Author Topic: Can Fandoms Fix Tech's Gender Gap?  (Read 119698 times)

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
Re: Can Fandoms Fix Tech's Gender Gap?
« Reply #350 on: April 14, 2015, 01:23:27 pm »
I'm very bad at any kind of negotiation, it's part of my syndrome and I hate it.

Despite my motivation, it's hard to change that behavior in a world that still encourages an slavery attitude.

Fortunately I improved a bit after some years. But not enough. I learned to avoid to be exploited a bit, not enough.

And change some kind of personal issue can be very hard, specially if you are unable to pay tons of money
 one of those rare gems known as Good Therapists.

I think your words are a bit harsh you have no clue how fucked up an human mind can me. And I don't deserve it, so please refrain about your nonsense.

You don't need to pay a lot of money to a therapist to solve whatever underlying issues that make you a bad negotiator.  You've already stated that you recognize the problem, have made steps to overcome it, have made progress and still have a ways to go.  You're already 2/3rds of the way there.  You can solve these kinds of problems by immersing yourself in a role that requires you to confront these issues head on.

When I was young, I was shy and nervous.  I was terrible at public speaking, and I was terrible with conflict.  If someone came to me with a complaint, I'd want to solve it - even if I got the short end of the stick.  I was also not great at sales - I felt like a jerk bothering people with stuff that they hadn't asked me about first.

I tackled the problems head on.  When I was a teenager, I got a job selling vacuum cleaners door to door.  I dealt with angry people, rejection, negotiations and sales all day long.  I hated it with a passion, but it was an amazing learning experience at 18 years old.  I joined a group that forces you into public speaking.  I asked to go on sales calls and learned from successful salesman and negotiators and managers.  And in a pretty short time - problem solved.  I love public speaking and I do well with it.  I am good in negotiations and sales and I even enjoy the thrill of the hunt.  And I overcame my issues with conflict and I don't let such issues get to me personally.

Yes, it is hard to overcome such issues, but anyone can do it and there is no excuse not to do it.  And, yes, I do understand how f*cked up a human mind can be, because we all suffer from various phobias and social problems - and I was no exception.

Own the problem - and fix it.  Or complain about it online... whatever floats your boat :)  But only one of those courses of action will improve your future.
You're right that if you recognise you have a problem, it's good as it makes you aware of it and you can work on it.

However bear in mind the person you're responding to said they have a syndrome which is a major contributing factor. Now we don't know what this condition is, I'd probably guess it's autism related. Although the disability may make dealing with others difficult, the lack of confidence will make this worse.

Unfortunately there will be people who have a disability which make life difficult for them, whether it be blindness, inability to concentrate, dwarfism etc. Although I agree people should make allowances and help, there will be the odd person who takes advantage - life's a bitch I'm afraid but don't give up.

Therapy for this sort of thing should be covered by public health care which is an investment. If the therapy is a success, the patient can get a well paid job and pay the money back to the government in taxes and national insurance.

I'm ADHD.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:46:55 pm by Circuiteromalaguito »

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #351 on: April 14, 2015, 05:43:54 pm »
This strikes me as similar to arguments made by religious people. Either you believe and take it all on faith, or I can't explain it to you and you will just dismiss what I have to say. The existence of some kind of deity is so fundamental that if you don't accept it there is nothing I can do to convince you. To be honest I tend to agree, so there probably isn't much point making a counter argument.

I did not say take it on faith, I said that if you don't understand the fundamental part of my argument, then you're never going to see what builds upon that.  The idea that we are always negotiating is a fundamental aspect of our society, so if you disagree and feel that negotiation is only relevant in specific roles, then we are so far apart on fundamental truths that I don't see the point of making the case from that point.  And since you agree that we are always negotiating, I don't see the point in challenging it.

Having said that I think maybe we are not as far apart as you think. I am asking how wage negotiation specifically is relevant, not how general negotiation is. My example of the guy who negotiated exploding batteries was meant to show that the very narrow definition of trying to get the absolute best possible monetary deal isn't always the best strategy. There was another interesting example on the Silicon Valley TV show this week, which is based in reality. A start-up is offered huge amount of money and valued very highly, but decides to accept half the highest offer ($50m instead of $100m) because they know that later on an over-valuation will screw them. Come the second round of funding people will see that the first round investors paid too much and the company wasn't able to deliver that much growth, so better to start at a more realistic level.

::)

Salary negotiation is not a discrete skill.  It is a subset of negotiation in general - a skill which you admitted above is fundamental to our society and useful in every day life.

End of story - anything else is just trolling.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #352 on: April 14, 2015, 06:16:12 pm »
Sorry, but that just sounds ignorant to me. Circuiteromalaguito says he has a syndrome, but doesn't specify what. Well, I have a couple too and I can tell that it isn't just something you can "snap out of" or study/practice your way out of. It just doesn't work like that, the same way you can't just overcome a broken leg or cancer by willpower and training.

Of course you have a couple - nothing is your fault, and everyone should adapt to your situation.  You have stated in this thread you dislike negotiating, and are therefore in favor of everyone else being crippled so that you don't have to do what you dislike.  You stated in the eBay thread that it's not your fault that you are unaware of eBay policies, because they are hiding it from you - yet it is written right on the front page of eBay in exactly the same size font as the other text.  Virtually everyone in this thread has pointed out where you are wrong or just being silly, and even Dave has warned you and suggested you're bordering on trolling - but none of that matters, because you are right - you know what is best for everyone and nothing is your fault.

That is a serious personality flaw - the lack of personal responsibility. 

As for the guy who says he is not good at negotiation, I am not saying he doesn't have a problem or that he "just needs to snap out of it".  I am specifically referring to the problem with negotiating that he alluded to, and the fact that he has made progress but still has a way to go.  There is no pill one can take that will make one a better negotiator, and there is no psychological realization one will arrive that which will do it either.  Practicing that specific skill makes one better at it - just as practicing *anything* makes one better at it.

You are basically condemning large numbers of people to low wages because you think they should have a particular skill, which is largely unrelated to their value as a human being or as an employee in many jobs. Your "solution" is basically to "man up". It's insulting. I'm lucky in that I can negotiate pretty well, but at the same time couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag. People tell me stupid stuff like "just join a gym" or "you look fine". They manage to both imply that somehow it's my fault and that it can't be that bad.

You acknowledged above that negotiation is a fundamental part of our society, and it is absolutely something that can be learned and practiced and anyone can become better in.  If someone elects not to improve themselves in this way, they have no standing to complain that they got left out.  And expecting people to be responsible for their own development is not insulting at all - it is life.  Wanting everyone else to be held back so you can not feel left out is what is insulting.  You say you can't fight - not sure what that means, but it appears you are self conscious about perhaps being small.  Changing one's body shape is extremely difficult, but it's possible.  I am living proof.  So yes, if you *choose* not to do something about it, then it is absolutely your fault and I have no sympathy.  But joining a gym and exercising and learning about nutrition and eating is hard... better to just blame the rest of society for size and strength being a defining characteristic of males  ::)

It's even worse for women because if they do take the advice and take on more masculine qualities they get labelled as a bitch or bossy.

You've repeatedly made this claim and nobody has agreed with you yet (don't let that dissuade you - anyone who doesn't see things your way doesn't just have different experiences or opinions - it just means they are wrong... and if everyone disagrees with you like in this thread, it just means everyone else is wrong). 

My girlfriend is in medical drug sales.  She is a great negotiator, she is strong willed and is a no-bullshit boss of her team.  She is also very successful.  You are the only one who has applied labels like "bossy" and "bitch" to those qualities.  It seems you are the only one on this thread who is intimidated by such women. 

Sorry Corp, you are part of the problem.

Yes, everyone who doesn't agree with you is "the problem" and no matter how many people here disagree with you, they are all just wrong.

Sorry - at this point you are just trolling, and I have a business to run and don't have another 20 minutes to spent on this thread.  You will never take responsibility for the things you are deficient in and you will never accept when you are mistaken.  There it no point pressing the issue with you because you are just trolling now.  I think you have done yourself a huge disservice in this thread and even Dave has pointed it out.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #353 on: April 14, 2015, 06:33:23 pm »
I was hoping that the ad-homs would die back now dannyf is on sabbatical, but I guess not. You keep mis-characterising my position. I won't bother speculating why.

I stand by what I wrote. Anyone with an open mind can read it and decide for themselves.

I have watched you resort of ad-homs numerous times in this thread - I believe it was Zapta you called a "lunatic", and you bashed Zapta and dannyf numerous times calling them crazy or right wingers or something - all the while complaining about name calling.  If you can't stand the heat, and all that.

I don't see what position is being mischaracterized... it seems to me you say things but when called on them you change your position (like challenging negotiating as being important to us all and then saying you agree that's likely true).  That is why it appears you are just trolling.

I am sure you are a nice guy in person - but in this thread it most definitely comes across like you have some areas you are self conscious about and feel it is everyone else's job to adapt to your needs, not the other way around.  Life just doesn't work like that and people who can adapt can prosper, especially if you're in the upper part of the intellectual bell curve, which most on here almost surely are.

I know quite a few intelligent and successful women and, frankly, it's insulting that you label some with "bossy" and "bitch" when that is the furthest thing from my personal and professional experience.  And I employ a majority of women compared to men... actually we're about 2/3rd women in my business, especially at the managerial level.  So tossing bombs like "you're part of the problem" pretty much says everything about your perspective and the accuracy of your insight on this matter, I'm afraid.

Anyway, this thread has turned into a comedy (or a tragedy, depending on your POV) and I have better things to do - feel free to have the last word.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #354 on: April 14, 2015, 07:51:31 pm »
Having said that I think maybe we are not as far apart as you think. I am asking how wage negotiation specifically is relevant, not how general negotiation is.
Negotiation is a generic life skill along with others such as listening to others.

My example of the guy who negotiated exploding batteries was meant to show that the very narrow definition of trying to get the absolute best possible monetary deal isn't always the best strategy. There was another interesting example on the Silicon Valley TV show this week, which is based in reality. A start-up is offered huge amount of money and valued very highly, but decides to accept half the highest offer ($50m instead of $100m) because they know that later on an over-valuation will screw them. Come the second round of funding people will see that the first round investors paid too much and the company wasn't able to deliver that much growth, so better to start at a more realistic level.
Now you're talking about making engineering and business decisions in addition to negotiation.

You are basically condemning large numbers of people to low wages because you think they should have a particular skill, which is largely unrelated to their value as a human being or as an employee in many jobs.
You're talking about denying those with a skill (negotiation) to demonstrate it at a job interview, just because you believe women who are good at it can be seen to be bossy and bitchy, based on one study which wasn't even scientific. No one here has said women who are good negotiators are bossy and bitchy and even if some people think that way who cares? The women in that study still prospered anyway.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #355 on: April 15, 2015, 07:33:25 am »

I'm very bad at any kind of negotiation, it's part of my syndrome and I hate it.

Despite my motivation, it's hard to change that behavior in a world that still encourages an slavery attitude.

Fortunately I improved a bit after some years. But not enough. I learned to avoid to be exploited a bit, not enough.

And change some kind of personal issue can be very hard, specially if you are unable to pay tons of money
 one of those rare gems known as Good Therapists.

I think your words are a bit harsh you have no clue how fucked up an human mind can me. And I don't deserve it, so please refrain about your nonsense.

You don't need to pay a lot of money to a therapist to solve whatever underlying issues that make you a bad negotiator.  You've already stated that you recognize the problem, have made steps to overcome it, have made progress and still have a ways to go.  You're already 2/3rds of the way there.  You can solve these kinds of problems by immersing yourself in a role that requires you to confront these issues head on.

When I was young, I was shy and nervous.  I was terrible at public speaking, and I was terrible with conflict.  If someone came to me with a complaint, I'd want to solve it - even if I got the short end of the stick.  I was also not great at sales - I felt like a jerk bothering people with stuff that they hadn't asked me about first.

I tackled the problems head on.  When I was a teenager, I got a job selling vacuum cleaners door to door.  I dealt with angry people, rejection, negotiations and sales all day long.  I hated it with a passion, but it was an amazing learning experience at 18 years old.  I joined a group that forces you into public speaking.  I asked to go on sales calls and learned from successful salesman and negotiators and managers.  And in a pretty short time - problem solved.  I love public speaking and I do well with it.  I am good in negotiations and sales and I even enjoy the thrill of the hunt.  And I overcame my issues with conflict and I don't let such issues get to me personally.

Yes, it is hard to overcome such issues, but anyone can do it and there is no excuse not to do it.  And, yes, I do understand how f*cked up a human mind can be, because we all suffer from various phobias and social problems - and I was no exception.

Own the problem - and fix it.  Or complain about it online... whatever floats your boat :)  But only one of those courses of action will improve your future.
You're right that if you recognise you have a problem, it's good as it makes you aware of it and you can work on it.

However bear in mind the person you're responding to said they have a syndrome which is a major contributing factor. Now we don't know what this condition is, I'd probably guess it's autism related. Although the disability may make dealing with others difficult, the lack of confidence will make this worse.

Unfortunately there will be people who have a disability which make life difficult for them, whether it be blindness, inability to concentrate, dwarfism etc. Although I agree people should make allowances and help, there will be the odd person who takes advantage - life's a bitch I'm afraid but don't give up.

Therapy for this sort of thing should be covered by public health care which is an investment. If the therapy is a success, the patient can get a well paid job and pay the money back to the government in taxes and national insurance.

I'm ADHD.

Really? Because I'm ADHD and amazingly great at negotiations (I got a dealer to sell a car to my ex at 10% below cost a couple of years back), awesome at public speaking (took first in regionals every year from 1st grade on in a Poetry, Prose and Monologue competition) and fantastic with sales (I started an ISP at 16 which I built up by hand into a thriving company).

The way you made out your "disorder" I thought you were talking about ass-burger's syndrome, not ADHD.

The thing about ADHD is, you only have trouble focusing and following through with things you don't enjoy. So obviously you don't enjoy negotiating. A lot of people don't. You just have to work harder at it. ADHD doesn't inherently make you worse at it.

But, the things you actually enjoy doing, well, you have a distinct advantage over non-ADHD people and should try to capitalize on that.

So, grab some amphetamine and keep working on your negotiating. You'll get there, I promise.

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #356 on: April 15, 2015, 08:46:10 am »
Really? Because I'm ADHD and amazingly great at negotiations (I got a dealer to sell a car to my ex at 10% below cost a couple of years back), awesome at public speaking (took first in regionals every year from 1st grade on in a Poetry, Prose and Monologue competition) and fantastic with sales (I started an ISP at 16 which I built up by hand into a thriving company).

The way you made out your "disorder" I thought you were talking about ass-burger's syndrome, not ADHD.

The thing about ADHD is, you only have trouble focusing and following through with things you don't enjoy. So obviously you don't enjoy negotiating. A lot of people don't. You just have to work harder at it. ADHD doesn't inherently make you worse at it.

But, the things you actually enjoy doing, well, you have a distinct advantage over non-ADHD people and should try to capitalize on that.

So, grab some amphetamine and keep working on your negotiating. You'll get there, I promise.
I thought that too but didn't say anything because I'm no expert. All I know is I've had similar mental health problems in the past and Asperger Syndrome has been ruled out but not ADHD which is still a possibility but I'm coping at the moment so it's not an issue.

Perhaps he's been misdiagnosed?

Another possibility is other disorders such as social anxiety and depression which can have other negative effects on one's personality and abilities. The Wikipedia article says half of people with ADHD face social rejection by their peers, which is bound to result in other disorders such as social anxiety and depression which may make things such as negotiation difficult.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder

Either way we can't diagnose someone over the Internet.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #357 on: April 15, 2015, 08:43:13 pm »

I thought that too but didn't say anything because I'm no expert. All I know is I've had similar mental health problems in the past and Asperger Syndrome has been ruled out but not ADHD which is still a possibility but I'm coping at the moment so it's not an issue.

Perhaps he's been misdiagnosed?

Another possibility is other disorders such as social anxiety and depression which can have other negative effects on one's personality and abilities. The Wikipedia article says half of people with ADHD face social rejection by their peers, which is bound to result in other disorders such as social anxiety and depression which may make things such as negotiation difficult.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder

Either way we can't diagnose someone over the Internet.

ADHD is very complex, I also have maturity issues. Some people overcome certain difficulties because their life and personality allowed it.

I showed my diagnosis to some mental health and pedagogy professionals and they say is very good and complete one. Anyway, I'm OK with more reviews but that requires MONEY.

I don't want others adapt to me, I want to improve. But I get demotivated even on things I like A LOT!

Some ADHD people are extrovert, others are introverted and look a bit autistic. Some have autism-like traits but became shameless and extrovert, despite even their humour can be a bit foolish. I can be extrovert if feeling comfortable but end annoying, others I can be very introvert if anxious or annoyed (and not expressing my opinions).

Feel free to reply on my ADHD forum thread. I would like to know other ADHD people and even your unique behaviour as ADHD, like being a good negotiator!

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #358 on: April 18, 2015, 02:16:30 am »
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 02:19:41 am by Tallie »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #359 on: April 18, 2015, 03:04:34 pm »

It doesn't matter, perception is everything. We are going to have here an election season and one of the candidates which is a'wife of'  is likely to play heavily the gender card.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #360 on: April 18, 2015, 05:02:48 pm »
I personally think a push to get the average level of science and technology education up a few notches would improve the situation. Give EVERYONE the requisite knowledge to at least see these things aren't just useful but can be interesting and (at times) fun to work on and the situation will start to level out naturally.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #361 on: April 18, 2015, 05:03:58 pm »

It doesn't matter, perception is everything. We are going to have here an election season and one of the candidates which is a'wife of'  is likely to play heavily the gender card.
When I was younger. I worked at a supermarket and wouldn't have been surprised if the women there generally got more per hour than the men did. People working at the checkouts got a higher hourly rate than those who stacked shelves because it required training and the most of the checkout staff were female as the role required less physical strength. On the other hand, the men probably worked longer hours and the women were more likely to be part time so men would've got more in their pay packets than the women.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #362 on: April 18, 2015, 05:37:37 pm »
I personally think a push to get the average level of science and technology education up a few notches would improve the situation. Give EVERYONE the requisite knowledge to at least see these things aren't just useful but can be interesting and (at times) fun to work on and the situation will start to level out naturally.

Everyone? Most people couldn't care less about STEM.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #363 on: April 18, 2015, 06:03:42 pm »
Everyone? Most people couldn't care less about STEM.

And I'll admit most never will. But how many more people would have at least a genuine layman's interest if they came out of high school with a more thorough understanding of basic maths and science and the practical applications, had a decent grounding to build that interest upon?

One major problem is teachers don't get kids interested in a field. Unfortunately the only way to fix that would involve hiring teachers who actually care about the subject they're teaching...
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #364 on: April 18, 2015, 06:37:09 pm »
I agree, improving education in STEM subjects is a good idea but it wouldn't necessarily even out the male:female ratio, especially given girls generally do better at school anyway.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #365 on: April 18, 2015, 06:59:37 pm »
I agree, improving education in STEM subjects is a good idea but it wouldn't necessarily even out the male:female ratio, especially given girls generally do better at school anyway.

It'd take a while, and you'll never get a 50/50 distribution in any field if it isn't achieved artificially with quotas etc, but (I believe) it would even out the playing field and help move towards a more representative and sustainable equilibrium. It would also not only produce more engineer, scientists and coders* as a very much needed short term benefit, by pushing it to everyone you'd just naturally end up with more "minorities" in fields they are... given the impression isn't for them no matter their potential, more men in certain skilled fields dominated by women, a general population more capable of judging policies related to STEM subjects**, and no way for certain groups to whine that "that should be my job but I'm not black/have a penis/like the opposite sex..." and be taken at all seriously.

*I'm still not convinced programming is science or engineering even if it is related.

**Which I guess for politicians of all stances would be a bad thing.
~Albert Einstein

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #366 on: April 18, 2015, 08:16:20 pm »
...but (I believe) it would even out the playing field and help move towards a more representative and sustainable equilibrium.

I think your goal is to even the score, not the playing field. :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #367 on: April 18, 2015, 09:57:47 pm »
...but (I believe) it would even out the playing field and help move towards a more representative and sustainable equilibrium.

I think your goal is to even the score, not the playing field. :)

Nope, not at all. The course of action I think would work best would at least really help a serious problem, the decline in interest in the areas that shape the world. The results beyond that are not a goal but what I think would happen. Given long enough. Unfortunately longer than a single term...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:26:08 pm by Mechanical Menace »
~Albert Einstein

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #368 on: April 19, 2015, 08:40:24 am »
Really? Because I'm ADHD and amazingly great at negotiations (I got a dealer to sell a car to my ex at 10% below cost a couple of years back)
If you think you are great at negotiations because of that reason, you might have another disorder than ADHD.

I personally know two guys that have been diagnosed with ADHD in the past, they behave like every healthy uncircumcised guy around.
If they don't do some sports, they get somewhat restless, like many others. ADHD is fake.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/6/adhd-fake-disorder-neurologist-turned-author-says/

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #369 on: April 19, 2015, 09:52:02 am »

Really? Because I'm ADHD and amazingly great at negotiations (I got a dealer to sell a car to my ex at 10% below cost a couple of years back)
If you think you are great at negotiations because of that reason, you might have another disorder than ADHD.

I personally know two guys that have been diagnosed with ADHD in the past, they behave like every healthy uncircumcised guy around.
If they don't do some sports, they get somewhat restless, like many others. ADHD is fake.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/6/adhd-fake-disorder-neurologist-turned-author-says/

Well, that was just an example that sprang to mind, but I'm not sure how it disprove's my assertion.

As for the rest of your comment, ADHD isn't about being restless and I'm not sure what playing sports has to do with it, other than getting excess energy out, which again, has nothing to do with ADHD.

Anyone who says the disorder is fake clearly doesn't have it. Granted, it has been over diagnosed in the past, especially by overworked GPs to kids who are just being kids.

I was diagnosed at 6, right at the peak of the crazy. Obviously my parent's were wary, so they spent money they didn't have to get me seen by the (at the time) leading authority on the East Coast regarding ADHD. His research laid the groundwork for much of what we know about the actions of the disorder on the brain.

He wrote things too. Only his works went into peer reviewed medical journals instead of sensationalist books.

Perhaps this video (from a doctor) will further clarify my point:

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #370 on: April 19, 2015, 04:14:57 pm »
Yeah, it's not like the media treats them any differently to men...

Let's see how many we can cross off the board. About half have already been used since she announced her candidacy.

It's nothing to do with sexism. People call Nicola Sturgeon Krankie because they think she's like the one of the Krankies, an 80 Scottish comedy act:

Of course Hillary Clinton is going to be accused of following her husbands policies because he was president first. No one said that about Margaret Thatcher.

What zapta is saying is she's using the fact that she wants to be the first female president in a similar manner to Obama being the first black president when gender or race shouldn't come into it.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #371 on: April 19, 2015, 07:04:23 pm »
As for the rest of your comment, ADHD isn't about being restless and I'm not sure what playing sports has to do with it, other than getting excess energy out, which again, has nothing to do with ADHD.

Anyone who says the disorder is fake clearly doesn't have it. Granted, it has been over diagnosed in the past, especially by overworked GPs to kids who are just being kids.

I was diagnosed at 6, right at the peak of the crazy.
My vision is only based on those 2 examples and what the media says. I'm no doctor or researcher.
Maybe I can state it otherwise: Everything mainstream people, mainstream media and overconsumerist healthsystems tell about ADHD is fake.
This is not an attempt to offend you.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #372 on: April 19, 2015, 07:43:34 pm »

That's a great source of information!  I always read about serious stuff on sensationalist media. I also read The Onion and The Sun for.my research. What about do you think about illuminati and reptilians? That's very important!

You never had ADHD or know properly a person with it. Your reply is nonsense and toxic. I suffered being undiagnosed ADHD and I'm now 30yo, diagnosed a year ago.

Thanks of ideas like yours, we are often put into shame and not receive a proper therapy, and public healthcare ignores us. Many idiots in healthcare believe that crap, unfortunately. :palm:

You are trolling about ADHD. This is very serious. My girlfriend has practices at a minors' center (they theft, were drug dealers and some.even killed someone) and many of them have severe mental issues, many of them show very immature and ADHD behaviours. Some people are unable to cope with ADHD because biological and social problem and have a very wrong life.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #373 on: April 19, 2015, 08:22:04 pm »
I think you missed the point. The entire article is about her looks. That should give you a hint.

You mean like this

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/republicans/a/Chris-Christie-Jokes.htm

Dianne Feinstein is a woman and people take her seriously so it must be something else.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #374 on: April 19, 2015, 08:37:53 pm »
People always take the piss out of Ed Miliband for looking like the animated character Wallace but he doesn't whine about it; he joins in with the banter.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10990922/Ed-Miliband-jokes-that-he-looks-like-Wallace.html

Don't want this sort of shit? Don't become a politician: whether you're male, female, black or white, people will always take the piss out of how you look, talk, walk etc.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:28:43 pm by Hero999 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf