Author Topic: DigiKey - Access to this page has been denied  (Read 758 times)

Offline floobydustTopic starter

• Super Contributor
DigiKey - Access to this page has been denied
« on: May 15, 2024, 04:33:38 am »
DigiKey stupid bot check!  :rant:
"At DigiKey, we're big fans of Robots." "Our website, however, is still just for humans. Please click and hold the button below to verify you are one."

I want 10 seconds of my life back and sore finger EVERYTIME it shows up. My lawyer bills out well over $1 for that 10 seconds of nothing! A terrible website, still.
You have dozens of analytics companies that know my IP address yet seem to have no idea that I'm not a bot.

Oh look Mouser doesn't have this stupid press and hold crap. A bot can surely "press and hold" anyway?

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: DigiKey - Access to this page has been denied
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 05:41:55 am »
Mouser has captcha too. I use VPN and it triggers the captcha a lot. Mouser uses the sliding puzzle piece one.

Just went there and searched for a random part number - got to see a beautiful picture.

No idea how it is supposed to work. This seems trivial for a computer to solve.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 05:44:51 am by ataradov »
Alex

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 07:38:52 am »
No idea how it is supposed to work. This seems trivial for a computer to solve.
Solve it like a computer perfectly straight lines of movement and immediate attention and it'll notice, solve it like a human with wiggly movement and some thinking time and it lets you though.

Better than the aggressive reCAPTCHA tests that if you solve it quickly come back with n more questions until you've done "sufficient" work for google.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 09:38:51 am »
Shooting yourself in the foot and losing customers is fashionable now...  :)

I think the simple solution is to update the date in the cookies so that the last captcha check is always fresh.
And sorry for my English.

The following users thanked this post: Zeyneb

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 09:39:25 am »
It's because web development today is done by clowns. Also, we changed your completely functional website now, and it's a lot of white space, less info for the screen. But at least it renders on a phone now, that nobody uses.

The following users thanked this post: amyk, Zeyneb

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 09:53:35 am »
It's because web development today is done by clowns. Also, we changed your completely functional website now, and it's a lot of white space, less info for the screen. But at least it renders on a phone now, that nobody uses.

This is because they are young and have never seen the WinNT (XP classic) interface - compact, intuitive, businesslike and convenient.  :)

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 01:12:37 pm »
Glad I'm not the only one who can use a computer well enough I get confused for a robot constantly.

There are businesses/sites I don't use anymore due to this constant captcha crap. Like I don't buy car parts without looking them up first, can't look anything up at Oreilly without constant captchas, so screw em, one of the other big ones in town gets the money.

Making me work to do business because someone else's security sucks is a surefire way to piss me off, if I want to play games I have a large collection of better ones. Besides, didn't pushing buttons all day for someone else used to come with a paycheck? Where's my money for all this work we're doing? I want at least a dollar per interruption.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 01:28:40 pm by BrokenYugo »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2024, 01:18:24 pm »
Glad I'm not the only one who can use a computer well enough I get confused for a robot constantly.

There are businesses/sites I don't use anymore due to this constant captcha crap. Like I don't buy car parts without looking them up first, can't look anything up at Oreilly without constant captchas, so screw em, one of the other big ones in town gets the money.

Making me work to do business because someone else's security sucks is a surefire way to piss me off, if I want to play games I have a large collection of better ones. Besides, didn't pushing buttons all day for someone else under to come with a paycheck? Where's my money for all this work we're doing? I want at least a dollar per interruption.

They are excited that someone will use the information for free - they are greedy.  :)
If you visit to Chinese sites, especially video hosting - there is complete paranoia with captchas.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2024, 01:56:30 pm »
Solve it like a computer perfectly straight lines of movement and immediate attention and it'll notice, solve it like a human with wiggly movement and some thinking time and it lets you though.
Well, obviously the solver should add randomness to the movement. Don't even need to do anything smart, just record a few different movement patterns and use those as a solution.
Alex

Offline floobydustTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2024, 07:25:49 pm »
With such a primitive test "press and hold", I think it's just a money parasite for their website developers to enable.
What will a bot do anyway at DigiKey's website?  Scrape pricing and stock info, for some other distributor to give us a better deal? DDoS attack the 555 timer product page?

Is DigiKey putting any money into their website's customer experience?
I tried looking for a linear voltage regulator and choosing 3.3V output was a nightmare of shit picklists. They are full of stupid.
Any bots roaming that will just get poisoned... oh wait that's their website strategy.  A poison pill for AI and bots.

The following users thanked this post: BrokenYugo

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2024, 09:40:26 pm »
Many sales sites use anti-bot measures, aliexpress, taobao, ebay, etc. Plenty of reasons to do so: account hijacks, ddos, payment fraud, hacking, maybe scraping if it slows down the site.

Ranting about conspiracies here will have no impact, either stop using digikey, or tell them you are disappointed with the web experience using the feedback button.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: Smokey, ajb

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2024, 07:55:26 am »
Ranting about conspiracies here will have no impact, either stop using digikey, or tell them you are disappointed with the web experience using the feedback button.

I think people have the right and the inclination to share their thoughts with each other.
Just give an opinion and listen to something else. Just to talk about problems, etc.
Maybe this is inefficient, but these are normal people, they are not files that need to be distributed strictly according to the algorithm.
 :)

Offline Daixiwen

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2024, 11:24:03 am »
You can always get a bot to solve the captcha for you and save some time
https://github.com/dessant/buster

One can dream that one day all those sites will realize captchas are obsolete.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf