Author Topic: H5N1 bird flu and how we're risking another global pandemic  (Read 4404 times)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: H5N1 bird flu and how we're risking another global pandemic
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2024, 07:15:26 am »
There arge instances of immunization not working as intended and causing untoward reactions when the patient gets infected.  Past RSV immunizations are an example.

No one is disputing that a small number of people will have adverse reactions. It does happen. But rather, for the vast majority of the population (i.e.: almost everyone), it has a positive impact overall.

You're wasting your time; in the words of Simon and Garfunkel, "The man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest".

This is why I don't participate in these types of thread, they just attract the conspiracy nuts, and others, all of whom have apparently zero understanding of epidemiology, or statisitics and how to interpret them.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2024, 08:08:14 am »
There arge instances of immunization not working as intended and causing untoward reactions when the patient gets infected.  Past RSV immunizations are an example.

No one is disputing that a small number of people will have adverse reactions. It does happen. But rather, for the vast majority of the population (i.e.: almost everyone), it has a positive impact overall.

You're wasting your time; in the words of Simon and Garfunkel, "The man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest".

This is why I don't participate in these types of thread, they just attract the conspiracy nuts, and others, all of whom have apparently zero understanding of epidemiology, or statisitics and how to interpret them.

Sure, but my aim isn't to change the minds of those who are set in their ways, rather try to educate those who are willing to listen and consider facts from different sources. If we let the conspiracies run wild, there would be nothing other than "vaccines are poison" and "5G activates the nano-robots".

But yes you're right, these types of threads generally have a finite life, after which it just becomes utter chaos.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 08:13:20 am by Halcyon »

Online Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2024, 10:59:57 am »
You are not doing your homework. The past RSV immunization was a disaster.
When the immunized children got RSV after getting the immunization they became more ill than they would have had been otherwise.   
It was not just a very few who had an untoward reaction.  It is probably an example of "blocking antibody"   which is why I mentioned it.     
This was an old vaccine from the 1960s.  There are now newer, different RSV vaccines.         

From The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal   

https://journals.lww.com/pidj/fulltext/2019/10000/respiratory_syncytial_virus_vaccines__are_we.23.aspx

QUOTE:   
RSV vaccine development has been hindered after the safety concerns of the first RSV vaccine that was developed in the 1960s. The formalin-inactivated-whole virus alum-precipitated vaccine, which recent evidence indicating that it was directed against post-F, was associated in naive infants, but not older children, with enhanced RSV disease (ERD) and 2 deaths upon subsequent exposure to natural RSV. The mechanisms of ERD are not well understood, but it appears that an excess of non-neutralizing antibodies coupled with a skewed T-helper 2 (Th2) immune response, and complement deposition in the lungs contributed to its development. This is a critical aspect that is being considered for the development of inactivated vaccines, and strategies to assess safety risks according to the different vaccine platforms in the infant population are required.     
I suppose I should inform the Journal that they are Conspiracy Nuts who have no understanding of epidemiology or statistics   
Since we are quoting present day pop philosophy , how about: It Can't Happen Here by Zappa

« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 11:10:55 am by Wallace Gasiewicz »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2024, 11:04:57 am »
Do you realise that if you keep taking a vaccine you loose immunity to the disease it is for? This is one of the body's regulatory mechanisms, which limits auto-immune diseases from wiping us out.
Coppice, come on! I expected better from you. This isn't the case at all.
So, you think more and more is better and better? That's unlikely to be true. Everything in a biological system is about balance. Not to little of something and not too much. Why would you expect the immune system to be any different? Try reading on the topic, and you'll find exposure to pathogens, whether natural or mutated ones in vaccines, is the same kind of balancing act as most other things you may put in your body. There are reasons why vaccines have a dosage program, and its more than just too much is wasteful. Try reading on the topic. COVID got me interested in the immune system, so I read. There is plenty of easily accessible material out there. The interplay of the immune response to infections, and how well the body cleans up its own mutations, and avoids them developing into tumours is really interesting. The thymus is a pretty interesting organ, that's only really active in early childhood, and whose purpose is to help train the body's immune system to distinguish self from non-self. Without that functioning a baby descends into an auto-immune death spiral. The thymus is a fascinating natural solution to bootstrapping a functional system.

Most of what people colloquially refer to as vaccine booster programs aren't. A lot of people say they take a flu shot each year, like its the same shot over and over. It isn't. Its a new cocktail every year, based on the flu variants that seem to be around.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2024, 11:19:29 am »
Around here original flu shot gave some narcolepsy symptoms, mostly permanent I guess.
Then the vast majority of vocal minority were crying major error in vaccine.
Adjuvant was the supposed cause back then, also a must for enough shots in time, of unknown H1N1 spreading.
Spanish flu was the obvious scare, and dropping out from the vaccine queue.

Same time China was giving that same vaccine and quite a bit more than here.
Final outcome, that had only very little news coverage, was that vaccine wasn't the thing, it was genetical.
So the live virus, that was not present in vaccine, was the reason, combined with a genetical exposure.
Good thing was that all compensations were left in place, without any hassle.

One other thing, live viruses and their doings.
My guess is that many don't understand what it means for everyday life and exposure.
Especially when very viral bug is in question, like norovirus.

One thought for young vs. old.
If virus goes to lungs it's, up to the point, good the have worse than better immunity.
Very good immunity can hit back so hard the you'll finally suffocate.

Then there is this society vs. individual.
Maybe a poll of how high hit rate one would still try to miss.
I've heard that some have tried 1/6.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2024, 11:30:37 am »
One thought for young vs. old.
If virus goes to lungs it's, up to the point, good the have worse than better immunity.
Very good immunity can hit back so hard the you'll finally suffocate.
That was what made SARS in 2003 so nasty. Quite a number of young fit people's immune systems went into overdrive and killed them. There never seemed to be much publicity about that, but I know people in the HK medical system who told me some harrowing stories.

Online NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2024, 10:31:42 pm »
https://twitter.com/danibeckman/status/1786650661603446976?t=Ox8-l5JlhQi3QBapsjTsVg
Not a good development. More spreading, more chances for mutations.

All the talk about vaccines misses the point that if there weren't factory farms to multiply the virus so efficiently, there would be less chance of an outbreak happening in the first place and therefore the vaccines to keep it under control would be less important.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2024, 11:00:27 pm »
Dude, you should not miss appointments with your psychiatrist.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2024, 01:14:20 am »
Factory farming causing pandemics is not a conspiracy theory. It has happened before.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/20/factory-farms-pandemic-risk-covid-animal-human-health
But with recent pandemic virus threats from influenza viruses such as H1N1 (swine flu) or H5N1 (bird flu) there is no ambiguity: those viruses evolved on chicken and pig factory farms. Genetic analyses have shown that crucial components of H1N1 emerged from a virus circulating in North American pigs. But it is commercial poultry operations that appear to be the Silicon Valley of viral development.

It is on chicken factory farms that we have most frequently found viruses that have mutated from a form found only in animals into a form that harms humans (what scientists call “antigenic shift”). It is these “novel” viruses that our immune systems are unfamiliar with and that can prove most deadly.

Of 16 strains of novel influenza viruses currently identified by the CDC as “of special concern,” including H5N1, 11 come from viruses of the H5 or H7 type. In 2018 a group of scientists analysed the 39 antigenic shifts, also called “conversion events,” that we know played a key role in the emergence of these particularly dangerous strains. Their results prove that “all but two of these events were reported in commercial poultry production systems”.

Imagine if our military leaders told us that almost every terrorist in recent memory had spent time in the same training camp, but no politician would call for an investigation of the training camp. Imagine if we knew that those terrorists were developing weapons more destructive than any that has been used, or tested, in human history. This is our situation when it comes to pandemics and farming.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2024, 01:22:43 am »
why worry about it, about the only thing guaranteed with life,apart from tax ,is death.

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2024, 02:00:03 am »
Raising awareness of the problem and pushing for solutions as it could have worldwide impact.

Offline fred001

« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2024, 04:59:53 am »
Free range farming allows viruses to move back and forth easily between factory farms and wild birds

Too bad this topic has nothing to do with electronics

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2024, 06:59:52 am »

Then there's all the other misinformation exaggerating the efficacy of masks, keeping 2m apart etc. which lacked rigorous evidence to support and the authoritarian policies copied from Communist China. It appears as though the public health authorities did their level best to destroy their reputation.

And what proof is there that distancing does not work?
It isn't. I didn't say that it's proof that masks and keeping 2m apart don't work, just that there's no strong evidence they do. The Cochrane review into masking found it to be inconclusive and as far as I'm aware no studies have been conducted into whether keeping 2m apart does anything to reduce the spread or not. And why 2m? Perhaps 1m would have done? Or maybe we needed to keep 3m or 5m apart? Where's the evidence?

It would be different if we were just advised to wear masks and keep 2m apart. That wouldn't have been ideal, given the lack of evidence, but the fact we were forced to, under pain of a fine, is disgusting. If the authorities are going to punish people for breaking rules, then there needs to be extremely strong evidence to support them in the first place.

Both distancing and masks rely on basic physics! You want a study? go an throw some tennis balls and notice that the further they go the closer to the ground they get. And that if you through them as several layers of nets they will no go nearly as far. What you are asking for in the equivalent to arguing about the distance to the moon because a tape measure was not used.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2024, 12:09:59 pm »
Free range farming allows viruses to move back and forth easily between factory farms and wild birds
Viruses spread a lot easier if the animals are kept unnaturally close together. And that the poor health of the animals makes them more vulnerable to disease in the first place.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2024, 03:23:53 pm »
Viruses spread a lot easier if the animals are kept unnaturally close together. And that the poor health of the animals makes them more vulnerable to disease in the first place.
Poor health is not the case. The idea that factory farmed animals are mostly sick isn't true. If they where all sick, the farmer wouldn't make a profit as only healthy animals are allowed into the human food chain. I have a bit of background knowledge where it comes to chicken farming and slaughtering chickens.

There is just no way around keeping animals close together in order to farm these in a commercially viable way to meet demand. And for a lot of animals it is not unnatural to be close together. Cows, sheep, gees, chickens, horses, etc are all animals who naturally live in herds. Herds provide protection against predators.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 04:13:15 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2024, 05:22:12 pm »
Poor health is not the case. The idea that factory farmed animals are mostly sick isn't true. If they where all sick, the farmer wouldn't make a profit as only healthy animals are allowed into the human food chain. I have a bit of background knowledge where it comes to chicken farming and slaughtering chickens.
All the pictures of factory farms being as dirty as a sewer says otherwise. Maybe it's better in some countries than others, the US is one where regulations are too lax.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2024, 07:26:23 pm »

Then there's all the other misinformation exaggerating the efficacy of masks, keeping 2m apart etc. which lacked rigorous evidence to support and the authoritarian policies copied from Communist China. It appears as though the public health authorities did their level best to destroy their reputation.

And what proof is there that distancing does not work?
It isn't. I didn't say that it's proof that masks and keeping 2m apart don't work, just that there's no strong evidence they do. The Cochrane review into masking found it to be inconclusive and as far as I'm aware no studies have been conducted into whether keeping 2m apart does anything to reduce the spread or not. And why 2m? Perhaps 1m would have done? Or maybe we needed to keep 3m or 5m apart? Where's the evidence?

It would be different if we were just advised to wear masks and keep 2m apart. That wouldn't have been ideal, given the lack of evidence, but the fact we were forced to, under pain of a fine, is disgusting. If the authorities are going to punish people for breaking rules, then there needs to be extremely strong evidence to support them in the first place.

Both distancing and masks rely on basic physics! You want a study? go an throw some tennis balls and notice that the further they go the closer to the ground they get. And that if you through them as several layers of nets they will no go nearly as far. What you are asking for in the equivalent to arguing about the distance to the moon because a tape measure was not used.
But actual field studies, conducted in real life have failed to show masking actually works in practice. Fair enough, it doesn't prove a negative, but it certainly doesn't prove positive either.

The Cochrane review even looked at N95/P2 respirators.
https://www.cochrane.org/CD006207/ARI_do-physical-measures-such-hand-washing-or-wearing-masks-stop-or-slow-down-spread-respiratory-viruses

Perhaps mask work, when worn properly? It doesn't matter, the fact not enough people wear them properly in real life to be effective, shows that the mandates lacked evidence.

Many failed medications and interventions have good science behind them.

Given most proposed medical interventions, even those with sound theory, don't work, it's reasonable to believe something doesn't work, until there's solid proof it does.

Do you realise that if you keep taking a vaccine you loose immunity to the disease it is for?
:palm: FFS It is exactly the other way around! Vaccines train your immune system against virusses. For mutating virusses, you'll need regular updates to stay current. It is like airplane pilots taking courses in a simulator to learn what to do in an emergency situation for a different airplane.
Repeat infections will do the same.

As I stated in another post, the risk of some adverse events due to the vaccine might higher than the virus for some people, so it makes no sense for them to get vaccinated.

If you've had COVID once and survived, you're much less likely to get really sick if you catch it again. This is also because the virus is mutating to become less deadly, as well as memory T-cells.

Sure, but my aim isn't to change the minds of those who are set in their ways, rather try to educate those who are willing to listen and consider facts from different sources. If we let the conspiracies run wild, there would be nothing other than "vaccines are poison" and "5G activates the nano-robots".

But yes you're right, these types of threads generally have a finite life, after which it just becomes utter chaos.
Except being sceptical of COVID and seasonal influenza boosters is not a fringe position, based on conspiracy theories. I don't appeal to authority so won't post any names, but there are plenty of highly esteemed medical experts who are respiratory virus/mRNA vaccine septics.

The fact I've changed my position on this, shows I'm open to accepting new ideas and evidence.

I supported the first two doses of the vaccine, especially for older, more vulnerable people, when the virus was more deadly and fewer people had natural immunity.

I became sceptical when the boosters started. There simply isn't randomised data to support it.

Not taking natural immunity into account was also a big mistake. When the vaccine was initially rolled-out, no attention to natural immunity was paid. A 60 year old who had had a positive test result a month ago, was still vaccinated before a 50 year old who had not had a known infection.

A lot of misinformation was pushed about antibodies, i.e. that someone who had been infected while ago and their antibodies had dropped below a detectable level, was just as vulnerable to getting really sick, as the first time, if they caught it again, but this is not the case. Memory T-cells are the key to lasting protection against severe disease. They persist in the bone marrow for decades and enable the body to rapidly generate antibodies, when it encounters a similar virus. This will provide some protection against severe disease and death, even if the virus has mutated a bit and isn't exactly the same, due to cross-immunity.

People who were infected with the original SARS still had memory T-cells over a decade later. Although it's not proven, they would be much less likely become just as sick, if they were exposed to the virus again.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7115611/
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 07:45:02 pm by Zero999 »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2024, 08:06:57 pm »
This is a ludicrous argument. Certainly sufficient distance will isolated you. Certainly a sufficiently effective mask will protect you. The few long term studies that existed at the outset of COVID said 2m separation for respiratory viruses was far too small to have a meaningful effect, and public policy had always followed that. Long term studies also indicated that simple cloth masks were never seen to be beneficial, and buildups on them seemed to often have a negative effect with respiratory viruses. I do agree that for the next epidemic of tennis balls, their flight path will be a lot more predictable than a COVID virus, as tennis balls aren't affected much by air currents.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2024, 10:52:14 pm »
What does this even remotely have to do with electronics at all?
Thread locked.

The following users thanked this post: hans, Zucca, coromonadalix, Gyro, Jacon, SiliconWizard, AVGresponding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf