Author Topic: Crazy claims made by electronics/electrical salesmen  (Read 10940 times)

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Crazy claims made by electronics/electrical salesmen
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 10:09:10 pm »
Then let's build millions of skyscrapers to store it long term as potential energy, that will cool the planet  :)

P.S. Did you just suddenly relocate from Antarctica to Poland?  :o

Yes it was too cold there.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2018, 10:13:14 pm »
Or we could save that PV energy into batteries, a zillion powerwalls, climate change solved.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 10:29:16 pm »
Then let's build millions of skyscrapers to store it long term as potential energy, that will cool the planet  :)

Concrete - dug up components, highly exothermic reaction
Steel - dug up ore and fossil fuel, highly exothermic processing

Or we could save that PV energy into batteries, a zillion powerwalls, climate change solved.

Again, will degrade to heat, just a matter of time.

Clearly non-starters  :palm:
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 10:30:45 pm »
Are you on some good stuff?

A PV that's (connected to a circuit) generating 1kW has to be cooler than if left unconnected, right?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:34:44 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2018, 10:34:35 pm »
Nope, PV is inefficient, significant I^2R heating.
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2018, 10:35:13 pm »
Overunity!  :bullshit: if you remove energy @1kW there's 1kW less of heating at the PV, no?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:42:06 pm by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2018, 10:36:22 pm »
Nope, just taken up in the poor efficiency of the panel!
Best Regards, Chris

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2018, 10:44:08 pm »
Ok, I like this, but it's too late. Tomorrow more  :) good night!

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2018, 10:46:06 pm »
Good night, but please, no.  :palm:
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2018, 11:12:46 pm »
And if I point a 100 gigawatt laser to the space and turn it on?

Meanwhile on another planet...

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle, Gyro

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2018, 11:20:23 pm »

P.S. Did you just suddenly relocate from Antarctica to Poland?  :o

Yes it was too cold there.
Coming soon! Company from Poland offers smokings for everyone! Poor penguins.

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 12:04:01 am »
More recently I walked into a vaccuum cleaner store. He did not sell Dyson, but sold Chinese brands instead. I asked why and he said the Dysons are rubbish - they break easily - that is why he does not sell them. We went out of business soon after. :palm:

He's not wrong, besides the portables which are actually decent, Dyson vacuums are shit.

It's true, for that price, you're paying for the brand, but they're not that bad quality.

The person in that video seems pretty clueless about vacuum cleaners and talks far too much. I had to keep skipping past all his attempts at humour and talking nonsense. Cylinder vacuums normally don't have any carpet brush motor at all. At best, there's a wheel which moves the brush. Dyson has improved the design by adding one, even if it's only powered by an air motor, which would give more torque, when the head is pushed up against the carpet, as more air would flow through it. The upright model has a 230VDC electric motor to drive the brush. Adding a valve to limit the maximum vacuum is done to allow airflow through the motor, even if the tube is blocked, otherwise it will overheat.

I am surprised it uses a Panasonic motor though. I thought the new models have a switched reluctance brushless motor. It's obviously not all models, possibly only the European ones.

My mum has two Dyson vacuums: a portable, which ihas been very reliable and an upright one. The only problem she's had was the carpet brush motor failing in the upright model. She contacted Dyson and they sent a new carpet brush free of charge, even though the warranty period had long elapsed.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2018, 12:09:06 am »
I get the sense that there's a wide discrepancy between the European and American markets for vacuum cleaners. The canister vacuums I have used since the 1980s have all had an electrical wire inside the hose that mates with the carpet brush. It is used not only to turn the bristles but also for lighting, since you want to be able to see when you vacuum under furniture.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2018, 12:20:42 am »
It's true, for that price, you're paying for the brand, but they're not that bad quality.

The person in that video seems pretty clueless about vacuum cleaners and talks far too much. I had to keep skipping past all his attempts at humour and talking nonsense. Cylinder vacuums normally don't have any carpet brush motor at all. At best, there's a wheel which moves the brush. Dyson has improved the design by adding one, even if it's only powered by an air motor, which would give more torque, when the head is pushed up against the carpet, as more air would flow through it. The upright model has a 230VDC electric motor to drive the brush. Adding a valve to limit the maximum vacuum is done to allow airflow through the motor, even if the tube is blocked, otherwise it will overheat.

I am surprised it uses a Panasonic motor though. I thought the new models have a switched reluctance brushless motor. It's obviously not all models, possibly only the European ones.

My mum has two Dyson vacuums: a portable, which ihas been very reliable and an upright one. The only problem she's had was the carpet brush motor failing in the upright model. She contacted Dyson and they sent a new carpet brush free of charge, even though the warranty period had long elapsed.
You don't know who AvE is?

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2018, 03:09:16 am »
We have a Dyson DC17 Animal and we like it.  Just gave it a bit of a refurb, new belt and filters and disassembled and cleaned the vortex chamber to get the pet smell out as SWMBO is now using this for her small cleaning company.  If I must admit, it has sat in the garage for a few years.  It developed an issue that SWMBO wanted looked at and I procrastinated too much, so she tossed it into the garage and bought a replacement.  I pulled it out when she said she wanted to buy a vacuum cleaner instead of using the customer's.  $31 for 6 belts and a filter set and some of my time for cleaning against $179 for another vac.  She's happy so I'm happy. ^-^
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2018, 03:26:05 am »
Around 1983, I walked into electrical store in Randwick in Sydney after being attracted by a big sign says "The Compact Disc is Here!" I walked in and the salesmen told me the CD players spin the discs around at 50,000 kilometres per hour."  :-DD

More recently I walked into a vaccuum cleaner store. He did not sell Dyson, but sold Chinese brands instead. I asked why and he said the Dysons are rubbish - they break easily - that is why he does not sell them. We went out of business soon after. :palm:

I am interested know know other fairy stories told by salesmen over the years to those of us who are not easily fooled, especially when it comes to electronics. I have many more experiences, but these two stood out in my memory.

I found a Dyson in a hard rubbish collection once and couldn;t resist the temptation so I brought it and the accessories home. The motor needed a new set of brushes which I was able to purchase from ebay quite cheaply and it has been going ever since ! Nothing has broken since and you get the odd blockage in the turbo head but you can easily take it apart and clean it. The trouble with the cheap imitation bagless vacs is they are not the same as the dyson as they still have a filter that gets clogged up by dust and debris. I think some of the cheaper dysons also have a filter like this as well.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2018, 03:50:40 am »
Around 1983, I walked into electrical store in Randwick in Sydney after being attracted by a big sign says "The Compact Disc is Here!" I walked in and the salesmen told me the CD players spin the discs around at 50,000 kilometres per hour."  :-DD

I am interested know know other fairy stories told by salesmen over the years to those of us who are not easily fooled, especially when it comes to electronics. I have many more experiences, but these two stood out in my memory.

I found a Dyson in a hard rubbish collection once and couldn;t resist the temptation so I brought it and the accessories home. The motor needed a new set of brushes which I was able to purchase from ebay quite cheaply and it has been going ever since ! Nothing has broken since and you get the odd blockage in the turbo head but you can easily take it apart and clean it. The trouble with the cheap imitation bagless vacs is they are not the same as the dyson as they still have a filter that gets clogged up by dust and debris. I think some of the cheaper dysons also have a filter like this as well.

All vacuums have (or should have) an outlet filter. You can't filter microscopic particles like fine dust or microbes cyclonically since they are lighter than air. If you can't see it, it means they've hidden it away so you can't clean or replace it. >:D :--
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2018, 05:00:10 am »
I have 2 Hoover upright vacuum cleaners, and a cylinder electrolux as well. Did not buy any of them, got them all as broken or thrown out and simply did filter changes and new belts on them, and new hoses as needed. As the uprights use a paper bag filter, and I got a pack or two with each of them I did not need to buy new filters either, but the generic ones are ultra cheap, and work well. the cylinder just has to clean the washable filters in there, and clean the dust out of the internal HEPA filter packs, along with minor repairs. Did buy a pack of the large paper filters that it uses, along with an universal cloth filter bag so that I can use it as a wet vacuum as well as dry.

Then in the garage there are another 2 free vacuums, gotten as "not working" where they just needed the pleated filter after the cyclone cleaned, and the rest of the unit cleaned as well. They are the car interior vacuum cleaners, because they are small enough to get into the car easily. Funny thing is that in most vacuum cleaners the motor block is almost always one of 4 variants, and that they are available as spare parts from the appliance spares place for a lot cheaper than a new vacuum. Even more the power rating on the case has absolutely no relation to the motor power, they all are at around the 300-500VA level in the motor department, which you can see from the use of the thin cord on the vacuum.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2018, 05:34:18 am »
Back in 1985 we bought an Electrolux barrrel vacuum cleaner for $500 which was a fair bit in those days. After about 5 years the magic smoke escaped out of the motorised rotating brush thing on the sucky end and seeing a whole lot of smoke came out of the barrel part I took it apart to see what was wrong. Found it was okay, the power head was burnt out, not the main motor. The barrel assembly needed two large pop rivets and a triple jointed wrist to get it back together again. Took it to this crowd https://www.godfreys.com.au/ to reassemble. Picked it up a week later and it never sounded the same as before. Six months later it quit completely so I opened it up again and it turned out they stole the good, hardly used motor out of my machine and put in a crap one with worn out non-replaceable bearings. Doubtless they would have sold my motor as a new one for someone else’s repair. Godfreys are a disreputable and dishonest company. Have nothing to do with them. https://www.godfreys.com.au/
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:35:51 am by Circlotron »

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2018, 12:50:38 pm »

All vacuums have (or should have) an outlet filter. You can't filter microscopic particles like fine dust or microbes cyclonically since they are lighter than air. If you can't see it, it means they've hidden it away so you can't clean or replace it. >:D :--

You are right. There are some extra fine particle filters that can be replaced if need be but they rarely get clogged up like those cheap arse 'bagless' vacs.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2018, 03:03:43 pm »
Power fed down to the brush head has been quite common on expensive vacuum cleaners for decades, so it might not be AvE who is clueless here. He complains too much about using air motors for the brush head. Miele have used them for years, and they work well. Some people don't like the way the brush rotor stops when you block the air flow, but if there's no air flow there's no point in spinning the brush anyway.
The problem is not that they use a Panasonic module, but that they use a rather low end one. Panasonic vacuum cleaners spread over a wide range of prices. This does not look the module from one of the better ones, which it should be in a $500 appliance.
Those expensive battery powered Dyson vacuum cleaners with "digtial" motors seem to have an appalling reliability record. Maybe using a cheap Panasonic module is actually a good thing. :-\

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2018, 04:32:59 pm »
Those expensive battery powered Dyson vacuum cleaners with "digtial" motors seem to have an appalling reliability record. Maybe using a cheap Panasonic module is actually a good thing. :-\
The part that tends to fail is (of course) the battery itself. I rebuilt one a few months back and I was surprised that they used really cheap 18650s - only 1.5Ah as compared to 2.2Ah for the replacements. (I actually added a 6S2P pack in parallel with the existing 6S1P pack.) It was one of the first ones so I think they purposely crippled it in order to sell an "upgraded" version a few years later.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2018, 09:01:53 pm »
The part that tends to fail is (of course) the battery itself. I rebuilt one a few months back and I was surprised that they used really cheap 18650s - only 1.5Ah as compared to 2.2Ah for the replacements. (I actually added a 6S2P pack in parallel with the existing 6S1P pack.) It was one of the first ones so I think they purposely crippled it in order to sell an "upgraded" version a few years later.
Pissed off owners I know, with a dead Dyson just outside warranty, seem to have no problem with the battery.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2018, 09:15:53 pm »
You don't know who AvE is?
No. Any reason why I should? I don't watch this kind of thing very often.

Power fed down to the brush head has been quite common on expensive vacuum cleaners for decades, so it might not be AvE who is clueless here. He complains too much about using air motors for the brush head. Miele have used them for years, and they work well. Some people don't like the way the brush rotor stops when you block the air flow, but if there's no air flow there's no point in spinning the brush anyway.
You have a point. I'm not very familiar with cylinder vacuums, certainly not the expensive ones. My home is mostly carpeted and my parents' house is so we've always had upright vacuums..

The problem is not that they use a Panasonic module, but that they use a rather low end one. Panasonic vacuum cleaners spread over a wide range of prices. This does not look the module from one of the better ones, which it should be in a $500 appliance.
The motor didn't look that bad. I've seen worse and I don't see the big deal about it lacking epoxy: most motors don't have it.

Pissed off owners I know, with a dead Dyson just outside warranty, seem to have no problem with the battery.
And if they had any sense, they'd return it for a replacement or repair. Being outside of warranty means sod all, especially in the UK where consumer law states a product should last for a reasonable length of time, for its cost.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2018, 10:36:11 pm »
And if they had any sense, they'd return it for a replacement or repair. Being outside of warranty means sod all, especially in the UK where consumer law states a product should last for a reasonable length of time, for its cost.
Most people don't live in the UK.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf