed to be 5V :D
Then the soul will be rewarded for her patience with my beautiful collage. Check it out, it's a work of art :-DD

If this doesn't work then I'm buying an AK47 and a one way ticket to China >:D

Oh, and by the way, I learned that counterfeiting Intersil ICs is actually fair game. Because they have been bought out (by Renesas?) and whoever did it, they didn't bother refreshing the trademark registrations. So they are expired now. IANAL, but I'm no longer convinced that any IP infringement took place, just ordinary fraud. So I didn't even mention it in order to fit more important things in their 500 character limit.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 10:21:22 pm by magic »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2022, 10:33:33 pm »
[...]
In this case they offered to force the seller to pay the bill. But I would have to save that bill, send it to them, wait for the parcel to arrive, for the seller to confirm, maybe the seller wouldn't be happy that two ICs are cracked to see what's inside, that sort of drama ::)

I don't think two cracked ICs is going to be an issue in this case - OK, give him 25 cents each or something...  :D

It is actually not at all legitimate for seller to ask buyer to pay for the disputed goods to be shipped back.  Essentially, the legal situation is that the original contract has been broken (by seller), which has resulted in the current situation where seller has some property of his taking up space at the buyer's premises!

It's like if you rented a car, and it then breaks down during the trip -  the car is still owned by the rental company and they have to recover it after breaking their contract of providing a working vehicle to you...  your only obligation is to park it as safely and responsibly as practically possible before you abandon the car and continue your journey by other means!

According to AE's web site,  "We promise your money back if the item you received is not as described, or if your item is not delivered within the Buyer Protection period."   Furthermore, it states:  "The seller must comply with other relevant legal requirements (warranty, return, etc.) that may be applicable depending on your location as buyer. For instance, in most EU countries you will generally have a 2-year legal conformity warranty.

Thanks to the European Union (European directive 1999/44/EC), for any purchase in store or on the Internet from a professional seller, you benefit from a legal guarantee of conformity of at least 2 years, which allows you to ask the seller to repair or exchange the good, or if this proves impossible, the reimbursement of the sums paid.

Basically,  AliExpress and the seller don't have a leg to stand on legally and in principle you could keep annoying them for years by raising new cases for non-conformance for every individual IC on that roll, LOL!  :D

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2022, 10:41:50 pm »
BTW, they were supposed to be ISL21009 FGA voltage references so you would reasonably expect the cheapest bandgap rubbish if they are fake. Sure enough, I just opened one and it looks like Noopy's pics of REF01 so I guess it's REF02. There is even PMI logo on it, so I may be able to point it out.

I could power them up and nail them on tolerance and power consumption, but I feel like it's futile. However, REF02 sell for absolute peanuts on AliExpress (prolly recycled or fake, but not my problem) so I'm tempted to request the difference between what I paid and the going price of * REF02 and see what happens.

You may want to edit out the racist slur.

What I do from the start, let the seller know: I received this IC, this is what I measured (xV), it does not match the datasheet, show photo of DMM + datasheet, I will have to leave a 1 star review.
A reputable seller will try to work with you.

If you bought from a poorly rated seller then its a lot harder, and not worth the effort IMO. Assuming you spent <$20 on these, if you spent more, then next time do a test purchase before committing to a vendor.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2022, 10:59:26 pm »
It's like if you rented a car, and it then breaks down during the trip -  the car is still owned by the rental company and they have to recover it after breaking their contract of providing a working vehicle to you...  your only obligation is to park it as safely and responsibly as practically possible before you abandon the car and continue your journey by other means!
Well, right, it's like I rented a car, it ran a little slow and I started to suspect something may be fishy, so I cut out half of the car to find a lawnmower engine inside, and the owner should just accept the car back as-is 'cause it originally was his fault.
 :-DD

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2022, 11:16:19 pm »
Well, right, it's like I rented a car, it ran a little slow and I started to suspect something may be fishy, so I cut out half of the car to find a lawnmower engine inside, and the owner should just accept the car back as-is 'cause it originally was his fault.

Legally, the thinking is always in terms of actual damage caused to the injured party.   So, you destroyed a couple of his fake devices - but the devices are literally worthless, resale value zero - so no actual legal damage has actually occurred!   Whereas the damage that seller caused to you is completely real -  "liberating" the entire purchase price from your wallet under false pretences!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2022, 11:33:06 pm »
They aren't worthless, they are alternative implementations of ISL21009 with perhaps slightly worse performance and with a neat picture on them which traditionally appeared on ISL21009 and which doesn't mean anything because it surely isn't a registered trademark or anything of that sort :D

I'm kidding, but that's what they would tell you. There are no fakes on AliExpress, only quality issues :D

And in this case, it actually appears to be technically true. The part number is not standardized, the logo is not a trademark. Anyone can make chips like that. You think they have something to do with some other vendor's product under similar name? Oh well, silly you.
https://trademarks.justia.com/765/29/i-76529497.html

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2022, 12:43:07 am »
It is actually not at all legitimate for seller to ask buyer to pay for the disputed goods to be shipped back.

Check any advert and the chances are that it will say "Buyer pays return shipping". But regardless of that, they can still screw you over by insisting you pay the return shipping and then they refund you. That's an upfront cost you'll have to fight for, and they will quibble about the huge sum you quote for that shipping. But it's a two-way game: buyers often come up with spurious problems expecting the vendor to let them keep they thing rather than pay to have it shipped back. So you can see that having the punter pay for the shipping, at least initially, weeds out a lot of scamming from the other side.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2022, 04:58:11 am »
They aren't worthless, they are alternative implementations of ISL21009 with perhaps slightly worse performance and with a neat picture on them which traditionally appeared on ISL21009 and which doesn't mean anything because it surely isn't a registered trademark or anything of that sort :D
[...]

LOL! :D     I guess with a sufficiently open mind*), they could claim something like "the product does actually work for many use cases (including being a door stop in a doll house etc.), so it does not depart 100% from the description"!

*) A mind so open that the contents are in danger of falling out! :)

It is actually not at all legitimate for seller to ask buyer to pay for the disputed goods to be shipped back.

Check any advert and the chances are that it will say "Buyer pays return shipping". But regardless of that, they can still screw you over by insisting you pay the return shipping and then they refund you. That's an upfront cost you'll have to fight for, and they will quibble about the huge sum you quote for that shipping. But it's a two-way game: buyers often come up with spurious problems expecting the vendor to let them keep they thing rather than pay to have it shipped back. So you can see that having the punter pay for the shipping, at least initially, weeds out a lot of scamming from the other side.

What they are trying to catch there are the usual reasons for buyers sending stuff back....   they changed their mind,  bought by mistake,  dropped it on the floor, outright scam attempts, etc. etc.  In those cases, it is obviously right that buyer pays return shipping.  But this does not apply when buyer is well behaved, while seller is clearly and outrageously in breach of their obligations as defined by terms of the contract, which includes the item description! 

Since the contract is now broken, seller is still the legal owner of the goods and buyer is still the legal owner of the money that seller received in advance on the expectation that seller's part of the bargain would be fulfilled.  It beggars belief that seller should be entitled to get even more money from buyer at this point, given that they are already in possession of a pile of the buyer's cash that they are not entitled to??

The dispute team at AliExpress obviously know all this full well.   Their problem is to determine who is trying to scam who, based on the communications and the quality of the evidence presented.  That is all they have to go on, so putting in the time and getting that right is what it all boils down to!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2022, 09:59:59 am »
But this does not apply when buyer is well behaved

How do you know they are a well-behaved buyer? Scams work because other people are taken in, and the only reason you think well-behaved buyers are discernible is because you are one. From the seller's perspective it's completely the opposite, and they consider well-behaved sellers to be just as obvious to buyers.

One well-known scam on Ebay is to buy, say, a motherboard to replace the one you've broken (maybe screwed over the CPU pins when doing an upgrade). Then you send your old one back pretending it's the new one and complain that the vendor has sold you bad stuff. As the Ebay rep who only sees the buyers photos and has the vendors word that it was OK when sent out, honest, who are you going to believe? The vendor more often than not loses out in those cases.

Why should Aliexpress be different? Well, obviously, it is cheaper and the shipping is peanuts out so vendors can basically give the stuff away, but it costs a fortune to return. So vendors are better off writing off stuff instead of paying for returns. Given the toerags that populate this world, and that the majority of Aliexpress customers are there precisely to save a few bob, what are the chances that they are all going to be straight-up guys?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2022, 06:02:07 pm »
But this does not apply when buyer is well behaved

How do you know they are a well-behaved buyer?

I think we are having a violent agreement!  :D

That is indeed the question - who is "well behaved"?

To avoid looking like a scammer, evidence is everything, to influence the balance of probabilities your way.  Being clear and well documented (pictures, videos) just works!  Having a long history of buying stuff with no problems is also important!

That's why I keep banging on about the need to go above and beyond in preparing your complaint:   be super clear,  super well documented, lots of pictures and videos, make sure some show using the stuff on your desk / in your lab area (making you look more genuine).

At the end of the day, it is going to be a judgement call.   If you didn't communicate well,  or if your account is new, or if your account doesn't have a good track record of "well behaved buyer", you increase the risk of falling into either the 'scammer' or 'unreasonable idiot' category by default, because - as you correctly point out - there are a lot of scummy buyers as well as sellers!

Scams work because other people are taken in, and the only reason you think well-behaved buyers are discernible is because you are one. From the seller's perspective it's completely the opposite, and they consider well-behaved sellers to be just as obvious to buyers.

One well-known scam on Ebay is to buy, say, a motherboard to replace the one you've broken (maybe screwed over the CPU pins when doing an upgrade). Then you send your old one back pretending it's the new one and complain that the vendor has sold you bad stuff. As the Ebay rep who only sees the buyers photos and has the vendors word that it was OK when sent out, honest, who are you going to believe? The vendor more often than not loses out in those cases.

Why should Aliexpress be different? Well, obviously, it is cheaper and the shipping is peanuts out so vendors can basically give the stuff away, but it costs a fortune to return. So vendors are better off writing off stuff instead of paying for returns. Given the toerags that populate this world, and that the majority of Aliexpress customers are there precisely to save a few bob, what are the chances that they are all going to be straight-up guys?

I totally agree.   Most scammers are not geniuses, though (or they would be doing something else, lol).  There is a limit to how well they can keep up the charade against an opponent that's on the ball.

Hence, it can make sense to video the (un)packing of the box, showing the part numbers,  showing you turning it on, etc..   

I've recently had bad luck with two eBay cell phones in a row (both had internal tech issues, one was in a boot loop, the other had lost its wifi/bluetooth connectivity).  I had no problems whatsoever returning these items for a full refund,  with shipping paid by the seller...  but I have thousands of positive feedback over 20 years, and my complaints are always straightforward, to the point, and always includes pictures.

I recall once buying a heat gun from a Chinese seller on eBay.  He sent a 220V model with a US 115V plug on it...   To win that case,  I had to explain to both seller and eBay case managers why that idea was never going to work...    There was no way to ship it back economically even if it was an "honest mistake", and there was no way for me to make use of the item. - It was a total loss for the seller, and I threw it in the recycling.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2022, 06:28:48 pm »
Most scammers are not geniuses, though

Got to agree with you there - I reckon some people get taken in not because the scam is unobvious but because it's so obvious no-one would possibly try it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2022, 10:45:47 am »
New judgment has arrived.

Still not counterfeit, but apparently the defect is now considered more severe :D
So I get to keep my lot of ten eight >:D dodgy REF02 for $2 as requested :-+

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2022, 01:39:41 pm »

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I wonder why they seem so reluctant to make the "counterfeit" call. 

What might be happening is that they know that in a high proportion of purchases of that particular product from that seller, the customers are happy with their purchases and never complain!

So maybe they just stick with "Defective" for the ones that do complain...   and not worry so much about the silly Western obsession with "genuineness" and "trademarks" and other semi-religious nuttery!  :D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2022, 04:52:46 pm »
It appears that they have strict internal proof standards for that, and I would guess it may be for two reasons:
1. it always looks better for AliExpress if they don't have too many successful counterfeit claims :D
2. it's a ToS violation and it triggers penalties for the seller, which makes it Serious Business™ - more so than some random complaint that something is out of spec

I received more comprehensive (and more comprehensible) proof guide in another dispute two years ago, attached. It looks like they mean "counterfeit" in the narrow sense of trademark infringement and require:
1. a photograph of the infringing branding on the auction or on the product - that's why sellers routinely blur out logos on auction photos ;)
2. a proof that the branding is protected - "inspection or statement from the owner" whatever that is, dunno if a link to Intersil website or some trademark registry would suffice
3. evidence that the product is fake

The good news is that you don't really need any of that. You can post die pictures and get 90% or 100% (the previous case) refund based on "appearance not as described".

(More seriously, I also posted noise spectrum - that's the "parameters not as described" part.)
I think you have converted me - I will always select "item not as described" and just dump whatever evidence I have. None of that matters and it can only complicate the process.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 05:03:00 pm by magic »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2022, 05:22:48 pm »

So, does AliExpress let you enter "Parameter not as described", "Appearance not as described", etc.?  - or is that something the claims team made out of your complaint?

I like the idea of just comparing it with the datasheet, showing some parameters that it fails.  Nicely scientific and indisputable!  AliExpress can call it "defective" and be happy...  seller gets away with just refunding the customer instead of getting banned...   the customer is happy because he got refunded....   winners all round!  :D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2022, 05:48:12 pm »
That's what appears in their "judgments". I posted the buyer's options earlier.
It all makes no sense, which makes sense I guess, since it's Ali... ::)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2022, 06:18:44 pm »
That's what appears in their "judgments". I posted the buyer's options earlier.
It all makes no sense, which makes sense I guess, since it's Ali... ::)

Good outcome overall.

The world would definitely be worse without places like Ali,  just like it would be worse if all girls were "Good"!  :D

• Super Contributor
Re: AliExpress adventures
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2024, 07:30:25 pm »
Has 2023 just passed with no updates here?
Well, at least I began 2024 with new AliExpress scams :D

Scam 1. The photograph showed 3pcs of the item and had "3pcs" written on it. However, at the bottom of the description the seller wrote: "contents: 1pc". I was very tempted by this offer because 3pcs was exactly what I needed and other offers were either 1pc or 5pcs, both ending up costing me. So I ignored the description, assuming it was a copy-paste error when the seller created the offer. Surely no one would be stupid enough to actually try such blatant scam on AliExpress, right?

Wrong. The seller delivered 1pc and then insisted that this is exactly what I ordered. I got my 66% refund without problems, but I realized that the seller could make it harder by claiming that I received 3pcs - my only "evidence" was a photograph of the opened package. This gave me an idea to video record unpacking all AliExpress packages, which came right in time for:

Scam 2. I ordered an obscure discontinued IC from some dodgy seller and received a small cardboard box. This surprised me, because they normally send chips in envelopes. Turned out, the box was filled with some more cardboard and nothing else. I uploaded a video of opening the box and going through all the cardboard and got a refund right away.

Lesson: record opening packages from suspicious auctions, suspicious sellers, and packages that look suspicious. Or simply all packages, for a good measure.

To end on a positive note, I ordered about a dozen things on 11.11 and BW sales, from $1 USB cables to $100 optics, and everything except the above arrived without surprises.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2024, 08:33:50 pm »
Has 2023 just passed with no updates here?

In fact 2022 also. It is more than two years since the previous message.

I don't know why people focus on AliExpress here. They are just an order-taking platform for 3rd party vendors, no different to Amazon or Shopify.

I buy something from AliExpress probably at least once a month, often every week, and I've never had a problem. But then I look carefully at who the actual vendor is, and am mostly buying from the official Sipeed store, the official WCH store and so on, not some random vendor selling the same item as 20 other random vendors.

Lesson: record opening packages from suspicious auctions, suspicious sellers, and packages that look suspicious. Or simply all packages, for a good measure.

Possibly a good idea.

The only similar problem I've had to what you described was when I ordered a pack of two USA power strips from Amazon so I can plug my various items (often from AliExpress, where NZ plug is not usually an option) in using just one US->NZ adaptor for all devices, not one each.

The pack arrived with just one power strip in it.

The options to resolve the problem were weird. It was something like 1) return the faulty item to the USA at my own expense and they would send another one, or 2) dispose of the faulty item and they would issue a refund.

It seemed obviously better to get a full refund, keep and use the one power strip that arrived, and use the refund to make a new order (or not).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2024, 10:08:13 pm »
I don't know why people focus on AliExpress here.
Because it's a thread about AliExpress, documenting weird issues there and sometimes asking for advice.

I also buy various stuff on AE and most of it comes without issues or I wouldn't bother otherwise. This thread is about those "other" cases - sometimes I simply need stuff which is sold by "20 random vendors" ;) I stress that so far I have had 100% success rate with AE buyer protection, though on some occasions it took me several tries and some effort to figure out what they want from me.

The options to resolve the problem were weird. It was something like 1) return the faulty item to the USA at my own expense and they would send another one, or 2) dispose of the faulty item and they would issue a refund.
AE would be more reasonable in this case, as they have no problems with "keep it and get a partial refund" if you can explain what's missing or how the value is in any other way lower than declared by the seller.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2024, 06:53:10 pm »

I don't know why people focus on AliExpress here. They are just an order-taking platform for 3rd party vendors, no different to Amazon or Shopify.
:palm: The thread title might be a subtle clue… 

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2024, 10:36:53 pm »
Scam 1. The photograph showed 3pcs of the item and had "3pcs" written on it. However, at the bottom of the description the seller wrote: "contents: 1pc". I was very tempted by this offer because 3pcs was exactly what I needed and other offers were either 1pc or 5pcs, both ending up costing me. So I ignored the description, assuming it was a copy-paste error when the seller created the offer. Surely no one would be stupid enough to actually try such blatant scam on AliExpress, right?

Wrong. The seller delivered 1pc and then insisted that this is exactly what I ordered. I got my 66% refund without problems, but I realized that the seller could make it harder by claiming that I received 3pcs - my only "evidence" was a photograph of the opened package. This gave me an idea to video record unpacking all AliExpress packages, which came right in time for:

Why risk their rating and a bad review over a few dollars profit (assuming they are an established store)? Its likely them just using whatever photo they have on hand or a simple mistake. I get its frustrating but if there is any ambiguity at all, send the seller a message.
If its a high value item, ok, might be worth it for them. But as you learned, always record opening the high value packages.

See this seller, select 5pc and it still shows 10pc at the top: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012530737.html probably a mistake.

This sort of thing happens on amazon all the time btw, though obviously easier to get a refund there. Can happen the opposite way too, the listing might be for 10pc but priced at the cost of 1 item... seller loses out.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2024, 05:49:46 am »
IMO a deliberate scam, because no one else offers 3pcs and no one else has a photo with "3pcs" written on it, so it doesn't look like a copy-paste mistake.

They must have created this image themselves and made it the default photo so that the offer appears this way in search results (and that's why I ended up there). There are no options for different item counts (nor any other options) and "contains 1pc" is buried at bottom of the description.

They haven't removed or changed the listing after my refund request. And now that you mentioned store ratings, I checked their negative feedback and found that somebody else already complained about similar issue in another offer. Looks like it's their way of doing business. Their positive feedback ratio is 91%, btw, which is rather poor for AE.

Yeah, maybe I could have predicted it with more research in advance and perhaps should have asked for clarification, but I was in a hurry and naively assumed that there are some thresholds of malice and stupidity that no one would cross :-//

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2024, 01:43:41 pm »
Yesterday I had an order cancelled mid-way by Aliexpress itself, for something I ordered  a couple of weeks ago, and that was *apparently* showing some updates in parcel tracking. Their explaination was:
"For your security, this order has been closed and refunded due to an invalid tracking number provided by the seller. You'll receive a refund within 3-20 business days. We're sorry for any inconvenience caused and the seller will be warned according to platform regulation."

Offline HF8V

• !
    • geocities.ws/hf8v
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2024, 03:31:17 pm »
I had no problems with Aliexpress althought their bids are often deliberately bad discribed. Sometimes it is difficult to understand what you are really buying. But even in such case they refund me 50% money without problem and without need to resend product (osciloscope probe)...

Previously I bought things on polish Allegro and I can can assure you that any polish seller will never refund you any money, he would be argue for every PLN.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2024, 10:39:20 pm »
Yesterday I had an order cancelled mid-way by Aliexpress itself, for something I ordered  a couple of weeks ago, and that was *apparently* showing some updates in parcel tracking. Their explaination was:
"For your security, this order has been closed and refunded due to an invalid tracking number provided by the seller. You'll receive a refund within 3-20 business days. We're sorry for any inconvenience caused and the seller will be warned according to platform regulation."

That is a good sign if they are clamping down on fake tracking numbers.

I had no problems with Aliexpress althought their bids are often deliberately bad discribed. Sometimes it is difficult to understand what you are really buying. But even in such case they refund me 50% money without problem and without need to resend product (osciloscope probe)...

Previously I bought things on polish Allegro and I can can assure you that any polish seller will never refund you any money, he would be argue for every PLN.

What was the probe?
If its poorly described then buy from another seller. Should be tons of scope probes available with clearly labeled bandwidth, connector, etc.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline HF8V

• !
    • geocities.ws/hf8v
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2024, 11:29:40 pm »
I wanted another item but it seems I got osciloscope probe for twice much higher price. But I wrote to seller and he refund me half of money without problem. In Poland this would be problematic as I know some sellers. So Aliexpress is not so bad, but of course some sellers are not honest. Always read comments.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf